Class A Scores

Postby KPuck34 » Tue May 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Ming -score some runs and the call doesn't matter.
KPuck34
NDPreps Starter

Postby exwestcoach » Tue May 16, 2006 9:35 pm

HUSKERS:

SCHWEIGERT DID ARGUE THE CALL, BUT WHATS RIGHT IS RIGHT. WHATS WITH THE SEEDS DEAL, THATS A RUFF ON SCHWEIGERT. I BELIEVE HE IS A FINE COACH, YES HE IS SET IN HIS "ZEELAND" WAYS AND HE IS "OLD SCHOOL", BUT HE HAS WON 2 STATE BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS AT SM AND BEEN IN THE FINALS 4 TIMES. HIS WAYS HAVE AND DO WORK.  
exwestcoach

Postby ndsioux » Wed May 17, 2006 4:43 am

I didnt see the play, but it sounds like it was the right call. If a guy makes a catch and his momentum carries him out then it is a dead ball. And I agree with huskers, it seems like sometimes schweigert focuses on the wrong aspects of a game. But he's still a pretty good coach, probably the second best in Bismarck-Mandan behind Olson. I guess I dont know a lot about Mandan's coach but I do know that Century's coach is by far the worst.
ndsioux

Postby exwestcoach » Wed May 17, 2006 5:48 am

ndsioux:

Kinds rough on Gus. I feel he is extremely intense and compeitive which most of the time can be taken the wrong way. He expects his players to perform at their top performance levels at all times ( which never happens in high school or anywhere for that matter).

I do not agree with all of his personnel moves or his assessment of players but they are winning and should continue too next year as well. To his advantage, he is young and he will learn to deal with all situations related to being a head coach better as he matures in his position.

I also heard the rumor rise again that Olson will be at Century next year, since he teaches there full time now and is the head hockey coach. Gus will be at BHS. No truth to this but it is a possibility, at least to some extent, or just rumor mill garbage, don't know. Any thoughts to this event happening?    
exwestcoach

Postby ndsprtsfn14 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:57 am

I believe the best coach in Bismarck-Mandan is not even a head coach.  His name is Coach Andresen of the Braves.  Last year he was offered and accepted the role as principal at MHS.  So, he had to retire as head coach and take up an assistant job because of the time commitment.  There is nobody I know that has more baseball knowledge than him.  And I know players that have had both Olson and Andresen as a coach, and all say Andresen is the better coach.
ndsprtsfn14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Strike3? » Wed May 17, 2006 10:59 am

ndsprtsfn14 wrote:I believe the best coach in Bismarck-Mandan is not even a head coach.  His name is Coach Andresen of the Braves.  Last year he was offered and accepted the role as principal at MHS.  So, he had to retire as head coach and take up an assistant job because of the time commitment.  There is nobody I know that has more baseball knowledge than him.  And I know players that have had both Olson and Andresen as a coach, and all say Andresen is the better coach.

ndsprtsfn14, have you played for Coach Andresen before?
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsprtsfn14 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:36 pm

Yes I have
ndsprtsfn14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsioux » Wed May 17, 2006 1:09 pm

exwestcoach wrote:ndsioux:

Kinds rough on Gus. I feel he is extremely intense and compeitive which most of the time can be taken the wrong way. He expects his players to perform at their top performance levels at all times ( which never happens in high school or anywhere for that matter).

I do not agree with all of his personnel moves or his assessment of players but they are winning and should continue too next year as well. To his advantage, he is young and he will learn to deal with all situations related to being a head coach better as he matures in his position.

I also heard the rumor rise again that Olson will be at Century next year, since he teaches there full time now and is the head hockey coach. Gus will be at BHS. No truth to this but it is a possibility, at least to some extent, or just rumor mill garbage, don't know. Any thoughts to this event happening?    

I believe they are switching last year. I think the plan was for them to switch this year even, but Gus didn't want to. But with Olson next year, I think Century will be favorites to win state.
ndsioux

Postby 4for4 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:46 pm

Gus isn't by any means the worst coach, I know he doesn't go about things the right way 90% of the time, but he knows the game as well as anyone. I of all people could be bashing him left and right about his decisions and actions, but he does know the game very well, he just needs to learn how to teach it better and make better decisions.
4for4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 pm

as having gus as a coach in summer and school baseball now for three years i have come to understand a few things from him

1 he will play whoever can hit regardless of how they feild this was one of his quotes early this year "It dosnt matter if you can feild we will be getting around 10 runs a game with our bats so we can afford to have 3 or 4 errors a game" i dont undrstand it personally but he plays who he thinks will hit and that has been working lately example we out hit minot with lundy on the mound but couldnot produce

2 Zach Wentz is the only pitcher on the chs team and has to pitch everyday and throw weighted balls in the summer

3 it dosnt matter what he does it always seems to work example last summer for the reps we won state and this year we clinched 3rd in the west now hopfully his decsions will continue to pay off for us

4 Gus vs. Olson I dont think it matters what coach we had we can have the best coach in the world but its whether "WE" want to come to the ballpark and play coaches just teach us the game we have to play it they cant play it for us or i think they would
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baseballfan35 » Wed May 17, 2006 6:36 pm

I've played under both Mike Gustavsson & Troy Olson.  As someone said earlier, Gus will play the guys who can hit.  I think it is easier playing for Coach Gus though.  With Olson, you have to be mentally strong because you don't want to screw up or else he'll be on your a** the rest of the game.  I don't think it would really matter if they switched coaching jobs simply for the fact that both programs are going to be quite solid in the future.   
Last edited by Baseballfan35 on Wed May 17, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baseballfan35

Postby exwestcoach » Wed May 17, 2006 8:35 pm

ndsptsfan14:

I admire your feeling for Coach Andreson, I think he is a fine coach also. I would not go as so far as to say he is better than Olson. What it really boils down to is how the coach relates to his players on a consistant basis. Olson is much more high maintinance than Andreson, consequently Andreson is bound to be better liked by the kids than Olson.

The only thing I would like you to consider is success of both Mandan's and Bismarck's high school programs. Olson has faired much better in season results than Andreson has, also take into account that Andreson has virtually all the baseball players in Mandan to choose from, where as Olson has roughly a third, give or take, of the players in Bismarck to choose from.   

exwestcoach

Postby ndplayer » Thu May 18, 2006 4:54 am

exwestcoach wrote:ndsptsfan14:

I admire your feeling for Coach Andreson, I think he is a fine coach also. I would not go as so far as to say he is better than Olson. What it really boils down to is how the coach relates to his players on a consistant basis. Olson is much more high maintinance than Andreson, consequently Andreson is bound to be better liked by the kids than Olson.

The only thing I would like you to consider is success of both Mandan's and Bismarck's high school programs. Olson has faired much better in season results than Andreson has, also take into account that Andreson has virtually all the baseball players in Mandan to choose from, where as Olson has roughly a third, give or take, of the players in Bismarck to choose from.   

A third of Bismarck is way more than mandan.  Take a look at the graduating numbers for BHS compared to MHS.  BHS has at least 100 more i believe.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsioux » Thu May 18, 2006 5:04 am

Saucesauer wrote:as having gus as a coach in summer and school baseball now for three years i have come to understand a few things from him

1 he will play whoever can hit regardless of how they feild this was one of his quotes early this year "It dosnt matter if you can feild we will be getting around 10 runs a game with our bats so we can afford to have 3 or 4 errors a game" i dont undrstand it personally but he plays who he thinks will hit and that has been working lately example we out hit minot with lundy on the mound but couldnot produce

2 Zach Wentz is the only pitcher on the chs team and has to pitch everyday and throw weighted balls in the summer

3 it dosnt matter what he does it always seems to work example last summer for the reps we won state and this year we clinched 3rd in the west now hopfully his decsions will continue to pay off for us

4 Gus vs. Olson I dont think it matters what coach we had we can have the best coach in the world but its whether "WE" want to come to the ballpark and play coaches just teach us the game we have to play it they cant play it for us or i think they would

1. In the pros that might work to play the better offensive player, but in high school you have to strongly consider defense. offense will take a night or two off but defense never should.

2. yeah wentz throws way too much, i dont think youll find someone disagree with that

3. it wasnt just the reps who won state last summer

4. if you look at the players olson has coached vs. the ones that gus has coached, its night and day. a lot of bhs players have gone on to have very successful college careers. they won the state title a couple years ago, and last year they made it to the title game as the 4 seed from the west. you cant say that that's not a good coaching job
ndsioux

Postby ndsprtsfn14 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:24 am

Century and Bismarck both graduate over 400, while Mandan graduates usually less then 250 (this year it is 234).  I don't know how you can say that public bismarck schools lack numbers.  With that many more seniors, it means they have at least that many if not more than that in the other three classes of high schools.
ndsprtsfn14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:29 am

Does anybody know the rules for tiebreakers in WDA baseball?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndplayer » Thu May 18, 2006 8:59 am

i'm not sure, but i think it's runs scored vs. the tied team.

ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Thu May 18, 2006 2:01 pm

no its really stupid it goes right to overall record

Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby exwestcoach » Thu May 18, 2006 4:58 pm

ndplayer:

So what is your point, Mandan plays class A right? They are the only high school in the city, right? The size of the school/community sure did not matter when Mandan won all those legion titles back in the 1990's, right?

We can justify things any way we want to, the fact is Olson has done it with "no names", " non-legion players" and the like on a regular basis, year in and year out. I also believe that the numbers of baseballers in Mandan is down considerably the past number of years, thus the success and quality of teams/players are not as good as in the 60's-90's.  

Mandan was once known as the "baseball" town in ND, not anymore!    
exwestcoach

Postby ndsprtsfn14 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:43 pm

I agree.  Mandan legion used to be THE program.  This was before and right after baseball became a sanctioned high school sport.  But Mandan did it against the odds, for lack of community population.  The thing that made them so good was numbers of players and competition among themselves.  They would have home run titles given out (some over 20 in the same season).  Now the Mandan high school team is the only team, with belcourt, to not have hit a home run yet this year.  Quite sad actually.  But getting back to the numbers issue, it completely depends on the competition within a program itself that will make it successful.  Mandan girls basketball is extremely competitive, because they know if they work hard they will win.  But for braves baseball, even in the past few years numbers have dropped dramatically.  2-3 years ago making the varsity as a senior was HUGE, many juniors didn't even make it.  Now, we have only 2 juniors out for baseball, and if a soph doesn't make varsity, they get made fun of.  It sad to see a good sport/program go to waste.
ndsprtsfn14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsioux » Thu May 18, 2006 6:33 pm

ndsprtsfn14 wrote:Century and Bismarck both graduate over 400, while Mandan graduates usually less then 250 (this year it is 234).  I don't know how you can say that public bismarck schools lack numbers.  With that many more seniors, it means they have at least that many if not more than that in the other three classes of high schools.

actually this year i think theyre graduating in about the 330 range, but yes still definitely more than mandan
ndsioux

Postby ndplayer » Thu May 18, 2006 7:36 pm

exwestcoach wrote:We can justify things any way we want to, the fact is Olson has done it with "no names", " non-legion players" and the like on a regular basis, year in and year out. I also believe that the numbers of baseballers in Mandan is down considerably the past number of years, thus the success and quality of teams/players are not as good as in the 60's-90's.  

Mandan was once known as the "baseball" town in ND, not anymore!    

How can u say that bismarck is full of "no-namers" and "non-legion" players?  I'm sure u can probly name more bismarck baseball players than mandan's.  Also, who are these kids that arent playing legion, because when i see the bismarck lineup, i dont see too many that don't play legion.

I'm not saying that either coach is better than the other, i just don't agree with your statement that olsen had so much less to choose from than andresen. 

P.S. Olsen used to coach legion baseball in mandan, and didn't do much better than the college kids that have coached since, and those years were in the 90's, when mandan was a baseball town.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby exwestcoach » Thu May 18, 2006 8:39 pm

ndplayer:

Those statements were based upon not just this year but years past, comparing to the time primarily when Andreson was coach, I remember many years when BHS had 1, maybe 2 legion guys at best during the time Andreson was coaching Mandan.

Also remember I did not disagree with you regarding Andresons abilities, Oly just had a better success rate during the same time frame with few proven players.

BHS legion players this season Kranzler, Solumsaas. Dingman is not playing. Hendrickson??? Who knows. The rest, if they play will more than likely play for the Reps this year.  Oh yea, Standing Elk also will be back from college. 

You also can not compare Olson coaching the Mandan A's, and not having success to Andreson, nobody would have won as a coach when 14-15 yr olds have to play 15-18 year olds on a regular basis. 
Last edited by exwestcoach on Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exwestcoach

Postby exwestcoach » Thu May 18, 2006 8:50 pm

Dickinson sweeps Bismarck:

Game 1- 10-6, 7 unearned runs in the first for Dix, Solumsaas took the loss.

Game 2- 10-9? BHS was ahead going into the 5th(last inning in game 2) AND LOST

That should make BHS the 7th seed for the WDA

Dix should be the 4th seed

Mandan and SM are going to go to tie breaker, if Sm beats BHS tomorrow for the 6 7th seeds. 
exwestcoach

Postby Ming01 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:53 pm

If SM beats BHS tomorrow and Dickinson loses to Minot then SM is the 4th seed.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Class A