Rocky Boy vs. Malta Montana

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Rocky Boy vs. Malta Montana

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:01 pm

https://www.montanasports.com/high-scho ... ul%20calls.

Check this out from our neighbors to the west. Pretty crazy stuff
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: Rocky Boy vs. Malta Montana

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:12 pm

I was thinking about posting this.
I showed it to a friend that is originally from MT. They said Rocky Boy is on a reservation and this happens to them.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 pm

Wow, seems like some very questionable calls there. Of course you don't know what was said from the bench and what warnings were given prior as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:47 pm

You beat me to this as well...

Have to imagine the bench technical doesn't occur if those first few aren't called the way they were.

Very unfortunate situation here...absolutely uncalled for as well; If those are flopping technicals then there should be 100+ called this year in ND. JV game was similarly called as well from reports.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 pm

I watched the whole game on NFHS, here are my responses the what happened and what lead up to it:

1st Technical- If slapping the backboard is a technical (I've seen it at least 15 times in the past year and none have been called) than this one would be deserved.

2nd Technical- Their was contact on the play, I didn't see enough there to warrant a "T" (leading up to it, a few plays before a Rocky boy player was called for a block on IMO an obvious charge)

3rd Technical- Bench was warned a couple plays prior for a sideline warning, coach got warned for being on the floor, the tech was called on the assistant (could tell what was said or which one said it due to masks) it was probably deserved.

4th Technical- On Malta bench, arguing that the wrong player had been given the foul, not sure why the officials didn't conference, couldn't hear it

5th foul on the clip was a common foul after the shot had been made, Rocky Boy player did forearm a kid, definitely deserved to be called. It was called after the basket, so the basket counted.

5th Technical- Was contact on the shot, should have not been a "T" should have been a 3 shot foul attempt for Rocky Boy, then in the aftermath of this, not sure how many techs were called, all on Rocky Boy bench. Athletic Director who was also an assistant coach pulled players off of the floor.

A few side notes:
This game happened on Tuesday (They also played the Friday before and Rocky Boy won at home), It looked pretty obvious to me that Rocky Boy is the better team, were just really off in the first 12 minutes of the game. Rocky Boy had a player go down with a knee injury early in the 3rd quarter (didn't protect the airborne shooter in my opinion and that was the player who got hurt). Rocky Boy had one player who I thought could have been "T'd" for his antics, rest of the players and coaches appeared pretty good to me. During the tech free throws Malta shot on their side of the floor, the coach was talking to his players on their side of the half-line, which shouldn't have been allowed. The game was on the radio which the feed was on NFHS, didn't hear the announcers one time mention total fouls on either team, but it wasn't close. Also, one of the refs shared a name with one of the Malta players, wasn't a common last name either. There was a double foul called with just under 7 to go in the game when a Malta player shoved a Rocky boy player in the back, clearly should have been a lone foul on that player. It was called when the shot was in the air, so it should have been a jump ball (arrow was with Rocky Boy) they gave it to Malta.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:17 pm

The Schwab wrote:I watched the whole game on NFHS, here are my responses the what happened and what lead up to it:

1st Technical- If slapping the backboard is a technical (I've seen it at least 15 times in the past year and none have been called) than this one would be deserved.

2nd Technical- Their was contact on the play, I didn't see enough there to warrant a "T" (leading up to it, a few plays before a Rocky boy player was called for a block on IMO an obvious charge)

3rd Technical- Bench was warned a couple plays prior for a sideline warning, coach got warned for being on the floor, the tech was called on the assistant (could tell what was said or which one said it due to masks) it was probably deserved.

4th Technical- On Malta bench, arguing that the wrong player had been given the foul, not sure why the officials didn't conference, couldn't hear it

5th foul on the clip was a common foul after the shot had been made, Rocky Boy player did forearm a kid, definitely deserved to be called. It was called after the basket, so the basket counted.

5th Technical- Was contact on the shot, should have not been a "T" should have been a 3 shot foul attempt for Rocky Boy, then in the aftermath of this, not sure how many techs were called, all on Rocky Boy bench. Athletic Director who was also an assistant coach pulled players off of the floor.

A few side notes:
This game happened on Tuesday (They also played the Friday before and Rocky Boy won at home), It looked pretty obvious to me that Rocky Boy is the better team, were just really off in the first 12 minutes of the game. Rocky Boy had a player go down with a knee injury early in the 3rd quarter (didn't protect the airborne shooter in my opinion and that was the player who got hurt). Rocky Boy had one player who I thought could have been "T'd" for his antics, rest of the players and coaches appeared pretty good to me. During the tech free throws Malta shot on their side of the floor, the coach was talking to his players on their side of the half-line, which shouldn't have been allowed. The game was on the radio which the feed was on NFHS, didn't hear the announcers one time mention total fouls on either team, but it wasn't close. Also, one of the refs shared a name with one of the Malta players, wasn't a common last name either. There was a double foul called with just under 7 to go in the game when a Malta player shoved a Rocky boy player in the back, clearly should have been a lone foul on that player. It was called when the shot was in the air, so it should have been a jump ball (arrow was with Rocky Boy) they gave it to Malta.

Watch the coach on the 3rd Tech - his toes are on the court and he's told to step off the court...so he repositions himself off the court but on the edge then the 'T' came...could the 'T' been given to the head coach there for his compliance to be off the court (again you never know if the bench actually said something at the same time but that's the subtlety that I noticed on that one).

I now just noticed the jab the RB player gave on the push off call...it was quick but now on a bigger screen to view it I noticed it.

Slapping the backboard on a block attempt hasn't been called in a long time in games I've seen...it's when it's done to alter the ball already on the rim or out of frustration. I didn't see that here...this looked to be on a block attempt by the defender's setup.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Basketball - Class B