Season Suspension

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Season Suspension

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:07 pm

I can't say that I was surprised with the decision to suspend winter sports because of the way the case numbers look. However, I was surprised the suspension came from the governor and for the length of time it was. Anyone have any ideas on how they see this playing out? Is there any chance the athletes get a season?
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Re: Season Suspension

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:37 pm

I am about 99% sure the COVID situation will be worse in a month, but I still think winter sports start back up on December 14th. There will be too much pressure to bring back sports.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:43 pm

I see winter sports starting back up on Dec. 14th and following the guidelines the NDHSAA put in at the end of the fall season as far as number of spectators, etc..... The only sport I see as being a potential "super spreader" is wrestling. Every weekend they have tournaments that involve anywhere from 7 - 12 schools. I don't think it will be the wrestlers that spread it, but the fans that insist on going every weekend. (I hope I'm right about the winter season and wrong about wrestling.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby birthday » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:13 pm

When sports can start again on the 14th they still need 9 practices before they can play a game so most teams won’t play till after Xmas, and class a canceled all tournaments in wrestling but class b has not yet.
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:24 pm

birthday wrote:When sports can start again on the 14th they still need 9 practices before they can play a game so most teams won’t play till after Xmas, and class a canceled all tournaments in wrestling but class b has not yet.

Wrestling will likely just end up being duals...no idea how State will work (if we get there).

Basketball & Hockey have a chance as they were done all summer long with very little issue.

Hate seeing our state's youth continually being punished for the actions of others in this state...time for us to do our part to get our youth their lives back.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:29 pm

birthday wrote:When sports can start again on the 14th they still need 9 practices before they can play a game so most teams won’t play till after Xmas, and class a canceled all tournaments in wrestling but class b has not yet.

There won't be any basketball games before Christmas. Some teams will play their first game in December, but most first games will take place in 2021.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Wrestling will likely just end up being duals...no idea how State will work (if we get there).

Basketball & Hockey have a chance as they were done all summer long with very little issue.

Hate seeing our state's youth continually being punished for the actions of others in this state...time for us to do our part to get our youth their lives back.

I couldn't agree more Run. I saw a high school coach on Twitter this weekend post something to the effect of "I will make sure to tell my senior athletes that they lost their season for your personal freedoms and not wanting to have your glasses fog up." I really feel now like at so many other times in life....if we adults would learn from the kids and not be the childish ones things would be better. Our kids in school have been really good for the most part about wearing the masks and doing all of the things we are asking them to do because they want sports, they want to be in school, and they want to be around their friends. All of that is going to be taken from them now not because of their actions but because cases are out of control (worse than they have ever been!) and we adults refuse to act responsibly. If you really still need a reason my last ditch effort is do it for the kids!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am

Sportsrube wrote:I see winter sports starting back up on Dec. 14th and following the guidelines the NDHSAA put in at the end of the fall season as far as number of spectators, etc..... The only sport I see as being a potential "super spreader" is wrestling. Every weekend they have tournaments that involve anywhere from 7 - 12 schools. I don't think it will be the wrestlers that spread it, but the fans that insist on going every weekend. (I hope I'm right about the winter season and wrong about wrestling.)

I would gladly give up fans for the season in a second if I thought it meant that our athletes got a chance at a season. I worry this isn't going to an opinion shared by others and it will turn into another fierce debate. Not having fans should be a sacrifice we are all willing to make if it means our athletes get to play. I hope others see it that way.
Last edited by defensewinsgames on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am

Class B basketball a district schedule only play each team twice, or a region schedule play everyone once. Regions will look like volleyball with home courts being used. I also think no games will be played until January. No fans at all I'm guessing until Regionals if cases look better.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:14 am

defensewinsgames wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I see winter sports starting back up on Dec. 14th and following the guidelines the NDHSAA put in at the end of the fall season as far as number of spectators, etc..... The only sport I see as being a potential "super spreader" is wrestling. Every weekend they have tournaments that involve anywhere from 7 - 12 schools. I don't think it will be the wrestlers that spread it, but the fans that insist on going every weekend. (I hope I'm right about the winter season and wrong about wrestling.)

I would gladly give up fans for the season in a second if I thought it meant that our athletes got a chance at a season. I worry this isn't going to an opinion shared by others but it will turn into another fierce debate. Not having fans should be a sacrifice we are all willing to make if it means our athletes get to play. I hope others see it that way.

Parents say this until they start doing no fans and then complain they don't get to go. Even with no fans parents were still traveling with teams and finding ways to watch in person, it was bound to happen in basketball although that is admittedly more controlled.

Someone does have the NDHSAA's ear as Fargo schools weren't allowing fans, yet when playoffs started they forced them to have fans since it was an NDHSAA sponsored event, that seemed strange.

My wager is sports are the low hanging fruit, suspending the season doesnt cost anyone their livelihood, its serious enough people have taken notice and are upset. Yet some are just mad and want sports back while I think most rationale people are where we are at, we all need to do better not just complain that they shut them down. Reason it came from the governor was the same as it happened in spring. They(NDHSAA) werent going to cancel until they got calls from higher up, they at least can blame it on the Gov now and not take the brunt of it.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:17 am

The other thing that I don't know if NDHSAA has the number or the Gov or who but how many volleyball teams we quarantined? I know football its pretty high profile when a game isn't played friday and makes the news. But I personally know of several VB teams who were quarantined and never saw it anywhere publicly, but I dont know if that is a number anyone in authority even tracked. May give you an idea of how basketball will go...
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:27 am

NDPREP wrote:The other thing that I don't know if NDHSAA has the number or the Gov or who but how many volleyball teams we quarantined? I know football its pretty high profile when a game isn't played friday and makes the news. But I personally know of several VB teams who were quarantined and never saw it anywhere publicly, but I dont know if that is a number anyone in authority even tracked. May give you an idea of how basketball will go...

Teams were not quarantined after the new mask change and if they had to that was their own fault for not wearing masks.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:28 am

NDPREP wrote:The other thing that I don't know if NDHSAA has the number or the Gov or who but how many volleyball teams we quarantined? I know football its pretty high profile when a game isn't played friday and makes the news. But I personally know of several VB teams who were quarantined and never saw it anywhere publicly, but I dont know if that is a number anyone in authority even tracked. May give you an idea of how basketball will go...

Rolette, Rolla, Garrison, MLS all forfeited postseason matches because of quarantine; Surrey, Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Larimore, St. John all cancelled seasons before postseason.

Region 4 schools all had cases and quarantines...and a few from other regions as well. Several Class A schools also had quarantines - Shanley (twice), Wahpeton (twice; essentially forfeited Region play-in), Devils Lake, Fargo South, Legacy, etc. (honestly just trying to remember all the teams I had to reschedule games for..it was a long list).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:28 am

This is not going to make things better. Now, instead of the kids going to practice in a controlled environment wearing masks, maintaining space during breaks, etc. they're going to have nothing to for those 2-3 hours after school. Are they now assuming that these middle school and high school age kids aren't going to get together after school and hang out? After wearing their mask all day in school, I don't see a group of high schoolers doing any of this. This is so inconsistent and frustrating. The kids will wear masks during practice if it means they can play. They don't like it and coaches don't either, but if it means they can play then that's going to be what they do.

As far as the fans go, I don't think it should be that difficult for whoever is doing radio to create a YouTube channel and hit the button that says "Live" and have someone film for them. Some places like Your Live Event around the Region 2 area have a legitimate setup, but to at least give people a chance to watch, you could do Facebook Live, YouTube Live, or Periscope for free and give your fans a way to see the game. The paid subscription that certain schools do isn't my favorite because there is no commentary. Your Live Event is great and should be something every other region starts to look into doing.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 am

NDPREP wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:

I would gladly give up fans for the season in a second if I thought it meant that our athletes got a chance at a season. I worry this isn't going to an opinion shared by others but it will turn into another fierce debate. Not having fans should be a sacrifice we are all willing to make if it means our athletes get to play. I hope others see it that way.

Parents say this until they start doing no fans and then complain they don't get to go. Even with no fans parents were still traveling with teams and finding ways to watch in person, it was bound to happen in basketball although that is admittedly more controlled.

This is my concern...I remember this summer when everyone I talked to was just fine with whatever restrictions a school had in place for viewers because they just wanted their kids to be able to play. Fatigue has set in and I don't hear that much anymore. Now it is complaining about fan restrictions, schedule changes, and any health/safety guidelines. Sports are about the kids and opportunities for them to grow, learn, compete, and be active; not about parents and fans! This was a problem way before the pandemic and will continue to be way after but to me it has become even more pronounced now. Selfish people stick out more in a time where empathy and care for others is required. Like someone else said, most schools now have some form of option for you to view the game online. Is it ideal? No; but if it gets our athletes a season it is going to have to be something we all embrace. I think it is worth pointing out that masks, social distancing, cleaning procedures at school mean nothing if it is a free for all at home. Schools can't keep your kids safe at home. I have seen way more close contact and quarantining for household and social circles than inside the schools.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 am

BasketballMind wrote:As far as the fans go, I don't think it should be that difficult for whoever is doing radio to create a YouTube channel and hit the button that says "Live" and have someone film for them. Some places like Your Live Event around the Region 2 area have a legitimate setup, but to at least give people a chance to watch, you could do Facebook Live, YouTube Live, or Periscope for free and give your fans a way to see the game. The paid subscription that certain schools do isn't my favorite because there is no commentary. Your Live Event is great and should be something every other region starts to look into doing.

Most schools were doing this for volleyball...there were 14 Region VB matches on Saturday and I was able to view all of them. I guarantee you more schools would start these up in the winter for basketball & hockey if fans weren't allowed (and I doubt they will be once the seasons begin).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:45 am

Schools out west have been using NFHS for webcasting events for a few years. Most of the ones that use this have a system that runs itself, multiple cameras and the system is trained to follow the action. The only downside with NFHS is that it requires a subscription.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Flip wrote:I am about 99% sure the COVID situation will be worse in a month, but I still think winter sports start back up on December 14th. There will be too much pressure to bring back sports.

Or that fact this will prove that sports are not the problem :shock:
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:06 pm

packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:I am about 99% sure the COVID situation will be worse in a month, but I still think winter sports start back up on December 14th. There will be too much pressure to bring back sports.

The actual playing of the sports really isn't the problem, but its low hanging fruit, no one loses a job over a suspension of it. Everything that goes along with it though is the problem, across state travel, towns mingling with towns they really wouldnt otherwise. It is an easy way to lessen the movement of people by doing this.

I fully anticipate it starts back up and they be very strict on the guidelines, masks since it is indoors, no fans, etc...
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm

NDPREP wrote:
packers21 wrote:

The actual playing of the sports really isn't the problem, but its low hanging fruit, no one loses a job over a suspension of it. Everything that goes along with it though is the problem, across state travel, towns mingling with towns they really wouldnt otherwise. It is an easy way to lessen the movement of people by doing this.

I fully anticipate it starts back up and they be very strict on the guidelines, masks since it is indoors, no fans, etc...

Then don’t suspend them, use more strict guidelines if you want. The term low hanging fruits here makes me upset. It’s not low hanging fruits it’s the mental well-being of the next generation, who has done everything we have asked from them and now bc we had adults cannot handle our sh*t they have to suffer again. Good luck explaining that to them.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:55 pm

As far as sports go, I don't think the players and coaches are the biggest worry. Fans and parents who bring Covid into the school are the big worry. I would be OK with letting the kids play without fans (coaches dream!) but I know there will be those parents who say "You can't deny me the right to watch my All Star play". I love the "I know my rights" crowd. Most of them need to take a basic Civics class and learn the difference between rights and privileges.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Feel bad for the kids and parents that have invested a great deal of time and resources in their student/athletes competing in sports/extra-curricular activities. I feel that if the kids don't play, they are more likely to engage in gathering activities that will make them more likely to catch and spread the virus. I would like to see the State allow kids to play asap and limit the fans. Even if this means that parents can not attend right away. Postponing/delaying until 12/14 and having games start in January is not the answer or at least the answer that makes me happy. Limit fans, parents from attending until January and allow the games to continue is what I would like to see. Re-evaluate in January but keep the games going if at all possible.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Sportsrube wrote:As far as sports go, I don't think the players and coaches are the biggest worry. Fans and parents who bring Covid into the school are the big worry. I would be OK with letting the kids play without fans (coaches dream!) but I know there will be those parents who say "You can't deny me the right to watch my All Star play". I love the "I know my rights" crowd. Most of them need to take a basic Civics class and learn the difference between rights and privileges.

Officials Dream as well...perfect year to get a new crop of officials started.

If parents want their kids to play they’ll have be ok with watching online cause otherwise there will be nothing
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby north1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 pm

With everyone wearing masks now this will be well under control in a month. Just hope there is enough time to get everything and everyone up to speed.
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 pm

I've read a lot of, "I'm ok with them limiting attendance..." Have there been schools that haven't been limiting attendance?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Basketball - Class B