Bohl

No smack talk is allowed here.

Bohl

Postby point/center » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:41 am

looks like Bohl is interested in going to the MAC. Makes sense to me. Reported on Chicago Tribune.com that he would make over $325,000. No it's not a BCS conference, but how does a 40% raise sound to a guy?

I say if he doesnt want the job he wouldnt even visit the school.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Re: Bohl

Postby tcbison » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:41 pm

point/center wrote:looks like Bohl is interested in going to the MAC. Makes sense to me. Reported on Chicago Tribune.com that he would make over $325,000. No it's not a BCS conference, but how does a 40% raise sound to a guy?

Kinda like Coach Lennon when he went to Montana State...
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:59 pm

tcbison wrote:
point/center wrote:looks like Bohl is interested in going to the MAC. Makes sense to me. Reported on Chicago Tribune.com that he would make over $325,000. No it's not a BCS conference, but how does a 40% raise sound to a guy?

I don't buy it. Either way it sounds like he's already falling back on the potential list with McCarney throwing his hat in the ring.

It still say if he wants to stay at NDSU so bad, he wouldnt even be looking.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:08 pm

He's NDSU's coach until we hear otherwise. I have a feeling he'll be in Fargo at least another year.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby gabe » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:16 pm

He has to be OFFERED the job before he can take it. He's been interviewed and he doesn't have a job yet. My gut tells me he's either turned it down or wasn't offered.

I never believe the Forum and it's funny how 2 articles can look so differently...

The Chicago Tribune article...
Bohl was listed at the bottom as a candidate who spoke with the AD about the job. He was the last name on the list and there were quite a few other candidates who were equally or more qualified. I got the gut feeling he's not the first choice.

The Forum...
had a giant "TOP STORY!" write up! After reading it, you would think he's already accepted a position. It's your classic case of trying to make a story appear larger than it really is so they can sell newspapers. It's funny because Bohl already met with the AD and the Bison's AD said he has not been contacted.

Either way, you can't fault a guy for listening to an offer. Dale Lennon did it last year too with Montana.

I don't think he will leave for a MAC school unless the circumstances are perfect.

WHY WOULD HE LEAVE?
MONEY?

When it's all said and done, he's not looking at much of a raise. In Fargo, he makes about 200K with the TV show and all. In Chicago, he would make about 300K with the TV show. Given the cost of living difference, it's not even that big of a raise.

PRESTIEGE?
He would be going to a 2-8 team in one of the weakest D1-A conferences in Football. The Bison beat the best team in that division by 30 points. He's a rock star and the lead story in the FM area and the rest of ND. He's a no name in Chicago. The Bison have been on ESPN more than Northern Illinois!

I think he is looking for a bigger opportunity. Not a 2-8 team in a pathetic conference.

Honestly the coach doesn't even really matter. The Bison won 3 Championships in 5 years with 3 different coaches. The coach does not make the program.

Here's a cool website I found http://areavoices.com/bisonnation
gabe

Postby EDC » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:44 pm

"the Bison's AD said he has not been contacted"

Pretty sure Taylor said he wasn't contacted by the Colorado school that Miles went to but later admitted he had been - that's the game that is played about these types of comments
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gabe » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:04 pm

Top story in Fargo. Bohl is not interested in the job. GEne Tayler said he was upset about the report because it's not true. It was reported by the Forum, WDAY news, KFGO, etc. I think he's not leaving unless he gets a job offer from a big time school and that is years away.
gabe

Postby Number7 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:22 pm

From a source close to Bohl, he does not want to leave NDSU unless he receives an offer from a big-time mid-major or a school in a BCS conference.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby gabe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:34 pm

point/center wrote:
tcbison wrote:

I don't buy it. Either way it sounds like he's already falling back on the potential list with McCarney throwing his hat in the ring.

It still say if he wants to stay at NDSU so bad, he wouldnt even be looking.

He wasn't looking. A phone call from a searching firm could be considered "making contact." He didn't even interview. It was the media trying to stir the pot and make headlines. Every job that is an upgrade has been filled. 99.9% chance Bohl remains here for a long time. However... Dale Lennon did interview for Montana State. That is a fact.
gabe

Postby lucky7 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Bohl will not be in Fargo " a long time." He will be here this year and gone the next.
lucky7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:29 pm

The S. Illinois coach took the NIU job

http://www.southernillinoisan.com/artic ... 862621.txt
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:34 pm

I'm really surprised Lennon took the SIU job. Looks like he'll be playing NDSU every year now. Tough blow for a UND, who's also looking for an AD. Hopefully they can find someone to lead them through the transition to FCS.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:33 pm

lucky7 wrote:Bohl will not be in Fargo " a long time." He will be here this year and gone the next.

I talked to a guy who played for NDSU this past year and he made it sound like Bohl wasnt in any type of hurry to leave Fargo. either he was going to leave this year or not any time soon the way he was talking
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:46 pm

money talks....wonder if the Central Michigan coach gets WVU job? gotta think the money in the MAC is better than the money in the FCS.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:58 am

point/center wrote:money talks....wonder if the Central Michigan coach gets WVU job? gotta think the money in the MAC is better than the money in the FCS.

I am sure it is, but Bohl will most likely only leave for a BCS job.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby tcbison » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:00 am

point/center wrote:money talks....wonder if the Central Michigan coach gets WVU job? gotta think the money in the MAC is better than the money in the FCS.

Central Michigan is using a spread offense not the West Coast/power running offense that NDSU has been using. It would be interesting.

point/center did you see Dale Lennon leaving?
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:12 am

yeah--good for him...UND is a train wreck..no AD, no FB coach

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:02 pm

point/center wrote:yeah--good for him...UND is a train wreck..no AD, no FB coach

And a president retiring......throw on the logo/nickname issue.....
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND_9296 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:52 pm

point/center wrote:yeah--good for him...UND is a train wreck..no AD, no FB coach

Football coach will probably be announced Friday. New president will be announced in early February. I'd expect a new a.d. (Blais? Bollinger?) to be hired shortly thereafter. While it's unfortunate to have so many changes in close succession, it's not like things won't work themselves out in pretty short order.
UND_9296

Postby baseball18 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:54 pm

UND_9296 wrote:

Football coach will probably be announced Friday. New president will be announced in early February. I'd expect a new a.d. (Blais? Bollinger?) to be hired shortly thereafter. While it's unfortunate to have so many changes in close succession, it's not like things won't work themselves out in pretty short order.

still a major train wreck
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:05 pm

baseball18 wrote:
UND_9296 wrote:

But a model train wreck, not a real one.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND_9296 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:39 am

baseball18 wrote:
UND_9296 wrote:

To me, a "major trainwreck" would be an athletic department where most of the high-profile teams under-achieve (e.g. Minnesota); where there are multiple serious crimes being committed (e.g. Montana State); where academic performance is poor; or where there are huge budget problems. Whether you like UND or hate UND, one has to admit that they have some very good programs, particularly football, hockey and women's basketball; they have very nice facilities; they have an $11 million-plus budget and do not operate at a substantial loss; academic performance is typically very high; and criminal activity is pretty minimal among athletes. It's unfortunate to lose Lennon, but that alone isn't going to sink the football program. Do people think NDSU football will go into the tank when Bohl leaves? Doubtful.
Last edited by UND_9296 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND_9296

Postby point/center » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:00 am

UND_9296 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:
UND_9296 wrote:

To me, a "major trainwreck" would be an athletic department where most of the high-profile teams under-achieve (e.g. Minnesota); where there are multiple serious crimes being committed (e.g. Montana State); where academic performance is poor; or where there are huge budget problems. Whether you like UND or hate UND, one has to admit that they have some very good programs, particularly football, hockey and women's basketball; they have very nice facilities; they have an $11 million-plus budget and do not operate at a substantial loss; acadamic performance is typically very high; and criminal activity is pretty minimal among athletes. It's unfortunate to lose Lennon, but that alone isn't going to sink the football program. Do people think NDSU football will go into the tank when Bohl leaves? Doubtful.

I can't speak for any other definitions of train wreck. While the FB program may be in decent shape, the AD/Pres situation is an admin trainwreck. Which wouldnt make life as a FB coach real easy.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND_9296 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:46 am

point/center wrote:
UND_9296 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:
UND_9296 wrote:

To me, a "major trainwreck" would be an athletic department where most of the high-profile teams under-achieve (e.g. Minnesota); where there are multiple serious crimes being committed (e.g. Montana State); where academic performance is poor; or where there are huge budget problems. Whether you like UND or hate UND, one has to admit that they have some very good programs, particularly football, hockey and women's basketball; they have very nice facilities; they have an $11 million-plus budget and do not operate at a substantial loss; acadamic performance is typically very high; and criminal activity is pretty minimal among athletes. It's unfortunate to lose Lennon, but that alone isn't going to sink the football program. Do people think NDSU football will go into the tank when Bohl leaves? Doubtful.

I can't speak for any other definitions of train wreck. While the FB program may be in decent shape, the AD/Pres situation is an admin trainwreck. Which wouldnt make life as a FB coach real easy.

I guess I just don't think this is as big of a deal as some others. Kupchella is retiring. That kind of thing happens all over the country. His successor will be named in less than a month. It really didn't make sense to hire Buning's replacement until the new president is hired. I strongly suspect that once the new president is hired, we'll see either Dean Blais or Rob Bollinger as the new a.d. Bollinger probably should have gotten the job the last time around. Many schools have faced far bigger challenges than this and survived very nicely.
UND_9296

Postby flatlander » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:26 pm

UND_9296 wrote:I guess I just don't think this is as big of a deal as some others. Kupchella is retiring. That kind of thing happens all over the country. His successor will be named in less than a month. It really didn't make sense to hire Buning's replacement until the new president is hired. I strongly suspect that once the new president is hired, we'll see either Dean Blais or Rob Bollinger as the new a.d. Bollinger probably should have gotten the job the last time around. Many schools have faced far bigger challenges than this and survived very nicely.

The problem is that Kupchella refuses to involve himself with the athletic department anymore. He was going to retire the nickname and he got bee-yotch slapped. Then he said he didn't want DI and got overruled. Since then I think he has washed his hands of the athletic department and appointed Harmeson to deal with it (not sure what Phil Harmeson's title is, but he seems to act as a middlman between the AD and the President).

So UND is not a train wreck; they are a ship whose captain has locked himself in a cabin and whose first mate was forced to walk the plank by mutineers. Now the second mate has taken off in a lifeboat. Harmeson doesn't fit into this metaphor because no competently-run ship would ever allow his position to exist in the first place :)

UND should hire a President as soon as possible. The fact that they haven't is unbelievable but once he or she is hired, I think everything will sort itself out just fine (as long as they don't hire a complete turnip).
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges