Coaching Openings

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Coaching Openings

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:32 am

ProV1X wrote:I heard Northern Cass girls BB Coach Kelli Trudeau is not returning. Also there was talk of HCV getting Kyle Morehart back as head coach.

Anybody hear this or can confirm?

This has been known for a while. Hillsboro Banner had an article on it back in June.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDPREP » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:37 am

defensewinsgames wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I do not see the point of this, as a coach at any level I would want to be meeting with my athletes as soon as possible. At the HS level I would want to be talking about off season workouts, weight training, team camps, etc.... I think you are really putting your head coach at a large disadvantage by waiting until the last minute to hire them.

I totally agree. It is all a dollars and cents issue with schools trying to save money. I understand why they are doing it but like you said I think it does a huge disservice to the impacted coaches and athletes. Hard to build a program or prepare when you find out a week before you are the coach. Even if it is just being done at the lower levels, it severely limits coaches prepping and having important discussions around philosophy and what to run with varsity coaches leading their program. But like we keep hearing again and again though....unprecedented times.

Definitely different town to town most of the guys I know that lost their spring season didn't get paid, school said no season no pay you didn't complete your duties
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:56 pm

NDPREP wrote:Definitely different town to town most of the guys I know that lost their spring season didn't get paid, school said no season no pay you didn't complete your duties

Interesting...I had heard rumors of this but didn't have first hand knowledge if it had happened or not. If they had signed contracts that pay should have fallen under expected income and since it wasn't a failure on the part of an employee to fulfill the contract but rather an employer decision to cancel, I think that probably violated labor law or came dang close to violating it. If you didn't have a signed contract it isn't a violation because it wasn't guaranteed income. I'm not a labor lawyer but that is my understanding based on what I had heard from people in the know. I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to like that idea because "they didn't work, why should they get paid?" Most schools I had assumed would pay it to avoid that, plus it is hard enough to fill coaching jobs. I get the reasoning behind both the paying and not paying case but it wasn't like it was a coach's decision to not coach so why they should lose that income bothers me a little, especially since it isn't like they could file unemployment on it....
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:17 pm

I can only speak for my school, but last spring coaches were paid in full. Fall contracts read coaches are paid on a pro rated basis. If your season is cut in half, you get half your pay. Seems fair.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:56 pm

At our school, our spring coaches were paid their full salary because they had a signed contract and it wasn't their choice to not have a season. Also, in small schools it is getting harder and harder to find coaches at all levels due to some parents, the village idiots and the kids with a huge sense of self-entitlement. Our Board was smart enough to realize that if they wanted to keep good coaches they had to honor the contracts.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDPREP » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 am

I don't know their exact wording BUT I know coaches had bailed mid season in the past and were paid in full I am guessing after that there is some kind of pro rated wording. Just know they were paid 0. Doubt any of them fought it, definitely would have required a lawyer with the schools they were dealing with.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:49 am

I had not heard of any school not honoring their contracts, if you work/coach at a school that didn't honor one. Might be time to start looking someplace else.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:33 pm

ProV1X wrote:I heard Northern Cass girls BB Coach Kelli Trudeau is not returning. Also there was talk of HCV getting Kyle Morehart back as head coach.

This is true about Northern Cass. Just happened last week.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:22 pm

bingobangobongo wrote:

I have to ask, what happened?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bingobangobongo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 am

Flip wrote:
bingobangobongo wrote:

I have to ask, what happened?

She just had her 2nd kid, so my guess is she wants to be able to spend more time with her family.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:18 pm

GBB team in Hankinson has a new coach. Former player Carter Mauch is taking over the GBB program. They will be very young, but I guarantee that they will have a stronger work ethic than the last few years.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls