UND Retiring Sioux Nickname

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby rep » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:11 pm

huh...wow

i honestly didn't think i'd live to see the end of it.
rep

Postby Roughrider » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:30 pm

this is just a proposal, which is nice, it doesnt mean that this is final. i just hope that they can find a better way than this. i do like the part of the article where it explains that if a settlement is reached, there has to be a part of it that clams that the ncaa was incorrect
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Diana » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:17 pm

So do you spend nearly a million dollars to get three year extention to try to work with the tribes, or do ya keep going and take this to trial and try to win hands down.
Diana

Re: UND Retiring Sioux Nickname

Postby Roughrider » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:34 pm

i dont know, that is pretty hard to pick. i think that if they decide to do the three year extension it will hurt them because i dont know if they could get the Native American tribes to turn their beliefs around, and also with the taking it to court, there is a slight chance that they could lose it. if i had to pick i would say they should take it to court and fight it out
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby straightballer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:05 pm

This is a sad day in North Dakota history. I dont understand why the tribes cant accept it. Dont tell me the word is offensive because it means Snake in French. We dont speak French in this country. I just think that changing the name is a huge blow to our state. The Sioux hockey programs is one of the best college hockey programs of all time. That is one thing that our state is really known for. When you go to the east coast and you have a Sioux hockey jersey on everyone knows what that is and they know that it is a good program. I dont see how that is a bad thing. I just wish people would relax a little bit and just let it go.
straightballer

Postby thundercat 99 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:48 pm

If this was lets say Florida State or someone else, we wouldnt here about it.
But the NCAA would never touch Florida State if a problem came up
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby dtvman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:59 am

Straightballer you just don't get it do you. It doesn't matter if you find it offensive. I am sure a lot of white people who use the n word say they aren't trying to be offensive.
dtvman

Postby dtvman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:01 am

I would also pose to you that changing the nickname is not going to change the success of the athletic progams.
dtvman

Postby dtvman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:11 am

thundercat 99 wrote:If this was lets say Florida State or someone else, we wouldnt here about it.
But the NCAA would never touch Florida State if a problem came up

Florida State was originally one of the schools that was on the list. But the seminole tribe themselves has backed FSU.
dtvman

Postby AC-DC » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:23 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last action from the tribe a rejection of a vote of support? Effectively, they're not supporting the name, but not fighting it either. Is there a deal in the works with the tribe?

Sioux hockey is one of North Dakota's greatest assets and yes the name is everything. It's loss is a travesty of political correctness gone made. Is it the tribe fighting the name? I belive not. If they were to make a stand against it, I would say give it up. As long as it's just the NCAA and meddling liberals, I say "Keep Fighting Sioux"!
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dtvman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:11 am

AC-DC wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last action from the tribe a rejection of a vote of support? Effectively, they're not supporting the name, but not fighting it either. Is there a deal in the works with the tribe?

Sioux hockey is one of North Dakota's greatest assets and yes the name is everything. It's loss is a travesty of political correctness gone made. Is it the tribe fighting the name? I belive not. If they were to make a stand against it, I would say give it up. As long as it's just the NCAA and meddling liberals, I say "Keep Fighting Sioux"!

The tribe certainly is not supporting it but I don't know what exactly they could do to fight it. The school seems to have every legal right to use the name, and if they want to go on using the name and offending the tribe they have every right to do that. I also think the NCAA has the right to ask their members to make changes if they want to. Again UND has no legal obligation to change the name but the consequences to them if they don't are clearly spelled out.
dtvman

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:02 am

So why do they have the legal right to use the name, please educate me? I would like to know.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dtvman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:35 am

Indians Alumni wrote:So why do they have the legal right to use the name, please educate me? I would like to know.

First off IA I think they should change it. As far as them having a legal right to use it I don't think anyone has any sort of trademark on it. If I am wrong, then I apologize and the owner of the trademark should fight for it. My main point is that the NCAA is really the only way they can be compelled to change the name. Unless the tribe has some sort of trademark on the name, I don't know of any legal action they could take against the school.
dtvman

Postby nativegolfer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:18 am

The Dakota and Lakota people have UND by the short ones on this issue. As a Dakota, the only way I would support the name is if UND gave our tribe 5-10 full ride scholarships. Not a tuition waiver that any minority is eligible for. Otherwise, get rid of the name.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:05 am

Just my $.02 on the subject, but it doesn't make sense to me that NA's would accept the logo if bribed.

Aren't you against the name and logo because you feel offended? So you are willing to allow money, tuition waivers, whatever to change your minds?

If that is the case, then I struggle with the idea that you aren't really offended by it at all, but want something in return for the use of the name. Which basically means you can be bought off and your stance of being offended by the name and logo is really a moot point.

Now I didn't come on to argue with people, just something I see. I guess if I am offended by something like my culture, money/bribes would do nothing to change my feelings as it being offensive whether I had $10 in my pocket or $100,000 in my pocket...it is still offensive.

If it is offensive, it is always offensive...I guess I don't understand...

Example:
1. UND Fighting Sioux gives nothing to the tribes= Offensive name and logo
2. UND gives $1 million to the tribes or full tuitions, whatever= Not offensive to the tribe

IA and native golfer....do you really want to sellout your culture and heritage for full ride tuitions? If so, then the name must not really be offensive to you if you can be bought for it.

If the NA's truely feel it is offensive, then I say change the name. If they can be bought somehow, then the reality is it wasn't offensive to begin with.

I am still saying change the name to Flickertails. Wether it is close to the gophers or not, it was the original name.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:27 pm

First off, I am not selling out. I will never sell out, but if I could help a few students get a full ride scholarship or programs to help my Native people, it kinda makes it a little easier to swallow!

I still stand on the issue that I will not accept the name, but my pride is set aside for some of the underpriviledged Native American youth getting an education, or programs set up to help my fellow Native American people.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:35 pm

UND's been using the name without permission from the tribes for a long time now, so why not get something in return? Time for the tribes to return the favor.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby nativegolfer » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:30 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:Just my $.02 on the subject, but it doesn't make sense to me that NA's would accept the logo if bribed.

Aren't you against the name and logo because you feel offended? So you are willing to allow money, tuition waivers, whatever to change your minds?

If that is the case, then I struggle with the idea that you aren't really offended by it at all, but want something in return for the use of the name. Which basically means you can be bought off and your stance of being offended by the name and logo is really a moot point.

Now I didn't come on to argue with people, just something I see. I guess if I am offended by something like my culture, money/bribes would do nothing to change my feelings as it being offensive whether I had $10 in my pocket or $100,000 in my pocket...it is still offensive.

If it is offensive, it is always offensive...I guess I don't understand...

Example:
1. UND Fighting Sioux gives nothing to the tribes= Offensive name and logo
2. UND gives $1 million to the tribes or full tuitions, whatever= Not offensive to the tribe

IA and native golfer....do you really want to sellout your culture and heritage for full ride tuitions? If so, then the name must not really be offensive to you if you can be bought for it.

If the NA's truely feel it is offensive, then I say change the name. If they can be bought somehow, then the reality is it wasn't offensive to begin with.

I am still saying change the name to Flickertails. Wether it is close to the gophers or not, it was the original name.

I guess I feel giving an education to one of my fellow SLT members wouldn't be selling out. How can you consider earning a college degree, selling out? If UND offered our tribe a suitcase full of money then that is selling out and I wouldn't support that!
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby asiantangy99 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:54 pm

I dont see why this is such a big issue. What are the sioux going to be without thier name. Honestly if I had a team named after me I would be honored. Seminoles didnt have a problem with FSU so why should the sioux have a problem with UND?
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm

asiantangy99 wrote:I dont see why this is such a big issue. What are the sioux going to be without thier name. Honestly if I had a team named after me I would be honored. Seminoles didnt have a problem with FSU so why should the sioux have a problem with UND?

And here we go AGAIN...
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby asiantangy99 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:11 pm

Baller wrote:
asiantangy99 wrote:I dont see why this is such a big issue. What are the sioux going to be without thier name. Honestly if I had a team named after me I would be honored. Seminoles didnt have a problem with FSU so why should the sioux have a problem with UND?

And here we go AGAIN...

with what? Cant I state my opinion?
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby AC-DC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 am

asiantangy99 wrote:
Baller wrote:

And here we go AGAIN...

Sure you can state your opinion, but if you read this site at all, you know that this issue has been beat to death. We're all interested in the outcome, but more debate on here is just going to fire up the vocal minority, on both sides, and lead to the topic being closed. If you look at the post dates, this dog has been asleep since November.

Let's just all give the Sioux the support they need against BC on Thursday.

Go Sioux!
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby asiantangy99 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:38 pm

AC-DC wrote:
asiantangy99 wrote:
Baller wrote:

And here we go AGAIN...

Sure you can state your opinion, but if you read this site at all, you know that this issue has been beat to death. We're all interested in the outcome, but more debate on here is just going to fire up the vocal minority, on both sides, and lead to the topic being closed. If you look at the post dates, this dog has been asleep since November.

Let's just all give the Sioux the support they need against BC on Thursday.

Go Sioux!

sorry but what is this topic for then im sorry for not looking at the date i just wanted to state my opinion
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 pm

We are not going there any more. Topic locked.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges