Livestreams

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Livestreams

Postby sportsnut5 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:07 am

With the Pixellot system and NFHS, the scoreboard feature is an additional camera that focuses on the scoreboard. In most of the gyms in North Dakota this feature is a struggle. The reasoning for this I believe is the relationship between our scoreboards and the ceiling and lights of the gym. I know in our gym, the ceiling is not high enough. The lights in the gym are too close to the scoreboard and the reflection of those lights cause the camera to pick up inaccurate readings of the time and score. For us, we often get a score of 88 because the camera reads the reflection of the lights as all the bars on the scoreboard are lit up. It is a struggle, but at least the game can be viewed and hopefully this feature can be improved upon.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:14 pm

so if they have a camera pointed at the scoreboard, why not just show the actual scoreboard like Hudl does?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:49 am

sportsnut5 wrote:With the Pixellot system and NFHS, the scoreboard feature is an additional camera that focuses on the scoreboard. In most of the gyms in North Dakota this feature is a struggle. The reasoning for this I believe is the relationship between our scoreboards and the ceiling and lights of the gym. I know in our gym, the ceiling is not high enough. The lights in the gym are too close to the scoreboard and the reflection of those lights cause the camera to pick up inaccurate readings of the time and score. For us, we often get a score of 88 because the camera reads the reflection of the lights as all the bars on the scoreboard are lit up. It is a struggle, but at least the game can be viewed and hopefully this feature can be improved upon.

Seems like something they should make sure works before they let schools pay to use NFHS and get people to pay for it. Not trying to sound ungrateful, but knowing the time and score helps when they don’t provide commentary.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:09 am

commentary is up to the local school. If a radio station is doing the game, it's easy to connect the output in to the NFHS feed, and you can also use a local person with a $50 audio mixer to do it. I don't know if they're still doing it this way, but MyLiveEvent used to use a camera with a character reader pointed at the scoreboard and I never saw them having problems with it.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:31 am

vikingman wrote:commentary is up to the local school. If a radio station is doing the game, it's easy to connect the output in to the NFHS feed, and you can also use a local person with a $50 audio mixer to do it. I don't know if they're still doing it this way, but MyLiveEvent used to use a camera with a character reader pointed at the scoreboard and I never saw them having problems with it.

It seems obvious that if you're livestreaming a game without commentary with a radio station covering it, to have those two sides work together. NFHS or the schools using them need confirm their cameras are going to pick up what they need, or find a way to display it another way.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:04 pm

It's now past 10 pm, but I still can't watch the Enderlin/LaMoure game because it is still 'Live'
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:12 pm

The Enderlin/LaMoure stream finally went off-air at 10:30, but now is no longer listed in the 'on demand' section.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:34 pm

vikingman wrote:The Enderlin/LaMoure stream finally went off-air at 10:30, but now is no longer listed in the 'on demand' section.

I would also like to watch it and I can't find it on YouTube, NFHS, or Magnitude. Starting to think we aren't going to have the pleasure.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:01 pm

ask the right coach and he'll get yo a copy.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby T reporter » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:54 pm

What is the deal with the live streaming? Was watching the White Shield vs Parshall game. White Shield was up by a couple with 20 some seconds to go in overtime and the live streaming quits. This is the 3rd or 4th game this has happened Is it my computer or what, very disappointing Who won? Jesse sank a triple to send it to overtime.
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:15 am

I've complained about how so many schools keep the stream going for an hour or more after the game is over--in this case it looks like they probably scheduled it to end at a certain time and the game wasn't quite over yet.

Both teams had chances to hold on to the ball with the lead, but apparently they would rather shoot a 25-footer than let the clock run out and give them the win.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby T reporter » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:09 am

Any of the Class B girls region tournament going to be on NFHS network? Some of the districts were some not.

How about boys districts?
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 am

Looks like Region 7 is the only one doing all 4 games today on NFHS.

Your Live Event on youtube has Region 2 and Region 1 (although the central cass game isn't listed right now)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am

while the explosion of webcasts this season is great, in addition to my complaints about NFHS' problems, I have one more irritation:

I realize that we aren't dealing with professional play-by-play people for most of these games, but it wouldn't hurt to watch a college game on ESPN to see how an experienced play-by-play is done. Talk is kept to a minimum (the color commentator is often times saying more than the play-by-play person is).

Just this past weekend I've watched several streams that would have almost been better without play-by-play. If you have video, you don't have to describe EVERY single pass and dribble that occurs. If you're running out of breath, or if the action is so fast that you're one play behind in your description, you're saying too much.

If you have a radio broadcast feeding in to your video, that's a different story--the announcer has to assume that most of the audience is NOT seeing the video. But even then, a good radio announcer says less than some of the streamer announcers are saying.

Just give a general overview of what's happening. Mention the name of the person with the ball. And if you're doing an NFHS stream, make sure to mention the score OFTEN.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby wnrwnrckndnr » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:37 am

vikingman wrote:while the explosion of webcasts this season is great, in addition to my complaints about NFHS' problems, I have one more irritation:

I realize that we aren't dealing with professional play-by-play people for most of these games, but it wouldn't hurt to watch a college game on ESPN to see how an experienced play-by-play is done. Talk is kept to a minimum (the color commentator is often times saying more than the play-by-play person is).

Just this past weekend I've watched several streams that would have almost been better without play-by-play. If you have video, you don't have to describe EVERY single pass and dribble that occurs. If you're running out of breath, or if the action is so fast that you're one play behind in your description, you're saying too much.

If you have a radio broadcast feeding in to your video, that's a different story--the announcer has to assume that most of the audience is NOT seeing the video. But even then, a good radio announcer says less than some of the streamer announcers are saying.

Just give a general overview of what's happening. Mention the name of the person with the ball. And if you're doing an NFHS stream, make sure to mention the score OFTEN.

I'm going to contradict your statement and say I appreciate all the schools that have any kind of commentary whether it's to much or not. It's much more entertaining to hear commentary than watching a game without it. It's easy to mute your volume if you don't want to hear what they have to say, but its pretty tough to turn the volume up when there is nobody talking to start with.
wnrwnrckndnr
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:31 pm

T reporter wrote:Any of the Class B girls region tournament going to be on NFHS network? Some of the districts were some not.

How about boys districts?

BEK is doing Regions 3 and 8, all games. You can either stream them or watch on tv if you get BEK.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:53 pm

How much did it cost this year to stream the entire tournament?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:49 am

PSP Network out of Minot are doing some cool things with streaming games on youtube.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:42 pm

i hate to keep beating a dead horse, but after seeing the story about the Bismarck game yesterday, I thought it would be worth watching.

But, NFHS can spoil even a game like that. No announcers (not NHHS' fault) and no scoreboard (except for a few times when it displayed nothing but '8's. How hard is it to get this fixed????
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:45 pm

vikingman wrote:i hate to keep beating a dead horse, but after seeing the story about the Bismarck game yesterday, I thought it would be worth watching.

But, NFHS can spoil even a game like that. No announcers (not NHHS' fault) and no scoreboard (except for a few times when it displayed nothing but '8's. How hard is it to get this fixed????

heck of a game wasn't it!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:00 pm

One of the best high school games I've seen - Watched it on TV but you could feel the atmosphere through the TV. North Dakota has a lot of talented basketball player - Great to see!
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby birthday » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:19 pm

It’s not NFHS fault for no scoreboard, the school needs to plug there scoreboard into the NFHS feed, so it’s a athletic director problem.
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:48 pm

vikingman wrote:i hate to keep beating a dead horse, but after seeing the story about the Bismarck game yesterday, I thought it would be worth watching.

I’m still blown away with the complaint about the livestream, best thing that has ever happened in ND sports. It doesn’t bother me with no announcers I mute most games anyways. The scoreboard is dead center middle of the court on the score table, little blurry but I can make it out.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:03 pm

I'm not saying that the streams aren't worth watching, but NFHS still hasn't figured out how to do something that pretty much every other platform has been doing for several years.

As for connecting the NFHS equipment to the scoreboard, I'm not sure that's how most schools do it. I've been told (and my observations seem to confirm) that in many cases they are using a type of optical character reader that is totally inadequate. In the Bismarck game, at some point in the second half, the scoreboard is on, and it shows nothing but 8s--that seems to be screwed up character recognition--I've seen it many times in multiple schools over the past year or two.

and more power to you if you have eyes that can read the scoreboard at the scorer's table.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 pm

I've noticed a lot of schools have had a camera put on the scoreboard. They weren't doing this last year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys