NDSU Football vs UND Hockey

No smack talk is allowed here.

Postby Shocker » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:42 am

Spanky wrote:I know that there a lot of students going to NDSU games but I'm pretty sure they get tickets for free or close to it so that doesn't help at all. I know for a fact that students at UND don't get tickets for free so that helps them with revenue.
NDSU students don't get their tickets for free, they are included in the "activity fees". I believe that more than 50% (I actually think it's closer to 70%) of the activity fees go to Bison athletics. If you attend NDSU, you are basicly forced to get season tickets for every athletic team (obviously at a much reduced rate).
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:56 pm

Actually, at UND, the fees students pay for athletics are approximately the same as the ones NDSU students pay. In fact, the UND folks were just talking about this because they want to raise activity fees by 100 or 200 percent of what NDSU students currently pay for athletics to help finance their move to DI.

But back to the topic: UND hockey grosses more money. NDSU football: $1.5 million. UND hockey: $2.5 million. You can check the Office of Post-secondary Education website (or search "Equity in Athletics"). Leave all the booster club, activity fees, and whatnot out of it and that's your bottom line. The booster clubs are pretty much a wash anyway. When it comes to net, I'm not sure.

NDSU should really be measuring themselves against Montana's football program. The Grizzlies gross FIVE MILLION from football every year. That'd be a tall order since Montana's stadium holds 4000 more people than the FargoDome and they sell out every game, but it makes a lot more sense than making UND a benchmark in any way.

Hehe, there is really no way an NDSU fan can come out a winner by trying to take anything away from UND's hockey program.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:32 pm

flatlander wrote:Actually, at UND, the fees students pay for athletics are approximately the same as the ones NDSU students pay. In fact, the UND folks were just talking about this because they want to raise activity fees by 100 or 200 percent of what NDSU students currently pay for athletics to help finance their move to DI.

But back to the topic: UND hockey grosses more money. NDSU football: $1.5 million. UND hockey: $2.5 million. You can check the Office of Post-secondary Education website (or search "Equity in Athletics"). Leave all the booster club, activity fees, and whatnot out of it and that's your bottom line. The booster clubs are pretty much a wash anyway. When it comes to net, I'm not sure.

NDSU should really be measuring themselves against Montana's football program. The Grizzlies gross FIVE MILLION from football every year. That'd be a tall order since Montana's stadium holds 4000 more people than the FargoDome and they sell out every game, but it makes a lot more sense than making UND a benchmark in any way.

Hehe, there is really no way an NDSU fan can come out a winner by trying to take anything away from UND's hockey program.

That's from 05-06. NDSU made $ 800,000 alone in two games vs. Ball St. and Minnesota.  After an impressive 06 season, I guarantee you it's gone way up.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby flatlander » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:21 pm

Ming01, good point about the guarantees.

NDSU only got paid to go one place in 2005. However, NDSU also had six home games in 2005 compared to five in 2006 and the two guarantees in 2006 were only around $500k total not $800k (the Gophers got NDSU for less than $400k). Hmm, that said, attendance was up pretty good between 2005 and 2006. There is a huge difference between a sellout and a crowd of 15,000 because with a sellout, you've got a higher proportion of non-students (i.e. people who pay for tickets and presumably have more money for concessions).

It'll be interesting to see how large NDSU's revenue increase is. You kind of have me convinced that NDSU may have cracked $2 million. That's still not close to the REA's gross from hockey.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:16 am

[user=46]flatlander[/user] wrote:

the two guarantees in 2006 were only around $500k total not $800k (the Gophers got NDSU for less than $400k).

Well Ming also said on the bison message board that the Gophers football team made about 30 mil more then the hockey team. :)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 am

ndfan wrote:[user=46]flatlander[/user] wrote:

the two guarantees in 2006 were only around $500k total?not $800k (the Gophers got NDSU for less than $400k).

Well Ming also said on the bison message board that the Gophers football team made about 30 mil more then the hockey team. :)

i'll admit that was stupid.  i thought minnesota football would be around $40 mil.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby the low down » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Ming01 wrote:

the two guarantees in 2006 were only around $500k total?not $800k (the Gophers got NDSU for less than $400k).

i'll admit that was stupid.  i thought minnesota football would be around $40 mil.

Ming,  what did you find as the number comparison (or lack there of) between Minnesota football and hockey?  Link?
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:32 pm

the low down wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

Ming,  what did you find as the number comparison (or lack there of) between Minnesota football and hockey?  Link?

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

MN football=$16,679,279
Total Revenues of all Mens Sports, except football and basketball, combined= $7,255,465

Keep in mind this is from 05-06
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Re: NDSU Football vs UND Hockey

Postby gabe » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:55 am

Throughout the state, hockey is a tad bigger right now. I think it has peaked. NDSU football is a close 2nd but rising. Suprisingly, the athletic budget for the 2 sports is getting closer by the day.

Football is the biggest sport in America. Hockey is less popular than football, baseball, and basketball. Hockey falls into the same category as soccer. It's just not that big in this country.

For that reason, football has the potential to be much bigger than hockey. NDSU football is going to get some big time exposure in Illinois now that they are in the Gateway. They have sold out nearly every home football game and have played in front of numeous sellout crowds at visiting stadiums. NDSU has been on Fox Sports Net multiple times and the Big Ten Network. Most games have been on TV this year but next year, all of the games will be on TV including most of the Gateway games on Fox Sports Net Illinois/Missouri. NDSU is getting national press and respect with the #1 ranking and they haven't even gone ot the playoffs!

Ironically enough, NDSU basketball will someday be the biggest sport and it has 100X the potential. NDSU is in the Summitt, which is an out bid confernce to the NCAA Tournament. NDSU can win the confernce and with a few wins, they are suddenly into the sweet 16 and getting a gigantic check from the TV deal.
gabe

Postby Johhnyping » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:53 am

Hockey is a cult sport followed by fewer people than tennis!
Johhnyping
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stromer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:34 pm

Johhnyping wrote:Hockey is a cult sport followed by fewer people than tennis!

Well I know at least 1 other hockey fan so that blows your theory out of the water.
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:41 pm

Just a reminder to all members, but this is not a site for UND or NDSU trash talk. If I think something is unacceptable I will delete it, or if I receive complaints, it is probably gone. This format has a "report post to moderator" function if needed.

Thanks
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:24 pm

I had a similar discussion with a friend except it was regarding which was the "main event" in North Dakota

Both are great to watch. Been to the Ralph and been the dome many times. But as for the main event of North Dakota...you can't beat the State Class B boys basketball tournament.

Back to the topic. I don't think you can compare the two myself. They are apples and oranges. It is like comparing the aerospace program enrollments to the pharmacy program enrollments. Both are great for our state and both serve as a great resource for our students at those universities. Rather than dwell on which is better, promote both.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:46 pm

The topic isn't about which is better, it's about which produces higher annual revenue
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:41 pm

Can someone tell me how much season tickets are for Bison Football....

UND Hockey???/
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:20 pm

i only know the UND ticket prices. for just a normal season ticket at the Ralph, it is $355 per seat, obviously they are more expensive the further down the stadium you go
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges