Who thinks the Fighting logo and nickname should be changed?

No smack talk is allowed here.

Keep the logo and name or change it

Change it
31%
Keep it
69%

Total votes : 35

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 10:58 am

What is not so straight about my story.  I never said my motivation was money.  I told you that FSU is supported by the tribe because FSU works with the tribe through different education programs and grants.  These moneys talked about go towards education.  They go towards bettering the people.  UND has done nothing of this sort.  The money that goes into the Native American Center or programs do not come from the college at all.  This money is from the tribes and state and federal programs.  So UND doesn't do any of this! 

If the College took example of Florida State and worked with the tribes, helped with the tribes, they would have a valid arguement.  Right now, they don't have a pot to....... 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:58 am

So if UND gives you guys money can they keep the name?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 10:59 am

Like I told you before, my reason for opposing the UND mascot is not money motivated.  It is a human rights issue
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:01 am

Then why isn't FSU a human rights problem?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 11:03 am

Because they got the support from the tribe.  They came to an agreement with that tribe.  UND hasn't done anything with the "Sioux" tribes. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:04 am

Indians Alumni wrote:Because they got the support from the tribe.  They came to an agreement with that tribe.  UND hasn't done anything with the "Sioux" tribes. 

EXACTLY! So if your tribe gets support from UND is it ok?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon May 21, 2007 11:07 am

But that is it, no one is supporting them.  Not the Tribe I am coming from.  They do not have my support.  UND will not get the tribes support. 

I personally will not support them.  I am saying if they had done what FSU has done, they would have an arguement, but they did not, so they have no leg to stand on
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:09 am

Indians Alumni wrote:But that is it, no one is supporting them.  Not the Tribe I am coming from.  They do not have my support.  UND will not get the tribes support. 

I personally will not support them.
  I am saying if they had done what FSU has done, they would have an arguement, but they did not, so they have no leg to stand on

Well then quite frankly it is your fault if you won't support them. As far as I'm corncered, if UND would be willing to give money to your tribe, then you should be willing to support them.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon May 21, 2007 1:43 pm

Fighting Irish was chosen by Irish administrators as a way of thumbing their noses at the competition.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sports101 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:FSU, works closely with the Seminole tribes, they support the local tribes with programs to promote education.  UND has done nothing of the sort.  Not one dime goes to the Native American Programs at UND.  They are all funded by the state or government.

how do you know that they work together with the tribes.  they can say that they do but how does anyone know if they actually do.  i think the name should stay just like the seminoles who are going to keep their name
sports101

Postby hockey4life » Wed May 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I agree completely
hockey4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby parkerAKAthefuture » Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 am

sports101 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:FSU, works closely with the Seminole tribes, they support the local tribes with programs to promote education.  UND has done nothing of the sort.  Not one dime goes to the Native American Programs at UND.  They are all funded by the state or government.

how do you know that they work together with the tribes.  they can say that they do but how does anyone know if they actually do.  i think the name should stay just like the seminoles who are going to keep their name

Maby this will help.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/23/sportsline/main792345.shtml

NCAA ALLOWS 'SEMINOLES' NICK NAME.  Florida State's Mascot OK Because of School's Tie With Tribe........

parkerAKAthefuture
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu May 24, 2007 8:29 am

That was a pretty good article and pretty much sums it up.  Thanks:up:
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 am

It really doesn't matter IA...you said you would be unwilling to be involved with them...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu May 24, 2007 12:05 pm

Why doesn't it matter, that I give ParkerAKAthefuture props for finding a good article?  It pretty much was what I was trying to say, but that article said it a little better, actually alot better
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:08 pm

I just meant that even if UND would be like that, you said yourself you wouldn't want that sorta relationship.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges