Mayville State FB

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby rep » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:34 am

how is barrett herr doing? he's stuck it out there for the long haul.
rep

Postby PA42 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 am

rep wrote:how is barrett herr doing? he's stuck it out there for the long haul.
Barrett is the starting running back and so far he is done a nice job. He has carried the ball 82 times for 282 yards for 3.4ypc and 2 touchdowns. Last week he ran for his 700th yard for his career.
PA42

Re: Mayville State FB

Postby PA42 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:03 pm

It is disappointing they will be in the cellar but i think it is obvius to anyone who attended, listened, or even looks at the scores they have greatly improved. They have competed and had chances in every game this season. I don't think anyone can deny that their goal for him as a coach was to firstly put out a competitive team on the field. He has done that. And trust me it should be a good game tommorow.
PA42

Re:

Postby dtvman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:24 am

NDSportsFan wrote: It's hard for some of the out-of-state kids to realize how small these four year colleges, and the towns they are in, are.  I know when I went to VCSU some of the kids had no idea where they were going until they got there.  Some of them panned out, and others thought they were too big time for that, so they left after the first year.  Small, isolated communty, cold weather, homesickness, it all adds up. 

The other part of it is the limited types of degrees. The choice of majors at a school like MaSU are really going to be limited.
dtvman

Postby old lineman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:03 pm

Barret Herr should get the toughest dude in the Dac award This kid played football for Mayville for 4 years, prior to that he played at Wishek, enough said.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Re:

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:15 am

dtvman wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote: It's hard for some of the out-of-state kids to realize how small these four year colleges, and the towns they are in, are.  I know when I went to VCSU some of the kids had no idea where they were going until they got there.  Some of them panned out, and others thought they were too big time for that, so they left after the first year.  Small, isolated communty, cold weather, homesickness, it all adds up. 

The other part of it is the limited types of degrees. The choice of majors at a school like MaSU are really going to be limited.

Maybe compared to UND/NDSU or a larger Div II school, but they have basically the same number of degrees as any other school in the DAC except possibly Minot.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:21 am

Mayville does have fewer majors than the other DAC schools, I read it and don't recall the actual numbers but it was around 15 compared to 23-25 in the other schools. Granted some of teh programs offered by other schools aren't the kinds that attract FB players (nursing).
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:24 am

Now that is quite a stereotype...I know many Football players that have gone into nursing...They have either stayed nurses or gone on to Anasthesia (sp) school for which you need to be a nurse first!!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:54 am

Wild Wolves wrote:Mayville does have fewer majors than the other DAC schools, I read it and don't recall the actual numbers but it was around 15 compared to 23-25 in the other schools. Granted some of teh programs offered by other schools aren't the kinds that attract FB players (nursing).

Well I just went to the Mayville website and counted their majors....22. Sounds like they're right up there with the other DAC schools. I'm sure Minot has more since they have about 4 times the students as Mayville, tho. The others are pretty comparable, even tho MaSU is probably the smallest school in the DAC
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:06 pm

According to the Mayville web site ther are 17 areas of study listed and at least three only include a minor.

Where did you find 22? Just curious.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:12 pm

Also Dickinson, Minot and Valley all list over 30 areas of study (well over 30) but many would fall into teh same area, like history education and history.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:33 pm

I certainly hope that the MSU coaches look at the blueprint of Jamestown - recruit local kids. A wonderful point was made on the Jimmies Playoff Bound thread - if you recruit local kids you will get more support for the alumni foundation.

It is hard to recruit blue-chip local players to Mayville, but I believe that is what has to be done. It's hard work, but it can be done. The once in a blue moon when Mayville has been competitive they have done it with a ton of local kids. And when you recruit local kids, the crowds tend to be bigger, which generates more revenue.

Come on Comet football, figure it out and get busy and recruit local kids and develop them into a competitive team.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:05 pm

Hinsa wrote:I certainly hope that the MSU coaches look at the blueprint of Jamestown - recruit local kids. A wonderful point was made on the Jimmies Playoff Bound thread - if you recruit local kids you will get more support for the alumni foundation.

It is hard to recruit blue-chip local players to Mayville, but I believe that is what has to be done. It's hard work, but it can be done. The once in a blue moon when Mayville has been competitive they have done it with a ton of local kids. And when you recruit local kids, the crowds tend to be bigger, which generates more revenue.

Come on Comet football, figure it out and get busy and recruit local kids and develop them into a competitive team.

Im with you between Grand Forks and Fargo and all over Eastern ND there are enough players that MaSU just needs to convince them to take a little bit of money, come to Mayville and play some FB. It's cheaper than NDSU and UND but still close enough to stay connected to home. Dosch has proven it can be done. VCSU and MaSU should copy him.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:25 pm

Baller wrote:Now that is quite a stereotype...I know many Football players that have gone into nursing...They have either stayed nurses or gone on to Anasthesia (sp) school for which you need to be a nurse first!!

Name five.

And that wasn't my point, nursing requires clinicals and those are difficult to schedule around practice and games.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby dtvman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:22 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
dtvman wrote:

Maybe compared to UND/NDSU or a larger Div II school, but they have basically the same number of degrees as any other school in the DAC except possibly Minot.

I am not trying to compare any of the schools in the DAC to UND or NDSU. Every kid in ND who is looking at any of these schools should be fully aware of the situations at any school in the state. I am looking more at a kid from out of state, and I think that is what Lions is refering to as well. If you bring in a kid from a suburb of Chicago or maybe even Minneapolis, they may be coming from a high school that has as many or more students as the college. They start to wonder why they came to a town of 2000 to play football and get a degree in math, when they could have done the same thing much closer to home.
I agree that they should be focusing more on recruiting kids locally.
dtvman

Postby point/center » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:54 am

dtvman wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
dtvman wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote: It's hard for some of the out-of-state kids to realize how small these four year colleges, and the towns they are in, are. I know when I went to VCSU some of the kids had no idea where they were going until they got there. Some of them panned out, and others thought they were too big time for that, so they left after the first year. Small, isolated communty, cold weather, homesickness, it all adds up.

I am not trying to compare any of the schools in the DAC to UND or NDSU. Every kid in ND who is looking at any of these schools should be fully aware of the situations at any school in the state. I am looking more at a kid from out of state, and I think that is what Lions is refering to as well. If you bring in a kid from a suburb of Chicago or maybe even Minneapolis, they may be coming from a high school that has as many or more students as the college. They start to wonder why they came to a town of 2000 to play football and get a degree in math, when they could have done the same thing much closer to home.
I agree that they should be focusing more on recruiting kids locally.

I dont' disagree BUT staying closer to home they probably wouldnt get a scholarship or maybe even on the team?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby dtvman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:16 am

Any idea how much of a scholarship a school like MaSU can offer someone. When I graduated I looked at wrestling in Dickinson. I can't remember for sure if they could get me any money, if any it was very little. To me the chance to continue wrestling was not worth getting a degree for something I wasn't interested in. That is obviously not the case for everyone. I don't ever really regret my decision not to go there, but I am sure I would have regretted it if I had gone there and now was doing something I wasn't really interested in.
dtvman

Postby point/center » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:25 am

dtvman wrote:Any idea how much of a scholarship a school like MaSU can offer someone. When I graduated I looked at wrestling in Dickinson. I can't remember for sure if they could get me any money, if any it was very little. To me the chance to continue wrestling was not worth getting a degree for something I wasn't interested in. That is obviously not the case for everyone. I don't ever really regret my decision not to go there, but I am sure I would have regretted it if I had gone there and now was doing something I wasn't really interested in.

I agree it's not much, but the combination of having a chance to keep playing and a bit of $$ might be what a kid from out-state is looking for. Not ready to hang up the cleats/sneakers just yet and a couple hundred bucks can sway an 18 year old, but you're right. To often it's 1 and done.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:44 am

I think we need to consider that the cost of going to a place like Wisconsin or Iowa etc... is going to cost around 20,000 a year (yes that is a public school) coming to Mayville and paying a third of that and getting a degree and getting to play FB is a big deal. Our DAC schools offer an opportunity to athletes that may not be available to them otherwise.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby dtvman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:39 pm

Once again I am not saying these kids would be going to Iowa or the University of Wisconsin. I am talking about schools more the size of DAC schools. If the coaches can get the kids to come there more power to them, but they should not be suprised at all when the kid leaves because Mayville is too small for them.
dtvman

Postby ndfan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:15 pm

DAC board somebody said there is a vacancy for the heading football coaching job at Mayville which would mean Ford stepped down. No clue if that is true and wondering if anybody has a clue if he did or not?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:19 pm

ndfan wrote:DAC board somebody said there is a vacancy for the heading football coaching job at Mayville which would mean Ford stepped down. No clue if that is true and wondering if anybody has a clue if he did or not?

that would be too bad if it is true...they were showing some signs of being competitive this season.
rep

Postby ndfan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:27 pm

rep wrote:
ndfan wrote:DAC board somebody said there is a vacancy for the heading football coaching job at Mayville which would mean Ford stepped down. No clue if that is true and wondering if anybody has a clue if he did or not?

that would be too bad if it is true...they were showing some signs of being competitive this season.

I dont think its true, but maybe he got offered a better coaching job somewhere??
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:37 am

ndfan wrote:
rep wrote:

I dont think its true, but maybe he got offered a better coaching job somewhere??

As far as I know Ford hasn't got a coaching offer anywhere and I attend Mayville State. He does have the guys in the right direction so to speak but I don't think after 3 wins in two seasons he's going to be getting too many offers. Mayville needs to start recruiting locally and bring about half as many guys from the coast out here.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:42 am

I could see him getting a defensive coordinator position at a d-2 school. THe thing that I found refreshing about this season was that he got the team to play focused and to belief that they could compete with anyone. Now they just have to start pulling off some of the close games.
PA42

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges