Region 6

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 6

Postby spins » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:34 pm

defense1st wrote:Playing half games in regionals is a good way to never make it out of regionals.

Bohl would be more likely to get hurt on Tuesday after playing half a game on Monday than he would be playing 3.5 quarters on Monday at full effort.

I don't get the outrage over a blowout. This far in the season I think that's more incumbent on the team getting blown out than the winning team to stop it from happening.

I agree that it doesn't send much of a message. We already knew BR was good. This was expected, not surprising.

Playing half games in regionals is a good way to never make it out of regionals.

It was 46-10 at halftime. this game was never in doubt regardless who plays the second half.

Bohl would be more likely to get hurt on Tuesday after playing half a game on Monday than he would be playing 3.5 quarters on Monday at full effort.

With all due respect, this statement makes zero sense to me.

I don't get the outrage over a blowout.

i dont think there was outrage, but im sure there were annoyed people--including the radio announcer. I personally wasn't either...like i said. People expect this from Ryan--its what they do.

I agree that it doesn't send much of a message. We already knew BR was good. This was expected, not surprising.
[/quote]

yes. exactly right.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:40 pm

The thing that is a bit disappointing is to see these types of blowouts at the regional level. However, some regions had 3 or even 4 quality games. That is a positive.

I think most of the region knew exactly how this season would play out. big difference in talent between the top and bottom teams. The ORCS district win vs ryan was an anomaly.

I think there were 4 or 5 teams from last years region tourney that could knock off Ryans 2019 team...including the 2018 Ryan team.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:09 pm

I think it was two messages...both at Rugby...the district was a fluke and you just played this team close at home and we just destroyed them...and yes Bohl and his dad will do this to get into Rugby's head.

Also sent the message that we are not very deep either...

We'll see what shakes out over the next few hours
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:23 pm

justplayalready wrote:I think it was two messages...both at Rugby...the district was a fluke and you just played this team close at home and we just destroyed them...and yes Bohl and his dad will do this to get into Rugby's head.

Also sent the message that we are not very deep either...

We'll see what shakes out over the next few hours

this is a great take...but still the risk is not worth the potential reward.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:29 pm

defense1st wrote:Playing half games in regionals is a good way to never make it out of regionals.

I don't get the outrage over a blowout. This far in the season I think that's more incumbent on the team getting blown out than the winning team to stop it from happening.

I really don't think it was outrage. I honestly don't think anyone was surprised Ryan rolled Bottineau. As for guys playing more minutes to stay in rhythm, obviously that has to happen this time of the year. But like it was already mentioned before me, how much rhythm is there in a 50 point game? To me, it's things like still pressing when you're up 35-10 that get to people. It's not the spread at the end of the game.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:48 pm

Remember how districts went for Ryan? It was nearly a disaster. These are kids, but they are not too naïve to have that stick in the back of their mind. Perhaps the coaches thought these kids needed to play a complete game from start to finish just to get their groove or rhythm back. Practice speed is not the same as game speed. I'm guessing the coaches thought the kids needed the floor time in that situation. I totally buy into that theory.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDreg6b » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:50 pm

Agreed, when I said a rythmn meant at this time of the year a team needs to be on the floor together, playing as many minutes as possible, working. I do not think pressing when a game is completely in hand is necessary but when you are at the do or die part of the season being "kind" is no longer part of the game. I personally did not expect a 50 pt game between ryan and Bottineau, that I feel was Fellers way of sending a message to the rest of the teams.
NDreg6b
NDPreps Rookie

Postby spins » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 am

a big tip of the hat to ORCS, Look at some of the games they were losing at the beginning of the season.
a regular season finish of 10-12. i really thought MLS had a better shot at Ryan than ORCS had at Rugby.

only to be district champs and possible region champs. i would have lost my house on that bet.

all that being said, yet another year of a minot private school representing region 6 at state. Ive already given my ticket away for thursday night.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 am

spins wrote:
all that being said, yet another year of a minot private school representing region 6 at state. Ive already given my ticket away for thursday night.

We can agree on that. Doesn't feel great. But, so it goes. At least MLS gave them a good fight.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 am

Ive heard from multiple people that this is Fellers last year at Ryan--i have theories on why--but won't get into. I would assume that his brother ( assistant coach of some kind) will no longer be a part of the ryan coaching staff--which would likely mean--

Bohl- done
Hedberg - done
udekwe - done
feller - done

leaving one starter left ( Merck) and to my knowledge, not much on the bench. Looks like they might be done for a while after this season..although these schools always seem to find a way.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 am

Another year of D11 having nothing for D12...Until the Minot D11 school can get a few more years into it's program. I'm sure the list of excuses are high that D12 has an advantage having region at dome...but overall D11 is much weaker top to bottom at this time.

As far as this Thursday, I'd think OR will have to shoot a much higher % than normal to get by Ryan and have Ryan shoot a much lower than normal... Ryan shoots anything close to normal they win by 10+...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:26 am

if the freshman hendrickson can knock down 7 threes and put up 25 to beat rugby, he will need 10 threes and 40 to beat ryan. The whole team shot lights out last night though....i very much doubt that will happen again.

And is there an advantage for Ryan to play at the dome? Considering the school is 200 feet away and they have access to it...id say yes.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:36 am

And is there an advantage for Ryan to play at the dome? Considering the school is 200 feet away and they have access to it...id say yes.[/quote]

Like coming out the first night to win by 50...almost like they had been on that floor recently :mrgreen:

we see it every year day 1 of B how hard of a shooting adjustment it is to some teams...If the B is at the dome, R6 shouldn't be
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:01 pm

justplayalready wrote:Another year of D11 having nothing for D12...Until the Minot D11 school can get a few more years into it's program. I'm sure the list of excuses are high that D12 has an advantage having region at dome...but overall D11 is much weaker top to bottom at this time.

As far as this Thursday, I'd think OR will have to shoot a much higher % than normal to get by Ryan and have Ryan shoot a much lower than normal... Ryan shoots anything close to normal they win by 10+...

I think we will see the landscape gradually change over the next couple of years. There's a big drop off coming for Ryan, ORCS. DLB will get stronger as well as MLS I believe. For D11, Rugby always reloads. Nedrose's future is looking very bright. Bottineau seems to always put something respectable on the court. D-A had a good, young team this year. Velva's team will belong to their current sophomore class for 2 years. It will be a good mix of traditional powers as well as some new faces offering some relevance.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:10 pm

I'm always skeptical of forecasts of "drop offs" for Bishop Ryan. Seems like they always have one on the horizon, but then it never truly happens. It took a REALLY good Rugby team to knock them off for a couple years recently.

I guess what I'm saying is - parity would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby gvmearees » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:16 pm

spins wrote:a big tip of the hat to ORCS, Look at some of the games they were losing at the beginning of the season.
a regular season finish of 10-12. i really thought MLS had a better shot at Ryan than ORCS had at Rugby.

only to be district champs and possible region champs. i would have lost my house on that bet.

I'm sure you will be missed The fact that Bohl and Hedberg have superior genetics and probably shoot more shots during 1 summer than most kids shoot their entire life may have something to do with it!! Reality is tough, poor genetics and excuses are not a great receipe for success. There you go, have at me
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby spins » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:31 pm

correct on all accounts...and no i won't be missed

i have no beef with these kids.. i know Ben...great kid. Im happy for him. Id vote for him on Mr basketball frankly...but if you want to turn this into why i dont want to see privates in class B---we can do that.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:38 pm

gvmearees wrote:
spins wrote:a big tip of the hat to ORCS, Look at some of the games they were losing at the beginning of the season.

I'm sure you will be missed The fact that Bohl and Hedberg have superior genetics and probably shoot more shots during 1 summer than most kids shoot their entire life may have something to do with it!! Reality is tough, poor genetics and excuses are not a great receipe for success. There you go, have at me

Can't believe somebody actually typed those words.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defense1st » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:07 pm

theman wrote:
gvmearees wrote:

Can't believe somebody actually typed those words.

Must be the extra prayers.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Curious question, how many / what percentage of region 6 people will be cheering for Ryan ( other than the Ryan Alum).

The reason i ask is I've heard people say they cheer for their region at state regardless who goes.
Personally, Im on the Powers Lake bandwagon. No way i cheer for a private at a class B tourney...unless they are playing another private...then i just go home.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:28 pm

although i think Minot wins it this year....Ill pull for Powers Lake and NRS
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm

I'll apply my traditional rooting strategy for the State B. Draw a line from Bottineau straight down to Fort Yates and anybody west of that line gets my rooting interest.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:48 pm

spins wrote:Curious question, how many / what percentage of region 6 people will be cheering for Ryan ( other than the Ryan Alum).

I'm going for Ryan, unless they play Shiloh, then I don't know who I'll go for. I want 3 classes so I always cheer for the big schools and privates.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Flip wrote:
spins wrote:Curious question, how many / what percentage of region 6 people will be cheering for Ryan ( other than the Ryan Alum).

I'm going for Ryan, unless they play Shiloh, then I don't know who I'll go for. I want 3 classes so I always cheer for the big schools and privates.

That's one way of looking at it. haha
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys