2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby madseason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:Two very good games this evening. Hopefully tomorrow night sees to more good ones. Impressed with Thompson as a team, but Ben Bohl is the real deal. He and Molan from Ellendale might be the two best offensive players in this tournament. I know Bohl is going to Minot State, anyone know where Molan might be headed? I really wish they would televise every game of the State B.


The consolation games were streamed online (just the video feed...no announcers/play-by-play) through inforum.com


Yeah, but I really wish they would televise all 12 games of the State B, I bet it would do well in the ratings. Back in my younger days when my Dad and I would go every year a lot of the best games were Friday and Saturday afternoon.
Ha Ha! be happy with what you get right now. Sports is on the downslide on any local TV. WDAY tries a little bit? KVLY? They like ND sports like they like Trump? :lol:
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: NE ND

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 pm

Bohl is a good player, but is he playing that great? 52 points on 52 shots is hardly anything to brag about.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3964
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Flip wrote:Bohl is a good player, but is he playing that great? 52 points on 52 shots is hardly anything to brag about.


Thought i was the only one thinking this.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby bisonation6 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Can we all just stop with this craziness?
I don’t even want to watch this anymore because of the poor sportsmanship. Everything is the fault of the private schools and we can’t even enjoy the games because of Bishop Ryan or Shiloh. Comments all over social media such as “They don’t deserve this since they aren’t true Class B,” or “Thanks to Bishop Ryan and Shiloh for ruining it for everyone.” People just constantly all over the schools and players from the private schools. It’s to the point where these kids are treated as they are at fault in some conspiracy to destroy high school sports and we need to develop an “Us vs. Them” mentality. Seriously, North Dakotans need to grow up. This isn’t an issue I hear with Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks. Minnesota plays the game and private schools are under no fire at all. If you have a problem, talk to the HSAA. Don’t go after the players and lose your minds over high school sports. Get a life.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 pm

bisonation6 wrote:Can we all just stop with this craziness?
I don’t even want to watch this anymore because of the poor sportsmanship. Everything is the fault of the private schools and we can’t even enjoy the games because of Bishop Ryan or Shiloh. Comments all over social media such as “They don’t deserve this since they aren’t true Class B,” or “Thanks to Bishop Ryan and Shiloh for ruining it for everyone.” People just constantly all over the schools and players from the private schools. It’s to the point where these kids are treated as they are at fault in some conspiracy to destroy high school sports and we need to develop an “Us vs. Them” mentality. Seriously, North Dakotans need to grow up. This isn’t an issue I hear with Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks. Minnesota plays the game and private schools are under no fire at all. If you have a problem, talk to the HSAA. Don’t go after the players and lose your minds over high school sports. Get a life.

:shock:
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby Blackheart » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:19 am

The 1985 Region 6 tourney was held at the Minot Auditorium...I know because my team played in it. :D
Blackheart
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby heimer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 am

bisonation6 wrote:Can we all just stop with this craziness?
I don’t even want to watch this anymore because of the poor sportsmanship. Everything is the fault of the private schools and we can’t even enjoy the games because of Bishop Ryan or Shiloh. Comments all over social media such as “They don’t deserve this since they aren’t true Class B,” or “Thanks to Bishop Ryan and Shiloh for ruining it for everyone.” People just constantly all over the schools and players from the private schools. It’s to the point where these kids are treated as they are at fault in some conspiracy to destroy high school sports and we need to develop an “Us vs. Them” mentality. Seriously, North Dakotans need to grow up. This isn’t an issue I hear with Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks. Minnesota plays the game and private schools are under no fire at all. If you have a problem, talk to the HSAA. Don’t go after the players and lose your minds over high school sports. Get a life.


Sacred Heart doesn't win a disproportional amount of state tournament berths, denying true small schools a shot at the dance.

And, you should hear the talk around private schools in the Minnesota class a (smaller of two classes) hockey tournament.

Also, private schools with success in Minnesota tend to opt up. St. Thomas Academy, Totino Grace are examples.

Apples and oranges in the comparison.

This state tournament has been awesome. But we were a play away from the "crown jewel" small school tournament being Minot vs Bismarck.

Its possible to enjoy the tournament while freely acknowledging a problem. Sticking our head in the sand us not the answer
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:11 pm
Location: Rupert's Land

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:09 am

heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:Can we all just stop with this craziness?
I don’t even want to watch this anymore because of the poor sportsmanship. Everything is the fault of the private schools and we can’t even enjoy the games because of Bishop Ryan or Shiloh. Comments all over social media such as “They don’t deserve this since they aren’t true Class B,” or “Thanks to Bishop Ryan and Shiloh for ruining it for everyone.” People just constantly all over the schools and players from the private schools. It’s to the point where these kids are treated as they are at fault in some conspiracy to destroy high school sports and we need to develop an “Us vs. Them” mentality. Seriously, North Dakotans need to grow up. This isn’t an issue I hear with Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks. Minnesota plays the game and private schools are under no fire at all. If you have a problem, talk to the HSAA. Don’t go after the players and lose your minds over high school sports. Get a life.


Sacred Heart doesn't win a disproportional amount of state tournament berths, denying true small schools a shot at the dance.

And, you should hear the talk around private schools in the Minnesota class a (smaller of two classes) hockey tournament.

Also, private schools with success in Minnesota tend to opt up. St. Thomas Academy, Totino Grace are examples.

Apples and oranges in the comparison.

This state tournament has been awesome. But we were a play away from the "crown jewel" small school tournament being Minot vs Bismarck.

Its possible to enjoy the tournament while freely acknowledging a problem. Sticking our head in the sand us not the answer


Ohhhhhh there’s a difference!!!
I guess Bishop Ryan and Shiloh should just try losing every now and then. Sounds like if they become more mediocre like Sacred Heart then there won’t be a problem. Thanks for acknowledging the winning is the problem here. Also I would like to point out it is much harder to qualify for the state tourney in MN. Sacred Heart is starting to build a program and beat most of the small towns except like two in their section this season. I suppose this will hit their home next. Some of their kids would likely be in Thompson were it not for their families being willing to pay 5K per year. This isn’t just a private school issue. This is a new world we live in that is more mobile and interconnected. Glad you have your Bismarck-Grand Forks South title matchup and the rural location of the one school makes everyone feel like it is “true class B.”
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby packers21 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:55 am

bisonation6 wrote:
heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:Can we all just stop with this craziness?
I don’t even want to watch this anymore because of the poor sportsmanship. Everything is the fault of the private schools and we can’t even enjoy the games because of Bishop Ryan or Shiloh. Comments all over social media such as “They don’t deserve this since they aren’t true Class B,” or “Thanks to Bishop Ryan and Shiloh for ruining it for everyone.” People just constantly all over the schools and players from the private schools. It’s to the point where these kids are treated as they are at fault in some conspiracy to destroy high school sports and we need to develop an “Us vs. Them” mentality. Seriously, North Dakotans need to grow up. This isn’t an issue I hear with Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks. Minnesota plays the game and private schools are under no fire at all. If you have a problem, talk to the HSAA. Don’t go after the players and lose your minds over high school sports. Get a life.


Sacred Heart doesn't win a disproportional amount of state tournament berths, denying true small schools a shot at the dance.

And, you should hear the talk around private schools in the Minnesota class a (smaller of two classes) hockey tournament.

Also, private schools with success in Minnesota tend to opt up. St. Thomas Academy, Totino Grace are examples.

Apples and oranges in the comparison.

This state tournament has been awesome. But we were a play away from the "crown jewel" small school tournament being Minot vs Bismarck.

Its possible to enjoy the tournament while freely acknowledging a problem. Sticking our head in the sand us not the answer


Ohhhhhh there’s a difference!!!
I guess Bishop Ryan and Shiloh should just try losing every now and then. Sounds like if they become more mediocre like Sacred Heart then there won’t be a problem. Thanks for acknowledging the winning is the problem here. Also I would like to point out it is much harder to qualify for the state tourney in MN. Sacred Heart is starting to build a program and beat most of the small towns except like two in their section this season. I suppose this will hit their home next. Some of their kids would likely be in Thompson were it not for their families being willing to pay 5K per year. This isn’t just a private school issue. This is a new world we live in that is more mobile and interconnected. Glad you have your Bismarck-Grand Forks South title matchup and the rural location of the one school makes everyone feel like it is “true class B.”


They should try opting up, anyschool that doesn’t have district lines shouldn’t be in Class B. GO TOMMIES!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 am

Overby did a nice job defending Bohl, he is used guarding a couple good elbow shooters for the last few years up in the NE corner (R2) :D :wink:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4822
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby heimer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:18 am

bisonation6 wrote:
Ohhhhhh there’s a difference!!!
I guess Bishop Ryan and Shiloh should just try losing every now and then. Sounds like if they become more mediocre like Sacred Heart then there won’t be a problem. Thanks for acknowledging the winning is the problem here.


It's fun when people ignore honest, insightful answers on this site, and, instead, run to the dog whistle.

I used the term "disproportionate". What this means is that Sacred Heart seems to fit well because the randomness of the athlete seems to be preserved there. It isn't in North Dakota's private schools, and we all know that.

No one minds winning, its how you win. If you win because you build a program, that should be respected. If you win because of an unfair draw of athletes playing in a situation of inequity, people have a problem, and we usually see that in the numbers. I'm guessing that, if you take the last 15-20 years, and you look at even the regional title games and up, private schools are far more prevalent for repetition of appearance than their public school counterparts.

If it was just Shiloh winning, or just Trinity winning, or just Ryan winning, that would be evidence they have a good thing going. When Shiloh and Trinity and Ryan and Oak Grove are winning constantly, the evidence would suggest private schools have an unfair advantage over their public school colleagues.

Further, what I find interesting is the complete ignorance to the clear difference between Sacred Heart being in East Grand Forks and Shiloh being in Bismarck or Oak Grove being in Fargo, or Minot Ryan being in Minot. East Grand Forks has a population slightly bigger than Valley City, and the geography of the situation is a deterrent from a lot of Grand Forks kids going there to play. If you go to Oak Grove, your games will be with Casselton, Arthur, Kindred, Tower City, Colfax, etc. Pretty easy travel. If you live in Grand Forks, and your kids go to Sacred Heart, your games are across the river, quite a distance from where you work or live by the time you get to it.

I know, because my wife and I have already had this conversation for our kids. One, that is in school, goes to private school. My wife wanted her to have the religious education experience she had (she went to St. Alphonsus in Langdon). I was okay with private or public. But we know that going all the way with it will be extremely difficult if our daughter plays anything. If Sacred Heart were in Grand Forks, it would be much easier. Trips to Larimore, Thompson, Grafton, Midway, Hillsboro, much easier than trips to Newfolden and Hallock.

It's not the same comparison.

bisonation6 wrote: Glad you have your Bismarck-Grand Forks South title matchup and the rural location of the one school makes everyone feel like it is “true class B.”


Wait, so, you just got upset because you feel schools are being unfairly targeted for winning, Thompson makes their FIRST STATE TOURNAMENT EVER, and now they are Grand Forks South? Why, because they have won one regional title?

The Henningsgards live closer to Grand Forks than they do Hillsboro. Don't recall hearing any complaints when they won back-to-back titles. I'll say "Hi" to them for you when I see them in church tomorrow, they go to church in Thompson sometimes. Weird how that worked out.

If you have a problem with Thompson because Grand Forks gives Thompson a chance for families to live in Thompson but work in Grand Forks, I can see your point. Thompson benefits because of it's proximity to a large town. Bigger towns have larger economic opportunities for families, and that allows for more families to live there, which means more opportunities for athletes to come through your school. Then you have a problem with:

Shiloh
Oak Grove
Trinity
Ryan
Our Redeemers
Trinity Christian
Central Cass
Kindred
Northern Cass
Hillsboro-Central Valley
Grafton
Carrington
New Salem
Beulah
Hazen
Rugby

I don't know, if you threw in a Valley City and a Wahpeton, maybe a Watford City, you would have a pretty interesting, viable-for-the-long-term look at a...........nope, never mind. Won't fly
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:11 pm
Location: Rupert's Land

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:25 am

packers21 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:
heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:Can we all just stop with this craziness?
I don’t even want to watch this anymore because of the poor sportsmanship. Everything is the fault of the private schools and we can’t even enjoy the games because of Bishop Ryan or Shiloh. Comments all over social media such as “They don’t deserve this since they aren’t true Class B,” or “Thanks to Bishop Ryan and Shiloh for ruining it for everyone.” People just constantly all over the schools and players from the private schools. It’s to the point where these kids are treated as they are at fault in some conspiracy to destroy high school sports and we need to develop an “Us vs. Them” mentality. Seriously, North Dakotans need to grow up. This isn’t an issue I hear with Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks. Minnesota plays the game and private schools are under no fire at all. If you have a problem, talk to the HSAA. Don’t go after the players and lose your minds over high school sports. Get a life.


Sacred Heart doesn't win a disproportional amount of state tournament berths, denying true small schools a shot at the dance.

And, you should hear the talk around private schools in the Minnesota class a (smaller of two classes) hockey tournament.

Also, private schools with success in Minnesota tend to opt up. St. Thomas Academy, Totino Grace are examples.

Apples and oranges in the comparison.

This state tournament has been awesome. But we were a play away from the "crown jewel" small school tournament being Minot vs Bismarck.

Its possible to enjoy the tournament while freely acknowledging a problem. Sticking our head in the sand us not the answer


Ohhhhhh there’s a difference!!!
I guess Bishop Ryan and Shiloh should just try losing every now and then. Sounds like if they become more mediocre like Sacred Heart then there won’t be a problem. Thanks for acknowledging the winning is the problem here. Also I would like to point out it is much harder to qualify for the state tourney in MN. Sacred Heart is starting to build a program and beat most of the small towns except like two in their section this season. I suppose this will hit their home next. Some of their kids would likely be in Thompson were it not for their families being willing to pay 5K per year. This isn’t just a private school issue. This is a new world we live in that is more mobile and interconnected. Glad you have your Bismarck-Grand Forks South title matchup and the rural location of the one school makes everyone feel like it is “true class B.”


They should try opting up, anyschool that doesn’t have district lines shouldn’t be in Class B. GO TOMMIES!


So should Nedrose be Class A then too? They have open enrollment so they will be the powerhouse of Region 6 for years to come. Why pay an arm and a leg to play for BR or ORCS if you can attend a big, beautiful new school with the latest state-of-the-art technology and play for free? With your logic, no “district lines” means Class A, right?
Also, don’t try to claim schools like Thompson don’t benefit from Grand Forks. Nobody here was born yesterday. How is their game any more fair than Bishop Ryan or Shiloh? It’s not the same exact advantages, but both the private schools and lots of these metro-area outskirt schools have similar concepts in terms of why kids are attending their school.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am

heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:
Ohhhhhh there’s a difference!!!
I guess Bishop Ryan and Shiloh should just try losing every now and then. Sounds like if they become more mediocre like Sacred Heart then there won’t be a problem. Thanks for acknowledging the winning is the problem here.


It's fun when people ignore honest, insightful answers on this site, and, instead, run to the dog whistle.

I used the term "disproportionate". What this means is that Sacred Heart seems to fit well because the randomness of the athlete seems to be preserved there. It isn't in North Dakota's private schools, and we all know that.

No one minds winning, its how you win. If you win because you build a program, that should be respected. If you win because of an unfair draw of athletes playing in a situation of inequity, people have a problem, and we usually see that in the numbers. I'm guessing that, if you take the last 15-20 years, and you look at even the regional title games and up, private schools are far more prevalent for repetition of appearance than their public school counterparts.

If it was just Shiloh winning, or just Trinity winning, or just Ryan winning, that would be evidence they have a good thing going. When Shiloh and Trinity and Ryan and Oak Grove are winning constantly, the evidence would suggest private schools have an unfair advantage over their public school colleagues.

Further, what I find interesting is the complete ignorance to the clear difference between Sacred Heart being in East Grand Forks and Shiloh being in Bismarck or Oak Grove being in Fargo, or Minot Ryan being in Minot. East Grand Forks has a population slightly bigger than Valley City, and the geography of the situation is a deterrent from a lot of Grand Forks kids going there to play. If you go to Oak Grove, your games will be with Casselton, Arthur, Kindred, Tower City, Colfax, etc. Pretty easy travel. If you live in Grand Forks, and your kids go to Sacred Heart, your games are across the river, quite a distance from where you work or live by the time you get to it.

I know, because my wife and I have already had this conversation for our kids. One, that is in school, goes to private school. My wife wanted her to have the religious education experience she had (she went to St. Alphonsus in Langdon). I was okay with private or public. But we know that going all the way with it will be extremely difficult if our daughter plays anything. If Sacred Heart were in Grand Forks, it would be much easier. Trips to Larimore, Thompson, Grafton, Midway, Hillsboro, much easier than trips to Newfolden and Hallock.

It's not the same comparison.

bisonation6 wrote: Glad you have your Bismarck-Grand Forks South title matchup and the rural location of the one school makes everyone feel like it is “true class B.”


Wait, so, you just got upset because you feel schools are being unfairly targeted for winning, Thompson makes their FIRST STATE TOURNAMENT EVER, and now they are Grand Forks South? Why, because they have won one regional title?

The Henningsgards live closer to Grand Forks than they do Hillsboro. Don't recall hearing any complaints when they won back-to-back titles. I'll say "Hi" to them for you when I see them in church tomorrow, they go to church in Thompson sometimes. Weird how that worked out.

If you have a problem with Thompson because Grand Forks gives Thompson a chance for families to live in Thompson but work in Grand Forks, I can see your point. Thompson benefits because of it's proximity to a large town. Bigger towns have larger economic opportunities for families, and that allows for more families to live there, which means more opportunities for athletes to come through your school. Then you have a problem with:

Shiloh
Oak Grove
Trinity
Ryan
Our Redeemers
Trinity Christian
Central Cass
Kindred
Northern Cass
Hillsboro-Central Valley
Grafton
Carrington
New Salem
Beulah
Hazen
Rugby

I don't know, if you threw in a Valley City and a Wahpeton, maybe a Watford City, you would have a pretty interesting, viable-for-the-long-term look at a...........nope, never mind. Won't fly



It appears you agree with me. Your points about the Hennigsgaards, economic activity, on and on, this is ALL I AM TRYING TO SAY. This has been my point the entire time. Everyone argues it’s not “true Class B” because the private schools have advantages. Certain public schools do too. A three-class system would be best having Bishop Ryan, Kindred, Thompson, Shiloh, Oak Grove, etc, all in the same class because none of those schools have the same climate rural ND has such as Grant County or Ellendale. All I’m saying is stop only looking at private schools when you talk about pulling kids from far away and not in the true district.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 am

good post Heimer, Although this years Thompson team was fabricated way back when, when the "lets live in Thompson" thing begun...don't deny it...its much different than lets say when Cavalier went on their 3 year streak of 3 AA Football titles along with 3 Baseball Championships....literally all Cavalier kids, no Co-op no nothing....also Langdon is now stretching from Egland to Milton and from Tolna to the Canadian Border so they would have to be on the list too....
do whatever it takes....my kids are always ready to play where ever, whenever, they've faced much more adversity than "not going three classes" in life
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4822
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby packers21 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:53 am

bisonation6 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:
heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:Can we all just stop with this craziness?
I don’t even want to watch this anymore because of the poor sportsmanship. Everything is the fault of the private schools and we can’t even enjoy the games because of Bishop Ryan or Shiloh. Comments all over social media such as “They don’t deserve this since they aren’t true Class B,” or “Thanks to Bishop Ryan and Shiloh for ruining it for everyone.” People just constantly all over the schools and players from the private schools. It’s to the point where these kids are treated as they are at fault in some conspiracy to destroy high school sports and we need to develop an “Us vs. Them” mentality. Seriously, North Dakotans need to grow up. This isn’t an issue I hear with Sacred Heart in East Grand Forks. Minnesota plays the game and private schools are under no fire at all. If you have a problem, talk to the HSAA. Don’t go after the players and lose your minds over high school sports. Get a life.


Sacred Heart doesn't win a disproportional amount of state tournament berths, denying true small schools a shot at the dance.

And, you should hear the talk around private schools in the Minnesota class a (smaller of two classes) hockey tournament.

Also, private schools with success in Minnesota tend to opt up. St. Thomas Academy, Totino Grace are examples.

Apples and oranges in the comparison.

This state tournament has been awesome. But we were a play away from the "crown jewel" small school tournament being Minot vs Bismarck.

Its possible to enjoy the tournament while freely acknowledging a problem. Sticking our head in the sand us not the answer


Ohhhhhh there’s a difference!!!
I guess Bishop Ryan and Shiloh should just try losing every now and then. Sounds like if they become more mediocre like Sacred Heart then there won’t be a problem. Thanks for acknowledging the winning is the problem here. Also I would like to point out it is much harder to qualify for the state tourney in MN. Sacred Heart is starting to build a program and beat most of the small towns except like two in their section this season. I suppose this will hit their home next. Some of their kids would likely be in Thompson were it not for their families being willing to pay 5K per year. This isn’t just a private school issue. This is a new world we live in that is more mobile and interconnected. Glad you have your Bismarck-Grand Forks South title matchup and the rural location of the one school makes everyone feel like it is “true class B.”


They should try opting up, anyschool that doesn’t have district lines shouldn’t be in Class B. GO TOMMIES!


So should Nedrose be Class A then too? They have open enrollment so they will be the powerhouse of Region 6 for years to come. Why pay an arm and a leg to play for BR or ORCS if you can attend a big, beautiful new school with the latest state-of-the-art technology and play for free? With your logic, no “district lines” means Class A, right?
Also, don’t try to claim schools like Thompson don’t benefit from Grand Forks. Nobody here was born yesterday. How is their game any more fair than Bishop Ryan or Shiloh? It’s not the same exact advantages, but both the private schools and lots of these metro-area outskirt schools have similar concepts in terms of why kids are attending their school.


Like I stated before Nedrose IMO is the exact same as Thompson, neither are the same as the private’s tho. As far as the game last night. I thought it was a great one to watch.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:07 am

Excellent Game, some of Shwabe's 3 attempts at the end somewhat surprised me but he was floating on leadership and confidence (rare traits at young age) he made up for it though with big free throws down the stretch....going to be another good one tonight but I think the best matchup was Thom vs BR last night as far as speed and transition...Thomp will be forced to play thier bigs (which is fine) because of Big Country (young)....I think George has done an excellent Job on the sideline this tourney....stemming from a great job at Regions
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4822
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby leroybla » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 am

winner-within wrote:good post Heimer, Although this years Thompson team was fabricated way back when, when the "lets live in Thompson" thing begun...don't deny it...its much different than lets say when Cavalier went on their 3 year streak of 3 AA Football titles along with 3 Baseball Championships....literally all Cavalier kids, no Co-op no nothing....also Langdon is now stretching from Egland to Milton and from Tolna to the Canadian Border so they would have to be on the list too....
do whatever it takes....my kids are always ready to play where ever, whenever, they've faced much more adversity than "not going three classes" in life


Oak Grove has the benefit of players from Minnesota . . . . not allowed with any other school in R1. I HEAR of parents trying to recruit athletes at young ages to their winter/summer leagues to build high school teams (poach a Park Christian (Mhd) youngster to Oak Grove). Not unheard of.
leroybla
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby north1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Have stayed on the sidelines in this debate trying to formulate what is happening in class B, why, what it means to the game and what the future may bring. Will preface my comments by stating I have no solutions. These changes have been occurring for quite some time. I was part of the Newburg Eagles run in the mid eighties. We had a core of good players in Newburg but truth be told mergers with Kramer and Maxbass provided key pieces to the puzzle to build great teams in that era. When I get frustrated with the current state of events I try to temper that with the knowledge of what I was a part of 30 years ago(God I’m getting old!!!). Then there was a merger with Westhope in the 90’s that produced some good teams also. Being a part of this eclectic mix of players increased competition within the “ranks” of the team, brought new ideas and styles of play and fostered a culture of winning that invariably seems to wane over time until a coach, specific group of players, merger or some other catalyst sparks revitalization of the program. Truthfully these factors have been a part of the game since it’s inception. If nothing else, our current state of affairs at least provides(at times) for the David vs Goliath matchups that give everyone involved a side to root for passionately.
north1
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:STATE TOURNEY
@ MSU Dome

Saturday, March 16th
7th Place: Ellendale (15-12) vs. (RV) Powers Lake (20-7)
5th Place: #5 (9) New Rockford-Sheyenne (23-4) vs. (10) Beulah (20-5)
3rd Place: #4 (7) Bishop Ryan (23-4) vs. #3 (3) Richland (22-3)
Championship: #1 (1) Thompson (25-1) vs. #2 (5) Shiloh Christian (23-3)


Ellendale
Beulah
BR
Thompson
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:47 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby leroybla » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:18 pm

leroybla wrote:
winner-within wrote:good post Heimer, Although this years Thompson team was fabricated way back when, when the "lets live in Thompson" thing begun...don't deny it...its much different than lets say when Cavalier went on their 3 year streak of 3 AA Football titles along with 3 Baseball Championships....literally all Cavalier kids, no Co-op no nothing....also Langdon is now stretching from Egland to Milton and from Tolna to the Canadian Border so they would have to be on the list too....
do whatever it takes....my kids are always ready to play where ever, whenever, they've faced much more adversity than "not going three classes" in life


Oak Grove has the benefit of players from Minnesota . . . . not allowed with any other school in R1. I HEAR of parents trying to recruit athletes at young ages to their winter/summer leagues to build high school teams (poach a Park Christian (Mhd) youngster to Oak Grove). Not unheard of.


Correction: Tri-State is a co-op of Fairmont, ND, Campbell and Tintah, MN and Rosholt, SD.
leroybla
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 pm

heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:
Ohhhhhh there’s a difference!!!
I guess Bishop Ryan and Shiloh should just try losing every now and then. Sounds like if they become more mediocre like Sacred Heart then there won’t be a problem. Thanks for acknowledging the winning is the problem here.


It's fun when people ignore honest, insightful answers on this site, and, instead, run to the dog whistle.

I used the term "disproportionate". What this means is that Sacred Heart seems to fit well because the randomness of the athlete seems to be preserved there. It isn't in North Dakota's private schools, and we all know that.

No one minds winning, its how you win. If you win because you build a program, that should be respected. If you win because of an unfair draw of athletes playing in a situation of inequity, people have a problem, and we usually see that in the numbers. I'm guessing that, if you take the last 15-20 years, and you look at even the regional title games and up, private schools are far more prevalent for repetition of appearance than their public school counterparts.

If it was just Shiloh winning, or just Trinity winning, or just Ryan winning, that would be evidence they have a good thing going. When Shiloh and Trinity and Ryan and Oak Grove are winning constantly, the evidence would suggest private schools have an unfair advantage over their public school colleagues.

Further, what I find interesting is the complete ignorance to the clear difference between Sacred Heart being in East Grand Forks and Shiloh being in Bismarck or Oak Grove being in Fargo, or Minot Ryan being in Minot. East Grand Forks has a population slightly bigger than Valley City, and the geography of the situation is a deterrent from a lot of Grand Forks kids going there to play. If you go to Oak Grove, your games will be with Casselton, Arthur, Kindred, Tower City, Colfax, etc. Pretty easy travel. If you live in Grand Forks, and your kids go to Sacred Heart, your games are across the river, quite a distance from where you work or live by the time you get to it.

I know, because my wife and I have already had this conversation for our kids. One, that is in school, goes to private school. My wife wanted her to have the religious education experience she had (she went to St. Alphonsus in Langdon). I was okay with private or public. But we know that going all the way with it will be extremely difficult if our daughter plays anything. If Sacred Heart were in Grand Forks, it would be much easier. Trips to Larimore, Thompson, Grafton, Midway, Hillsboro, much easier than trips to Newfolden and Hallock.

It's not the same comparison.

bisonation6 wrote: Glad you have your Bismarck-Grand Forks South title matchup and the rural location of the one school makes everyone feel like it is “true class B.”


Wait, so, you just got upset because you feel schools are being unfairly targeted for winning, Thompson makes their FIRST STATE TOURNAMENT EVER, and now they are Grand Forks South? Why, because they have won one regional title?

The Henningsgards live closer to Grand Forks than they do Hillsboro. Don't recall hearing any complaints when they won back-to-back titles. I'll say "Hi" to them for you when I see them in church tomorrow, they go to church in Thompson sometimes. Weird how that worked out.

If you have a problem with Thompson because Grand Forks gives Thompson a chance for families to live in Thompson but work in Grand Forks, I can see your point. Thompson benefits because of it's proximity to a large town. Bigger towns have larger economic opportunities for families, and that allows for more families to live there, which means more opportunities for athletes to come through your school. Then you have a problem with:

Shiloh
Oak Grove
Trinity
Ryan
Our Redeemers
Trinity Christian
Central Cass
Kindred
Northern Cass
Hillsboro-Central Valley
Grafton
Carrington
New Salem
Beulah
Hazen
Rugby

I don't know, if you threw in a Valley City and a Wahpeton, maybe a Watford City, you would have a pretty interesting, viable-for-the-long-term look at a...........nope, never mind. Won't fly

Unless the town of Buxton has up and moved North the Henningsgard s do not live closer to Grand Forks than Hillsboro. Not close.
Last edited by Flying Wallenda on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby heimer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I was just talking with The Schwab on this in press row (really likable dude, by the way!)

I think the solution lies in adding a factor of "taxable valuation" into classification to separate the third division out.

I think we all know that athletics has become a game of money. We see it at all levels. It may be as common a predictor of success as total enrollment, which is the classification factor we use now. We've attempted to adjust for it with free-and-reduced meals, but it's time to work more of it in.

This would mimic the NCAA model. Different divisions based on financial resources. It seems to work, and allows for movement throughout the spectrum.

I'll acknowledge a Valley City/Watford City/Wahpeton look with this as well and say:

If you're enrollment is under 400, you're either A or B. 400 and above, AA

If the land within, say 5, or 10, or whatever, miles from your home school site has a property tax valuation above a certain line, you're A. If you're below it, you're B.

Big cities and those cities that do not need to co-op would naturally fall above the line.

This accounts for wealth in a community, access to training facilities, camps, other resources, the lack of the need to co-op, access to the school without driving, etc., and still preserves an enrollment value as well.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:11 pm
Location: Rupert's Land

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:04 pm

That solution of taxable valuation seems fair. I’m fine with the private schools going into the middle class if it is based on something. It just can’t be a system based on enrollment, but with a catch that the private schools who qualify for the lowest class based on enrollment must move up because of previous “success.”
This Nedrose thing though is going to really show in a couple years. It is now practically a second public high school in Minot. It will look like a private school on steroids because as I said earlier, it is free with no district lines. This will be even more extreme than Thompson, not even close. The only thing separating Nedrose from officially being in the City of Minot is official city boundaries and I imagine this area will be incorporated within the next few years.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby woodchuck10 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Anyone else feel like the dome looked pretty empty compared to other years? Weather a factor or Ryan, Shiloh, Beulah maybe not bring as many fans. Beulah I think had a decent amount but let’s take them out and put in Rugby, New Salem, and Glen Ullin-Hebron in the tournament. I think these three bring at least another 1,500 fans to the tournament than three that are there.

I am not a three class supporter. Make Class A bigger, privates, Big B’s (Beulah, Kindred, Central Cass, Grafton etc) I think you see Four Winds-Minnewaukan and Hillsboro-Cental Valley split up if they have to go Class A. Might see Heart River, Hatton-Northwood split up also if the bigger B’s are up in Class A where they can compete, not year in and year out but they’ll have their opportunities.
User avatar
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:38 pm
Location: St. John, North Dakota

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby ticket0115 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:11 pm

Jumping ship again. Skyhawks in o.t.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests