2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018-19 STATE CLASS B GBB TOURNEY

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:18 pm

I also say KC ties the game or makes the comeback (even though they started their comeback strategy to late in the game) had the 10 second call been made and no time out awarded to opponents bench...IMO
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ForeverB » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Do you think the shot clock stops as soon as a coach calls a timeout or does a second or two run off before a ref calls it. Also in region tourney they get that call every time
ForeverB
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 pm

ForeverB wrote:Do you think the shot clock stops as soon as a coach calls a timeout or does a second or two run off before a ref calls it. Also in region tourney they get that call every time

It’s also dependent on if the shot clock started running at the correct time...but I believe officials are supposed to still use their count with the arm movement and not the shot clock
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby imjustafan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:33 pm

ForeverB wrote:Do you think the shot clock stops as soon as a coach calls a timeout or does a second or two run off before a ref calls it. Also in region tourney they get that call every time

The shot clock 'should' be synced to the game clock, meaning that the when the game clock operator starts and stops, the shot clock also starts and stops. I have seen some places that aren't synced and one or the other can tick off a second or two more.

I kill the clock when the ref calls it (I have the shot clock synced). There are too many times when a coach calls for a TO and before the ref can call it, something happens and now the coach does not want/need the TO. By waiting for the ref to call the TO you get the reaction time of the ref hearing the TO call and whistling it and the reaction time of the clock operator stopping the clock. Sometimes a couple seconds are lost here. If the ref that was timing the 10 also whistled the TO, he could have heard the TO call before he got to 10 and by the time everyone reacted, the shot clock showed 23. I'd have to look back to see if the ref timing the 10 was the one making the TO call.
imjustafan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Heimer’s blind date in Hettinger story kills my theory that he had never set foot west of Sky Lanes in Valley City.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Well, seeing as I worked in Bismarck for a year, there's that.

Nice girl, a bit of a weird date. Lots of distance. Probably wasn't going to work. But she was a great girl.

I also broadcast three East-West wrestling tournaments in New Salem, two basketball tournaments in Beulah, and even lived in Stanton for a week.

So, as long as we're blowing up theories. :lol:
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:33 pm

heimer wrote:Well, seeing as I worked in Bismarck for a year, there's that.

Nice girl, a bit of a weird date. Lots of distance. Probably wasn't going to work. But she was a great girl.

I also broadcast three East-West wrestling tournaments in New Salem, two basketball tournaments in Beulah, and even lived in Stanton for a week.

So, as long as we're blowing up theories. :lol:

I stand corrected. Hope all is well. Thanks for Making Preps Great Again
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:02 pm

the call has no bearing on me.. :) ....its just that when the Commentator states "12 seconds had run off" well then "a second or 2" still puts it at 10 or 11 seconds........its when the wind went out of KC's sails, they were heading for a close finish.... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Finally, a game where BOTH teams can score.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Likely the title game.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 pm

It's a shame that one of these 2 teams is going to be going home a winner.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 pm

At what point do we reach Anybody but Kindred?
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:23 pm

vikingman wrote:It's a shame that one of these 2 teams is going to be going home a winner.

Let’s just give Thompson and Kindred a dual championship. Gosh those girls deserve it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:26 pm

justplayalready wrote:At what point do we reach Anybody but Kindred?

When you seed the tournament correctly.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 pm

heimer wrote:
justplayalready wrote:At what point do we reach Anybody but Kindred?

When you seed the tournament correctly.

So we don't put the correct teams #1 and #2 because it would lead to a 3 class system??? or an honest discussion about one?? or some other narrative???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby birthday » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:01 pm

imjustafan wrote:

The shot clock 'should' be synced to the game clock, meaning that the when the game clock operator starts and stops, the shot clock also starts and stops. I have seen some places that aren't synced and one or the other can tick off a second or two more.

I kill the clock when the ref calls it (I have the shot clock synced). There are too many times when a coach calls for a TO and before the ref can call it, something happens and now the coach does not want/need the TO. By waiting for the ref to call the TO you get the reaction time of the ref hearing the TO call and whistling it and the reaction time of the clock operator stopping the clock. Sometimes a couple seconds are lost here. If the ref that was timing the 10 also whistled the TO, he could have heard the TO call before he got to 10 and by the time everyone reacted, the shot clock showed 23. I'd have to look back to see if the ref timing the 10 was the one making the TO call.

The shots clock operator has to start the shot clock after a made basket because it doesn’t start until the ball is touched, unless you are talking after a dead ball situation then they should have it turned on then it startswhen clock starts
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:01 pm

If Rugby can get their next game to resemble a Rugby match somehow???...anything that resembles basketball shouldn't be a question???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 pm

justplayalready wrote:
So we don't put the correct teams #1 and #2 because it would lead to a 3 class system??? or an honest discussion about one?? or some other narrative???

We intentionally seeded two west teams 4 and 5 to make sure the west had a team in the semis after a disastrous showing at the state volleyball tournament.

The rest is conjecture, but good conjecture.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Dakotastater » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Kindred by 20, unless it gets ugly, then Kindred by 15.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:56 pm

heimer wrote:
justplayalready wrote:

We intentionally seeded two west teams 4 and 5 to make sure the west had a team in the semis after a disastrous showing at the state volleyball tournament.

The east has dominated volleyball for a long time. It was an all west final in GBB last year.

Either the coaches seeded these teams, or Heimer found a frozen envelope somewhere. #ConspiracyTheory #MattFetchActedAlone
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:56 pm

heimer wrote:
justplayalready wrote:

Please tell me how this happened. The coaches vote: best and worst score is thrown out. Please tell me how the coaches intentionally rigged this system through their online voting process.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:05 am

heimer wrote:Alright, my turn.

1) quit yer bitc#!ng about driving to Grand Forks. We have a big state. Get used to it. Not every part of our state is pasture land and pheasant hunting. I respect those things, but the state is the state.

The tournaments are spread because there are some communities that take on revenue-losing tournaments/meets, so they are guaranteed something that generates revenue. Having the girls tournament in Grand forks is a good way to get them back for hosting golf, or fine arts, or soccer, things that do not generate revenue. .

This is not really true (why GF gets money tournaments). State soccer, golf, XC, fine arts...Jamestown is in the regular rotation for these tournaments. Dickinson hosts many of them as well, and these towns don’t get “money-makers” to make up for it.

It’s venue- and hotels-driven. Not much more than that, and that’s how it should be. You can host it or you can’t.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:25 am

The Schwab wrote:
heimer wrote:Alright, my turn.

1) quit yer bitc#!ng about driving to Grand Forks. We have a big state. Get used to it. Not every part of our state is pasture land and pheasant hunting. I respect those things, but the state is the state.

The tournaments are spread because there are some communities that take on revenue-losing tournaments/meets, so they are guaranteed something that generates revenue. Having the girls tournament in Grand forks is a good way to get them back for hosting golf, or fine arts, or soccer, things that do not generate revenue.

I drove to Hettinger in 1997 for a blind date in a Chevy Celebrity. True story. Not a big deal. Enjoy Grand Forks.

2) it's pretty clear to me we just couldn't have a repeat of state volleyball, with an all-east semifinal. So, we found a couple of schools with big records to seed, and forced Kindred, Langdon, and Thompson into the same bracket, probably to negate that whole "wah wah wah Thompson just played in that arena no fair no fair no fair wah wah wah" crap that was going on from the moment the tournament change was announced. The best five teams in the tournament are (in no order) Kindred, Langdon, Thompson, Kidder County, and then pick em. Record is not enough to use for seeding purposes if teams play much tougher schedules than their colleagues.

There was a team at state volleyball that absolutely didn't belong there, and there is at least one team at state basketball that doesn't belong there. What this tournament has done is tell schools to stop playing meaningful games in the regular season, run your record up, and get what you can. That's a setback for the game.

3) The Betty was awesome yesterday, far more entertaining than the same crowd at the Dome or the Alerus. I'm looking forward to tonight.

In response to number 2, man it’s such a shame that they had to rig the seedings to have 2 of the best from the west regions play in the first round. We couldn’t have an all-west final like we had last year!!

If you're referring to basketball, Thompson played Medina last year in the semis. That would be a Region 2 vs 3. In what world is that an all-west semifinal.

Also, no one bitc#es and complains about an all-west semifinal, because, in the east, we realize we will have to drive to get to actual games. But imagine the pain and heartbreak of the convoy that came up from Region 7 to see all of their west comrades in the sunshine half.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am

heimer wrote:Also, no one bitc#es and complains about an all-west semifinal, because, in the east, we realize we will have to drive to get to actual games. But imagine the pain and heartbreak of the convoy that came up from Region 7 to see all of their west comrades in the sunshine half.

He said "all-west final." No mention of semi-final.

Thompson and Medina played for 3rd place. Medina lost to Grant County in one semi. Thompson lost to Killdeer in the other semi.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:31 am

I am going to offer a little different take on State tournament Region 8 is one of the weaker regions by everyone accounts here on this thread. But i also think they probably on average have more smaller class b schools now and have no private schools in the region. I was thinking today at the tournament that Trenton represents large portion of the class b schools that are smaller and like in the past these small schools tend to schedule games from their region. Trenton is making appearance at the state after 19 years so basically they get a good team about once generation not like say Kindred who is making three state appearance in row and looks to have team that could go several more times. Teams like this can and will get chances to schedule other quality programs because they are known team to provide high level of competition. This is getting to my point why there should be 3 classes of basketball in the state. There are whole number of schools like Trenton in class b but if your in regions where you have several number of Kindreds in your region and maybe private even when you have good team you never reach a state tournament. I just look at the state tournament and i see to many of the same schools coming back quite regularly to the state tournament. In last 10 years Kindred has been 4 times, Thompson 6 times, Kidder county 3 times, Shiloh 5 times, LEM has been twice but Edmore has been there 5 times now with previous coop, Hettinger hasn't been here for 25 years and Trenton 19 years. Also Region 8 had Watford city move up to class A but had represented this region 5 times in the past 10 years. This is telling me we need to change something because its not healthy situation when only few get to go to state and rest just provide seasonal competition for the top couple of team in each region. I would like to see whole state tournament made up schools that only get state maybe once or twice in generation. I think state tournament should be something special not something that happens every few years.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls