NDSCS Barred from Post Season Play- Men's BB Only

No smack talk is allowed here.

NDSCS Barred from Post Season Play- Men's BB Only

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:47 pm

I am reading in the paper here that NDSCS has been barred from any post season play. It appears the players are not eligible for awards either.

I really enjoy the Juco level of basketball here in this state. Pack brothers are in Williston which is awesome and other locals at the others schools. NDSCS is usally a strong BB team. If they can't play any post season, does that mean they would come in next fall as the 8th seat in the pre-conference tournament?

Are the players jumping ship down there? Sounds like Craig Irwin (sp?) has his hands full down there.

Anybody up on the issue as to what happened down there?
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Re: NDSCS Barred from Post Season Play- Men's BB Only

Postby BBall dominator » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:03 pm

i think a player from overseas used the schools phone to make phone calls back home racking a bill of atleast $20,000 I think thats just what i've heard but the source isn't very reliable
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:59 pm

http://jucojunction.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=730959

North Dakota State College of Science has been placed on probation for the upcoming season by the NJCAA. The NDSCS basketball team will not participate in the postseason this year for providing an athlete with benefits beyond what is allowed by the NJCAA. NDSCS self-reported the violation to the NJCAA back in September.

NDSCS players will not be eligible for regional and national awards this coming season.

Touhomi Ghazoul, (SO) 6-foot-10 from Algeria, allegedly racked up a $10,000 phone bill by using a school phone card given to him by head coach Craig Irwin. Ghazoul> goes to a preliminary hearing on November 7. The 6-foot-10 center has been released from jail and has resumed taking classes at NDSCS.

NJCAA has ruled Ghazoul ineligible for future competition.

Assistant coach Joe Kittell will take over the Wildcats until a decision can be made on Irwin's future at the school. Irwin has guided the Wildcats for the past seven seasons and to six Mon-Dak Conference titles. The Wildcats finished (30-2) last year.
rep

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:09 am

Assistant coach Joe Kittell will take over the Wildcats until a decision can be made on Irwin's future at the school.

So did they fire Irwin or ask him to resign?

As much as I like Juco ball, this is sad day for NDSCS. The competition between them, Williston, and LRSC has some strong ties to it. I have watched the games and many don't realize the athletics and passion for the game some of these juco schools have.

I wonder how many of the players are trying to jump ship right now.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby HeisAlive » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:41 pm

Looks like we got our answer...

Irwin resigns as NDSCS men’s basketball coach at end of 2007-08 season
Released: 11/01/2007 - PDF Version

WAHPETON — Craig Irwin has resigned as head men’s basketball coach at North Dakota State College of Science effective Feb. 28, 2008, following the final game of the 2007-08 season.

Irwin, who is in his eighth year at NDSCS, was suspended from his position on Oct. 23 for violating North Dakota State Board of Higher Education policy and his role in a National Junior College Athletic Association rules violation. As a result of the NJCAA violation, the NDSCS men’s basketball program was placed on probation for the 2007-08 academic year. The probation prevents NDSCS from any post-season play or individual player honors. The Mon-Dak Athletic Conference issued similar sanctions earlier this week. NDSCS self-reported the violation to the NJCAA in late September.

“I remain deeply troubled by the events that have transpired, and the way this incident has negatively affected athletes, students and others who were in no way associated with this violation,” said NDSCS President John Richman.

Along with his resignation, Irwin also submitted a letter of apology to the players, NDSCS employees, the community and fans. Athletic Director Jane Passa has indicated she will place a letter of reprimand in Irwin’s personnel files. As a result of these actions, Irwin has been reinstated as head men’s basketball coach for the 2007-08 season.

“This decision will allow our student-athletes to focus on the upcoming season in preparation for subsequent years,” said Richman. “There is an ongoing expectation that all who represent NDSCS will do so in the best manner possible, and I have been assured by Coach Irwin that it is his intention to do so while he remains an NDSCS employee.”

The Wildcats are scheduled to open their season this Friday as they host the AmericInn Classic.
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges