2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:16 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:I am not a three class supporter. Make Class A bigger, privates, Big B’s (Beulah, Kindred, Central Cass, Grafton etc) I think you see Four Winds-Minnewaukan and Hillsboro-Cental Valley split up if they have to go Class A. Might see Heart River, Hatton-Northwood split up also if the bigger B’s are up in Class A where they can compete, not year in and year out but they’ll have their opportunities.

This is one of the most naive posts I've read in awhile. Completely disrespectful to class A basketball too to think the random big B school is competing in class A.

edit to add: Hatton and Northwood have a combined 17 seniors this year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:48 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:I am not a three class supporter. Make Class A bigger, privates, Big B’s (Beulah, Kindred, Central Cass, Grafton etc) I think you see Four Winds-Minnewaukan and Hillsboro-Cental Valley split up if they have to go Class A. Might see Heart River, Hatton-Northwood split up also if the bigger B’s are up in Class A where they can compete, not year in and year out but they’ll have their opportunities.

1958 called. Wants its system back.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby woodchuck10 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 pm

heimer wrote:

1958 called. Wants its system back.

1988 sounds better. Seen your opinion on this, no thanks. My Region is fine so I really don’t want to see any change. I see problems in 1, 5, 6, and 7 that is ruining the State tournament. Don’t see a lot of people in the upper bleachers tonight. Was making a comment on attendance and how those schools, that everyone likes to hate, and who are there every year don’t bring the fans that a Powers Lake does after 80 years of not making it.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby airmail » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Fun to see New Rockford, Beulah, Richland, Powers Lake, and Ellendale fans joining in on the Thompson cheers. ;)
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Great win by Thompson. Thompson is definitely Title Town for the 2018-2019 school year! Congrats to Coach George and the Tommies on a great season.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RockNRoll » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 pm

I liked how Shilo kept getting the ball to the big guy. They probably would have won if he had not fouled out, the game changed quickly after he was out. Congrats Thompson!!
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 pm

Whether Young fouled out or not Thompson would've still won. It may not have been by ten more but more like five.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:37 pm

RockNRoll wrote:I liked how Shilo kept getting the ball to the big guy. They probably would have won if he had not fouled out, the game changed quickly after he was out. Congrats Thompson!!

Based on previous posts I think most people will say the same thing, but what was so good about it? He shot poorly, turned it over 5 times, and no one else was involved. You can't even claim he got anyone in foul trouble.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 pm

Give the Thompson coach credit for watching the game the night before...The game plan of not giving any perimeter shots paid off.

Although there was a time in the 4th were the game could have switched, Thompson took a TO after another inside bucket and they did sag on the next two possessions and Bismarck missed the threes. If one of those two go, i think it ends differently. Coach must have thought he caught a break there and went back to one on one on the inside. Looks even better when the post defense held up the next few times...

What was Bismarck's 3 pt numbers>???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wilbur » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 pm

Congatulations to Thompson on winning its First-ever State BBB title. This brings me to a question. How many teams won a Class B boys bb title on their first trip to state, including co-ops? I am sure there are a bunch, especially in the early years but sone that I can remember (since 1976) are North Border in 2001, Minot Ryan in 1994, Central Valley in 1993, Bisbee-Egeland in 1989, Edinburg in 1988, Sargent Central in 1979 and LaMoure in 1976. Not sure about Divide County in 1982, and don't know if Hillsboro/Central Valley counts in 2017. Someone else will have to fill in the rest, because these are just the ones I remember since I started following Class B basketball.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:07 am

Shiloh was 2-15 on 3s.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:17 am

Wilbur wrote:Congatulations to Thompson on winning its First-ever State BBB title. This brings me to a question. How many teams won a Class B boys bb title on their first trip to state, including co-ops? I am sure there are a bunch, especially in the early years but sone that I can remember (since 1976) are North Border in 2001, Minot Ryan in 1994, Central Valley in 1993, Bisbee-Egeland in 1989, Edinburg in 1988, Sargent Central in 1979 and LaMoure in 1976. Not sure about Divide County in 1982, and don't know if Hillsboro/Central Valley counts in 2017. Someone else will have to fill in the rest, because these are just the ones I remember since I started following Class B basketball.

Chase Miller posted this on his twitter tonight...he stated Thompson was 16th team to do so
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby RockNRoll » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:20 am

Flip wrote:
RockNRoll wrote:I liked how Shilo kept getting the ball to the big guy. They probably would have won if he had not fouled out, the game changed quickly after he was out. Congrats Thompson!!

Based on previous posts I think most people will say the same thing, but what was so good about it? He shot poorly, turned it over 5 times, and no one else was involved. You can't even claim he got anyone in foul trouble.

Well flipper, with almost 30 pts n 20 rebs, I would say the offense n defense was better with him on the court and they were winning the whole time while he was he was on the floor. Sums it up don’t you think? I enjoyed watching the game.
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:33 am

RockNRoll wrote: Well flipper, with almost 30 pts n 20 rebs, I would say the offense n defense was better with him on the court and they were winning the whole time while he was he was on the floor. Sums it up don’t you think? I enjoyed watching the game.

25 and 15, so almost 30 and 20 is a stretch. Read my post, I never said they were better with him off the floor and didn't mention defense either. He was their best rebounder and only paint protector so the defense was much worse with him off the floor. I hated the strategy of force feeding him the ball in the post. It was inefficient and easy to guard.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Vikings2009 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:12 am

It was a good game. I thought Shilo had the game until young fouled out. Young should have had free throws end of 4 q, he got hit in the head on the rebound.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vikingman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:15 am

what type of plays can be reviewed on instant replay? -- only buzzer beaters?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:39 am

Flip wrote:
RockNRoll wrote: Well flipper, with almost 30 pts n 20 rebs, I would say the offense n defense was better with him on the court and they were winning the whole time while he was he was on the floor. Sums it up don’t you think? I enjoyed watching the game.

25 and 15, so almost 30 and 20 is a stretch. Read my post, I never said they were better with him off the floor and didn't mention defense either. He was their best rebounder and only paint protector so the defense was much worse with him off the floor. I hated the strategy of force feeding him the ball in the post. It was inefficient and easy to guard.

Feeding him the ball was their offense the entire weekend. I liked it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bisonation6 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Just got to say that whatever Thompson has going here is something special. This group in time has now experienced titles in football, volleyball, basketball, and baseball. Most people never win one state title, yet alone play in a state tournament. Heck, I know of kids who never even experienced playing in the regional tournament for basketball. This title run isn’t something that comes around very often so enjoy it. Likely it never returns to your town/school again in your lifetime.

I also hope ABC continues to win the TV contract. Dom Izzo is fantastic and their coverage is top-notch for being locally produced with all their video montages, graphics, replays, etc. Far better than what you got with NBC.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 am

scc wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:I also hope ABC continues to win the TV contract. Dom Izzo is fantastic and their coverage is top-notch for being locally produced with all their video montages, graphics, replays, etc. Far better than what you got with NBC.

There's no reason to put down NBC coverage. The amount of research they did, features, and the coverage were all good. They just didn't present it in HD, but would have if they kept the contract.

NBC did a much better job than ABC does. I’ll give Izzo credit in that he does do the game well in terms of his calls during action. But you can hear his Minnesota bias all the time. Nobody wants to hear about section 8A or 8AA in Minnesota. NBC knew class B, Fargo and ABC does not and never will.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:09 am

woodchuck10 wrote:
scc wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:I also hope ABC continues to win the TV contract. Dom Izzo is fantastic and their coverage is top-notch for being locally produced with all their video montages, graphics, replays, etc. Far better than what you got with NBC.

There's no reason to put down NBC coverage. The amount of research they did, features, and the coverage were all good. They just didn't present it in HD, but would have if they kept the contract.

NBC did a much better job than ABC does. I’ll give Izzo credit in that he does do the game well in terms of his calls during action. But you can hear his Minnesota bias all the time. Nobody wants to hear about section 8A or 8AA in Minnesota. NBC knew class B, Fargo and ABC does not and never will.

He will always know more and care more about the Bison then HS athletes...they do not cover HS sports highlights & scores like they used to a few years ago (sadly that’s both ABC & NBC in the FM area)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 am

IIRC NBC had a story on every team in the state tournament where they would have a couple player interviews and a couple clips from a practice.

I think the announcing on both ABC and NBC is/was below average. It really felt like NBC knew class B better thought. If Izzo has a chance to connect NDSU or UND into a story you know he's going to do it.

woodchuck10 wrote:Nobody wants to hear about section 8A or 8AA in Minnesota.

This is true. ND doesn't care about MN and MN doesn't care about ND.
Thompson is title town in ND, but there is small school just across the river that was better in FB, VB, GBB and BBB IMO and outside of Run there probably isn't a poster that could name the school.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am

Flip wrote:IIRC NBC had a story on every team in the state tournament where they would have a couple player interviews and a couple clips from a practice.

I think the announcing on both ABC and NBC is/was below average. It really felt like NBC knew class B better thought. If Izzo has a chance to connect NDSU or UND into a story you know he's going to do it.

Thompson is title town in ND, but there is small school just across the river that was better in FB, VB, GBB and BBB IMO and outside of Run there probably isn't a poster that could name the school.

Ada
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 am

d_fense wrote:
Flip wrote:IIRC NBC had a story on every team in the state tournament where they would have a couple player interviews and a couple clips from a practice.

Ada

I am more of a Borup man myself. The addition of Norman County West didn't hurt either.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am

Big Blue wrote:
d_fense wrote:

Ada

I am more of a Borup man myself. The addition of Norman County West didn't hurt either.

Getting to stay Class A also didn’t hurt them with that addition; Ada was a Shiloh opponent this year (they also beat HCV)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Wilbur » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 am

I don't know how many years they did it, but I know that CBS covered the State Boys in 1978 and the State Boys in 1985 and 86. Russ Smith and Jim Adelson were the announcers in the 80s. A lot of people will disagree, but I actually enjoyed listening to them.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys