Dale Lennon appies at Montana State

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:05 am

I just read that Dale Lennon is a canidate for the new football coach at Montana State.

Just curious as to why? Dale has his dream job at his alma mater, does he see the writing on the wall, switching to 1AA and getting sand pounded by the Bison agian in the futute?

By The Billings Gazette Staff
BOZEMAN - Three successful head coaches and a longtime Division I assistant are four of the five finalists for Montana State's head football coaching vacancy, Bobcats athletic director Peter Fields announced Friday.

The school did not release the name of the fifth finalist.

Fields said Drake head coach Rob Ash, Duke assistant coach Larry Kerr, North Dakota head coach Dale Lennon and Carroll College head coach Mike Van Diest will interview at Montana State next week.

"We began with an excellent pool of candidates and made a lot of difficult choices," said Jim Rimpau, MSU's executive director of planning and analysis and chief information officer, who chaired the committee charged with compiling the list of finalists. "I believe we're all very happy with these candidates."

MSU is looking for a coach to succeed Mike Kramer, who was fired on May 18 after the arrest of a fifth current or former football player in less than a year.

A former standout at North Dakota, Lennon has led the Fighting Sioux to one Division II national championship, one runner-up finish and four North Central Conference championships since returning to his alma mater as head coach in 1999.

Lennon was 12-9 in two seasons at the University of Mary in Bismarck, N.D., (1997-98), and served as a North Dakota assistant from 1988-96. He also served as an assistant at Northern State in Aberdeen, S.D., (1986), Valley City State, N.D., (1986), and Dickinson State, N.D., (1987). Lennon was a team captain, most valuable offensive back, and honorable mention NCC as a fullback for the Fighting Sioux in 1983.

Since taking over the Carroll College program in 1999, Van Diest has led the Fighting Saints to the pinnacle of NAIA football. The Saints have won four national championships and seven Frontier Conference crowns in his eight seasons at the Helena school. He has won or shared Frontier coach of the year honors seven times.

Before returning to his hometown, Van Diest coached at Northwestern (1987-91), Massachusetts (1986), Montana (1980-85), and served two stints at Wyoming (1976-79, 1996-98). A 1975 Wyoming graduate, Van Diest was a three-year letterman for the Cowboys.

The winningest head coach at two different schools, Ash just completed his 18th year at Drake in Des Moines, Iowa, with a 125-63-2 career mark. Drake's 9-2 record last year is the third-best in school history, and the Bulldogs own four conference championships in the Pioneer Football League under Ash's direction.

He is a three-time league coach of the year at Drake, and also compiled a 51-36-3 mark in eight years at Juniata (Huntingdon, Pa.). Ash played quarterback at Cornell College in Iowa, earning first team Academic All-America and honorable mention Little All-America honors as a senior in 1972.

Kerr finished his first season as outside linebackers coach at Duke last year. He spent the previous three seasons as well as the 1989 campaign as a UCLA assistant, and from 1993-2002 worked as an assistant for former Bobcat head coach Sonny Lubick at Colorado State. Kerr has also made stops at Northern Arizona (1990-92), Stanford (1983-88), San Jose State (1980-82), and Cal State Northridge (1979). A 1975 SJSU graduate, Kerr's coaching career began in the California high school ranks.

"From my perspective, the committee did a good job getting through nearly 80 candidates," Rimpau said. "It was tough talking to all 11 (semifinalists) in telephone interviews, and even tougher to take it down to five finalists. But the committee worked very hard, and we should get a good football coach out of the process."

Montana State's search committee consisted of Rimpau, Camie Bechtold (athletics), Dan Davies (athletics), Mark Fellows (Quarterback Club), Sue Monohan (Sociology Department), J.C. Murray (M Club), Scott Myers (Sociology Department), Bob Oakberg (faculty athletics representative), Chris Remely (Bobcat Club), Gene Thayer (Capital Campaign), and Tom White (Quarterback Club).
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:10 am

[user=1355]GRIDIRON GURU[/user] wrote:
I just read that Dale Lennon is a canidate for the new football coach at Montana State.

Just curious as to why? Dale has his dream job at his alma mater, does he see the writing on the wall, switching to 1AA and getting sand pounded by the Bison agian in the futute?

By The Billings Gazette Staff
BOZEMAN - Three successful head coaches and a longtime Division I assistant are four of the five finalists for Montana State's head football coaching vacancy, Bobcats athletic director Peter Fields announced Friday.

The school did not release the name of the fifth finalist.

Fields said Drake head coach Rob Ash, Duke assistant coach Larry Kerr, North Dakota head coach Dale Lennon and Carroll College head coach Mike Van Diest will interview at Montana State next week.

"We began with an excellent pool of candidates and made a lot of difficult choices," said Jim Rimpau, MSU's executive director of planning and analysis and chief information officer, who chaired the committee charged with compiling the list of finalists. "I believe we're all very happy with these candidates."

MSU is looking for a coach to succeed Mike Kramer, who was fired on May 18 after the arrest of a fifth current or former football player in less than a year.

A former standout at North Dakota, Lennon has led the Fighting Sioux to one Division II national championship, one runner-up finish and four North Central Conference championships since returning to his alma mater as head coach in 1999.

Lennon was 12-9 in two seasons at the University of Mary in Bismarck, N.D., (1997-98), and served as a North Dakota assistant from 1988-96. He also served as an assistant at Northern State in Aberdeen, S.D., (1986), Valley City State, N.D., (1986), and Dickinson State, N.D., (1987). Lennon was a team captain, most valuable offensive back, and honorable mention NCC as a fullback for the Fighting Sioux in 1983.

Since taking over the Carroll College program in 1999, Van Diest has led the Fighting Saints to the pinnacle of NAIA football. The Saints have won four national championships and seven Frontier Conference crowns in his eight seasons at the Helena school. He has won or shared Frontier coach of the year honors seven times.

Before returning to his hometown, Van Diest coached at Northwestern (1987-91), Massachusetts (1986), Montana (1980-85), and served two stints at Wyoming (1976-79, 1996-98). A 1975 Wyoming graduate, Van Diest was a three-year letterman for the Cowboys.

The winningest head coach at two different schools, Ash just completed his 18th year at Drake in Des Moines, Iowa, with a 125-63-2 career mark. Drake's 9-2 record last year is the third-best in school history, and the Bulldogs own four conference championships in the Pioneer Football League under Ash's direction.

He is a three-time league coach of the year at Drake, and also compiled a 51-36-3 mark in eight years at Juniata (Huntingdon, Pa.). Ash played quarterback at Cornell College in Iowa, earning first team Academic All-America and honorable mention Little All-America honors as a senior in 1972.

Kerr finished his first season as outside linebackers coach at Duke last year. He spent the previous three seasons as well as the 1989 campaign as a UCLA assistant, and from 1993-2002 worked as an assistant for former Bobcat head coach Sonny Lubick at Colorado State. Kerr has also made stops at Northern Arizona (1990-92), Stanford (1983-88), San Jose State (1980-82), and Cal State Northridge (1979). A 1975 SJSU graduate, Kerr's coaching career began in the California high school ranks.

"From my perspective, the committee did a good job getting through nearly 80 candidates," Rimpau said. "It was tough talking to all 11 (semifinalists) in telephone interviews, and even tougher to take it down to five finalists. But the committee worked very hard, and we should get a good football coach out of the process."

Montana State's search committee consisted of Rimpau, Camie Bechtold (athletics), Dan Davies (athletics), Mark Fellows (Quarterback Club), Sue Monohan (Sociology Department), J.C. Murray (M Club), Scott Myers (Sociology Department), Bob Oakberg (faculty athletics representative), Chris Remely (Bobcat Club), Gene Thayer (Capital Campaign), and Tom White (Quarterback Club).

Honestly don't have a clue why but It might have to do with that Montana State puts more emphasis into there football program. It doesn't take a back seat to any other program like Und football does to its hockey. He's a dang good coach and UND has been lucky to have him as long as they have.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:20 pm

Maybe he wants to go to a program that is already proven at the D1-AA and he doesn't have to go through the rebuilding process with UND.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:26 pm

i'd be fairly disappointed if i had just signed with und and he left right away.
rep

Postby DeuceTrey » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:55 pm

the part i dont understand is why is this happening right now, as the team is getting ready to start the year, everyone is just getting settled in, and all of a sudden, the coach leaves. that means the school would need to hire a new coach, possibly bring in new assistants, and maybe install new offenses and defenses depending on the coach. and that would all have to happen in a very small timeframe. it would be a mess.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:04 am

I'd be surprized if he left, to me it looks more like he's keeping his options open.  He's not the local favorite there and even if offered, he might turn it down.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:48 am

NDSportsFan wrote: I'd be surprized if he left, to me it looks more like he's keeping his options open.  He's not the local favorite there and even if offered, he might turn it down.

I do not think he would turn it down if offered, He is looking at a substantial pay raise. He would be looking at a similar conference format with a huge in state rivalry like we have (had). He would be looking at an established program instead of starting fresh with und and going through some lean years.

Anyone remember when Earl Solomonson took the Montana State job after back to back national titles with the Bison? He was a huge flop and did not last long there.

I remember him telling Rocky Hagar after he won two national titles that the grass is not always greener on the other side and to stay where he had a good thing going.

Then Div. II reduced scholarships to even the playing field and the rest is history.

I am not a sioux fan but I am a Dale Lennon fan, he is a good coach who has had success where ever he goes. He surrounds himself with loyal great assistants and I wish him the best at a new venture.

However I believe the coach from Carrol college in Helena is the favorite for the job.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

I'm not sure how much of a pay raise it would be because didn't UND give him a substantial raise about a year and a half ago, to over 100K, which would be on par with most FCS schools.  Unless Montana St. is way off that scale.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:58 am

The only reason I see him doing this is to further his career.  Montana St. isn't that big of a step up than UND is.  They do, however,  have a conference and do not have 5 years of transition lurking ahead.  This could help him get noticed by bigger schools more than staying at UND.  He isn't leaving because of the transition however because he was the biggest fan of going D1.  I personally think he will stay even if he got offered the job.  I think he wants UND to succeed at D1 and they need a good stable coach to lead them during the transition if they want to be good in the future.  If he were to leave, it could have a major impact on the program.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby tcbison » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:08 am

Looks like Van Diest has pulled his name from the hat- http://helenair.com/

Check the red scrolling text at the top of the link.

There are rumors that Dale Lennon is offered the job.

It sounds like Dale Lennon and Buning don't get along very well. Plus, after this year UND can't make the playoffs until 2012.

tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:09 pm

report from Grand Cities say's Lennon is HIS-tory....see ya. Good for Dale, bad for UND. Who in their right mind takes over at UND? weeks before fall practice and heading into the meat grinder called -RECLASSIFICATION...
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:52 pm

If Lennon accepts the job, it will be horrible horrible news for UND.  I am a Bison fan so it makes me happy though.  But really, Lennon is an excellent coach and is a great recruiter, he could have gotten some great recruits even with the transition.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby tcbison » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:26 am

point/center wrote:report from Grand Cities say's Lennon is HIS-tory....see ya. Good for Dale, bad for UND. Who in their right mind takes over at UND? weeks before fall practice and heading into the meat grinder called -RECLASSIFICATION...

What report would that be? Just curious. Others have speculated that he is staying at UND.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:23 am

tcbison wrote:
point/center wrote:report from Grand Cities say's Lennon is HIS-tory....see ya. Good for Dale, bad for UND. Who in their right mind takes over at UND? weeks before fall practice and heading into the meat grinder called -RECLASSIFICATION...

What report would that be? Just curious. Others have speculated that he is staying at UND.

I have heard speculation out of both MSU and UND camps that he is staying.  I sure hope they are right.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:06 pm

Lennon is staying at UND, per WDAZ news at 6.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges