Mayville State FB

No smack talk is allowed here.

Re: Mayville State FB

Postby deere » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Mayville State Football can only beat two teams....SD Tech and the Anne Carlson School (if they are lucky)....cut the program...please
deere

Postby ndfan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:44 am

How much longer will the DAC be around?? Mary left a few years ago and they still haven't been replaced them so they have to play each other twice a year. At some point another school is gonna move I would think.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 am

ndfan wrote:How much longer will the DAC be around?? Mary left a few years ago and they still haven't been replaced them so they have to play each other twice a year. At some point another school is gonna move I would think.

like who? and where do they go? NSIC is full...if d2 schools woudld've filled up the NCC i'd agree, but right now there really arent many d2 conference openings
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby dtvman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:38 am

I don't see there being a problem with the DAC going away. There are 8 schools with football in the confernce. That is definitely not too small of a number for a conference. I don't understand why they are scheduling the extra non conference game. I think they need to try a bit harder to find a game to fill that spot. Maybe the conference could find another conference to work with to play the 10th game. I would think they could find schools in Iowa, Nebraska, Minn., or Montana to play.
As far as getting rid of the program that is rediculous. I said it before and I will say it again. These schools need to try to recuit more locally. That is what is going to get people to go to the games. If I live in the area and my kid is playing for a local college, I am gonna go to the games. People are not showing up to watch a bunch of strangers from a different state. The appeal is not there like it is for the bigger schools. The first step to building success in a program is creating revenue. Parents will go no matter how successful the program. More people in the seats means more revenue. More revenue will help build a stronger program.
dtvman

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:50 am

dtvman wrote:I don't see there being a problem with the DAC going away. There are 8 schools with football in the confernce. That is definitely not too small of a number for a conference. I don't understand why they are scheduling the extra non conference game. I think they need to try a bit harder to find a game to fill that spot. Maybe the conference could find another conference to work with to play the 10th game. I would think they could find schools in Iowa, Nebraska, Minn., or Montana to play.
As far as getting rid of the program that is rediculous. I said it before and I will say it again. These schools need to try to recuit more locally. That is what is going to get people to go to the games. If I live in the area and my kid is playing for a local college, I am gonna go to the games. People are not showing up to watch a bunch of strangers from a different state. The appeal is not there like it is for the bigger schools. The first step to building success in a program is creating revenue. Parents will go no matter how successful the program. More people in the seats means more revenue. More revenue will help build a stronger program.

I am so with you on that. If you are a fund-raiser and trying to get local money for scholarships. Why not see the teams recruit locally and put the money in the hands of local kids that at least have a 50/50 shot of staying in the state after graduation. Makes me sick to see a kid from south, east or west coast take local scholarship money and then when that dries up, you never see them in ND again.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 am

I disagree that mayville does not try to recruit locally. Just last week he met with thirty players from the area and took them to the local pizza place for a recruiting trip. The thing that makes me sick is that there isn't more kids from the area who want to play college football. BUt once again it comes down to the fact that kids don't want to win three games in four years. I would rather see good athletes from another region than kids from around here who don't care. If coach ford could build a program around kids from just this area he would.
PA42

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:10 am

well horne98, scc, and anyone else mayville whose the next contestant as the Mayville State head coach??? I believe he makes it offical to the player tomorrow. I'd say if there is anybody with local or state ties to hire them...if ya hire a coach from out of state he will either be fired or leave like ford did within 3 to 4 years.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:21 pm

It sounds like Nathan Chin will be named either head coach or interim head coach. He is the offensive coordinator right now and has held the position for the past two years. I hope they open up the position again, I know of a couple coaches in the area who have ties to the university and have plenty of expierence but who knows if they are interested in the job at all.
PA42

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:21 pm

I know I'm homerish when I say it but they made the mistake by not hiring Oksendahl a couple years ago. He couldn't have done any worse then the last two head coaches. I say ya hire from within in if your successful, mayville has not so i dont think chin should be the man. just my thought.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:39 pm

I do wish they would open up the position and get a strong local coach who can recruit the area. Giving it to the o-coordinator would be a mistake in my opinion.

Best case scenario - local coach, lots of ties with local high school coaches and players, and recruit like crazy within a 100 mile or so radius; that means Fargo and Grand Forks too - lots of quality kids in those programs that don't go on to college football because nobody recruits them.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm

I don't like the move...He may prove me wrong but I highly doubt it.... He doesn't last more then 3 years in mayville.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:54 pm

He was hired to keep team unity. A lot of guys wouldn't have stayed if they didn't know who their coach was so late in the school year. I wish him the best of luck, because he was the guy hired all the rest is under the bridge.
PA42

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:46 pm

It will be interesting to see how many guys come back to mayville next year that are already there.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old lineman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:42 pm

I played at Mayville a long time ago worst season 5-4, best 6-3. Al Homes was the coach he had kids from Drake, Fisher, GF, Grafton, a bunch from Central Valley and M-P and Hatton. The stands were full. After graduation when Stan Rettew was there I called and said "hey there are a few kids from here and ther that could play'" NO ONE CONTACTED THEM. Coach holmes had us make lists of kids that we played against and with that we thought would be players, what a great idea. Football is a game of numbers and I hope that there could be as many local kids on the roster at Mayville as ther is at Jamestown or Minot. Some of my teammates have kids old enough to play-there parents are alums. No body talked to them. It would not tke much to have some of these kids come play. The local sports writer in the Mayville paper jabs Stephen -Argyle Football. How many Borowitz's and other kids from that area were real good 4 year athletes at Mayville. Get local kids to play-they bring buddies with. If there is local kids, ND and MN You will get $$$$ support. The other number part of football.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:55 am

Anybody know what recruits MaSU got this year? I saw VCSU got a bunch of talented local kids....wish Mayville would do the same. At least there would be more interest in the team and more fans in the stands.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:27 am

I have checked there website and have not seen anything there or in the local papers.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:41 am

I'm guessing we won't see anything real offical with them tell the season starts, cause they probably don't even know who will show up come August. For the few scholarships they give out, no one that says they are going to Mayville has to.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:56 pm

I did hear that they have a kid from Cavalier that has committed.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:22 pm

is the old tornado coach coming too??
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:44 pm

cubsfan wrote:I did hear that they have a kid from Cavalier that has committed.

Hopefully that recruit is Charlie Wellman if not I don't see it being a big deal.... Oksendahl is the coach you must be talking about 9manfootballmom and Mayville burned that bridge a couple years. They just keep hiring within the last couple guys. Nathan Chin is the new coach I don't think much is gonna change at Mayville they don't play tech twice this year so they will probably only win 1 game at the most this year.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 pm

I believe his name is Alex Ricard. The center and defensive end for the Tornados this past season. Another good signing from Cavalier would be Patrick Askew. I know there has been controversy surrounding him on the board, but he was arguably the best player on there defense.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 pm

I believe they had a Zach Ricard who graduated and Nick Askew. These are two guys that could be big for mayville when they are Juniors or Seniors if they make it. Nicks a solid athlete the problem I see with him is the DAC is very Physical and I just wonder if he can take the big hits. But the best of luck to both of them there.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby old lineman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:53 pm

Great to see a couple kids that are local become Comets, I would hope that they venture accross the river to Stephen - Argyle` to get a couple of those boys. Now go for the trifecta get a Hillsboro, Hatton, and a M-P kid.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:34 am

I know tony evanstad who graduated in 07 has committed to play next season. He will most likely be a safety. Very athletic and has good strength. Hillsboro only graduated a number of players from this years team. Mayville would be happy and lucky to get any of those players.
PA42

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:07 pm

horne98 wrote:I know tony evanstad who graduated in 07 has committed to play next season. He will most likely be a safety. Very athletic and has good strength. Hillsboro only graduated a number of players from this years team. Mayville would be happy and lucky to get any of those players.

speakin of H-N players...i know this is the Mayville State topic, but the other day i saw on VCSU recruiting list that they signed ex all state running back Blake Prosser, anyone know if thats true?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges