Region 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2

Postby BISONFAN18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:53 pm

packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:Anyone with an internet connection can see it. It's a screen shot from the youtube broadcast.

true. they can also go online, watch the entire game, and form their own opinions.
Is it actually a violation in between quarters if they are below the free throw strip? I don't feel like looking through the rules book right now.

It is a clear violation. I don't think a good official will call it in this particular case. There is nothing malicious going on. With that being said, a good official should be able to prevent this situation by talking to the players. The 3rd official is out if the picture. This is his primary area. What is he doing?
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:06 pm

BISONFAN18 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:Anyone with an internet connection can see it. It's a screen shot from the youtube broadcast.

true. they can also go online, watch the entire game, and form their own opinions.
Is it actually a violation in between quarters if they are below the free throw strip? I don't feel like looking through the rules book right now.

It is a clear violation. I don't think a good official will call it in this particular case. There is nothing malicious going on. With that being said, a good official should be able to prevent this situation by talking to the players. The 3rd official is out if the picture. This is his primary area. What is he doing?

Pretty sure he is talking to the coach who wanted explanation about the call
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BISONFAN18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 pm

packers21 wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Pretty sure he is talking to the coach who wanted explanation about the call
That could explain why there was no "preventive" officiating going on. Just to be clear, if this was a rebounding situation, I would be more inclined to think a violation would be called if a player was standing in that exact spot.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby Fletcher » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Cavalier has to turnaround and play another rough road game tonight in Grafton!
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby B Historian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm

Some thoughts on this region at the midway point:

1. Thompson is long, athletic and deep. Very good defensive team. Trouble scoring the basketball at times against good competition has been an occasional problem but getting Schwabe back to full speed should help in that regard. The elephant in the room is that the Tommies can't seem to win when it counts in March and with the region being so tough it will be interesting to see if they can get over the hump this year. Definitely the favorite though.

2. HCV now has three wins coming back from double digit halftime deficits. Shows some fortitude and probably somewhat to do with taking everyone's best shot as two-time defending champs, but not a good way to win at tournament time. Has played a brutal schedule which will continue with Grafton, Thompson and Ada-Borup still to play in the second half of the season. Henningsgard is the best player in the state, mainly because he is a great passer that knows how to involve his teammates. This type of player seems to be a rarity these days. HCV is a notch behind Thompson but not a team I would want to run into in regional play.

3. Cavalier was impressive for the most part against HCV last night. A good shooting team with some very good athletes. I had my doubts whether this team could play with the top couple of teams in the region but not after last night. Will be a factor at tournament time.

4. Grafton has the two big post players but inexperienced guards. Have not seen this team play but I understand that the outside shooting and ball handling has improved greatly since early in the year. The Cavalier game tonight will be an interesting one.

I don't think any of the other teams will factor in the region title discussion but there are a few that could pull off an upset at tournament time in my opinion. Region 2 is loaded this year.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm

B Historian wrote:Some thoughts on this region at the midway point:

1. Thompson is long, athletic and deep. Very good defensive team. Trouble scoring the basketball at times against good competition has been an occasional problem but getting Schwabe back to full speed should help in that regard. The elephant in the room is that the Tommies can't seem to win when it counts in March and with the region being so tough it will be interesting to see if they can get over the hump this year. Definitely the favorite though.

2. HCV now has three wins coming back from double digit halftime deficits. Shows some fortitude and probably somewhat to do with taking everyone's best shot as two-time defending champs, but not a good way to win at tournament time. Has played a brutal schedule which will continue with Grafton, Thompson and Ada-Borup still to play in the second half of the season. Henningsgard is the best player in the state, mainly because he is a great passer that knows how to involve his teammates. This type of player seems to be a rarity these days. HCV is a notch behind Thompson but not a team I would want to run into in regional play.

3. Cavalier was impressive for the most part against HCV last night. A good shooting team with some very good athletes. I had my doubts whether this team could play with the top couple of teams in the region but not after last night. Will be a factor at tournament time.

4. Grafton has the two big post players but inexperienced guards. Have not seen this team play but I understand that the outside shooting and ball handling has improved greatly since early in the year. The Cavalier game tonight will be an interesting one.

I don't think any of the other teams will factor in the region title discussion but there are a few that could pull off an upset at tournament time in my opinion. Region 2 is loaded this year.

Hatton-Northwood being one of those teams IMO.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:31 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
B Historian wrote:Some thoughts on this region at the midway point:

Agreed. Hatton-Northwood is a threat to pull off an upset this year and a team to watch going forward with some nice young talent.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

or Larimore
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballKid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Thompson drops one to Larimore, they’ve looked really slow since they beat HCV, they don’t seem to play with passion and drive, the past 5 games they have been trailing at half to teams who they should beat by 20+ I’m not sure why this is happening, but they have looked awful.
BasketballKid
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Plinko123 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:23 pm

BasketballKid wrote:Thompson drops one to Larimore, they’ve looked really slow since they beat HCV, they don’t seem to play with passion and drive, the past 5 games they have been trailing at half to teams who they should beat by 20+ I’m not sure why this is happening, but they have looked awful.

It’s pretty sad that you don’t give larimore any credit! They hit tough shots and balled out. Smh
Plinko123
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BasketballKid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Plinko123 wrote:
BasketballKid wrote:Thompson drops one to Larimore, they’ve looked really slow since they beat HCV, they don’t seem to play with passion and drive, the past 5 games they have been trailing at half to teams who they should beat by 20+ I’m not sure why this is happening, but they have looked awful.

It’s pretty sad that you don’t give larimore any credit! They hit tough shots and balled out. Smh

I’m not discrediting Larimore at all the didn’t have an answer for Tupa Schemp was unstoppable from downtown, it’s just sad to see Thompson not playing with passion or as one unit. Larimore played a great game and they couldn’t miss at all.
BasketballKid
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bounce_32 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:54 am

BasketballKid wrote:
Plinko123 wrote:

I’m not discrediting Larimore at all the didn’t have an answer for Tupa Schemp was unstoppable from downtown, it’s just sad to see Thompson not playing with passion or as one unit. Larimore played a great game and they couldn’t miss at all.

I'll agree that Larimore shot real well. Thompsons bigs don't do the damage they should down low. It's going to get interesting down the stretch for sure.
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PMPT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 pm

bounce_32 wrote:
BasketballKid wrote:
Plinko123 wrote:

I'll agree that Larimore shot real well. Thompsons bigs don't do the damage they should down low. It's going to get interesting down the stretch for sure.

Larimore looked very strong last night, and there is more to the team than Tupa (who is a strong, skilled player). It wasn't just a one-man show. Larimore showed alot of grit after Thompson took the lead and regained the lead. It looked a bit like the Tommies had a hard time getting their heads around the fact that they were behind. This is a gut check for the Tommies, perhaps a blessing in disguise. The talent is there but every player needs to remember that there is no "I" in Team.
PMPT
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:33 pm

bounce_32 wrote:
BasketballKid wrote:
Plinko123 wrote:

It’s pretty sad that you don’t give Larimore any credit! They hit tough shots and balled out. Smh

There aren't many guys that want to go down low and score. It's hard, dirty, grunt work and most of the players want to get to the arc and shoot the 3. It's more glamorous and it's more celebrated on TV. So if Thompson's bigs don't post up and give them an inside threat, who can blame them.

But, if their bigs won't go low and get their noses dirty Thompson WILL come up short again in the regional.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Hinsa wrote:
bounce_32 wrote:
BasketballKid wrote:
Plinko123 wrote:

It’s pretty sad that you don’t give Larimore any credit! They hit tough shots and balled out. Smh

There aren't many guys that want to go down low and score. It's hard, dirty, grunt work and most of the players want to get to the arc and shoot the 3. It's more glamorous and it's more celebrated on TV. So if Thompson's bigs don't post up and give them an inside threat, who can blame them.

But, if their bigs won't go low and get their noses dirty Thompson WILL come up short again in the regional.

Although I do not totally disagree with you, I will say this. My favorite players in recent memory and they were very celebrated at the state tournament were Heidlbough from Rubgy, Threeirons from Fourwinds, and Camrud from HCV.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:12 pm

scc wrote:The region tournament should be a lot of fun. There are seven teams truly capable of winning at least one game, and the potential for at least one upset is fairly high.

have said this all a long, I'm wondering where people get their insight, although I've been to a gym and have seen every team in R2 play at least once, many of them 2 times a season since the Super Region format was implemented.........

Region 1 has a good crop too!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bounce_32 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:09 pm

packers21 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
bounce_32 wrote:
BasketballKid wrote:
Plinko123 wrote:

Although I do not totally disagree with you, I will say this. My favorite players in recent memory and they were very celebrated at the state tournament were Heidlbough from Rubgy, Threeirons from Fourwinds, and Camrud from HCV.

Heidlbough was able to cover the court. Threeirons was a true post and a good one! Camrud? well BIG pretty much covers it. I agree packers21, all three very fun to watch.
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby B Historian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Larimore had lost 4 of 5 coming into the Thompson game, including losses by a combined 105 points to Four Winds, HCV and Grafton. Larimore hasn't been that good defensively and although Tupa is a nice inside presences, there wasn't much to indicate that this was a team that could compete with the likes of Thompson. That's why they play the games I guess.

As far as Thompson goes, this loss could be a sign of trouble or maybe something that brings the team together and gets it hitting on all cylinders. For the last several years Thompson has had as good of individual play as anyone in the state but it never seems to come together like it should.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Plinko123 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:47 pm

bounce_32 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
bounce_32 wrote:
BasketballKid wrote:
Plinko123 wrote:

Heidlbough was able to cover the court. Threeirons was a true post and a good one! Camrud? well BIG pretty much covers it. I agree packers21, all three very fun to watch.

I think larimore played very well. They seemed to be more we than me compared to what I’ve seen in the past games. They had a little trouble when Thompson pressed then which seems to be the Achilles heel for them. If they can get that figured out. They could upset a team or two.
Plinko123
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:04 pm

She could be the Key to this Win!

"I think any time you play one of those top four teams in our region, its surprising to beat them,'' Larimore coach Jennifer Collison said. "But, on any given night, anything can happen.

"We gained a lot of confidence.''
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:37 pm

winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:The region tournament should be a lot of fun. There are seven teams truly capable of winning at least one game, and the potential for at least one upset is fairly high.

have said this all a long, I'm wondering where people get their insight, although I've been to a gym and have seen every team in R2 play at least once, many of them 2 times a season since the Super Region format was implemented.........

Not sure where you are headed with this comment Winner, but just be careful which tree you are barking up. I would wager scc sees the most Region 2 games of anyone so I would trust his speculation on Region 2 implicitly. Scc has unquestioned cred...
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Hinsa wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Not sure where you are headed with this comment Winner, but just be careful which tree you are barking up. I would wager scc sees the most Region 2 games of anyone so I would trust his speculation on Region 2 implicitly. Scc has unquestioned cred...

Sounds to me like Winner is agreeing with scc, not questioning scc's credibility.
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Fletcher wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Sounds to me like Winner is agreeing with scc, not questioning scc's credibility.

Yes, I believe he is agreeing. I believe this comment is directed to the banter of Thompson and HCV being the only 2 teams that realistically have a chance of winning the region earlier in the season.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:01 pm

OldSchoolBaller wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Yes, I believe he is agreeing. I believe this comment is directed to the banter of Thompson and HCV being the only 2 teams that realistically have a chance of winning the region earlier in the season.

Like I said, I wasn't sure where Winner was headed with the comment. Perhaps I read it wrong. :oops:
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Hinsa wrote:
OldSchoolBaller wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Like I said, I wasn't sure where Winner was headed with the comment. Perhaps I read it wrong. :oops:

you Indeed read it wrong, but what did you think I was implying?

and on a side Note, I know a lot of folks that see many many games and may even be an official, coach or staff etc etc but they might not all see it the same way.....a few posts back I had stated, that I felt there weren't any major gaps between "3 and 4 and even 5" after a post stating "big gap between 2 and 3" (when actually 3 were tied in win losses at the time)........
not tooting my horn, I'm just saying theres talent and skill across the board....theres true basketball players on all teams..some people have blinders and I believe some people couldn't fathom the thought of an equal or a neutral to a favorite.....they want to call them all an "upset"... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys