2020 Lions All-Star Basketball Series Rosters

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2020 Lions All-Star Basketball Series Rosters

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:08 pm

BOYS
CLASS A
Brady Dvorak, GF Red River
Grant Nelson, Devils Lake
Cameron Van Dam, Fargo Davies
Cayden Rickard, Fargo North
Blake Berg, WF Sheyenne
Tyler Terhark, WF Sheyenne
Jaxon Gunville, Minot
Jaiden Wright, Dickinson
Kobe Krenz, Dickinson
Boden Skunberg, Jamestown
Elijah Klein, Mandan
Will Olson, Williston

Alternates
Talon Hoffer, Shanley
Grayson Haman, Fargo Davies
Hunter Lyman, West Fargo
Matt Miller, West Fargo
Zion Dettmann, WF Sheyenne
Jaxton Weist, Mandan
Jaxon Wiseman, Bismarck St. Mary's

CLASS B
Cole Myers, Richland
Andy Freier, Kindred
Carson Henningsgard, Hillsboro-Central Valley
Seth Nelson, Carrington
Doug Yankton, Jr., Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Treajan Azure, Dunseith
Jaden Mitzel, Shiloh Christian
Trace Goven, Rugby
Jaden Hamilton, Rugby
Devan Michels, Rugby
Jonah Larson, Beulah
Rhett Hanson, Stanley

Alternates
Carter Lingen, Richland
Gavin Reiland, Richland
Connor Jensen, Northern Cass
Tyler Loe, Dakota Prairie
Gage Swanson, Beach
Garrett Ward, Hazen
Hayden Andres, North Shore-Plaza

GIRLS
CLASS A
Jes Mertens, Devils Lake
Abby Johnson, Devils Lake
Reile Payne, Shanley
McKenna Becher, West Fargo
Jordyn Kahler, Wahpeton
Shelby Frank, GF Red River
MacKenzie Boone, Legacy
Alexis Dressler, Legacy
Maria Mann, Bismarck St. Mary's
Abigail Kopp, Bismarck St. Mary's
Lakyn Darras, Mandan
Allie Nelson, Minot

Alternates
Jennie Sem, Fargo North
Maria Moore, Bismarck
Hallie Schweitzer, Mandan
Audrey Rodakowski, Dickinson
Cadee Ryckman, Bismarck

CLASS B
Kaia Sorby, Thompson
Ellie Holen, LaMoure-LM
Megan Moser, Medna/Pingree-Buchanan
Latasha Bellile, Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Callie Ronningen, Langdon/Edmore/Munich
Kaitlyn Scherr, Langdon/Edmore/Munich
Coral Alt, Flasher
Leah Feland, Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood
Hailey Roberts, Our Redeemer's
Samantha Oech, Beach
Kaity Hove, Trenton
Daysha Serdahl, Mandaree

Alternates
Morgan Niemiller, Oak Grove
Jordyn Burner, Kindred
Gillian Brouillard, Park River-FL
Abby Magnuson, Hillsboro-Central Valley
Brittany Rath, Kidder County
Camryn Alt, Flasher
Jaidyn Brummond, TGU
Taylor Dean, Stanley
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2020 Lions All-Star Basketball Series Rosters

Postby packers21 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:26 pm

I think Rugby needs some more representation.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:22 pm

packers21 wrote:I think Rugby needs some more representation.

Agreed!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Is it because they got 3 players named from a senior-laden team? Richland also has 3 players honored.

Alternates will dress one of the nights (if from the east...likely the night in Fargo; vice versa for west players).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Is it because they got 3 players named from a senior-laden team? Richland also has 3 players honored.

Alternates will dress one of the nights (if from the east...likely the night in Fargo; vice versa for west players).

I’m very surprised they get 3. Also look at the Region 7 Senior of the year not on the team and I’m very surprised. Then I look at the coaches and who would be on the committee and it makes sense.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:36 pm

packers21 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I’m very surprised they get 3. Also look at the Region 7 Senior of the year not on the team and I’m very surprised. Then I look at the coaches and who would be on the committee and it makes sense.

It's always interesting to see who chooses football or basketball (Volleyball & Basketball for the girls).

Swanson is listed as alternate (R7 Senior Athlete)...so technically on the team...but he (and 4 others: 3 Richland & 1 Rugby) is also listed on the Shrine Bowl roster...you have to choose between FB & BB.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:51 pm

Gage Swanson is one of the twelve best class B seniors that play basketball. If the athlete is good enough to be selected for both teams then they should be selected for both teams and let the athlete make the choice.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:59 pm

The Schwab wrote:Gage Swanson is one of the twelve best class B seniors that play basketball. If the athlete is good enough to be selected for both teams then they should be selected for both teams and let the athlete make the choice.

Could the decision have been made already and that's why he is being listed as an alternate? (I don't know...that's why I'm asking).

I know the Shrine Bowl rosters were out well before the Lions Rosters.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:07 pm

In this case, no it is not what happened.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 pm

The Schwab wrote:In this case, no it is not what happened.

That's unfortunate. Especially being an All-State player.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 am

A few thoughts:
1) 48 players picked and 27 alternates - 27!? What is the purpose of having 27 alternates? I know Run said that alternates dress one of the nights. When did that start to happen? Are they just on the bench - not allowed to play? Back in the day each team had 2 or 3 alternates - in case of an injury, suspension, etc. I'd like to hear the rational on having so many....
2) Has there every been 3 kids from one team on the lions team? If so I don't recall. Please don't take this as me slamming the kids from Rugby - they were a very very good team this year. Did they have 3 of the best 12 class b seniors in the state on their team? That's open for debate.
3) How exactly is this team picked? Do coaches nominate players followed by discussion - AKA fighting/debating who should be on vs. not? Who has the final say? I've always wondered....

Just as all-state, there are deserving kids left off every year, maybe at no fault of anyone. Looking forward to some clarity on my questions - THANKS in advance.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:18 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:A few thoughts:
1) 48 players picked and 27 alternates - 27!? What is the purpose of having 27 alternates? I know Run said that alternates dress one of the nights. When did that start to happen? Are they just on the bench - not allowed to play? Back in the day each team had 2 or 3 alternates - in case of an injury, suspension, etc. I'd like to hear the rational on having so many....
2) Has there every been 3 kids from one team on the lions team? If so I don't recall. Please don't take this as me slamming the kids from Rugby - they were a very very good team this year. Did they have 3 of the best 12 class b seniors in the state on their team? That's open for debate.
3) How exactly is this team picked? Do coaches nominate players followed by discussion - AKA fighting/debating who should be on vs. not? Who has the final say? I've always wondered....

Just as all-state, there are deserving kids left off every year, maybe at no fault of anyone. Looking forward to some clarity on my questions - THANKS in advance.

Agree with your post. Congrats to the athletes selected. However, a class b team with 3 Lion's caliber players on it should have been undefeated and really shouldn't have had any close games. Not slamming the kids either, think it's great, just hard to figure out.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:A few thoughts:

1. I have found that alternates were on the team back into the early 2000s (not as many but there were alternates).

2. There have been two from a school on several occasions in the past few years...I'm not sure in its 43 year history (started in 1977)...I'll do some more research tonight.

3. Nomination process starts at season's end (written form as I remember seeing in 2017); State Tournament coaches are the ones voting on the Team and the vote usually occurs the Friday AM of State Tournament weekend (who knows when it was done this year); Schwab may be able to answer this more in-depth

Football/Basketball (Volleyball/Basketball) players have to decide so you also have to look at those rosters as well. I know Belquist, Carrier, Myers, Lingen, Reiland, Swanson and Michels (11-man) are all on the Shrine Roster.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Have remembered alternates all the way back to 1980, but as Flying Wallenda said, was normally only 2 or 3. There have been teams with multiple players nominated, but can't remember 3 seniors at the same time. North Star had 5 on one team and 3 on another, but weren't all seniors at the same time.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Cannot believe we haven't heard from our Cavalier correspondent on this yet.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:46 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Cannot believe we haven't heard from our Cavalier correspondent on this yet.

He made the Shrine Bowl roster and since you can only play in one...I'd assume he'd be playing in the one that he's playing in college.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:31 pm

2019 - Girls: Rugby had 3 girls

2015 - Boys: Rugby had 3 boys (1 alternate)
2015 - Girls: Bishop Ryan would have had 3 (https://www.minotdailynews.com/sports/s ... star-game/)

This is what I could find back to 2002...25 more years of info that I can't find online right now.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:29 pm

I know that some regions talk about lions at their regional meeting. Some rank the top 5 seniors in their region and send that list with the representative, I believe it is the defending regional champion coach who represents the region and it is on Friday of the state tournament. I don’t know how ties are handled or who has the final say.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Have remembered alternates all the way back to 1980, but as Flying Wallenda said, was normally only 2 or 3. There have been teams with multiple players nominated, but can't remember 3 seniors at the same time. North Star had 5 on one team and 3 on another, but weren't all seniors at the same time.

Wouldn't they all have had to be seniors to be selected?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:2019 - Girls: Rugby had 3 girls

2015 - Girls: Bishop Ryan would have had 3 (https://www.minotdailynews.com/sports/s ... star-game/)

This is what I could find back to 2002...25 more years of info that I can't find online right now.

Rugby must have had a pretty good rep in the past 5 years.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:13 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:2019 - Girls: Rugby had 3 girls

Rugby must have had a pretty good rep in the past 5 years.

ADD:
2011 - Girls: Beach had 3 girls (1 alternate)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:24 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Have remembered alternates all the way back to 1980, but as Flying Wallenda said, was normally only 2 or 3. There have been teams with multiple players nominated, but can't remember 3 seniors at the same time. North Star had 5 on one team and 3 on another, but weren't all seniors at the same time.

Wouldn't they all have had to be seniors to be selected?

His point was over time North Star has had that many elected to the team...over different seasons.

Jayden Komrosky made the team in 2017
Christian Kvilvang & Alex Weston (alt) made the team in 2015
Jake Hagler & Daniel Grande made the team in 2013
Grant Lindahl made the team in 2011
I don't have data back this far right now but one would assume:
Evan Lindahl made the team back in 2001 for Cando

Stephanie Miller made the team in 2018
Peyton Halverson & Macey Kvilvang made the team in 2017
Allie Heisler made the team in 2014
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Basketball - Class B