region 1 thread

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: region 1 thread

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:03 pm

close game into the 4th
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:08 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:close game into the 4th

Enderlin got out to about a 10 pt lead and it was about that the entire game until the 4th when they pushed it to about 20 then the subs came in.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:38 pm

My re-rankings after weeks 1 & 2

1. Richland (won't play a quality team until Hillsboro-CV on 12/27)
2. Enderlin (should be an easy week for Eagles...next quality games are 12/28 & 12/29)
3. Kindred
4. Central Cass
5. Oak Grove (tough first two non-region games...won't get any easier out of region)
6. Tri-State (They'll bounce back when Christensen is healthy)

7. Northern Cass
8. Milnor-North Sargent

9. Lisbon
10. Maple Valley
11. Hankinson (yes I'm aware W-L just beat them...it was the non-region game)
12. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
13. Sargent Central

Week 3 - Region Schedule
Monday, December 17th
Kindred @ Maple Valley
Oak Grove @ Sargent Central
Hankinson @ Enderlin
Milnor-North Sargent @ Northern Cass
Richland @ Lisbon

Thursday, December 20th
Oak Grove @ Central Cass
Kindred @ Tri-State
Enderlin @ Sargent Central
Northern Cass @ Maple Valley
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood @ Milnor-North Sargent
Hankinson @ Lisbon
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lennylive » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:40 pm

packers21 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:close game into the 4th

Enderlin got out to about a 10 pt lead and it was about that the entire game until the 4th when they pushed it to about 20 then the subs came in.

Early in the season..Lots of room for improvement. Started out with a T on Eagles for a dunk during warmup giving the ball to Lisbon ..missed freethrow..but made a 3 on possession. Then Eagles took good control... 10-12 pt lead throught the 2nd half largest lead was 17, got close a few times..down to 3 I believe. Broncos best player Oland got in foul trouble early and fouled out late I beleve..and Big guy Holmstrom fouled out. Eagles had 2 in double figures..Bye had 26 pts , Joe Hurlburt had 16..5 others scoring. Shot 42% from field, 87% from the line... Wont have a true test until they play EKM on 12/29... hopefully by then they will be over the jitters and hitting on all cylinders.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Here's a long term prediction in Region 1: Central Cass will be a top contender for next 6 years or so. Some nice young talent coming through the lower grades to assist current young varsity talent.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Here's a long term prediction in Region 1: Central Cass will be a top contender for next 6 years or so. Some nice young talent coming through the lower grades to assist current young varsity talent.

Agreed, but they should compete every year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Magic74 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:43 am

I saw Enderlin play Kidder County at Jamestown Jamboree yesterday (Friday). Enderlin won by 20. They have a nice team with the 2 Hurlburts inside (6-10 and 6-8) and Bye at the guard who has stretched up to about 6-2 and is a smooth ball handler and shooter. Those 3 were all in double figures. Nice pieces around these 3 to compliment them. Tonight Enderlin meets Edgeley Kulm which should be a good test for both teams.
Magic74
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lennylive » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:37 am

Magic74 wrote:I saw Enderlin play Kidder County at Jamestown Jamboree yesterday (Friday). Enderlin won by 20. They have a nice team with the 2 Hurlburts inside (6-10 and 6-8) and Bye at the guard who has stretched up to about 6-2 and is a smooth ball handler and shooter. Those 3 were all in double figures. Nice pieces around these 3 to compliment them. Tonight Enderlin meets Edgeley Kulm which should be a good test for both teams.

Just wondering if you went to the EKM vs Enderlin Game?...was it close throughout?... how did Eagles stackup/play against EKM?..
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:07 pm

lennylive wrote:
Magic74 wrote:I saw Enderlin play Kidder County at Jamestown Jamboree yesterday (Friday). Enderlin won by 20. They have a nice team with the 2 Hurlburts inside (6-10 and 6-8) and Bye at the guard who has stretched up to about 6-2 and is a smooth ball handler and shooter. Those 3 were all in double figures. Nice pieces around these 3 to compliment them. Tonight Enderlin meets Edgeley Kulm which should be a good test for both teams.

Just wondering if you went to the EKM vs Enderlin Game?...was it close throughout?... how did Eagles stackup/play against EKM?..

Was a close game throughout. EKM played some great physical full-court defense and has a deep bench. Enderlin shooter couldn’t make a shot from outside and IMO bye tried to do a bit to much, JH played tough. Good game to watch. Nice win for EKM, not a fan of good losses but I think that’s what it will be for Enderlin.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:16 am

lennylive wrote:

Park Christian beat kidder county by ten, wouldn't put much stock on Kidder county game if that was the case
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 am

hoophoophoop wrote:
lennylive wrote:

Park Christian beat kidder county by ten, wouldn't put much stock on Kidder county game if that was the case

Hey Hoop. I would love to hear ur always unbias opinion on the HCV/Richland game.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Was a great game by both, Richland was up by 14 at half,HCV plays really hard defense and defends the hoop really well, certain player from HCV does seem to get more calls then a normal kid but no excuses, Richland missed about 5 or 6 bunnies in the 3rd or it could have been a double digit game for Richland. Pass your specifications.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:15 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Was a great game by both, Richland was up by 14 at half,HCV plays really hard defense and defends the hoop really well, certain player from HCV does seem to get more calls then a normal kid but no excuses, Richland missed about 5 or 6 bunnies in the 3rd or it could have been a double digit game for Richland. Pass your specifications.

I wasn’t at the game nor have I seen it. Before the game if I woul had to pick a winner It would of been richland but HCV just knows how to win the tight ones.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:20 pm

had a wide open ten footer win the game and well you know how that went, Ya once a winner always a winner seems like, very solid program.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND Sports Fan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Here's a long term prediction in Region 1: Central Cass will be a top contender for next 6 years or so. Some nice young talent coming through the lower grades to assist current young varsity talent.

Generally agree, however, talent is not enough. On a previous post, someone on this board talked about Central Cass not playing a "winning style of basketball". That may still be a limiting factor for this program. They need to "learn to win", and this comes with developing a program over the long haul. Developing a winning philosophy, a program with pride, clear expectations, and focus on improvement and success. Look at what Coach Card has done at Oak Grove. They may be struggling currently, but does anybody believe that by season's end they won't be right in the mix? So much of this comes from an established culture of success. That is a winning culture. Central Cass has a crop of very talented athletes coming through the basketball program, can they win in spite of their culture? Maybe a better question is, are they willing to change their culture to maximize their talent? Winning is not an accident, unfortunately, neither is losing. Talent comes and goes, culture and tradition live forever, both good and bad.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:46 am

ND Sports Fan wrote:

Generally agree, however, talent is not enough. On a previous post, someone on this board talked about Central Cass not playing a "winning style of basketball". That may still be a limiting factor for this program. They need to "learn to win", and this comes with developing a program over the long haul. Developing a winning philosophy, a program with pride, clear expectations, and focus on improvement and success. Look at what Coach Card has done at Oak Grove. They may be struggling currently, but does anybody believe that by season's end they won't be right in the mix? So much of this comes from an established culture of success. That is a winning culture. Central Cass has a crop of very talented athletes coming through the basketball program, can they win in spite of their culture? Maybe a better question is, are they willing to change their culture to maximize their talent? Winning is not an accident, unfortunately, neither is losing. Talent comes and goes, culture and tradition live forever, both good and bad.

Great post. Some observations:
1. Yes, Oak Grove will be there at the end of the year, like every year.
2. To add to your thoughts on program success, or lack there of: Sometimes it takes younger teams who have traveled together and performed at a high level to change the culture of the older programs. With that being said, the transition from programs outside "high school" to high school JV and Varsity programs is not always without problems. Parents who have been very involved with their children on traveling teams, etc. have to be willing to turn over the reins to the new coaches which isn't always easy. And as you have stated, those coaches also have to be able to mold their programs around the talent they have coming into their programs. Always interesting dynamics to consider. Have watched it happen at very high level but of course not without some bumps in the road. Fortunately, we had a good skipper to guide the ship.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:29 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Was a great game by both, Richland was up by 14 at half,HCV plays really hard defense and defends the hoop really well, certain player from HCV does seem to get more calls then a normal kid but no excuses, Richland missed about 5 or 6 bunnies in the 3rd or it could have been a double digit game for Richland. Pass your specifications.

No excuses but who ever plays HCV better know that yes.... he will get all the calls... I don't understand how when the offensive player is making all the contact with the defense that all the calls go his way.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

No excuses but who ever plays HCV better know that yes.... he will get all the calls... I don't understand how when the offensive player is making all the contact with the defense that all the calls go his way.

Said player gets away with extending his off-arm a lot...but you can get charge calls on him just have to stand your ground outside the arc and brace for solid contact.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 am

what happen to Enderlin the other night, Richland didn't play very well against Lamoure either.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:what happen to Enderlin the other night, Richland didn't play very well against Lamoure either.

Well I guess Enderlin will have two losses on the year when they win state. That is all that means. :shock:
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:34 pm

Was just wondering if they were missing anyone or were just off that night
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:05 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Was just wondering if they were missing anyone or were just off that night

Off night...everyone will have a few of those this year
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lennylive » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:what happen to Enderlin the other night, Richland didn't play very well against Lamoure either.

Well I guess Enderlin will have two losses on the year when they win state. That is all that means. :shock:

WOW.. LOL.. somebody is a wee bit sarcastic...but that would be Fantastic !!

Im going to give the Eagles the benefit of the doubt and say they have had a few bad nights of shooting...according to stats reports on MaxPreps.. Not taking anything away from the EKM team..from what I hear it was a good game, and EKM has a few boys that stand as tall as Enderlins twin towers(who are young)…
just a who beats who here( which never makes for a good scale to go by)..Enderlin beat Kidder Co by 20..EKM beat Kidder Co by 14 then Kidder Co turns and beats EKM by 16...EKM beats Eagles by 8... as far as Eagles loosing to Hatton(Region 2 is TOUGH)..????… I wasn't there...anyone can be beat on any given night..a poor night from the field,foul trouble a few to many turnovers makes a difference in anyones game... as far as Richland game vs Lamoure..probably the same scenario..but they won..just not by the spread everyone anticipated I am guessing
If Enderlin plays well, and Lamoure does the same... they will play for the BCT championship this wknd..should be a great matchup..but they each have to win 2 to get there..they match up a few weeks later
A win/lose record means nothing .. but playing tough against tough teams makes for a better team when it counts come Tourney Time
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:56 pm

lennylive wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Im going to give the Eagles the benefit of the doubt and say they have had a few bad nights of shooting...according to stats reports on MaxPreps.. Not taking anything away from the EKM team..from what I hear it was a good game, and EKM has a few boys that stand as tall as Enderlins twin towers(who are young)…
just a who beats who here( which never makes for a good scale to go by)..Enderlin beat Kidder Co by 20..EKM beat Kidder Co by 14 then Kidder Co turns and beats EKM by 16...EKM beats Eagles by 8... as far as Eagles loosing to Hatton(Region 2 is TOUGH)..????… I wasn't there...anyone can be beat on any given night..a poor night from the field,foul trouble a few to many turnovers makes a difference in anyones game... as far as Richland game vs Lamoure..probably the same scenario..but they won..just not by the spread everyone anticipated I am guessing
If Enderlin plays well, and Lamoure does the same... they will play for the BCT championship this wknd..should be a great matchup..but they each have to win 2 to get there..they match up a few weeks later
A win/lose record means nothing .. but playing tough against tough teams makes for a better team when it counts come Tourney Time

Yes a little.
I saw Kindred play as well and they have come together and playing well. They won't put up alot of points but they defend and rebound. They have 6'7 and 6'8 and Roland is strong. Good luck pushing him around. I was surprise as how well they ran as well. Outside shooting is a problem but they can hit some to make a difference. They play EKM this week.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby lennylive » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:32 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
lennylive wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Yes a little.
I saw Kindred play as well and they have come together and playing well. They won't put up alot of points but they defend and rebound. They have 6'7 and 6'8 and Roland is strong. Good luck pushing him around. I was surprise as how well they ran as well. Outside shooting is a problem but they can hit some to make a difference. They play EKM this week.[/quota

Defending and rebounding makes up for not so good shooting..as of right now I say it is anyones game ..3 teams probably have the upper edge..Kindred,Richland,Enderlin..CC is showing some promise also..just going from scores and stats..they could be contenders...I see Kindred has EKM coming up...Should be a good game to watch

I think Region 1 is down on talent all around..Region 2 seems to be a bit stronger again .Region 3 has hung in there also in out of REgion Games... almost halfway through the season... things are gonna change once everyone starts playing within their own Region ... Always a fun season when there isnt a true dominate team
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys