REGION 3

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: REGION 3

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:17 am

I read some of the comments on in the All State thread about Schumacher from Linton. So I took a look at their roster. Were they short kids? 14 kids listed on their varsity with 4 8th graders. Four 8th graders on a boys varsity is unusual.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:45 am

Flip wrote:I read some of the comments on in the All State thread about Schumacher from Linton. So I took a look at their roster. Were they short kids? 14 kids listed on their varsity with 4 8th graders. Four 8th graders on a boys varsity is unusual.

Looked like they had 17 in the picture, Im guessing they are low on numbers.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:41 pm

It looks like Linton-HMB is in a situation where not only the numbers are dropping, but also there are more girls than boys in junior high and high school. You also have to take into account that Linton-HMB also has a wrestling program, and somewhere down the road, they may find it unsustainable to have both winter programs for boys. I heard they have some good boys teams coming up in the grade school, but that doesn’t tell me if the numbers will improve. Sports, especially basketball, have become a year-round commitment in successful programs, and maybe kids feel they don’t want to put in the time and commitment it requires to be part of the program. There is no such thing as playing basketball from November to March anymore, so if you are in a situation where you are just a body to fill the roster, you probably aren’t going to participate in high school.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:03 pm

What do S-Z numbers look like? Is this a coop that might happen in the future or is it too much or a rivalry to ever happen?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Being too much of a rivalry is absolutely no excuse in my opinion. You have to face reality, and the reality is this. There was a time when the winners of the games between Linton-HMB and S-Z meant a trip to the State Tournament, but the meetings in the past three years (all won by LHMB) have amounted to nothing more than who is king of Emmons County. The real rivalry between Linton and Strasburg is imbedded in a time when Emmons Central was open (1966-85), and a quarter of its classes were made up of kids from Linton. S-Z and LHMB both had some talent over the past couple of years, and even though they haven’t got past the first round of the region, together, they would have been a favorite for the region title. However, no co-op will ever develop until one of the two teams feels they cannot beat the other any more, or one of the two teams absolutely can’t field a team on its own. They co-op for 5th-6th grade football, but although S-Z only has 15-16 players on its varsity football team, there has never been any mention of a co-op with Linton. There has been talk of S-Z combing with S.D. teams, however, but nothing serious.
The excuses I hear are that they would have to move up to Class A if they co-oped in FB. So what? Linton played 11-Man for many seasons in the past, and if they could get more kids to sustain it, they would absolutely go up to Class A, no doubt in my mind. Zeeland is 33 miles from Linton, but Zeeland could co-op with South Border, since it is in McIntosh County (with Ashley and Wishek) anyway, if they feel the co-op would be too far.
Another dire situation would be what to call the co-op, and what colors to use. Once again, who cares? I don’t like co-op names like Midkota, South Border, North Border (no offense), because I feel schools in the co-op lose some kind of identity. However, there is nothing wrong with Bowman County, Nelson County, Kidder County and EMMONS COUNTY. Somewhere down the road, Emmons County will have to consolidate into one school (let’s face it, they are losing kids every year). What then? What will the excuses be? When Linton and HMB (which was as big a rivalry as Strasburg and Linton) combined, everyone was skeptical, but it gave HMB (which would not had enough players) a chance to compete, and also gave Linton the pieces it needed to go to State in 2011, 2012 and 2014. No one is against that co-op anymore.
Linton-HMB and Strasburg-Zeeland will have some talent over the next few years, but it may not be enough because of the lack of numbers. I think it would be beneficial for the teams to co-op, but I also think the chances of that happening over the next five years are almost zero—especially for basketball.
This is
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Wir werden unsere Kräfte niemals mit anderen Menschen verbinden! wir sind alleine stark und werden weiter kämpfen! Es lebe das Mutterland, es lebe Strasburg und Zeeland. Wir hassen Linton!
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 pm

The excuses I hear are that they would have to move up to Class A if they co-oped in FB. So what? Linton played 11-Man for many seasons in the past, and if they could get more kids to sustain it, they would absolutely go up to Class A, no doubt in my mind. Zeeland is 33 miles from Linton, but Zeeland could co-op with South Border, since it is in McIntosh County (with Ashley and Wishek) anyway, if they feel the co-op would be too far.

and I suppose 48 to Hazleton?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Yes, it would be 48 miles from Zeeland to Hazelton, but I am thinking Linton would be the central location, which is 15 miles from Hazelton, 10 miles from Strasburg and 33 miles from Zeeland. Actually, Wishek is closer to Linton than Zeeland is.

For Heimer, you are at least 25 years too late if you expect someone from the Strasburg or Linton area to translate that.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:18 pm

Wilbur wrote:Yes, it would be 48 miles from Zeeland to Hazelton, but I am thinking Linton would be the central location, which is 15 miles from Hazelton, 10 miles from Strasburg and 33 miles from Zeeland. Actually, Wishek is closer to Linton than Zeeland is.

I would bet they would still have some practices in Hazelton.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:28 am

Flip, yes they would simply because HMB has the newest and biggest gym in the co-op. Linton, Strasburg and Zeeland all use their gyms but the seating capacity in the latter two may deter against their argument to host games. I think that if there ever is a co-op between the Emmons County schools, Zeeland would co-op with South Border. Wishek is about 40-45 miles from Zeeland but they already have a co-op in wrestling.

By the way, Heimer, I know what you said above and although it may be accurate, it wasn't very nice.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 am

Zeeland co-oped with Wishek for FB in the past and with Ashley for VB, GBB & BBB in the past and they burnt a lot of bridges when they dissolved those co-ops. I seriously doubt South Border would be willing to add them to their current co-op, especially when it would not add very many kids to their sports programs. South Border does include Zeeland in their wrestling co-op but I have no idea how many kids from Zeeland wrestle. Stranger things have happened but I just don't think this would happen for a long, long time.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 am

I don't want to quote the post to add more length to this data. Not to try to take away from the Region 3 discussion but I have no problem with co-op names being by the county they are in if all of the schools in the county are in that co-op. For at least one of the co-op examples you have listed that is not the case, and it causes a lot of bad blood.

As far as Linton and Strasburg ever forming a co-op, I would say it's more realistic than it ever has been. If you'd have asked me 5 years ago I would have said there was no chance.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:29 am

Here are the numbers for the 2018-19 school year. Zeeland (not in Emmons County) has 28 students (K-12), including 9 in high school.

Linton: 251 (K-12); 86 (9-12)
H-M-B: 120 (K-12); 54 (9-12)
Strasburg/Bakker: 137 (K-12); 42 (9-12)

Total Emmons County Enrollment (K-12): 508 (9-12): 182. That is 39 students per class overall, and 45.5 students per class in 9-12. In other words, the schools are getting smaller, and will continue to get smaller.

Linton once had almost double the current total enrollment of Emmons County and averaged over 60 students per class. If the situation ever arises for the argument to house the entire student body of Emmons County in one building, Linton would have a strong case to be that location.

As for Schwab’s assessment of a co-op in five years. I agree it should be done, but if you can translate Heimer’s German quote, it will be a difficult and ugly situation. In case you haven’t noticed, us Germans are stubborn folk, and the Dutch are not much less stubborn, and in some cases, even worse. You have to practically kill us before we give in. The kryptonite, however, is money. As taxes keep rising, it becomes easier to swallow your pride and make that ultimate decision. The process will definitely speed up as the schools lose thousands of dollars in state aid over the next few years, but part of the co-op agreement would have to be for ALL sports, so if it is for football, it would also have to be for everything else. For that reason, I would be surprised if LHMB and SZ co-op in the next 5 years.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:30 am

Wilbur wrote:By the way, Heimer, I know what you said above and although it may be accurate, it wasn't very nice.

Die Wahrheit kann schmerzhaft sein
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:37 pm

heimer wrote:Wir werden unsere Kräfte niemals mit anderen Menschen verbinden! wir sind alleine stark und werden weiter kämpfen! Es lebe das Mutterland, es lebe Strasburg und Zeeland. Wir hassen Linton!

Bring sausage and beer to celebrate the independence.

heimer wrote:
Wilbur wrote:By the way, Heimer, I know what you said above and although it may be accurate, it wasn't very nice.

Die Wahrheit kann schmerzhaft sein

Like a toothache.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby birthday » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:37 pm

I think in football strasburg would go 6-man before co-oping with linton
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:59 pm

Going 6-man for S-Z would be foolish. They worry about travel now. Unless more teams are added, their closest game would be 2 and 3 hours away. Isn't there a probation period? They could compete in the next couple years but the well runs pretty dry after that, both with numbers and talent. I don't see them wanting to play where they don't have an opportunity for a state title.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:33 pm

Wilbur wrote:Going 6-man for S-Z would be foolish. They worry about travel now. Unless more teams are added, their closest game would be 2 and 3 hours away. Isn't there a probation period? They could compete in the next couple years but the well runs pretty dry after that, both with numbers and talent. I don't see them wanting to play where they don't have an opportunity for a state title.

probation period? I don't even think the NDHSAA recognizes a state champion.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:37 pm

I don't know how 6-man league works. Aren't the ND teams with Montana? Regardless, don't think S-Z will do it.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:06 am

Wilbur wrote:I don't know how 6-man league works. Aren't the ND teams with Montana? Regardless, don't think S-Z will do it.

Check out the 6-man tab on this site
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Boys