Greatest upsets of all time

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Greatest upsets of all time

Postby vikingman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:05 am

With the Bison just 2 wins away from the biggest March Madness upset ever, what are some of the BIG upsets in ND Class B? 'Meaningful' games only -- Region and State tourney games.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Re: Greatest upsets of all time

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:08 am

A couple that come to mind from my day are Robinson over Napoleon in 1976 and Linton over Newburg in 1985. Napoleon was 23-0 entering the Region 5 tournament in 1976 and beat Robinson, 64-38 late in the season. However, Robinson beat Napoleon, 59-45, in the opening round and went on to win the region crown.
Linton beat Newburg in the 1984 State championship game but Newburg had four starters back in 1985 while Linton graduated 5 of its top six players. Newburg was unbeaten and ranked number one for all or most of the year. Linton beat Newburg, 72-70, in overtime for the State title. What made it more stunning was that Mr. Basketball finalist Jon Richter (Linton's only returning starter) injured his ankle in a first-round win over Ellendale. He did not play against Karlsruhe in the semi-finals, and was very limited in the championship game.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 am

I think Carrington over North Star in the Region 4 Championship in 2010 was pretty big. Carrington went on to win the title in '10 and North Star came back and won it in 2011. North Star was the BIG favorite to win it all in 2010 as well. After beating Carrington handily during the season lost to them in OT in the finals.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:41 pm

I know this is a girls reference, but wasn't there a girls team from Harvey that advanced to a state tournament with a losing record about 10 or 15 years ago?
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Yes, Harvey Girls went to state in either 2003 or 2004. Thinking 2004. Don't know if they had a losing record but do believe they had double digit losses. Don't know if there were any powerhouse teams they upset in the region, though. I hope this thread stays on track with big upsets. I find it very interesting, especially at the region level. In 1986, Glen Ullin and Page were heavily favored in their region but both were upset in the region finals by Belfield and Oak Grove, respectively. I believe Page was unbeaten to that point.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:01 pm

1996, Oakes girls took first loss of the season to Kindred in regional semi-final.

Kindred then knocked off Verona to go to state.

Kindred got a lot of calls.

Oakes won state next year without much challenge.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:18 pm

2013 Region 7 Final: Dickinson Trinity defeated previously unbeaten Beulah (defending state champs, ranked 2nd in the first 3 polls, then number 1 after that). I don't know how much of an upset it was because Dickinson Trinity was a top 5 team, but still kind of surprising to see the undefeated, defending state champs lose in the region title game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 pm

2010 Region 3 First Round: Defending State Champions and number 6 ranked Linton got beat by LaMoure.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 pm

The way the question is phrased, it would be looking for heavy region favorites knocked off the first round regions by a team that somehow squeaked into regions...

I don't know that any Region championship game on a neutral court could be considered an upset...maybe a better argument that the "true" state championship game was played region final night...

Carrington over Nstar, not an really an "upset", but I will admit I am still upset by that game... :D especially if they back up a big win with three more...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Carrington over Nstar, not an really an "upset", but I will admit I am still upset by that game... :D especially if they back up a big win with three more...

When you beat a team by 25 points during the season and lose to them in the region finals, that IS an upset. LaMoure’s win over Linton in 2010 as stated by The Schwab is a case in point. Linton beat LaMoure by 20 points in their regular-season meeting, and LaMoure took 4th in District 5, while Linton was the defending State champion.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby yellowjacket » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm

1994, Mohall was ranked number 2 in state with only two losses to eventual state champions Minot Ryan. Third meeting never materialized as Mohall was upset by Trenton in first round of regionals.
yellowjacket
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:19 pm

justplayalready wrote:The way the question is phrased, it would be looking for heavy region favorites knocked off the first round regions by a team that somehow squeaked into regions...

I don't know that any Region championship game on a neutral court could be considered an upset...maybe a better argument that the "true" state championship game was played region final night...

Not only did anyone think Carrington had a chance to win that game but I don't think they were favored to win State either. Definitely an upset...

Here's another one: #1 Ranked Carrington Girls (The year after winning the State title) lost a Region semi-final game to Midkota in 2012 . They beat Midkota during the year by almost 30 and were a favorite to repeat as State Champions. Midkota lost in the Regional championship to Lakota.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defense1st » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:24 pm

I realize it was at the state tournament, but Beulah beating Central Cass, Berthold, and North Star in that order I think qualifies for this discussion. One win against an undefeated team at state might not, but going 3-0 against undefeated teams does.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Go back to the 1982 Cando boys' team. Lost in the district final to Rolette, then first round of regionals to Edmore. Undefeated regular season to first round exit.

*edited for accuracy. Thanks to yadot for the correction.
Last edited by defense1st on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 pm

In 2012, the District 16 #4 seed Ray took on District 15 champions New Town in the Region 8 quarterfinals. New Town was defending Region champions and had taken 3rd place in the 2011 state tournament. Ray upset New Town 59-57 in overtime, eventually advancing to the Region 8 championship game where they would miss a buzzer-beater and lose to Divide County in a 2-point game.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby yadot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:29 pm

The year Cando got upset was 1982. Undefeated and ranked #1, lost to Rolette in district championship then Edmore in first round of regionals.
yadot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:13 pm

2014 District 8 semis (in Rolla) vs Rolette defeated 1 seed and No. 9ish in state. Rolette was down by 25 in the second half. Came back to win by 1 point on a Casey Julson shot clock beating three pointer. Was a 4 second difference on shot clock and game clock and some fans stormed the court and there could’ve been a technical called, wasn’t, SJ gets off a desperation shot that missed. I missed the game and haven’t seen video but that’s what I’ve been told happened.

A few weeks prior SJ defeated Rolette by 49 points in Rolette, reason I didn’t attend districts until Monday, SJ almost and probably should’ve lost to Rolla in region qualifier game. I’ve heard of a lot of past Woodchuck heart breaks in Rolla gym during districts when they were a regular host.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:59 pm

In 1979, Linton, making its first appearance at the State Tournament in 13 years, faces defending State champion and top-ranked Larimore in the opening round. Linton jumped out to a 12-point lead early in the second half and had to hold on for a 40-38 win. Linton finished in fourth place and Larimore won the consolation title. I truly believe that if Larimore would have beaten Linton, the Polar Bears would have defended their state crown.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defense1st » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:33 pm

yadot wrote:The year Cando got upset was 1982. Undefeated and ranked #1, lost to Rolette in district championship then Edmore in first round of regionals.

Thank you, I've corrected my post.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby elfman77 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm

one of the first that comes to mind is the 2014 region 4 title game FWM vs North Star, I think FWM was no 1 in the state at that time and I think north star had like 6-7 losses that year and north star won on an alex Weston buzzer beater in 2ot.
elfman77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 pm

elfman77 wrote:one of the first that comes to mind is the 2014 region 4 title game FWM vs North Star, I think FWM was no 1 in the state at that time and I think north star had like 6-7 losses that year and north star won on an alex Weston buzzer beater in 2ot.

Weston had a handful of big shots and buzzer beaters from the right wing and baseline in that game. In 2013 Four Winds beat North Star (Hagler, Grande senior year) in region championship, Weston had 0 points in that game. 2015 Weston didn’t play because of a football injury in playoff game.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:10 pm

defense1st wrote:
yadot wrote:The year Cando got upset was 1982. Undefeated and ranked #1, lost to Rolette in district championship then Edmore in first round of regionals.

Thank you, I've corrected my post.

1982 Cando vs Edmore first round Region 3 game is on YouTube. Definitely worth a watch. Intense game.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:21 pm

2010 North 'Star vs Carrington. Yes, NS won handily in the regular season, but Carrington was ranked #7 in the final poll (2 losses, with 1 to NS), so it wasn't like they didn't have a chance.

2001 -- North Star beat North Border by around 30 at North Border. In the State Championship, NB won by about 8.

2012 -- North Star beat Beulah by about 30 on Beulah's court. In the state championship, Beulah wins by 2. NS fans have had some bitter pills to swallow over the years.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 pm

In 2001, I think Cando was still called Cando.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm

the "Greatest upset" or can I call it, the best thumping I was involved in... :)

Milton-Osnabrock Mustangs 1982-83 season, we were coming off of a 13-7 season with second year coach (and his second year of coaching) Lyle Krueger (Harvey ND and Valley City State Football player) Lyle turned the program around immediately....Krueger took over for Robert (Bob) Torrance, who sorta inherited the job when he moved back home to his home town Milton to farm...Bob had coached the Dvoraks and Minto to a second place finish behind Hillsboro 9 years prior in 1974...his passion for coaching had drifted but he was a great assistant to Krueger.......
Principle, David Monson (Biography City: Osnabrock
Farmer; Retired School Administrator; Retired Insurance Agent/Owner
AA, UND-Williston; BS, UND; MEd, UND
Speaker of the House - 2007-2009; Asst. Majority Leader, 1997-2009; Boards: Pres., Family Mutual Ins. Co.; Pres., Dovre Lutheran Church; North American Industrial Hemp Council; ND Atmospheric Resource Board; NE ND Heritage Assoc.; Past Boards: Prairie Public Broadcasting; Pres., North Central Council of School TV; Pres., Upper Valley Special Education Unit; Pres., Osnabrock School District; Memberships: Past Grand Chancellor, Knights of Pythias - life member; Eagles; ND Pulse Growers; Farm Bureau; Northern Canola Growers; NRA - life member; National Wildlife Federation - life member; Legislator of the year: House since 1993) and Bobs wife, English teacher, Mrs. Torrance, challenged us to beat the Cavalier Tornadoes when they come up to the "ND State Barley Hall" in Osnabrock ND (feb 83') the season had been overall pretty solid with a couple mishaps here and there....the challenge was, if we beat Cavalier, Monson and Torrance (Mrs.) take us to the Stables (Big Barn Restaurant) in Langdon for a Supper!!....game on!! :D

on Thursday night (night before) we played a really scrappy Valley (hoople/crystal) team and won by 6 or so, the Cavalier players were there scouting (Todd Olson was a Freshman, but already 6'4")......next night? Osnabrock, Barley Hall, Cavalier vs Milton-Oz....our press took'm like a storm and we ran'm right back to Cavalier... Mustangs Prevailed by 11 points.....the Supper Night was Awesome the school was buzzing! Cavalier had been Class A just 4 years prior and were pushing 80 students in a class vs 13 to 16 in the little town....ironically, there were only 3 Osnabrock players and they were freshman, their (OZ) numbers had really depleted and the Starting 5 and 1 sub we used were all Milton (meteors) 2 brothers, 2 Cousins, 2 more (played 6, if we went to 7 we were in trouble) ...it was truly the old days (ok not that old.. :)) of Class B...... our goal was the Region tourn in Langdon.....Walhalla, M-Oz, Cavalier were tied (dist points) and after the coin toss we were seeded 3erd in the District tourn and the District tourn was in? Cavalier
opening night, Walhalla beat Neche by 2 points Cavalier won over Pembina by one point and Valley beat St. Thomas in a close game....We beat Drayton by 20.....second night, we played Cavalier and lost by 1 in OT (still haunts me) we ended up 3erd in Dist. same as the year before, with 2 more wins though.......Munich went to State that year from our Region, they beat Lankin in the Championship by 6 points....we had beat Lankin 2 times that year, the first game of the season in Milton and in the Invitational Tourn in Edinburg both times by 3 points, when they interviewed them (they used to find the runner up to a region or 2 at State and talk with them) at State the said "after loosing in the invitational tourn they set off on a Mission) the fowlowing year they co-op'd with Adams and went to State, same year the 3 pointer came into play....although it was shot a bit less than today :wink:

Krueger left town after the next season, and 2 years ago in Minot at State I ran into him for the first time since 1984, we had a good visit, the Milton School is gone and the Gym is a Construction co. Shop
there is a New "Barley Hall" in Oz...but its not a Gym

Ironically my kids are? Cavalier Tornadoes...

sorry for so long of a post...but its hard to make this one brief :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys