2018 Playoff Bracket

The teams in Class A

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Barfly » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Any Private School should be a class AA. They are drawing their kids from a huge population. If you hand pick your kids you will always get the best of the Area. Finally Shanley is moving up until they get kicked for a few years and then they will move back to AA. By the way.. I googled population of some the schools moving up. Kindred 727 people, Beulah 3226, Hazen 2372, 1592 for Hillsboro, Rugby 2730, Langdon 1738, Velva 1248.
Now some of the teams have to deal with towns of 6000 plus.
I know Kindred gets most of their kids for 15 mile area but still.... these are what we are calling big schools that need to move up to AA.

I agree. Here are the populations of other “small towns” that are fielding A, and or AA teams the next two years.

Minot. 47822
Dickinson 22186
Bismarck 72865
Fargo. 122350
Barfly
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Any Private School should be a class AA. They are drawing their kids from a huge population. If you hand pick your kids you will always get the best of the Area. Finally Shanley is moving up until they get kicked for a few years and then they will move back to AA. By the way.. I googled population of some the schools moving up. Kindred 727 people, Beulah 3226, Hazen 2372, 1592 for Hillsboro, Rugby 2730, Langdon 1738, Velva 1248.
I know Kindred gets most of their kids for 15 mile area but still.... these are what we are calling big schools that need to move up to AA.

You guys kill me each year with this private school bias.

So, since you said all private schools should be in 2A, because they "pull" from a huge population and another mentioned that they get the players that they want, what happened with Oak Grove and Park Christian (MN)?
Since they just have the kids lined up waiting to play football at these schools, why haven't they just run through their regions/divisions?

How many other Fall sports do those other schools have, namely Kindred, since they were mentioned?

What other fall activities do they have? You think kids are signing up for Oak Grove because they just can't wait to play football? What have been their participation numbers over the past 5 years?

And who does the free/reduced lunch factor help when calculating the number of boys in a 7th thru 10th grade sample? It's got to be those private schools that just have kids lined up to play football there?

Public schools get the advantage of the free and reduced lunch kicker, hardly any other fall activities to compete with football(9 man/1A level), so any kid who wants to participate in a fall sport is playing football.

If a school has 50 boys, and 20 of them get free/reduced lunch, that doesn't change the fact that those 50 boys can still participate in football, they didn't just suddenly disappear or aren't allowed to play now. 50 boys are 50 boys, plain and simple. If you want to start factoring in variables, factor in foreign exchange/international students. Make them a half of a kid like they do for free/reduced lunch kids. I think we can all agree that a kid from China is less likely to play football vs a kid who gets free and reduced lunch.

Shanley is going up to 3A.. Bishop Minot Ryan is opting up to 1A... St Mary's is playing the the 2A level.. Oak Grove's roster size looks like one of a 9 man team, but they are playing 1A..(if I'm not mistaken, they have the highest tuition of all of the schools, so I'm sure parents are lining up to pay those fees)

Get over the private school bias.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Private schools can have athletes from other class A or B schools' districts, if they wish. Shanley can have athletes from Minnesota. Not allowed for the rest of us. I think much of the "recruiting" within the privates is done by the parents. I've seen it. Also, years ago, an official at a private school said 'we never know what we're going to get until the big public schools make their cuts.'
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 pm

leroybla wrote:Private schools can have athletes from other class A or B schools' districts, if they wish. Shanley can have athletes from Minnesota. Not allowed for the rest of us. I think much of the "recruiting" within the privates is done by the parents. I've seen it. Also, years ago, an official at a private school said 'we never know what we're going to get until the big public schools make their cuts.'

the kids that get cut wouldn't be eligible for varsity competition.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfootball4444 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 am

Kindred @ LANGDON-Going to be a good one. Langdon at home in a close one but could go either way.

Velva @ BOWMAN COUNTY-Bowman gets the win at home. Velva keeps it close but Bowman has depth on both sides the ball and very good defense which they rely on. Bowman's offense has to get going and they will be fine.

Milnor @ HILLSBORO-Hillsboro keeps rolling.

Beulah @ DICKINSON TRINITY-This could go either way. Trinity has to play physical, be balanced on offense and get an early lead. These teams know each other all to well but who wants it more. You cant give Beulah short field.
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:02 am

Ahh.. I figured the "recruiting" angle would rear its ugly head.

You don't think public schools recruit as well? You don't think that Davies suggested that some families move to a certain area so that they could be in their school zone?

Recruiting of kids happens for all sports at all age levels, and I've seen it in public and private schools. When kids are in 8th grade, there are parents/coaches/etc recruiting kids, because of the open enrollment, the major problem with the private school bias is that when private schools reach out, they also have to convince that family to shell out anywhere from 6 to 10k a year over a 4 year timespan.
Are you going to shell out that $$$ when you have a free option right there?

Majority of families that I know that put their kids in a private school do it for class size and opportunities. Opportunities for their kids to play, and a class size that is more conducive for their son/daughter to have the best learning experience.
I've also seen them put their kids into private schools because their kids have special learning needs that are provided with that smaller class and specialization that can happen at a smaller private school.
Theater is BIG at these schools, and I know of families that have moved their kids to private schools for that reason alone.

Are their some that put their kids in private schools solely based on sports? Absolutely.
But you can't tell me that their isn't just about the same amount of parent $$$ flowing through Davies & Sheyenne, as their is flowing through Shanley, Oak Grove & Park Christian.

leroybla wrote:Private schools can have athletes from other class A or B schools' districts, if they wish. Shanley can have athletes from Minnesota. Not allowed for the rest of us. I think much of the "recruiting" within the privates is done by the parents. I've seen it. Also, years ago, an official at a private school said 'we never know what we're going to get until the big public schools make their cuts.'
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 am

To keep with the actual reason for this thread. (Sorry for the hijack)

Hillsboro
Langdon
Velma
Beulah
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 am

magic man wrote:Ahh.. I figured the "recruiting" angle would rear its ugly head.

You don't think public schools recruit as well? You don't think that Davies suggested that some families move to a certain area so that they could be in their school zone?

Recruiting of kids happens for all sports at all age levels, and I've seen it in public and private schools. When kids are in 8th grade, there are parents/coaches/etc recruiting kids, because of the open enrollment, the major problem with the private school bias is that when private schools reach out, they also have to convince that family to shell out anywhere from 6 to 10k a year over a 4 year timespan.

Majority of families that I know that put their kids in a private school do it for class size and opportunities. Opportunities for their kids to play, and a class size that is more conducive for their son/daughter to have the best learning experience.
I've also seen them put their kids into private schools because their kids have special learning needs that are provided with that smaller class and specialization that can happen at a smaller private school.
Theater is BIG at these schools, and I know of families that have moved their kids to private schools for that reason alone.

Are their some that put their kids in private schools solely based on sports? Absolutely.
But you can't tell me that their isn't just about the same amount of parent $$$ flowing through Davies & Sheyenne, as their is flowing through Shanley, Oak Grove & Park Christian.

Just one more thing on this.... So poor Oak Grove is not a State Champion in Football every few years so we need to feel bad for them. That is what class B deals with all the time. Second... you know many kids get scholarships to go to private school.. when they are 6'5 and can play basketball.

Now...
H/CV
Kindred
Velva
Beulah
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am

I believe this is the biggest complaint about Private Schools - they can draw kids from any where. A number of states have in their by-laws something to the effect that any school without defined boundaries (school district) has to play in the middle or upper division for extracurricular activities. Keep in mind that these states all have at least 3 classes for all extracurricular activities as well and most of the private schools are in the middle divisions with a few in the upper divisions. At least one state has a separate division just for Privates which to me is pretty drastic.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 am

maddog1971 wrote:
magic man wrote:Ahh.. I figured the "recruiting" angle would rear its ugly head.

Just one more thing on this.... So poor Oak Grove is not a State Champion in Football every few years so we need to feel bad for them. That is what class B deals with all the time. Second... you know many kids get scholarships to go to private school.. when they are 6'5 and can play basketball.

Zero. And academic or music scholarships that are usually available are for $500 (at least @ my connected parochial school). Do some families get financial aid...of course but it’s no where near a ‘free ride’...if someone is telling you that it is they are sadly misinformed.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 am

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/high ... ba428.html

I'm sorry that this topic has been hijacked but I'm just going to leave this here. This COULD NEVER HAPPEN at a public class B high school. I'm sure the fact that he was 6'5" and extremely athletic had zero to do with him being helped by "Friends of Shiloh".
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:56 am

The Schwab wrote:https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/high-school/ogbu-settling-in-at-shiloh/article_dad54392-c1a6-54a4-b6b9-ad1a463ba428.html

I'm sorry that this topic has been hijacked but I'm just going to leave this here. This COULD NEVER HAPPEN at a public class B high school. I'm sure the fact that he was 6'5" and extremely athletic had zero to do with him being helped by "Friends of Shiloh".

I can only speak to the private school that I am connected with...so I cannot speak to the other parochial schools. This topic got hijacked so long ago...just trying to clear a few things up. I enjoy those who message me to ask questions they'd like to know. I enjoy building some knowledge up on this subject...I know I can't change anyone's mind on it but 'Knowledge is Power'...even if just a little.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sniper » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 am

The Schwab wrote:https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/high-school/ogbu-settling-in-at-shiloh/article_dad54392-c1a6-54a4-b6b9-ad1a463ba428.html

I wonder if "Friends of Shiloh" has helped any of their other transfer students out in recent years
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic man » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Did anyone even say a thing about Oak Grove being in a championship? Grasping for straws now.

Bottom line is that if you or anyone else wants to complain about private schools having some kind of unfair advantage, while not talking about the advantages that is given to public schools, then you yourself are being biased.

Just one more thing on this.... So poor Oak Grove is not a State Champion in Football every few years so we need to feel bad for them That is what class B deals with all the time. Second... you know many kids get scholarships to go to private school.. when they are 6'5 and can play basketball.
Last edited by magic man on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 pm

magic man wrote:Did anyone even say a thing about Oak Grove being in a championship? Grasping for straws now.

Bottom line is that if you or anyone else wants to complain about private schools having some kind of unfair advantage, while not talking about the advantages that is given to public schools, then you yourself are being biased.

Just one more thing on this.... So poor Oak Grove is not a State Champion in Football every few years so we need to feel bad for them That is what class B deals with all the time. Second... you know many kids get scholarships to go to private school.. when they are 6'5 and can play basketball.
[/quote]

Buddy put down the cool-aid
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby JMHS » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 pm

What happened to Carrington this year? Based upon last year’s success and returning players, I’m surprised they lost out in the first round of the playoffs.
JMHS
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:20 pm

JMHS wrote:What happened to Carrington this year? Based upon last year’s success and returning players, I’m surprised they lost out in the first round of the playoffs.

Heard injuries played a key role in this season's struggles...but that is a key factor to the success at the 9-man & Class A level where there is less depth.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby JMHS » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
JMHS wrote:What happened to Carrington this year? Based upon last year’s success and returning players, I’m surprised they lost out in the first round of the playoffs.

Heard injuries played a key role in this season's struggles...but that is a key factor to the success at the 9-man & Class A level where there is less depth.

I agree. Any injury is tough for smaller programs to deal with. Injuries to key players can be devastating. Thanks for the info.
JMHS
NDPreps Starter

Postby 5-time state chump » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:51 pm

maddog1971 wrote: By the way.. I googled population of some the schools moving up. Kindred 727 people, Beulah 3226, Hazen 2372, 1592 for Hillsboro, Rugby 2730, Langdon 1738, Velva 1248.

Sooooooo....what ya thinkin'?

Maybe put put 30 or so schools of the same population in Class A, 30 more of similar population in Class AA, and 30 or so with the same population in Class AAA?

I'm curious how'd you lay it out, so that it "makes sense" and everyone has plenty of schools or cites their "own size" to play.

Go.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sniper » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 am

Saturday, October 27th
G9: 1-2 Kindred (7-2) @ 2-1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich (9-0)
G10: 3-2 (RV) Velva (8-1) @ 4-1 (4) Bowman County (9-0)
G11: 1-3 Milnor-North Sargent (7-2) @ 1-1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley (9-0)
G12: 4-4 Beulah (7-3) @ 4-2 (RV) Dickinson (7-1)
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:44 am

magic man wrote:Did anyone even say a thing about Oak Grove being in a championship? Grasping for straws now.

[/quote]

I myself don't have any problem with the private schools of Fargo Shanley or Bismarck St. Mary's when it comes to any sports or even for Dickinson Trinity, Fargo Oak Grove or Minot Bishop Ryan when it comes to football, or any private school that doesn't compete in the smallest class for their sport. What advantages do public class B schools have over private class B schools?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:56 am

magic man wrote:

So, since you said all private schools should be in 2A, because they "pull" from a huge population and another mentioned that they get the players that they want, what happened with Oak Grove and Park Christian (MN)?
Since they just have the kids lined up waiting to play football at these schools, why haven't they just run through their regions/divisions?

How many other Fall sports do those other schools have, namely Kindred, since they were mentioned?

What other fall activities do they have? You think kids are signing up for Oak Grove because they just can't wait to play football? What have been their participation numbers over the past 5 years?

And who does the free/reduced lunch factor help when calculating the number of boys in a 7th thru 10th grade sample? It's got to be those private schools that just have kids lined up to play football there?

Public schools get the advantage of the free and reduced lunch kicker, hardly any other fall activities to compete with football(9 man/1A level), so any kid who wants to participate in a fall sport is playing football.

If a school has 50 boys, and 20 of them get free/reduced lunch, that doesn't change the fact that those 50 boys can still participate in football, they didn't just suddenly disappear or aren't allowed to play now. 50 boys are 50 boys, plain and simple. If you want to start factoring in variables, factor in foreign exchange/international students. Make them a half of a kid like they do for free/reduced lunch kids. I think we can all agree that a kid from China is less likely to play football vs a kid who gets free and reduced lunch.

Shanley is going up to 3A.. Bishop Minot Ryan is opting up to 1A... St Mary's is playing the the 2A level.. Oak Grove's roster size looks like one of a 9 man team, but they are playing 1A..(if I'm not mistaken, they have the highest tuition of all of the schools, so I'm sure parents are lining up to pay those fees)

Well I ND Private Schools must be different than the rest of the United States.... Look at the Top 20 High School football(basketball) programs in the Nation... Private Schools! All these really great athletes must really be good singers or actors or have really rich parents.. :shock:
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic man » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:54 am

The Schwab wrote:

I myself don't have any problem with the private schools of Fargo Shanley or Bismarck St. Mary's when it comes to any sports or even for Dickinson Trinity, Fargo Oak Grove or Minot Bishop Ryan when it comes to football, or any private school that doesn't compete in the smallest class for their sport. What advantages do public class B schools have over private class B schools?

IMO, the biggest thing that comes to mind is the reduction of the class size based free & reduced lunch. I'm of the opinion that a kid is a kid.. Just because he gets a discounted/free lunch, does not mean he can't play football. Why do I say this is an advantage to the public schools vs private? Just look at the numbers. Generally speaking, the percentage of reduction for public vs private isn't even close. This was seemingly set up to go against private schools, because it sure doesn't help give them any help. It becomes even more of an advantage when you don't take a deeper look at the numbers (speaking from a private school perspective).

How many of those male students are foreign exchange/international students? If anything, those kids should be looked at like the free/reduced lunch kids are. More than likely, those kids aren't playing football (which is what I have heard regarding the free/reduced lunch kids).
How many other sports are drawing these kids away from football in the fall? I know of a few class B/public schools that don't have any other fall sports that can pull kids away from playing football. So if a kid wants to play a sport in the fall, they only have one choice, and having that kid on the roster, helps.. Practice, drills, etc..

You don't have to pay for public school. I've heard some comment, "rich families can send their kids to camps, etc to get better." Yes, that is true, but the part that most are failing to realize is that there are some so called, "rich kids" that don't have that drive to want to do that, so even if they have that opportunity to do so, there are some that won't take advantage of it. Also, because they could be a little more financially "well off" than others, they pick up other interests. Theater, arts, etc.
If you really think about it, football is not a "rich kids" sport. Not saying that kids with money can't play football, but I'd guess there is a higher percentage of kids that come from low income, "free/reduced" lunch families, than there are kids that are well off.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:00 am

maddog1971 wrote:
magic man wrote:

Well I ND Private Schools must be different than the rest of the United States.... Look at the Top 20 High School football(basketball) programs in the Nation... Private Schools! All these really great athletes must really be good singers or actors or have really rich parents.. :shock:

You have a better argument about basketball, and other sports in that regard, but we're talking football. which I would argue that premise. There are some private schools around the country that recruit the athletes to come play for them, but I'd argue against that same thing happens in ND.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:11 am

magic man wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

IMO, the biggest thing that comes to mind is the reduction of the class size based free & reduced lunch. I'm of the opinion that a kid is a kid.. Just because he gets a discounted/free lunch, does not mean he can't play football. Why do I say this is an advantage to the public schools vs private? Just look at the numbers. Generally speaking, the percentage of reduction for public vs private isn't even close. This was seemingly set up to go against private schools, because it sure doesn't help give them any help. It becomes even more of an advantage when you don't take a deeper look at the numbers (speaking from a private school perspective).

How many of those male students are foreign exchange/international students? If anything, those kids should be looked at like the free/reduced lunch kids are. More than likely, those kids aren't playing football (which is what I have heard regarding the free/reduced lunch kids).
How many other sports are drawing these kids away from football in the fall? I know of a few class B/public schools that don't have any other fall sports that can pull kids away from playing football. So if a kid wants to play a sport in the fall, they only have one choice, and having that kid on the roster, helps.. Practice, drills, etc..

You don't have to pay for public school. I've heard some comment, "rich families can send their kids to camps, etc to get better." Yes, that is true, but the part that most are failing to realize is that there are some so called, "rich kids" that don't have that drive to want to do that, so even if they have that opportunity to do so, there are some that won't take advantage of it. Also, because they could be a little more financially "well off" than others, they pick up other interests. Theater, arts, etc.
If you really think about it, football is not a "rich kids" sport. Not saying that kids with money can't play football, but I'd guess there is a higher percentage of kids that come from low income, "free/reduced" lunch families, than there are kids that are well off.

I don't feel that school population should be the only factor in determining football classification. You're thinking that a "kid is a kid" doesn't really hold water to me, sorry. I have been around public school education for my entire life and I hate to say it but more often then not a free and reduced kid isn't going to be active in extra curricular activities if any transportation, fees or extra costs are involved. Most of those students don't know where their next meal is coming from let alone how they're going to come up with the 5 dollars to have something to eat on the road trip or buy those 75+ dollar cleats. I would also like to say that more often than not the public schools free and reduced percentage should actually be double what it is, because a lot of families are too proud to fill out the paperwork.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to A