Big City Clubs

throughout the state

Re: Big City Clubs

Postby justahockeymom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 am

Well let me just fill you in on something about recruiting from Minnesota cause I'm really tired of hearing this one. First of all, I happen to know those kids that were recruited and this is how the low down went .They did try our for the Varsity team in Moorhead they were told "you are not big enough" then they went and tried out for Junior Varsity were told "you are not fast enough." Last but not least they tried out for Junior Gold in Moorhead and were told "You are not good enough and won't be good enough to play for any Moorhead team ever so you need to leave the ice now" and Amen for the Fargo team that heard that 3 kids were not getting to play and gave them a call and said "we have room if you would like to come play with us." Two decided to and one didn't. These kids felt wanted when already being cut off at the ankles not once but 3 times. So as to you people that want to be angry because Fargo let these boys play a sport they have played for years you should be ashamed of yourself. WHY? Because your child will never have to go through that sadness of being told any of those things and let me tell you as a parent it cuts like a knife and burns like heck. Because there is nothing you can do when it happens but look at your son and not even know half the pain he is feeling. So the next time you think it is wrong because some Club hockey team let a child play, think of how you teach your child not to be a bully and then picture some ADULT just bullying your child and cutting them down to nothing. Oh for why cause they only want a winning team!!!!

dcs01 wrote:my thoughts on this entire thread right here. monoply guy is the man he is probably my favorite ref.
park river refs are terrible i havent had to play there since i was a peewee but from what i remember they have always been just awful. and i agree that its really lame that fargo had to get kids from minnesota to play when they probably have a billion other kids that want to.
im not looking to start anything here and for some of you sorry i dont type with perfect grammer

good topic boys keep it goin
justahockeymom

Postby AC-DC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:22 am

So, every kid in Fargo that wants to play is on a team? How many kids are the teams rostering this year? If there are more than 20 on each roster, maybe you should look at an additional team.

Letting Minnestota kids in sets a dangerous precedent. Once others see they can get more playing time in North Dakota, it won't be long before the better players show up. It may sound cruel, but we need to let Minnesota fix its own problems. Or, maybe you want to set up a Red River league, so you don't scew the competition for the rest of the state.
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justahockeymom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 am

You are all so concerned about the roster limits we only have 8 players on the team so I don't think that we have any more in fact I believe we have less then the smaller city club teams! Last year we started with 9 and ended with 13 so what is your gripe about roster limits? If there is a kid anywhere that wants to play and some town won't let them I would give that kid a chance. My god they are kids it's not the NHL. Oh yeah the NHL drafts from everywhere that's right. Get a grip guys club hockey is club hockey it is for the KIDS!!!!!!! Do you see the kids griping about this nooooooooooo why cause they just want to play.
justahockeymom

Postby hockeystar11 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:29 pm

I dont think the kids from moorehead shouldve been able to play.
kids get cut from teams all the time its a part of playing sports.
yea it not cool but its what happens.
the kids themselves should give the game more time if they want to be bigger and faster to be able to play on those teams.
they should go to the weight room on there own time.
practice puck handling skills at home.
etc.
so if there not good enough to make a team they obviously havent put enough effort into the sport. and probably didnt deserve the spot.
hockeystar11

Postby AC-DC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:30 pm

justahockeymom wrote:You are all so concerned about the roster limits we only have 8 players on the team so I don't think that we have any more in fact I believe we have less then the smaller city club teams! Last year we started with 9 and ended with 13 so what is your gripe about roster limits? If there is a kid anywhere that wants to play and some town won't let them I would give that kid a chance. My god they are kids it's not the NHL. Oh yeah the NHL drafts from everywhere that's right. Get a grip guys club hockey is club hockey it is for the KIDS!!!!!!! Do you see the kids griping about this nooooooooooo why cause they just want to play.

What team is that with only 8 kids and how many kids are on the city's other team (the one with the trophies for at least the last 3 years in a row)? Crosby's average is about 10. We had 10 last year and 13 this year with 2 exchange students. Next year, we'll loose 6 and gain 3.

Sure they just want to play, but they would like a reasonable expectation of winning some games. As they say "it's not about winning or lossing, it's about having fun, but lossing is NOT fun!".
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:43 pm

hockeystar11 wrote:I dont think the kids from moorehead shouldve been able to play.
kids get cut from teams all the time its a part of playing sports.
yea it not cool but its what happens.
the kids themselves should give the game more time if they want to be bigger and faster to be able to play on those teams.
they should go to the weight room on there own time.
practice puck handling skills at home.
etc.
so if there not good enough to make a team they obviously havent put enough effort into the sport. and probably didnt deserve the spot.

What's the big deal? A couple kids wanted to play hockey and they got a chance. Isn't that what Jr. Gold hockey is about? Who cares where they live, it's the spirit of sportsmanship, and the spirit of club sports.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball11 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:33 pm

The big deal is that's a city that has about 10x more kids to pick from, yet they still feel the need to pick up players from other towns. Justahockeymom even said that Fargo called them, not the other way around! Obviously the coaches were looking to improve their team with players from out of state. You can sugar coat it all you want ("we just wanted to allow them to play!"), but the fact of the matter is it shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

And you ask what Jr Gold hockey is about? Well, most kids do it to have fun and win. And most teams try to abide by the rules. Fargo didn't, so how is that good sportsmanship?
baseball11

Postby hockeystar11 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:51 pm

baseball11 wrote:The big deal is that's a city that has about 10x more kids to pick from, yet they still feel the need to pick up players from other towns. Justahockeymom even said that Fargo called them, not the other way around! Obviously the coaches were looking to improve their team with players from out of state. You can sugar coat it all you want ("we just wanted to allow them to play!"), but the fact of the matter is it shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

And you ask what Jr Gold hockey is about? Well, most kids do it to have fun and win. And most teams try to abide by the rules. Fargo didn't, so how is that good sportsmanship?

Amen
hockeystar11

Postby flyersgold08 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 am

the" monopoly" refs name is tom mikkelsen... I used to live in gf but recently moved to Fargo 3 yrs ago. Everyone in gf called him Mach3.. Like the razor LOL. He's a good ref and refs for both teams.
Being grand forks has a lot of people is mostly because they dont want to cut people. For my 2nd year as a peewee in gf, there was a team made the red army. This eliminated those who are currently on the highschool teams ( such as people like Spicer, Crary, Howe, and others). There was 23 kids that came out and there was only one team! There should have been two because the skill level differed greatly from our first line to the third. I dont know why they do it, i guess it is just the way they run their programs.
flyersgold08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:41 am

So are the two kids from MN on the roster that has eight kids, or not?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby AC-DC » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:59 am

flyersgold08 wrote:the" monopoly" refs name is tom mikkelsen... I used to live in gf but recently moved to Fargo 3 yrs ago. Everyone in gf called him Mach3.. Like the razor LOL. He's a good ref and refs for both teams.
Being grand forks has a lot of people is mostly because they dont want to cut people. For my 2nd year as a peewee in gf, there was a team made the red army. This eliminated those who are currently on the highschool teams ( such as people like Spicer, Crary, Howe, and others). There was 23 kids that came out and there was only one team! There should have been two because the skill level differed greatly from our first line to the third. I dont know why they do it, i guess it is just the way they run their programs.

With teams that have as few as 10 kids with everyone in town, it only makes sense to make 2 teams when you have 23, especially if you have the goalies. Maybe it's a logistics issue, but the best play is to have more smaller teams. As far as the Fargo team with only 8 kids, if the other Fargo team has more than 14, shame on them. They need to work together to spread the wealth, not stack one team at the expense of the other. I heard there were at least 2 that switched teams this year and a few that are waiting to join until after the West Road Trip. That's self-induced pain that you won't see much sympathy for.
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball11 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:27 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:So are the two kids from MN on the roster that has eight kids, or not?

That Fargo team had more than 8 kids on the roster. That's for sure.
baseball11

Postby AC-DC » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:19 pm

The Flyers rolled into town with 18 kids on the road, probably left a few behind, and the Flames only have 8. Shame on them and shame on the NDAHA for letting it happen. This typifies exactly why I started this topic and proves that it's not about competition and playing the game, but solely about winning. The HDAHA needs to do something about leveling the competition, because what we have now is a farce.
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dcfan24 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:04 pm

AC-DC wrote:The Flyers rolled into town with 18 kids on the road, probably left a few behind, and the Flames only have 8. Shame on them and shame on the NDAHA for letting it happen. This typifies exactly why I started this topic and proves that it's not about competition and playing the game, but solely about winning. The HDAHA needs to do something about leveling the competition, because what we have now is a farce.

I totally agree on this. The Flyers team has 18 good skaters, while the Flames has 8. They stacked one team so that they would win state for sure. Which they accomplished, they walked over the west teams out scoring the three 51-2! I think NDAHA should separate this team so that the state title will be up for grabs. From what scores I have heard most all of the teams would play a fairly tight match against each other. But will get demolished when playing the Flyers
dcfan24

Postby bigcityhockey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:34 am

The state should dismantle a team that worked hard to get better??

Stacked a team, GET REAL!

The Flyers and Flames are not affiliates. In fact, they really do not like each other. They are a rivalry just like Watford City and Sidney. Anyone with any knowledge on the Junior Gold League knows what happened to the Fargo Flames last season with their issues. They lost a lot of seniors on a 6th or 7th seeded team that happened to get hot for 3 days. They won state. They were not good throughout the season.

A good group of kids has worked to get better. They've added some new sophomores and others. They had 2 players who made South High School decide that Junior Gold was more fun. They had a couple of other players who didn't have great experiences in High School hockey give Junior Gold a try. They have a structured organization which schedules them a fair amount of practices and they get good coaching.

And they had 16 skaters and 2 goalies. Much like Langdon had last season and the season before.

When the Flyers had 10 skaters 2 seasons ago who was crying for them? NO ONE, they took each BUTT KICKING night in night out with their chins high.......
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AC-DC » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:35 am

So the Flyers recruited at least 5 players, 3 from the Flames and 2 from South. That sounds a lot like stacking to me and is exactly my point. No one else has that opportunity, except Fargo and Grand Forks. The Flyers won the recruiting game this year. Let's just give them the trophy, so the rest of us can get on with the season.
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby flyersgold08 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that that the flyers were looking to take the state trophy last year, but with 3 disallowed goals against langdon, that was not an option for us. The flames came to play, and it hurt langdon to play that game after a long game the night before. they should have beaten the flames, but were very tired from the sounds of it. this year the flyers are back and have been working hard on improving individually. Being in a bigger city, we have the resources to do programs such as frappier and do many various things. we have all gotten better in hopes that no one tries to take that trophy away from us this year. I would hope that people in these smaller communities would do the same not only for your team, but also so that you too could better and hopefully make teams that will push you forward.
flyersgold08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigcityhockey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:01 pm

[quote="AC-DC"]So the Flyers recruited at least 5 players, 3 from the Flames and 2 from South. That sounds a lot like stacking to me and is exactly my point.

Stacking a team? Get off your medication. 2 players from South who were PREVIOUSLY Junior Gold players, you may know them #4 Mark Laraway who was a Junior Gold all-state player last year and #30 Kyle Jandro. 3 Players from Flames, who were Flyers when they were younger and wanted to be with their friends again. You complain that your player went to Minot and it's a shame that he couldnt do what he wanted to do in Junior Gold. These kids decided that they could do what they wanted to do in Junior Gold, HAVE FUN and play hockey, the Crosby player wanted to get better and wouldnt get better in Junior Gold. You also did not mention that the 3 goalies the Flyers played this past weekend have a combined 1 season of Junior Gold experience. Watford asked a kid to volunteer to play goalie this fall after their expected starter broke his neck. Sidney has 2 goalies who have not played in a long time after their started moved away. Crosby goalie gave up 24 goals on 60 shots. That is a 60% save percentage. Had he stopped 80% of the shots, that would make the score 12-2. Very similar to the scores the Flyers saw 2 seasons ago against them when they were a 1st year club.

Whine & make excuses all you want. When these kids were on the bottom, they did not whine. They may not even win the state tournament, they have only played 3 games against 3 of the weaker teams this season. IT"S A LONG SEASON!!!
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AC-DC » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:23 pm

The more you guys carry on, the more you prove my point that you just don’t get. Fargo out numbers a place like Crosby, in population, by 100 to 1. If you want to add in Divide and Cass counties, we have a couple of farm kids, it’s still 60 to 1. Even dividing that by 5 teams you get 12 to 1. It doesn’t matter what team it is, this year it happens to be the Flyers. But, one of them will have 20 + players, out number most teams by 2 to 1 with better than average players and beat up on everyone else. Where is the competition and fair play in that? You don't see AAA football teams playing 9-man. Letting the competition remain this unbalanced, makes a mockery of the entire program.
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby #18 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 pm

Somebody try to beat the Flyers I want to see it and quit complaining about a big city teams... Have you ever beat a big city team? yeah thats what I thought you have they are really good this year... they are like the New England Patroits Undefeated season?

Postby justahockeymom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:30 pm

Well I happen to be on the Flames and very proud of it. Whether we have 1 or 2 moorhead players or if we only have 7 skaters and 1 goalie. Are we upset that those 3 kids left and went to Flyer Junior Gold yes. Why? Not only because they were good skaters, but because they were good kids from what I hear. Their friends that are still on the team miss them for those two reasons. Do we understand why they left absoulutely they had friends there that they wanted to play with.
My whole thing in it is this things will all come around. Our kids were they dissappointed that they lost all 3 games this weekend sure they were but they got to play and had fun overall the whole weekend. Do I think the Flyers should send kids to us, not if they don't want to and the kids don't want to play with our team and that is who it should be upto the kids. The only thing I have to say is if there are kids that are not getting ice time well come on over cause lordy you will get ice time here with us and alot of it hahahaha. I say hats off to all Junior Gold players keep the game clean and fun. Oh and don't forget good luck to all. One last thing I do have to say though is it was pretty funny being in Watford City on Sunday and last year the name calling that was coming from everyones mouth like CHEATERS or they have RINGERS on there team sure did not hear any of that when they womped our butt. HMMM that is kind of funny is it not. IT is always different when the W is on the other side. As always who is this for the kids not you adults keep that in mind when you are calling names as well who learns from you.
AC-DC wrote:The more you guys carry on, the more you prove my point that you just don’t get. Fargo out numbers a place like Crosby, in population, by 100 to 1. If you want to add in Divide and Cass counties, we have a couple of farm kids, it’s still 60 to 1. Even dividing that by 5 teams you get 12 to 1. It doesn’t matter what team it is, this year it happens to be the Flyers. But, one of them will have 20 + players, out number most teams by 2 to 1 with better than average players and beat up on everyone else. Where is the competition and fair play in that? You don't see AAA football teams playing 9-man. Letting the competition remain this unbalanced, makes a mockery of the entire program.
justahockeymom

Postby bigcityhockey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:32 pm

AC-DC wrote:The more you guys carry on, the more you prove my point that you just don’t get. Fargo out numbers a place like Crosby, in population, by 100 to 1. If you want to add in Divide and Cass counties, we have a couple of farm kids, it’s still 60 to 1. Even dividing that by 5 teams you get 12 to 1. It doesn’t matter what team it is, this year it happens to be the Flyers. But, one of them will have 20 + players, out number most teams by 2 to 1 with better than average players and beat up on everyone else. Where is the competition and fair play in that? You don't see AAA football teams playing 9-man. Letting the competition remain this unbalanced, makes a mockery of the entire program.

When Crosby beat the Fargo Flyers 2 years ago 8-0 or 10-0 when the Flyers showed up with 8 skaters, did anyone complain??? NOPE, DON"T THINK SO!! They got their A$$E$ handed to them. Now that it has turned, you PI$$ and MOAN. Be a better example for your son.

It's a wonder #8 from your team left to go to Minot.........
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigcityhockey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 pm

[quote="justahockeymom"]Well I happen to be on the Flames and very proud of it. Whether we have 1 or 2 moorhead players or if we only have 7 skaters and 1 goalie. Are we upset that those 3 kids left and went to Flyer Junior Gold yes. Why? Not only because they were good skaters, but because they were good kids from what I hear. Their friends that are still on the team miss them for those two reasons. Do we understand why they left absoulutely they had friends there that they wanted to play with.
My whole thing in it is this things will all come around. Our kids were they dissappointed that they lost all 3 games this weekend sure they were but they got to play and had fun overall the whole weekend. Do I think the Flyers should send kids to us, not if they don't want to and the kids don't want to play with our team and that is who it should be upto the kids. The only thing I have to say is if there are kids that are not getting ice time well come on over cause lordy you will get ice time here with us and alot of it hahahaha. I say hats off to all Junior Gold players keep the game clean and fun. Oh and don't forget good luck to all. One last thing I do have to say though is it was pretty funny being in Watford City on Sunday and last year the name calling that was coming from everyones mouth like CHEATERS or they have RINGERS on there team sure did not hear any of that when they womped our butt. HMMM that is kind of funny is it not. IT is always different when the W is on the other side. As always who is this for the kids not you adults keep that in mind when you are calling names as well who learns from you.

When the small town teams win, everything is fine and dandy, when a bigger city in the league wins, then we are either cheaters, recruiters, ringers, etc.... The Flames earned the championship last year. For 3 days, they were the best team. They came together at the right time. There was lots of whining about the Flames. Now, there is whining about the Flyers. All because a group of friends decided to play together and have fun doing it.... Isn't that the point, to play with friends and have fun???

The Flyers were in the same position 2 years ago that the Flames are in now, they went out west with 8 skaters and 2 goalies to start the year and got whoooooped. They ended up with 11 skaters that year. Those kids are all seniors now and returning the favor a little bit...... The Flames will be in the same boat in 2 years. Everything is a cycle. When Langdon and Watford kicked everyone's butt last season, no one cried. But when a Grand Forks or a Fargo can do the same, its NOT FAIR!!! WHAA WHAA WHAA
bigcityhockey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dcfan24 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Most every team this year will be fairly close when playing against each other. Except the Flyers...I have seen scores from the Watford, Sidney, Rugby, Crosby, Langdon, GF, and Walsh County** (excuse me if that wasn't the correct spelling or county) and all the scores have been fairly close. Not one of the teams were beaten by a margin greater than 8 if I remember right. On the other hand the Flyers scores have been outrageous!
dcfan24

Postby RedHotChiliPeppers » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:08 pm

Personally I think everyone should stop complaining about the Flyers, BigCity is right, the Flames are in the same boat that the Flyers were in 2 years ago. So instead of complaining about teams, Think of ways you can improve your own team. Cmon let the kids play
RedHotChiliPeppers

PreviousNext

Return to NDAHA