If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: If you don't like the sioux....do you have a better suggesti

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:32 pm

ummm.......not a very good analogy. Sioux name supporters compared to KKK?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Roughrider » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:05 pm

thats not even in the same ballpark to be comparing the KKK with the name supporters
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Roughrider wrote:thats not even in the same ballpark to be comparing the KKK with the name supporters

Its is comparable. The Sioux name supporters support the use of the name Sioux. The KKK supports the use of the word used to describe black people that we shall not mention. Both of these obviously make the other group angry.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:39 pm

balla45 wrote:
Roughrider wrote:thats not even in the same ballpark to be comparing the KKK with the name supporters

Its is comparable. The Sioux name supporters support the use of the name Sioux. The KKK supports the use of the word used to describe black people that we shall not mention. Both of these obviously make the other group angry.

I hate to say it but the KKK has a right to their group and stances. Same with their speech and rallies. They have an opinion just like we do. I dont agree with the KKK, but dissent is part of democracy and our country.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Ming01 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

I hate to say it but the KKK has a right to their group and stances. Same with their speech and rallies. They have an opinion just like we do. I dont agree with it, but dissent is part of democracy and our country.

I actually do like the edit. They do have that right, much like the Sioux supporters have the right to complain about the name. I was simply talking about the comparison. Also, it is illegal to call a black woman, maybe man even, a word used to describe black people that we shall not mention. It is terrorizing I guess.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsking09 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:32 pm

you guys have to be kidding me, comparing sioux name supporters to kkk memebers, first of all sioux supporters havent murdered anyone over them wanting the sioux name used, second, sioux supports don't hold rallies and parades getting people to show support and try to join the cause, and third that is an actual group that you have to be brought in through ceremonies and what not and it also has different group positions, where as sioux nickname and logo supporters just want to keep the name as is and dont go around killing and fighting people, having parades supporting the sioux name and rallies supporting the sioux name, or try to get people to join them in supporting the name. It blows my mind anyone would even compare sioux name supporters to KKK members, unbelievable!!!!
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Roughrider » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:29 am

Exactly, its not even a valid argument
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:59 am

I don't honestly like comparing the two of them because they are on different ends of the spectrum, but they are on the same spectrum. The KKK wants to preserve the dominance of the white race, while the supporters want to preserve the name. The KKK knows that they do not have support of minorities, just like the name Sioux does not.

Those are the only two things I can find that they have in common.

If you want to go about it the other way: The Sioux supporters don't hold rallies, kill black people, burn crosses, etc. So, while the two groups are comparable, it takes ALOT of work to make the comparison.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:21 am

whoever compared UND supporters to the KKK does not deserve to have an opinion anymore.
project-pat

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 am

project-pat wrote:whoever compared UND supporters to the KKK does not deserve to have an opinion anymore.

I don't think I made the original comparison. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Roughrider » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:53 pm

yes but there is a difference between a good a valid opinion to one that just doesnt make any sense at all and should have never been thought let alone said out loud
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Roughrider wrote:yes but there is a difference between a good a valid opinion to one that just doesnt make any sense at all and should have never been thought let alone said out loud

2+2=5 is not a valid opinion. Comparing a group of people who use a name that others hate to another group of people that use a name that others hate, is a valid opinion. It does make sense, it just isn't a good argument. It can be argued, just not well.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 am

I am the one that made the statement and I stand by my statement. You said that you have a strong family tradition, and you are proud. Well, aren't the KKK a family and don't they carry a stong pride in their family! Just because you have a strong pride and tradition doesn't make it right!

I carry a strong belief in that my anciestors that where depicted as "SIOUX" do not want to be a mascot or a logo on a jersey or on the back of a seat!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scruffy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:26 pm

My suggestion....If you don't like the Sioux, then don't go there or don't support them.. :shock:
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:45 pm

scruffy wrote:My suggestion....If you don't like the Sioux, then don't go there or don't support them.. :shock:

I have 0 problems with the school. I had 0 problems with the name. It only bothers me, because a certain group of people think they have the right to disrespect another group of people. If they had support of the tribes, I would have 0 problems with the name, but they don't.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Pretty soon their wont be any nicknames cuz PETA will prolly protest animal names
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Ming01 wrote:Pretty soon their wont be any nicknames cuz PETA will prolly protest animal names

Comparing Native Americans to animals will not earn you any points.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:01 am

balla45 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:Pretty soon their wont be any nicknames cuz PETA will prolly protest animal names

please tell me where in that sentense did I compare native americans to animals...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:20 am

Ming01 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

please tell me where in that sentense did I compare native americans to animals...

Topic is only about Sioux. By bringing in the PETA thing, you are, at least to me, comparing people to animals.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Roughrider » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am

balla45 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Topic is only about Sioux. By bringing in the PETA thing, you are, at least to me, comparing people to animals.

i fail to see where he compared people to animals
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsking09 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:49 pm

i fail to see when and where the sioux name and logo get disrespected. have any of you who are argueing that the name is disrespectful ever even been to a sioux hockey or sioux football game. myself being part native american and being to both a sioux hockey and football game i find no disrespect toward native americans in either place, but instead i see signs of honor that make me feel proud to know that they are representing my ancestors as brave warriors and mighty warriors. i also feel proud when a team using my ancestors name goes and makes it repeatedly to the national championships and are some of the best teams in the country in their division. All I have to say, is i hope that the tribes can see it how i see it and change their mind and decide to feel the honor that i feel and best of all GO SIOUX!!!
University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, and thats the way its gonna stay
GO SIOUX!!!!
sportsking09
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Roughrider wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

I will give you an example. I will use this because I have done this before. If you and I were debating whether or not slavery was opressive, and I was talking about how black people were forced to do work, and you countered that animals are also forced to do work, you are comparing people to animals. Now, if you are talking about Sioux (Native Americans, or people) and you compare their situation to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of ANIMALS) you are then comparing people to animals.

Do you understand now?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:33 pm

balla45 wrote:
Roughrider wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

I will give you an example. I will use this because I have done this before. If you and I were debating whether or not slavery was opressive, and I was talking about how black people were forced to do work, and you countered that animals are also forced to do work, you are comparing people to animals. Now, if you are talking about Sioux (Native Americans, or people) and you compare their situation to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of ANIMALS) you are then comparing people to animals.

Do you understand now?

I;m still waiting for you to tell me where I compared Native Americans to animals... just because I mentioned PETA doesnt mean I am comparing them. You are blowing my comment way out of proportion. I was just stating that soon we could no longer have any nicknames because PETA could protest animal names. Still not comparing the two. I could bring up many other different organizations or types of ppl, but it doesn't mean I'm comparing them.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:04 am

Ming01 wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Roughrider wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Do you understand now?

I;m still waiting for you to tell me where I compared Native Americans to animals... just because I mentioned PETA doesnt mean I am comparing them. You are blowing my comment way out of proportion. I was just stating that soon we could no longer have any nicknames because PETA could protest animal names. Still not comparing the two. I could bring up many other different organizations or types of ppl, but it doesn't mean I'm comparing them.

I did tell you. I'm not really blowing it out of proportion, I don't think its a big deal. Part of the reason I looked at it that way is because, like I said, I have just been in a debate where slavery was compared to dog fighting. That is probably why I took your comment out of context. That is my fault.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 am

scruffy wrote:My suggestion....If you don't like the Sioux, then don't go there or don't support them.. :shock:

That has got to be one of the dummest suggestions I have heard yet. So if I don't like the name and believe strongly that the use of the name Cartoonizes my anciestory I should just turn my cheek? Wow! You can't just jump in with your lame/ignorant suggestions without getting an earful!!

That is like saying, if you don't like what Bush is doing, don't pay attention to the news!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges