2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Might want to include Scranton when talking about Hettinger-Scranton, a lot of their players are from Scranton as well.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby moverandshaker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:22 pm

ninja_joe wrote:I was in attendance at all 12 games in Grand Forks at the Betty. My thoughts---
*The student cheering sections were awesome to watch as they really had fun & pulled for their team
*The crowd was electric for games 1,3, & 4 and the rest of the televised brackets. Amazing atmosphere!
*KIndred was very resilient for such a young team with two solid comeback wins in the semis & title game. Quite impressive. If this team stays together--can't imagine what these girls could be when they are Seniors.
*Rugby was a very gritty team who never blinked and gave an inch. Very impressed with their resolve & leadership from Stier & Hager. Nice job ladies. Real fun watching this team making the game be played their way
*Thompson so fluid with their cutting & team passing. Few weak spots & solid in so many ways. Team play & team work at a high level.
*Hettinger - really liked their big girl; thought she was the best post in tourney as she scored, rebounded, & played real good defense.
*Langdon - loved their solid inside game--and to see how young this team is with the size they have; they will be back as I can see how they handled 4 winds. Very disciplined and solid basketball team
*Kidder Co- great team speed; not quite as dominant the sportscaster class B polls had them picked--very capable of defeating anyone in the tourney though
*Trenton - caught a tough break in the opening round; another very young talented team with no seniors; very impressed by their work ethic & effort--not the biggest team by any means & Hove was real fun to watch--
*Shiloh - winning tradition & program; getting to a State tournament is a special accomplishment & these girls should be proud--rough game with Thompson but represented themselves well in their last two games

I would guess Kindred, Langdon, Hettinger, & Trenton have legit chances to get back next year with all the youth on their teams. Kidder Co. will be heard from & Thompson will likely be there again too. Great tournament & as a fan, it was pleasure to watch all of the teams in person. These ladies worked hard to get there. Congrats to all!

I agree 100%. This was a very fun tournament to watch in person, the atmosphere was amazing. We are definitely going to be seeing many of these young talented teams for a couple years to come. The Betty rocked!
moverandshaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 am

The Betty was rocking.... I am favor of the tournament staying there. It was so loud for so many games. Great seats great view. I enjoyed my time there link no other girls tournament. If I had a vote... Betty all the way. If you ask the girls and teams themselves, I don't think any of them would argue.
Seedings???? Who cares. They have to play who they have to play. Do I think it should have been Thompson and Kindred on the last night. Yes I do. You have to play who ever they throw in front of you.

Yes the East was better this year.... the West was better last year.....

Also yes the Kindred, Thompson's and others have been there recently.... but they have put the work in. Many of these girls play 6 months a year and are lifting and staying in shape. Working on getting faster and stronger. and they have been doing it since 3 grade. Saying the smaller towns can not do that is BS. Any parent can start a travel team. It takes lots of time, money and commitment. Stop complaining about the schools getting to state and start getting your kids ready.
Basketball is only 5 players at a time. It does not matter how big your school is.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:47 am

There is no such thing as East and West (except the geography side of it) in ND Class B Basketball
there is in fact, in ND Class A Basketball but not in Class B, this is Proven when some teams that have went to Super Region Format now, and get a shot at a Dickinson Trinity or a Bishop Ryan game on their regular season schedule.......and yes all Class B ball should be in Super Region Format (mandatory) and no District play.....

Great Great Girls Tournament! they deserve a standing ovation for their heart and determination and class!!
some very good programs.........
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 am

maddog1971 wrote:
Basketball is only 5 players at a time. It does not matter how big your school is.

Really? Then I say we go to a 1 class system. Would make everything simpler. End all these arguments. Make scheduling easier, less travel, ease the burden of arenas to play in. Give us a chance for that "Hoosier" euphoria.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby airmail » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:00 pm

So much fun this past weekend. A few thoughts that I'll throw out there - most have been said.

The Betty:
The staff there continually learned how to deal with the small stuff as the weekend went along. Things like having a north-south access to concessions behind the east seating area, and extra ticket scanner now and then, etc. all seemed to get better. If anyone doesn't like it - well - too bad. NDHSAA and the coaches are gushing over the atmosphere and venue... it's all but a lock for the 2021. I will definitely be there whether my favorite team is in it or not. :cough: state-class-b-volleyball? :cough:
Some press on the matter:
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... tournament

The Seedings:
Since there's a devoted thread on the issue, I'll keep it short. If there was collusion in the coaches rankings of Kindred, then the system is broken and it needs to get blown up. In the end, I think the best teams competed for first, second, third, fourth and fifth place. The bracket kind of worked itself out; it was just a matter of which night your heart got broken.

The Teams:
Shilo - Trenton: Get out there and schedule some teams from around the state if you can, take part in some tournaments, and build your programs. No shame at all, keep building.

H-S and KC: You represented well and have a lot of talent on your teams. Well done. I'm curious as to the impact the injured players from H-S might have made. Too bad, but just the way it goes sometimes.

L-E-M: Expect to see these girls back... no seniors on this year's team. I think they have to go deeper than six if they're going to make a serious run at the title... that may have been their achilles heel.

Thompson: Easily the most balanced and unselfish team in the tournament. Fun to watch them move the ball, but a shame to lose the same game in basically the same situation two years running. Gotta figure out how to finish that. Voted scariest team in the state if they'd ever get someone over 6' on the team.

Rugby: I didn't give them credit before the tournament, but I'll eat crow now. Senior leadership was alive and well. These girls brought so much heart to the floor and just about pulled it off. I was cheering loud and was legitimately sad for them when it didn't go their way. Congrats to coaches too on a good game plan and having your team ready to compete at a very high level.

Kindred: I can't even believe what these girls are doing at such a young age. Pretty consistent play, strong post moves, and icy veins on the outside shots to put them in position to win. I think they probably had the most talented player on the floor - #5 is the kind of kid we don't get to see very often. Without going into details at a kid's expense, I'll say that you are (whether fair or not) held to a particular standard when you have that much talent. It's a shame that I don't enjoy watching this athlete play the way others do. The body language and other actions are much too much for me. For that matter, mom and dad can use a little lesson in sportsmanship as well.
All of that said - see you guys next year. Kindred has the tools and they know how to use them. End of story.

Repeat Teams:
There always seems to be some animosity with teams that make it to the tournament more than once in a while. The most basic fact is that some schools have teams, and some build programs. Teams are a special group of kids that put it all together at the right time and make a run. Programs have had the wheels in motion for 8 years - with the goal of getting to this tournament. Kindred and Thompson, I believe are the perfect examples of programs with a lot of time, commitment, and buy-in from coaches, parents, and players. Maddog1971 kind of nailed what those kids are doing. If you want to be at the dance consistently, that's one way to chase it down.

Nutshell:
Awesome tournament. Some good teams, some GREAT games, and I like watching basketball in a leather seat with cherry armrests. The over-priced popcorn bucket and coke cup were refillable, so I was fat AND happy. Well done.
Last edited by airmail on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Just a FYI - Shiloh does get out and schedule quality teams...just an incredibly down year for R5...I hear their schedule next year is loaded with quality teams.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:23 pm

I can't find it, but I thought I saw the future sites for the state tournament and it alternated between Minot and GF for the next few years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby airmail » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Flip wrote:I can't find it, but I thought I saw the future sites for the state tournament and it alternated between Minot and GF for the next few years.

I thought that was the case too - I edited my post to reflect a tournament there in 2021. I keep forgetting it's 2019. :?
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:12 pm

airmail wrote:
Flip wrote:I can't find it, but I thought I saw the future sites for the state tournament and it alternated between Minot and GF for the next few years.

I thought that was the case too - I edited my post to reflect a tournament there in 2021. I keep forgetting it's 2019. :?

https://ndhsaa.com/calendar/tournament-sites/approved
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby vikingman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Was the H-S girl that was out due to knee injury a major player for them?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:06 pm

I just comment on LEM they will be deeper next year I believe and they should have been deeper this year. They lost one top players to injury for the season and they lost a girl who moved away in mid season. Second I believe they have number of girls on bench that should be factor next year but they were such a young team this year with only two juniors on the team and rest sophomores all way down to seventh graders on the varsity. The other junior on the team was girl injured for the season. LEM has good opportunity to return but nobody forgets Fourwinds who are in there region also they have very good team and they were just as young as LEM so next year is no given.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:29 pm

vikingman wrote:Was the H-S girl that was out due to knee injury a major player for them?

Yes and a senior
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:10 pm

airmail.... let's not forget that this player that you are talking about is a Freshman. Have you ever seen her complain to a Ref... say one word. Just becuz she puts her head down means nothing beside she is young. No bad attitude. Yes... some people call it flopping when she goes down to the floor but some people call it... not liking to get hit in the stomach tens times a night.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby aNDkid91 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
vikingman wrote:Was the H-S girl that was out due to knee injury a major player for them?

Yes and a senior

Oh that's so heartbreaking. :cry:
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Yes... some people call it flopping when she goes down to the floor but some people call it... not liking to get hit in the stomach tens times a night.

you would be the first one.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:05 am

Keep an eye on Grafton in Region 2 next year. They had an overall young team this year, beat Thompson once in reg season, and lost by 3 in region final..Thompson loses some key seniors.. :?
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls