What was the best game ever played in North Dakota.

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby Kujava » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:53 pm

Actually, I have a game that topped that. It was the '98 EDC Championship game. Back in the day, when boys played in their own arena--not with the girls teams. It was in the Fargo Civic (great place to host high school basketball games--6000 capactiy about--fans near court--good court to jump off)

Valley City vs. Fargo Shanley or better yet---Jeff Boschee vs. Nick Jacobson

the last time in recent memory that TWO D1 players from ND faced off in a game--of IMPORTANCE no less

They exchanged baskets back n forth--showing off their outstanding shooting abilities and talent. I believe they EACH scored 38 points as VC won by a few points.

The Civic was going crazy
Kujava

Postby cdub1 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Kujava wrote:Actually, I have a game that topped that. It was the '98 EDC Championship game. Back in the day, when boys played in their own arena--not with the girls teams. It was in the Fargo Civic (great place to host high school basketball games--6000 capactiy about--fans near court--good court to jump off)

Valley City vs. Fargo Shanley or better yet---Jeff Boschee vs. Nick Jacobson

the last time in recent memory that TWO D1 players from ND faced off in a game--of IMPORTANCE no less

They exchanged baskets back n forth--showing off their outstanding shooting abilities and talent. I believe they EACH scored 38 points as VC won by a few points.

The Civic was going crazy

that would have been fun to see

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:48 pm

bisonslayer wrote:
bcourtbraves wrote:How about the 97 Class A State Championship?? OT, i was a little tyke then but i remember watching the game and everyone in the gym was absolutely crazy

yea Beulah vs Mayport CG. I dont believe it was OT. Mayports starters were all 6'5..one of beulahs starters was 5'7 put it this way he was on the bench most of the game..Mayport won 47-46. Beulah got the ball with 5 seconds Beulahs 6' point guard Jayden Olsen who was a future Mr. BB canidate drove the lane got a good shot but put up a airball against the Mayport giants, shoulda kicked out. That Mayport team best team in 'B' history no doubt.
MPCG team in 1995 was better or more talented but lost to Carrington (Jim Kleinsasser) in the semifinals.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fbinnd » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 pm

I'd say regular season game between Valley City and West Fargo in 1993.  1 pt. win for VC.  The Bubble was full with standing room filled.  Decided EDC regular season title and #1 in the poll.
fbinnd

Postby Y-not Daily » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Recently, it has to be New Rockford-Sheyenne vs. Bottineau... That had everything, a huge comeback, multiple buzzer-beaters, good stretches of offense and defense, big loud crowds for both teams...

I'm sorry, but I was completely bored by the MPCG-Trinity game of a few years ago... Both teams in the low 30s.... Yawn... It had no ebb and flow...

I remember seeing quite a few great games in the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s at the Class B state tournament (including Fridley's Watford City team against McDonald's Munich team and that 1985 Newburg/Linton game), but none of them stick out as being as good as the NR-S/Botno game.

As far as Class A, I've seen some good ones as well, but it seems like any great game at the Class B state tourney trumps anything from the Class A ranks just purely on atmosphere.
Y-not Daily

Postby fbinnd » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:48 am

Until Class B adopts a shotclock, the Hettinger-Regent game is not a guaranteed "once in a lifetime" deal.  Someone else in B will try this crap, and it will probably work.  Then, we'll be denied one of the better teams in the state moving on.

Oh, and wow, imagine that, Baller01 thinks the best game ever played in North Dakota has Trinity in it.  I would have never guessed.  I'm sure Baller01's second through eigth best games ever played were each of the 7 consecutive Region 7 title games our favorite recruiting parochial won.  That game between MPCG and Trinity was a joke and proof positive of whats wrong with B basketball.  No state title game should be 34-32. 

Get a shotclock, get some man defense, and play real basketball, or pack up and go home.
fbinnd

Postby The Schwab » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:15 pm

fbinnd wrote:Until Class B adopts a shotclock, the Hettinger-Regent game is not a guaranteed "once in a lifetime" deal.  Someone else in B will try this crap, and it will probably work.  Then, we'll be denied one of the better teams in the state moving on.

Oh, and wow, imagine that, Baller01 thinks the best game ever played in North Dakota has Trinity in it.  I would have never guessed.  I'm sure Baller01's second through eigth best games ever played were each of the 7 consecutive Region 7 title games our favorite recruiting parochial won.  That game between MPCG and Trinity was a joke and proof positive of whats wrong with B basketball.  No state title game should be 34-32. 

Get a shotclock, get some man defense, and play real basketball, or pack up and go home.
Wow.....i thought that the 34-32 game was a great game....they played straight up man and shut each other down.....2 great basketball minds doing battle......and real basketball is defense.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:22 pm

fbinnd wrote:Until Class B adopts a shotclock, the Hettinger-Regent game is not a guaranteed "once in a lifetime" deal.  Someone else in B will try this crap, and it will probably work.  Then, we'll be denied one of the better teams in the state moving on.

that is very surprising actually because baller01 has no affiliation with trinity

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Y-not Daily wrote:Recently, it has to be New Rockford-Sheyenne vs. Bottineau... That had everything, a huge comeback, multiple buzzer-beaters, good stretches of offense and defense, big loud crowds for both teams...

I'm sorry, but I was completely bored by the MPCG-Trinity game of a few years ago... Both teams in the low 30s.... Yawn... It had no ebb and flow...

I remember seeing quite a few great games in the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s at the Class B state tournament (including Fridley's Watford City team against McDonald's Munich team and that 1985 Newburg/Linton game), but none of them stick out as being as good as the NR-S/Botno game.

As far as Class A, I've seen some good ones as well, but it seems like any great game at the Class B state tourney trumps anything from the Class A ranks just purely on atmosphere.

I'll have to agree that the NRS vs Bottineau game was probably one of the best I've ever seen. Great comeback by NRS, just an amazing game to watch. However, since I wasnt around in the mid-1980's so my choices are limited.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:07 am

cdub1 wrote:

that is very surprising actually because baller01 has no affiliation with trinity

I never said the Trinity-MPCG game was one of the best ever I just said it was a recent last second shot state title game. And dude give it up, I have nothing to do with Trinity or any other private schools.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: What was the best game ever played in North Dakota.

Postby thundercat 99 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:23 pm

The New Rockford-Bottineau game in 2005 in my mind was the best. The first half was pretty boring, but for those who stuck around to watch the ending, it was amazing
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:09 pm

I think I might have mentioned this before - but the Watford City - Munich championship was a classic too. Maybe not the climatic excitement of the Bottineau - New Rockford game - but all around great game from start to finish.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:54 pm

I think it was back in 1970 or around there (memory is terrible). Carpio Cardinals versus the Minot Models. Might have even been before that.

Minot typicaly came in and would just whoop up on Carpio, so the Carpio coach decided to figure out a stall procedure. Short story is that at the end of the half it was 6 to 2 with Carpio ahead. The Minot coach was so upset he couldn't talk. I think Minot won 10 to 8 as the final came and that was the last time the Minot Models came over to Carpio.

Any old timers here that remember that story?
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby 83football » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:42 pm

I don't know if the 2005 Napoleon v.s. Ellendale football game at Ellendale was the best game ever played in North Dakota, but for me it was the funnest game to play in my senior year. Napoleon came in 7-0 and Ellendale was 4-3. Napoleon was never scored on in the first half all season and Ellendale was able to do it. Ellendale beat Napoleon 8-6 using a six man defensive front in nine man football.
83football
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:05 am

83football wrote:I don't know if the 2005 Napoleon v.s. Ellendale football game at Ellendale was the best game ever played in North Dakota, but for me it was the funnest game to play in my senior year. Napoleon came in 7-0 and Ellendale was 4-3. Napoleon was never scored on in the first half all season and Ellendale was able to do it because Napoleon sat all their starters. Ellendale beat Napoleon 8-6 using a six man defensive front in nine man football.

fixed
rep

Postby point/center » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:56 am

1988 9 Man Championship
New England Regenet New England St Marys
beating
Page Hope Clifford Galesburg
Todd Sheldon was a lights out leader that day in Mandan
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby 83football » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:12 pm

rep wrote:
83football wrote:I don't know if the 2005 Napoleon v.s. Ellendale football game at Ellendale was the best game ever played in North Dakota, but for me it was the funnest game to play in my senior year. Napoleon came in 7-0 and Ellendale was 4-3. Napoleon was never scored on in the first half all season and Ellendale was able to do it because Napoleon sat all their starters. Ellendale beat Napoleon 8-6 using a six man defensive front in nine man football.

fixed

fixed? How so?
Napoleon's coach didn't even start all their starters in that game and when they were put in it was already to late.
Napoleon's running back had less than 100 yards on 30+ carries now how is that fixed?
83football
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old lineman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:16 pm

State Football championship May-Port vs Beulah. The Minors had a big early lead and fought real hard to win in the end. Boeshans boys from Beulah, one wrestled at U of M, the other stud LB for NDSU, May-Port had Ross Almie who was eventually the starting tailback for UND. A bunch of other players for both teams played in the Dac afterwards. Alot of talent and two really good teams.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby District_Guru » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:13 am

I am going to go way back to the State Class A semi-finals in boys basketball when the Bismarck Demons won the game on a half court shot from the corner by Russ Archambault to win by one point. Great game, forever known as the SHOT.
District_Guru

Re:

Postby Tu-Big » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:24 pm

The Schwab wrote:

Wow.....i thought that the 34-32 game was a great game....they played straight up man and shut each other down.....2 great basketball minds doing battle......and real basketball is defense.

34-32 is a great game to watch...if you're watching football. If Class B had a shot clock...which it should, neither of these teams probably would have made it to the state title game. The best games to watch that year at state were the Parshall and Shiloh games because they got up and down the floor and scored. Real basketball is defense? You dont see any NCAA or NBA or even out of state high school games where the final score of a title game is 34-32 and I'd say that ball is a little "realer" than North Dakota Class B.
Tu-Big

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Don't you think in a 34-32 game that the importance of every possession is magnified? You are on pins and needles with every possession because you know there won't be that many of them. Doesn't that make for great drama?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tu-Big » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:21 pm

scc wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Don't you think in a 34-32 game that the importance of every possession is magnified? You are on pins and needles with every possession because you know there won't be that many of them. Doesn't that make for great drama?

I sure think so.

It made for great drama when i had someone wake me up when the last 2 minutes of the game came around. How does a low scoring game give it more drama? Shots are equally as important when the game is in the 80s as it does when its in the 30s if its a close game. I was at the Civic Center that night and there was no excitement from the crowd, other than the 2 towns' cheering sections, until Smith banked in that shot. Theres actually a thing called entertainment in a high scoring game though instead of watching a bunch of athletes without good basketball skill level hold the ball for 2 minutes until they get a lay-up because the other team got sick of defending. Why do you think the shot clock was invented in the first place? To improve skill level and make sure the game wasnt organized keep-away (which Class B is turning in to).
Tu-Big

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:36 pm

2 problems with your arguement, Tu-Big.

1. Shot clock DOES NOT equal higher scoring games. Scoring in the NBA in the last 5-10 years is lower than it's ever been. Scoring is also down in College basketball. I don't have the statistics to quote to you but I know I have read them in news stories. And if the shot clock is the cure-all for up-tempo, why do we still see Class A scores in the 30s and 40s?

2. Where is the entertainment value in seeing a team milk the shot clock only to have to throw up a brick at the end of the clock?

Without the shot clock you get a variety of game types. You get the 34-32 title game, and you also get the 121-115 Four Winds-Dunsieth game. The game takes on its own tempo naturally.

With a shot clock the tempo is artificially contrived. You end up with a game with 30 second cycles. Teams sit back in zones and don't pressure the ball because they know they will get the ball back in 30 seconds anyway.

So don't tell me the shot clock is the magic elixir to more exciting basketball.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby old lineman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:40 am

Tempo of the game is set by how you decide to push the ball up the court with the guards. Do you have a designated outlet and someone to fly up the court? Being able to control the ball and take good shots is skill that has been lost by many teams in the last years. Look at a school that has alot of banners hanging on walls (not the ones that say 3rd in district Drama either) those programs could more than likely do both, push the ball and hold the ball. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to win.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby busch3434 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 pm

I've been asked this question here.....was there a game played between Carrington and Mayport-CG in the 90's....i'm guessing 95-97 someplace, a regular season game where the score was in the twenties at the end of the game?
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics