COVID-19 and the return of HS athletics

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: COVID-19 and the return of HS athletics

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:03 pm

I'll try to answer your reply in order, not going to quote as it takes up too much space.

1. I will agree with you that manufacturing jobs are increasing, I disagree that this will bring back small town, main street America. I would absolutely love to be wrong on this, I would love to see small town business alive and well.

2. I absolutely agree that amazon and walmart experienced huge gains (which I hate seeing, because it kills more small town businesses), but they weren't the only areas that grew. Outdoor gear providers (biking, hiking, golf etc... experienced great gains), the collectible industries (small vintage toy stores, record stores etc...) experienced growth. I would assume that flower shops and outdoor landscape companies also experienced great gains.

3. Do I think it's as deadly as first claimed? Absolutely not. I don't like people saying that only people with pre-existing conditions as the only ones who suffer. Do people realize all that is entailed in the pre-existing conditions. Do you think that being overweight, auto immune disease, diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure etc... should be a death sentence. I know I don't

4. Wearing a mask doesn't protect you (unless you're wearing a respirator such as an N-95). It helps protect other people. I know that I will wear one as it helps protect others because I may be asymptomatic and don't want to spread it to the other vulnerable populations. If you have questions as to if masks work or not, I encourage you to research countries where masks are the norm and their population has higher density than we do. The fact of the matter is: mask wearing has turned into a political thing. If you wear a mask you must be a liberal is the general belief in our state. I would actually love to see a poll where they get opinions from actual medical doctors to see the percentages in favor of masks.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Good stuff as always Schwab:

1. Bringing back small town and bringing back main street America are 2 different things IMO. Also, bringing back brick and mortar businesses are not always necessary with the ability to utilize the internet to keep overhead down. Much more efficient ways to reduce square footage and still bring back main street. As for small towns coming back? Most small towns no longer have enough basic infrastructure to ever come back. Hopefully some of these small towns have entrepreneurs who can get people to move to their towns and work via utilization of the internet, satellites, etc. :D

2. My bigger point was the closing of businesses and "herding our population" through "gates". Social distancing was the big point early on and still is. By closing most businesses and herding the population into a few areas lacked common sense in my mind. It seemed exactly opposite of what they were preaching.

3. I disagree that everybody has to have their hand held. Symptoms and people who were more likely to catch the virus was known early on. Other than that, I concur with your post.

4. Agree with wearing a respirator protects the person using it. It's for inhalation protection. You are spot on with population density. However, did you also know that these other countries that you speak of utilized hydroxychloroquine in conjunction with zinc and azithromycin. Even in so called 3rd world countries, the use of the above "3-pack" early on had tremendous success. Touching on the political point of your statement, the only reason the use of the 3-pack was shot down in the US was because 1 person touted it as a possible aid in fighting the virus, therefore you could not discuss it, agree with it, or use it unless prescribed. Very sad that everything has become political. As for wearing a mask to protect others, I think it's fine. For me, I find myself constantly moving it and touching it, mask that is. Then touching something else without thinking. Having followed food safety manufacturing guidelines for years, washing your hands properly, staying home when sick, keeping your distance and covering your mouth if you have to cough or sneeze are all good practices. Wearing a mask is certainly an option if you choose. Staying home from events if you feel you are at high risk is common sense. But mandating these things are a stretch too far IMO.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:48 pm

I truly hate how everything has been politicized. I agree with most of what you said, but I don't know if we are ever going to agree on the mask issue. However, it's completely fine that we don't! Everyone is entitled to their opinions! I wish that people in power and running for power could be more civil. I think it would make our country a lot better and it would make me feel as if we weren't sitting on top of a powder keg.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:58 pm

The Schwab wrote: but I don't know if we are ever going to agree on the mask issue. However, it's completely fine that we don't! Everyone is entitled to their opinions!

Homerun. What I have always appreciated about this website. Open dialogue and respecting other's opinions. Doesn't mean we have to agree, but being civilized and having discussions can be very eye opening. Well said.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:02 pm

https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/mas ... ial-policy

I enjoy reading/researching medical/scientific reports. Please read this article and tell me your thoughts. The most impressive findings start about half way through the article. It is very thorough with all studies and results attached. These studies have been around for over a decade. Funny how they are never allowed in main stream media vs. "opinions" from so called "experts". Follow the money. Let me have it.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:01 am

I quickly read through the items on your article. The bulk of these studies were done multiple years ago so I would question if the studies had everyone wearing masks (the infected and not infected). Masks don't prevent people from getting Covid-19, but they help infected people not spread it.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 am

NDPREP wrote:
"If it wasn't such a sad state of affairs it would almost be comical, this comes from the same people who abhor abortions, not saying I am for them but its the exact same reasoning they are against them, if it only saves 1 life, yet a cloth face covering is too much to ask, save a life and a livelihood. simple facts is one small gesture to help fellow humans is too much. this is the exact reason sports will be postponed and we have only ourselves to blame, I am glad we made it through football but if we can't at least take a little action then state B will be off again."

(Did not want to hijack the other thread any more than already so putting this here)
Do you not see the ultimate hypocrisy in your post? You are comparing abortion, where the woman asks to have a choice and the survival rate is 0%. Compared to people who are being mandated/fined (no choice) to wear a mask for a virus that if infected has a survival rate of 99.95% (0-49 years old released yesterday by CDC). Also, I am pro-choice and have been all my life for my own personal reasons and do not think abortion should be politicized. However, I have often wondered how it is a felony to destroy an eagle's egg but not a human's.
It's not the one small gesture of wearing masks. It's the way they have divided the nation over it. They make it "you against me", "them against us". That's what it's all about. You see it here. And there can't be any middle road. Businesses destroyed. Lives destroyed. All for a virus that is proving to have no worse mortality rate than other viruses. I have had covid. Know at least 20 other people who also have. Tired at first. Slight headache. I did lose my taste and smell. Starts coming back after a week or so. Myself, nor any other person I know who has had it went to the hospital or have any lasting effects.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am

NDPREP wrote:

"Science is simple, cloth blocks respiratory particles that can carry the virus, everyone wears a mask we block 80-90% of transmissible pathogens. Trump also lost the election if we hadn't heard?

All we ever heard was the anecdotes about how tough the older generations have had it, up hill both ways and 2 feet of snow, who would have thought a piece of cloth would be the thing that brought them down and was the last straw...."

Absolutely do not agree with 80-90% blockage rate for pathogens using a cloth.

As for the election, it isn't over until states first certify election results and electoral votes cast. And like every other year, there will be challenges. However, if President Trump loses, so be it. Can guarantee you there won't be temper tantrums, rioting, looting, and nonstop media slander/bias for 4 years.

And for the last part, it doesn't seem like much of an analogy. If a person grew up in tougher times and doesn't feel like wearing a mask makes much sense concerning a virus with 99.9% survival rate, how is a piece of cloth the last straw and bringing them down? If a mask really is about protecting everybody else, then why doesn't the person just stay away from everybody else if they are afraid of spreading it? That's a personal choice.

My personal opinion on masks is this: Masks were designed for inhalation protection. When worn, a vacuum is created to help seal around the face and pull air through filtering media. When exhaling, the large volume of air will take the path of least resistance, which is generally around the mask. For complete sealed masks, they have exhaust ports to do this, allowing the exhausted air not to go back out through filter media. They have always been designed to protect the wearer. But, as this pandemic gathered steam, that logic didn't fit well with some things. Since if masks really did work for what there were designed for, the person wearing them would never inhale the virus, so how could they ever spread it? So, a different approach had to be sought. It had to show that it protected others. And here we are. I have said from the very beginning, please wear a mask if you feel safer doing it. Also, if it is required to go in buildings, etc., wear them if you want to go inside. Or don't go in. But I don't think they should be mandated throughout our society. This is my own personal opinion of course, and you may attack as you wish.
Last edited by classB4ever on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 am

We can debate all day long about the dividing of the nation, both sides of the issue are responsible for that. I know multiple people who have had the virus as well. Two of the people I know are in good physical health (both college athletes and still work out all the time). A month after being cleared one still has a resting heart rate of over 100 and one got winded walking a block when I was with them. The scariest thing to me about this virus is that we don't know how it's going to affect different people.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WDA_fan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 pm

The Schwab wrote:We can debate all day long about the dividing of the nation, both sides of the issue are responsible for that. I know multiple people who have had the virus as well. Two of the people I know are in good physical health (both college athletes and still work out all the time). A month after being cleared one still has a resting heart rate of over 100 and one got winded walking a block when I was with them. The scariest thing to me about this virus is that we don't know how it's going to affect different people.

I could not agree more!! I know a collegiate distance runner (in very good condition obviously) didn't have to go to the hospital or anything with COVID but a month later still has trouble going up stairs or walking very far (to your point). Every illness affects everyone differently.

I do not understand the people that are freaking out about wanting to play high school sports but are not willing to wear a mask?
WDA_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:48 am

So, a year later, I am wondering what people's thoughts are on Covid. A lot of people are starting to see how some of our government and main stream media are lockstep in playing this out. Some states have done extremely well by not buying into the madness, did not lock down all their businesses and used common sense in their approach to education, sports, etc.

It seems the states that shut down all the businesses, quarantined the longest, didn't allow holidays, mandated masks everywhere (except of course for the politicians who pushed it) and still have their schools closed are the ones that had the massive breakouts, ruined the most businesses, ruined the most lives, and I shudder to think the damage they have done to the young children. They are also still trying to push it. But lo and behold, they are the ones getting bailed out by the next round of "Covid relief".

What irks me the most is what they have done to US citizens traveling throughout the US. They are mandated to wear masks wherever they go. Many were not allowed to leave states or enter other states due to the "new rules". And if they were caught doing so, paid a very hefty fine. However, we are now seeing people flooding into our country unchecked, unmasked and allowed to go anywhere and this is ok? But I guess if we listen to them and all start wearing 2 masks, that will make up for the people coming in not wearing any. Wow.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Thu May 11, 2023 9:03 am

momofathletes wrote:
classB4ever wrote:Also, the number of deaths being claimed are subject to some very harsh criticism. Died because of Covid19 and with Covid19 seems to disappear from all the reports. Therefore the numbers have been inflated by who knows how much. To add to the discussion, hospitals can make financial gains by claiming Covid19 on death certificates and can make even more money by the use of ventilators on each of those cases. Why would they do that? Liken it to being a robber and entering a house. All the jewels and valuables are on a cart at the front door waiting to be hauled out, while the socks and underwear are locked up in a safe. What will you take?

Died because of Covid or with covid: Again the NDDOH has been very transparent and have differentiated the two on their website. But as an example someone with a comorbidity can be getting along quite well and then contracts Covid and dies. Without Covid they probably still would have been doing fairly well. So what killed them? Relate this to Jane Doe being in a car crash. She survives the crash but 4 days later dies of a cerebral hemorrhage in the ICU. So technically she "survived" the crash but without the trauma she probably would not have developed a fatal brain bleed. It works the same way with Covid .

As for hospital financial gains: Anyone making an argument that hospitals make more $ by claiming Covid does not understand how hospitals are reimbursed (google DRG for hospital reimbursements). When admitting a patient to hospital a physician does not just list the primary reason for admission, they list their pre-existing conditions as well because they get paid for those. Example: Jane Doe is admitted with pneumonia. She also has Hypertension, diabetes and congestive heart failure. So you can't ignore their other issues while they are hospitalized with pneumonia as they need to be addressed as well. So she will need increased lab work, frequent blood glucose checks, maybe cardiac monitoring etc while she is there which all increase costs that may have nothing specifically to do with her pneumonia. Relate that to taking your car into the shop for new tires. While there the tech notices your brake pads are shot too. So if those are replaced you will get charged for parts and labor on those as well even if you didn't come in for that reason. (hopefully with your permission first though). If they didn't charge for those the business wouldn't stay afloat for long. It works the same way with healthcare.

Regarding putting a patient on a ventilator to make more money: I don't have a concrete answer to whether or not that has happened, but any physician that uses financial gain as their decision to place a patient on a ventilator does not deserve to have a license to practice. Period.

Covid research 2023:

Below just a portion of an article by Stella Paul who has been researching what was really going on behind the scenes during the "pandemic".

"AAPS explains that two Covid emergency acts from the government created this catastrophic loss of life. The CARES Act, a $2 trillion stimulus package, was passed in 2020, purportedly to ease the financial impact of Covid on American families. It provided gigantic bonuses to hospitals to institute federal protocols on Covid, ensuring that Covid would be massively diagnosed and treated with deadly combinations of remdesivir, ventilators, and other lethal methods.

Now that this top-down death protocol was bought and paid for, the government made sure that patients and their families were helpless to fight against it. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) granted waivers to hospitals allowing them to remove critical patient rights. Your ability to give informed consent, receive visitors, and be free from solitary confinement – gone! Vanished, obliterated with a single magical government “waiver.”
These actions destroyed the ability of doctors to make independent judgements based on their patients’ needs and turned highly trained medical staff into killer robots obeying the federal government’s commands. If you want to understand the enormity of the government money gusher, here’s AAPS on what the hospital payments included:

A “free” required PCR test in the Emergency Room or upon admission for every patient, with government-paid fee to hospital.
Added bonus payment for each positive COVID-19 diagnosis.
Another bonus for a COVID-19 admission to the hospital.
A 20 percent “boost” bonus payment from Medicare on the entire hospital bill for use of remdesivir instead of medicines such as Ivermectin.
Another and larger bonus payment to the hospital if a COVID-19 patient is mechanically ventilated.
More money to the hospital if cause of death is listed as COVID-19, even if patient did not die directly of COVID-19.
A COVID-19 diagnosis also provides extra payments to coroners.
Hundreds of thousands of Americans may have died due to these protocols, and we urgently need an investigation into this butchery. Who designed this protocol, which forbade safe drugs like ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, and incentivized known toxins like remdesivir? Who enforced it? Were hospital administrators personally rewarded for their participation in this scheme? Were patients illegally deprived of their constitutional rights and defrauded with phony medical information? Why were patients denied nutrition and water? How was hospital staff forced to comply? Where’s the money trail? Who signed off on it?

Understanding what happened in the hospitals is a crucial piece of solving the Covid puzzle. A vast ecosystem of confusion, manipulation, and artificially induced panic was created by the government and their media lackeys to stampede the public into welcoming soul-crushing lockdowns and dangerous experimental injections. Hospitals were shut down for elective surgeries, depriving them of their usual income and making them more desperate for government payouts. Covid patients were forced into nursing homes, immediately killing thousands of frail victims and terrifying the public with the skyrocketing death count. Safe, widely used drugs like hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin were demonized, and studies were fabricated to lie about their effectiveness. Doctors and scientists who tried to speak the truth were fired, investigated, and censored. Why?"
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things