Region 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2

Postby Big Blue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:53 pm

What is everybody's thoughts on Region 2 this year? I think Thompson is the overwhelming favorite with their experience and some talented underclassmen. They have the mix of size and speed that many programs in ND are envious of.
After that, I tend to think there are four teams battling for those second-fifth spots. Hillsboro-Central Valley and Grafton have some important pieces of the puzzle back from very successful teams last year. But, both lost a lot. I believe Cavalier and Park River/Fordville-Lankin both return strong cores and could be poised to be near the top of the region.
After that, things will be interesting. You have last year's bottom dwellers, who were all very young. Teams like Griggs, DVE, North Border and FSHP who return a lot from last year. Any of these teams going to rise quickly from last year's finish in the standings? Then you have Midway-Minto, May-Port CG, Hatton-Northwood and Larimore who were pretty competitive during the 2017-2018 seasons. Each return good players, but have lost key parts as well. Will they continue to compete at a pretty high level or drop a bit.
What do you guys think?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Region 2

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Pretty hard for anyone to call Thompson the overwhelming favorite. Schwabe will out an extended period and hes the engine that makes them go, if he comes back the same player they will be in contention. I think region 2 is a 4 team race. HCV, Thom, Cav and Grafton will all beat up on each other. Seeding will be very important. Teams like DVE, HN, PRFL, and MM have the ablity to knock one of the top tier teams on any given night but I do not think they have the ability to beat a couple of them in the regional tournament.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:37 pm

packers21 wrote:Pretty hard for anyone to call Thompson the overwhelming favorite. Schwabe will out an extended period and hes the engine that makes them go, if he comes back the same player they will be in contention. I think region 2 is a 4 team race. HCV, Thom, Cav and Grafton will all beat up on each other. Seeding will be very important. Teams like DVE, HN, PRFL, and MM have the ablity to knock one of the top tier teams on any given night but I do not think they have the ability to beat a couple of them in the regional tournament.

Not hard for me at all to be honest. I think with Schwabe at tournament time, Thompson will be head and shoulders the top team. They will be very high, if not at the very top, without him. Once he gets back, they should roll.
Hughes is a heck of a point guard and I think we will see them slow things down. With 6-6, 6-6 and 6-5, they will be able to score inside against pretty much everyone in region 2.
I also think PRFL will be in the mix. And I would add North Border to that second tier. Greendahl impressed me a lot last season. They were very competitive down the stretch last year.
At the end of the day, I think the battle near the top and middle will be interesting. But, I think Thompson will be the best team by a large margin down the stretch.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:Pretty hard for anyone to call Thompson the overwhelming favorite. Schwabe will out an extended period and hes the engine that makes them go, if he comes back the same player they will be in contention. I think region 2 is a 4 team race. HCV, Thom, Cav and Grafton will all beat up on each other. Seeding will be very important. Teams like DVE, HN, PRFL, and MM have the ablity to knock one of the top tier teams on any given night but I do not think they have the ability to beat a couple of them in the regional tournament.

Not hard for me at all to be honest. I think with Schwabe at tournament time, Thompson will be head and shoulders the top team. They will be very high, if not at the very top, without him. Once he gets back, they should roll.
Hughes is a heck of a point guard and I think we will see them slow things down. With 6-6, 6-6 and 6-5, they will be able to score inside against pretty much everyone in region 2.
I also think PRFL will be in the mix. And I would add North Border to that second tier. Greendahl impressed me a lot last season. They were very competitive down the stretch last year.
At the end of the day, I think the battle near the top and middle will be interesting. But, I think Thompson will be the best team by a large margin down the stretch.

They're better at Football :wink:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 pm

I actually tend to think baseball is their best sport.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Big Blue wrote:

If I had to pick a fav it would be Thomp. and that's only if Schwabe is right. Why the heck would they slow it down? Its not like their bigs are bangers down low?! Danner is but the other two are better slashers and rim attackers. Grafton, HCV, Cav, and PRFL all have the size to match up with them and Grafton and PRFL are much more physical teams if Thomp tried to bang it down low and slow it down against them it would be a mistake.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:09 am

Big blue and packers21, I think you are both right, and wrong. I think Thompson is a clear number one. That doesn't mean that they can't get beat. But any loss they take in the region, to me would be an upset. But, it would be a huge mistake for them to try playing slow. It would allow teams to stay in games. Why would you ever want to do that big blue?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:18 pm

By saying I think we will see them slow things down, I was just noting that without schwabe they may do a little pressing and won't be as much of a full court up-and-down team as they have been in the past. I still think they will be aggressive and play uptempo, but will have more of a half-court attack than we have seen in the past. In no way do I think they will or should play slow.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby airmail » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 am

Biggest differences that will help Thompson come out of the region:

1. Graduation of the 2018 class, letting true guards and posts from this year's junior class step into bigger roles. No disrespect to these talented athletes, but they were in-between players who were good at both positions but not overpowering at either. Now you add two talented guards and two 6-6 post players into the regular rotation to complement the senior class.

2. Dave Wheeler on the bench.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby RockNRoll » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:58 pm

How was the Thompson vs Langdon game?
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Blue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:25 pm

airmail wrote:Biggest differences that will help Thompson come out of the region:

1. Graduation of the 2018 class, letting true guards and posts from this year's junior class step into bigger roles. No disrespect to these talented athletes, but they were in-between players who were good at both positions but not overpowering at either. Now you add two talented guards and two 6-6 post players into the regular rotation to complement the senior class.

I actually thought Hegg was one of the top players in the region last year, but wasn't a great fit in their system. Their current big men fit much better. I think Thompson has an excellent mix of players that compliment each other well this season. It's interesting that both the Tommie football (Carpenter) and basketball added extremely experienced former head coaches as assistants this year. Wheeler brings a lot of experience to the staff.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 pm

RockNRoll wrote:How was the Thompson vs Langdon game?

Thompson rocked and rolled them
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Big Blue wrote:
airmail wrote:Biggest differences that will help Thompson come out of the region:

I actually thought Hegg was one of the top players in the region last year, but wasn't a great fit in their system. Their current big men fit much better. I think Thompson has an excellent mix of players that compliment each other well this season. It's interesting that both the Tommie football (Carpenter) and basketball added extremely experienced former head coaches as assistants this year. Wheeler brings a lot of experience to the staff.

Why don't you think Hegg fit in....I'm certain he led them in Rebounds...doesn't that help one fit in?
you talk a lot of smack
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:47 pm

winner-within wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

Why don't you think Hegg fit in....I'm certain he led them in Rebounds...doesn't that help one fit in?
you talk a lot of smack

Didn't realize calling a kid one of the best players in the region was talking smack... I personally just thought he would have benefited by playing in more of a slow down offense. I think he was a very good player and Thompson played the style they needed to given their quickness and talent at the guard position. Not taking shots at anyone.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I didn't say you were taking any shots.... your style of verbiage and description seems smackish (all over the place, yet focused on one program)

also, Thompson Hiring Coaches? not surprising....there is an extreme focus on Sports there, I would dare bet there are some Boards and some Sups that would limit spending in comparison to others, depending on a lot of variables that factor into budget..
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby thewwwebb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Thompson hired Wheeler as their Elementary Principal several years ago, not to be a coach. However, utilizing someone with his expertise/experience would only make sense when they had an opening for an Assistant coach. Given that, their Board/Superintendent are not laying out any extra cash to have him as a coach.
thewwwebb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:17 pm

A couple big games in Region 2 this Friday.
HCV hosts Thompson and Park River travels to Cavalier.
Anybody have thoughts on these two matchups?
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Fletcher wrote:A couple big games in Region 2 this Friday.
HCV hosts Thompson and Park River travels to Cavalier.
Anybody have thoughts on these two matchups?

Ill go with Thompson by 8 in HCV. Not sure both Zav. brothers are playing for PRFL. If they are Cav win by 10 if only one is playing ill take Cav by 20 plus.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bounce_32 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Sorry to report but Adam Zav. will not be playing this Fri against Cavalier due to a torn Meniscus
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rivershark » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:01 pm

bounce_32 wrote:Sorry to report but Adam Zav. will not be playing this Fri against Cavalier due to a torn Meniscus

Where did you get that information from?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Fletcher » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:46 am

If one of the Zavalney kids is out that will definitely hurt PRFL. But I thought PRFL vs Cav would be closer than 20 even with one of those kids out. Maybe I'm underestimating Cavalier?
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rivershark » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Rivershark wrote:
bounce_32 wrote:Sorry to report but Adam Zav. will not be playing this Fri against Cavalier due to a torn Meniscus

The point that I'm trying to make is that a Cavalier parent happen to run into Adam leaving the clinic in crutches and visited with him. Before Adam could even get home, somebody took it upon themself to post the details of his injury. Whether or not this was the same person, I think we need to slow down and ask our self, are we doing the right thing by posting this information? I think your post should have read "Sorry I'm so stupid to report this."
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Rivershark wrote:
Rivershark wrote:

The point that I'm trying to make is that a Cavalier parent happen to run into Adam leaving the clinic in crutches and visited with him. Before Adam could even get home, somebody took it upon themself to post the details of his injury. Whether or not this was the same person, I think we need to slow down and ask our self, are we doing the right thing by posting this information? I think your post should have read "Sorry I'm so stupid to report this."

Injuries have always been talked about on here and in this day and age everyone knows right away anyways, don’t see anything wrong with it at all.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Rivershark » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:36 pm

packers21 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Rivershark wrote:

Injuries have always been talked about on here and in this day and age everyone knows right away anyways, don’t see anything wrong with it at all.

You are WRONG. Everyone did not know the exact diagnosis right away. Only his parents and the individual from Cavalier.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Rivershark wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Rivershark wrote:

You are WRONG. Everyone did not know the exact diagnosis right away. Only his parents and the individual from Cavalier.

Like I said before doesn't seem like something to get worked up over, hope for a quick recovery for him. I'd take a hard nosed kid like that on my team any day.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys