All-School Teams

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby ndbb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:47 pm

Perles wrote:I'd like to take a stab at a Jamestown roster here:

PG: Tyler Falk (commonly known as the 'Floor General')

SG: Bryan Flam (did he ever miss?)

SF: Jason Bitz (currently playing for the Jamestown Jimmies, has great range for a big-man)

PF: Steve Koenig (dominated the boards for coach Jerry Mayer)

C: Mike Neumiller (Had post moves that made other players look lost)

Honorable Mention: Steve Hockert, John Ruff, Justin Cross, Tony Erickson, Tyler Perleberg, and Nathan Kirby.

I am not readily familiar with any 70's(or prior) or early 80's players.

only a Perleberg would pick Tyler Perleberg on the team.  How about Tim Fletcher?  Nathan Hunt, honorable mention. Tyler Falk I would put as an honorable mention, maybe.  Jeff Gould should be starting PG, he played at JC, and he was a stud on the floor.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballuvr » Mon May 01, 2006 5:44 pm

point/center wrote:maybe we'll throw a LaMoure team out there:
Leon Thielges
Chad Anderson
Bruce Shockman
Jake Holen
Scott Hager

This is a great team. You do need to have Dennis Holen [Holen boy's dad] on the team. A three year MVP, 1000+ scorer, great shooter, great team player too.

Also, Derold Haugen, a member with Thielges and Shockman of the '76 State Championship team. He was a very good shooter, rebounder and defensive player as well. One of the smartest athletes you will ever see. True all around athelete.

The 76 team was for sure one of the best in ND history. Average winning margin of 25 ppg during the season, and won all three state tnmnt. games by 24 or more. That included beating undefeated Lakota in the semis, and undefeated Newtown in the championship. 29-0.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon May 01, 2006 6:11 pm

What no Warckens on that team?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballuvr » Tue May 02, 2006 6:27 pm

Good point. Some very very good athletes in the Warcken families. I would have to defer to someone who has seen most or all of them play. Definitely football for most or all of them. I've seen a couple play hoops that were good, but probably better at football. Most were pretty darn good baseball players also.

Maybe Chris Warcken for hoops. He played on a state entry team.
bballuvr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Southwest supporter » Sun May 14, 2006 5:25 pm

Anyone hear of Hettinger?  They had some studs from Teddy Uecker to Jeremy and Jesse Vliem. They had the height and talent back in the earily 90's just needed a coach to help them out.  I remember they had a line up of 6'0" at the guards and 6'9 center Vliem, and forwards 6'4 and above.  Plus the first couple of players off the bench were 6'3 or better.  We are not talking thin skinny kids we are talking farm fed and athletic for a Class B school
Southwest supporter
NDPreps Rookie

Postby magic715 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:36 pm

Double Bonus wrote:Minot would do fine, too.

Point guard: Brock Teets (never turned the ball over)

Center: Kenny Younger

Forward: Jeff Brandt

Forward: Kirk Mundy

Guard: Shane Soltis

LOL u gotta be kidding right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with Younger, Brandt and Mundy, but how can u leave off Witwer, and both Manson's i like Teets but he was not one of there best players ever, as for soltis he was good but not that good, unless u like attitude.  Honorable Mention Kurt Carlson.
magic715

Postby point/center » Thu May 18, 2006 3:10 am

Hettinger team cant' go without Bill Butterfield or his Dad John for that matter. Maybe one of the best father-son-tandems in the state.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Notorious » Tue May 23, 2006 5:22 am

How about all Dickinson, Mandan or Bismarck......???  Anyone?
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm

Minot High

G - Bart Manson

G - Mark Kinnebrew

C - Kenny Younger

F - Jeff Brandt

F - Matt Witwer

Bench

G - Ross Manson

F - Kent Bloms

F - Kirk Mundy

G - Wayne Witty

G - Steve Grabowski

G - Mark Olson

G - Dan Upton

G - Robert Dobson

G - Brett Berryman

G - Brock Teets

G - Ed Baker (Did he play at Minot High, heard he was real good)

G - Jay January (even though he only played his Freshman year)
sportsguy

Postby surferdan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:07 pm

Notorious wrote:How about all Dickinson, Mandan or Bismarck......???  Anyone?

Well it is tough for me because I dont know much about the past basketball program at Dickinson. To be honest I dont know really anything, but I do know some names.. not many positions. I'll take a stab at throwing out some names.

Jaden Blake
Troy Ott
Lucas Moorman

hmm... let me think
I'm trying to think of players from the 1997 and 2003 teams. 2003 Dickinson won State Championship, and 1997 they were definetly favorites. Poor coaching.

Shawn Gabbert (Awesome all around athlete.. dont know how good in basketball)
Tate Kick (could possibly go down as a great from Dickinson)

If I throw any others out there they could have been just regular athletes that I thought were good although no one has heard of. Then I would make a fool of myself:D haha

Anyone else that knows anything probably knows more then me so if correct me or help me or one or the other. Thanks
Last edited by surferdan on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." – Adam Savage of Mythbusters
surferdan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby automatic99 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:15 am

I'm not really sure I agree with David Fyre being a part of the all-time MPCG team.  I think you may overlooking some of the other players they've had over the years.
automatic99
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:37 pm

Last edited by BB Fan on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe another day
BB Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Spiritof76 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:35 pm

Let me take a crack at Regent High School-

PG-Gregg Klein-1990-5'8" sparkplug with great court sense,  a good shooter, gret passer, defender and a great floor general. All State player 1990

SG-Scott Sheldon-1994-6'2" lanky player. Could score from anywhere and was as competitive as they come. I think he is Regents all-time leading scorer. Started since he was a Freshman. Mr. Basketball finalist 1994.

SF-Jim Honeyman-1984- 6'2" player. Was one of the most fundamental players to be a RANGER. Very athletic and composed at all times. This guy is the one you wanted at with the ball with the game on the line.

PF-Shorty Klein-1989-6'2". One of the best inside games for a guy his size. His up and under move was similiar to Kevin McHales. Also a very composed player. Showed no emotion on the court but was a fierce competitor. All State 1989.

C-Curt Honeyman-1979-6'4". Curt was a big strong player who could go inside and out. Curt was a deadly shooter, especially from the line. Smart player who was a good passer for his size.

BENCH-Bruce Christopherson, Tim Kramer, David Christoperson, Les Gion, Dave Jahner, Kevin Remington, Michael Candrian
Spiritof76
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:38 pm

North Border(This includes players who played for north border as neche/pembina and then the neche/pembina/walhalla) only reason i dont do walhalla's is because i dont know their great older players well enough to get the right players

PG - Donovan Delude - 4 year starter, fastest man on the court at all times, amazing play-maker, ball-handler.

PG - Jason Tryan - 4 year contributor, 3 year starter - money from three point line, cool level headed player

SG - Warren Eagen - 4 year starter - (started in walhalla 2 years before the co-op, scored 1000+ points, part of state championship team) one of the most fun players to watch - college basketball at lake region

SG/SF - Mike Meagher - all around basketball player, 6'5 could bring the ball up, post up defender, shoot and score well, great defender

SG - John Emerson - Deadly 3 point shooter - 3 year starter, 2 years all conference

SF - Dennis Delude - 4 year starter, leading scorer in schools history, defensive stopper, coaches dream as a player. - ran track in college and msum i beleive

SF - Zak Winkler - 3 year starter, 2nd leading scorer in school history 70 or so points behind delude.  athletic, fast (state level sprinter in track) - now playing fb at UM-D.

SF - Greg Volk - highest scoring average per game in schools history, averaged 26+ points per game as a senior on region runner up team. 

Bryan Kalliokowski - 2 year all conference player, strong, good footwork in post

PF - Nathan Carrier - 1000+ points, played amazing in state championship game against evan lindahl.. 18 points, 10+ rebounds.  big man with good post moves, great rebounder and good mid range shot.  college basketball at lake region

C - Aaron Bonaime - 2 year starter, incredible footwork in paint, good rebounder. 4 years of basketball at mayville state.

C - Cory Berg - not sure on this one too much, my mom told me about him said he was a good center and was always in the news, bigger guy, played at mayville state.

honorable mention - matt defoe, brett stanhope, travis stegman, justin rowe, james degelder.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:12 pm

Oh i think you need to throw in marcus into that team too
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:34 pm

The Schwab wrote:Oh i think you need to throw in marcus into that team too

haha thanks but i'd be lucky to crack the honorbale mention...
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cityleaguer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:20 am

I'm not real sure about older players in Dickinson but I'd say:

6'9" Lucas Moormann  2004 (Mr. Basketball)

6'8" Jaden Blake  1998 (led team to #1 rank in state but choked at WDA)

6'2" Shawn Gabbert  1998 (great athlete...7' high jumper)

6'5" Troy Ott  2003 (led team to only championship, Mr. Basketball candidate)

6'5" Tate Kick 2007 (probable 2 time all stater, might go down as best ever from DIX)
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mitchstrand » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:35 pm

Mott/Regent

PG- Jon Meier

SG- Brian Olson

F- Jaden Honeyman (MSU-B)

F- Clint Grosz

C- Tyler Greff (Dickinson State)

Bench- Brade Schweitzer, Grant Gion, Leonard Prince (BSC), Blaise Kautzman
mitchstrand
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:56 am

mitchstrand wrote:Mott/Regent

PG- Jon Meier

SG- Brian Olson

F- Clint Grosz

Scott Sheldon
Jay Sheldon
Jeff Sheldon
Greg Klein
Shorty Klein

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 am

I heard that Jeff combined with Bruce Shockman to score 78 points in an amatuer game.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby mitchstrand » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:59 pm

point/center wrote:
mitchstrand wrote:Mott/Regent

PG- Jon Meier

SG- Brian Olson

F- Clint Grosz

Scott Sheldon
Jay Sheldon
Jeff Sheldon
Greg Klein
Shorty Klein

Thats the Regent all-school team....but i was trying to just go Mott/Regent...which has been around since 2000....and you might have forgot two huge regent players.  Rocco Schroeder and Mike Candrian should also be included.  Steve Wiseman was also pretty good.
mitchstrand
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 am

no doubt just having the threat of Jeff on the court gave Schockman easily 20pts a night. most teams sagged off of Bruce and doubled jeff on the wing. and night after night Jeff made them pay. i think the game you're talking about jeff had like 20 assists. Jeff was the complete player.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 am

It is too bad he is only about a third of the man he used to be.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:06 am

Tiger Pride wrote:It is too bad he is only about a third of the man he used to be.

leprosy?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:34 am

I saw him on a body connection commercial lost like a 100 pounds.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics