Region 6

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 6

Postby Class B » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:59 pm

It's got to be Bishop Ryan's region, right? However you can never count out basketball-rich Rugby who had some underclassmen step up big last year in the postseason.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Re: Region 6

Postby spins » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:17 am

I think there are only a few teams in the region that are better teams than they were last year.
Rugby
Surrey
Berthold

Im thinking Ryan had a better team last year, but the Bohl and Hedberg have improved a lot.

Overall, i think the talent is way down-especially with teams like Velva, DLB, ORCS, Botno.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:37 am

Ryan's got a big week with Beulah and Shiloh on the schedule. That #1 ranking will be tested right off the bat.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Its going to come down to if they are hitting their shots-particularly Hedberg from 3. Thats probably the case with most teams--but i think that they are going to rely heavily on perimeter shooting. They will likely be out rebounded on both side of the court.

All that being said, Bohl can definitely get to the rim.

Ryan had a good rotation of players last year, Ill be curious to see how the season wears on Bohl and Hedberg.
They will have very little competition come district play IMO.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Thoughts on this region? The only game I have seen Minot Ryan play was the loss to Shiloh Christian. I thought the Lions did not look good- too many forced shots by the star players without making an effort to involve teammates. However, the Lions have won by some big margins recently, maybe as much due to the competition level as anything?

I have not seen Rugby play but have heard great things. After Ryan and Rugby the quality of teams drops off fast it seems. It will be interesting to see who advances to state.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 pm

usually a deep/strong region but "spins" stated earlier this year it is down in terms of multiple teams with a chance. I think the top two are pretty clear.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDreg6b » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:19 pm

I do think Rugby and Ryan are the top two teams but Velva did give Rugby all they wanted the other night and Berthold hung with Ryan for most of their game
NDreg6b
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Class B » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Velva and DLB are teams that I could see as spoilers in the tournaments. They both seem similar in terms of needing this season to build up some very capable underclasses. They've both have had similar types of regular seasons - though DLB had a much tougher schedule, IMO. Velva has struggled to find a consistent 2nd scorer behind Hayden Lee. Teams have been able to sit back in a zone all season long against them and smother Lee while taking their chances with the guards. Some nights those guards will hit their shots, some nights they won't. Florence is probably the fastest kid in the gym most nights - I would like to see him go to the rim more and create opportunities.

I don't think Velva or DLB has played their complete games yet, but they will during the tournaments.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Minot Ryan visits Rugby tonite...Must win for Rugby on home court??? This close to the regions(both should hold as #1 out of districts) if you can't hold at home???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Minot wins by 10...

tale of two halves...Rugby sits in 1-3-1 the first half & Bohl and Hedberg are lights out, Minot up 20 at half...

Rugby goes man second half and Minot's shooting % comes back to earth. Bohl and Hedberg have to work a bit more to get their points

If the regional goes as planned, this could be an interesting game...Rugby would have a chance if they play aggressive on both ends and can get into Ryan's bench...I think Minot would struggle against a true post player, something not seen in R6 ...Minot sure can shoot anyone out of a zone.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Class B wrote:Velva and DLB are teams that I could see as spoilers in the tournaments. They both seem similar in terms of needing this season to build up some very capable underclasses. They've both have had similar types of regular seasons - though DLB had a much tougher schedule, IMO. Velva has struggled to find a consistent 2nd scorer behind Hayden Lee. Teams have been able to sit back in a zone all season long against them and smother Lee while taking their chances with the guards. Some nights those guards will hit their shots, some nights they won't. Florence is probably the fastest kid in the gym most nights - I would like to see him go to the rim more and create opportunities.

I don't think Velva or DLB has played their complete games yet, but they will during the tournaments.

Im not sure if DLB even makes it to regionals.

RYAN
BERTHOLD
MLS
ORCS
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:38 pm

justplayalready wrote:Minot wins by 10...

tale of two halves...Rugby sits in 1-3-1 the first half & Bohl and Hedberg are lights out, Minot up 20 at half...

Rugby goes man second half and Minot's shooting % comes back to earth. Bohl and Hedberg have to work a bit more to get their points

If the regional goes as planned, this could be an interesting game...Rugby would have a chance if they play aggressive on both ends and can get into Ryan's bench...I think Minot would struggle against a true post player, something not seen in R6 ...Minot sure can shoot anyone out of a zone.

I didn't see the game, but Rugbys zone defense is very good. If there is one team that can beat it though, it's Ryan. I doubt either team laid all their cards down in this game...i wouldn't. Save it for the very likely region championship game.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:43 am

I still think the likelyhood of Rugby / Minot R final is rather high...

Don't know the details of Minot OR beating Minot R in districts..matchup??? Bad shooting night for R??? got into R's bench??? Same side of bracket now...

Rugby gets too focused on the rematch and forgets to show up Mon or Tue???? Hangover from the girls B weekend???

Don't think any of the other D11 teams can get by first day, although both TGU and Botno had good hot shooting runs against Rugby, but were short lived...Not sure on Minot N, but only trending upwards from here.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:16 pm

If the D12 tournament played out like it was supposed to, I wouldn't have given much of a thought to any D11 team outside of Rugby. Now that Ryan comes in as a 3rd seed, look for an upset minded D11 team or two advancing to tomorrow evening. MLS and OR is going to get more than what they want from Nedrose and TGU. Nedrose is coming off a type of win at districts that makes them start to believe... and TGU is playing on borrowed time. They'll be ready to play and with nothing to lose.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:24 pm

There are no upsets in this tourney except ryan or rugby.

Nedrose will be the powerhouse of this region for years to come, why pay to play at Ryan or ORCS when Nedrose has open enrollment and a beautiful school with no tuition. Say goodbye to the minot private school dominance.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:11 pm

spins wrote:There are no upsets in this tourney except ryan or rugby.

Nedrose will be the powerhouse of this region for years to come, why pay to play at Ryan or ORCS when Nedrose has open enrollment and a beautiful school with no tuition. Say goodbye to the minot private school dominance.

You will begin to see that probably as early as next year. At the JV levels, the numbers are extremely thin, especially at ORCS.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Won't be surprised to see South Prairie close behind Nedrose if Minot continues growing to the south.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Ryan just sent a message as to who this region goes through
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 am

They message they sent was they can score lots on bad teams because they dont take out their starters until they have a 70 point lead.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:28 am

spins wrote:They message they sent was they can score lots on bad teams because they dont take out their starters until they have a 70 point lead.

If we were still in the regular season I would agree with this, but not in the regional tournament. You might go deeper on your bench and throw out some new rotations, but once it's tournament time the starters to going to play through most of the game.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDreg6b » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:36 pm

I agree, come tournament time you need to stay in rhythm.
NDreg6b
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Class B » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:54 pm

conditioning is another factor. Your team needs to be conditioned for all four quarters. Sort of goes back to a football discussion earlier this year. Even if it's 50-0 at halftime, at some point you are going to need to play your starters a little longer because playoff games are going to go down to the wire and you need to be conditioned for it.

Also... Ryan dominated from the get-go. It had nothing to do with them running up the score. At one point it was 67-18, if I remember right.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:05 pm

huh?

So to be in condition for a thursday game, you play full monday and tuesday games? Why not schedule a game for wednesday so they are really fresh?

And how is 67-18 not running up the score with all your starters in with 5 minutes left in the game?

What kind of rhythm is there in a 50 point game?

what happens if bohl gets hurt with a 50 point lead? Come on guys....

Makes no difference to me--Ryan does this all the time. people expect it. I was just saying a blow out win against a poorer team doesn't send any message.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Playing half games in regionals is a good way to never make it out of regionals.

Bohl would be more likely to get hurt on Tuesday after playing half a game on Monday than he would be playing 3.5 quarters on Monday at full effort.

I don't get the outrage over a blowout. This far in the season I think that's more incumbent on the team getting blown out than the winning team to stop it from happening.

I agree that it doesn't send much of a message. We already knew BR was good. This was expected, not surprising.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

This will always be a great debate. When do you call off the "dogs" at this time of year? Keep them in too long, a top player gets injured, oh my. Take them out too soon, lose rhythm or opponent comes back, oh my. Guess that's why you have to trust the coach's decisions. Guessing they know their team better than anyone.

The thing that is a bit disappointing is to see these types of blowouts at the regional level. However, some regions had 3 or even 4 quality games. That is a positive.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys