2018 Season

Re: 2018 Season

Postby birdman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:32 am

Lexi Buhr was winning pitcher, Josie Buhr game winning hit
birdman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Dakotastater » Sat May 12, 2018 6:42 am

First day of the A/B showdown in Fargo and class A actually won a couple of games, with Fargo South and Davies beating HCV and Northern Cass. As is typical, Kindred-Richland beat up Fargo North, scoring a bunch of late runs, and Central Cass winning in 8 over Shanley/Oak Grove.

Games continue today at Mickelson in Fargo, so if you want it enjoy some great weather and ballgames, head to the park.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dakotastater » Mon May 14, 2018 2:05 am

Final results of the A/B showdown in Fargo have the class B teams taking the series 8-4. Central Cass and Kindred-Richland both go 3-0, HCV goes 2-1, and a rebuilding Northern Cass team goes 0-3. K-R and CC both beat a ranked Fargo North team that had just split with West Fargo and Valley City the week before. Not sure why, but the top end of Class B is somewhere between better and much, much better than the middle/low end of Class A.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby boblee » Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am

It would have been interesting to see Fargo North play Kindred-Richland and Central Cass while somewhat rested. A game and a half vs. Valley and 2 vs. West Fargo leading up to it certainly spent some energy. Both games were close most of the way through until late.

South had a surprisingly good showing pushing HCV.

Shanley hung in there with both Central Cass & HCV thanks to strong pitching and defense.

Davies just doesn't have a lot, but aside from the CC drubbing, they were respectable.

Kindred & Central Cass are just so, so well coached and have loads of talent. The Vikings really rely on Klinnert this year and probably would be more Northern Cass like without her.

Not sure why the Jaguars are a measly 4-12. They only graduated 3 seniors last year (albeit, longtime regulars) and returned a ton of kids with regular varsity experience.

If there was an all-class poll, I'd expect that Central Cass would be in the top 4 or 5 and Kindred would be in the top 7 or 8.
boblee
NDPreps Starter

Postby airmail » Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Has anyone seen the east region tournament bracket? I know some teams are still to be decided, but was looking for game times specifically.
(I was told ALL games would be on the turf at CC, so that will potentially mean some earlier game times than I thought - trying to make work arrangements as soon as I can)

Thanks!
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Dakotastater wrote:Final results of the A/B showdown in Fargo have the class B teams taking the series 8-4. Central Cass and Kindred-Richland both go 3-0, HCV goes 2-1, and a rebuilding Northern Cass team goes 0-3. K-R and CC both beat a ranked Fargo North team that had just split with West Fargo and Valley City the week before. Not sure why, but the top end of Class B is somewhere between better and much, much better than the middle/low end of Class A.

Isn't that the way it's always been?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby airmail » Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 pm

airmail wrote:Has anyone seen the east region tournament bracket?

Found it...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... VI/pubhtml
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dakotastater » Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 am

airmail wrote:

Found it...

Silly Squirrels actually think that every game will be completed and the field turned over in 2 hours? Look for the late games to be starting at 8 or 8:30 and hopefully over by 10:30. They probably should have held off a year to showcase the new complex until they had both fields ready to go.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Any explanation for how the #4 team in the state gets absolutely trounced by F North? Not so surprising that North wins, but the final scores and the number of errors made by GF RR is really surprising.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby kboftw » Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 pm

Dakotastater wrote:
airmail wrote:

Found it...

Silly Squirrels actually think that every game will be completed and the field turned over in 2 hours? Look for the late games to be starting at 8 or 8:30 and hopefully over by 10:30. They probably should have held off a year to showcase the new complex until they had both fields ready to go.
Things ran pretty close to schedule last year in Hillsboro for the region tournament (except due to the rain). It will help not having to drag or water or re-chalk between games, and they have lights.

But I agree, holding off a year would have been the best choice. Also some long drives ahead for the northeast teams.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue May 15, 2018 11:18 pm

I think the play-in games are Wednesday, but I don't see that on the brackets anywhere.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Flip wrote:I think the play-in games are Wednesday, but I don't see that on the brackets anywhere.

1 is on Wednesday...2 are listed as Thursday and 1 hasn't been acknowledged as to when it will be played.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Dakotastater » Wed May 16, 2018 8:29 am

kboftw wrote:
Dakotastater wrote:
airmail wrote:

Found it...

Things ran pretty close to schedule last year in Hillsboro for the region tournament (except due to the rain). It will help not having to drag or water or re-chalk between games, and they have lights.

But I agree, holding off a year would have been the best choice. Also some long drives ahead for the northeast teams.

But....In Hillboro they played on two fields, it appears that every game will be on the same field in Casselton. There is still a need to rake and rechalk the batters box and at the early season games they were doing a lot of work on the circle between games to keep it level.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby boblee » Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 am

vikingman wrote:Any explanation for how the #4 team in the state gets absolutely trounced by F North? Not so surprising that North wins, but the final scores and the number of errors made by GF RR is really surprising.

GFRR's starting catcher is out with an injured thumb and their starting shortstop wasn't there. That said, North was extremely aggressive on the bases and forced a lot of bad throws to gain even more bases. nearly 40 hits, 20+ steals and the 20ish errors from GFRR was a bad recipe. Interesting to see how they respond with WF Sheyenne and Valley City still on the schedule.
boblee
NDPreps Starter

Postby kboftw » Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Dakotastater wrote:
kboftw wrote:
Dakotastater wrote:
airmail wrote:

Found it...

But....In Hillboro they played on two fields, it appears that every game will be on the same field in Casselton. There is still a need to rake and rechalk the batters box and at the early season games they were doing a lot of work on the circle between games to keep it level.
Yeah, it was on two fields in Hillsboro, but there is still a schedule and things were within 15ish minutes of starting when they thought. The region tournament is on the turf field in Casselton. They don't have to rake or rechalk. Most of the work in replacing/moving rubber pellets will be done by the time the teams switch dugouts and well before the umpires are even ready to go. The main hold up will be teams taking infield practice between games.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 pm

What's the plan if play-in games are PPD tomorrow? I'm doubting they play. Some of the region track meets have already been PPD.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby kboftw » Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 am

Three of the East Region play-ins are done. Dakota Prairie beat Pembina County North 11-10 in 8 innings and H-CV beat Enderlin-Maple Valley 17-0 in 5 innings Wednesday. Northern Cass beat Hankinson 13-7 yesterday in a rainy, lightning-shortened game. Grafton and Larimore can play early Saturday morning in an emergency but if they can't get it in, the higher seed automatically advances.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 pm

What happened to Grafton?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby airmail » Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 am

Flip wrote:What happened to Grafton?

Good question. When I heard the score of yesterday's game (with all due respect to Northern Cass), I assumed it was flip-flopped. I know Grafton had a tough time with Kindred's complete offense (hitting, bunting, stealing, base running) the game prior, and some struggles on the mound too. Perhaps that messed up their confidence more than expected.

Regardless, kudos to Northern Cass for making a statement after a tough outing in their game against Thompson. Wish I would have saw it, but regardless of the "why", they seem to have found their bats. Hopefully they'll give HCV a good test tonight for the chance to go to state.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby airmail » Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm

airmail wrote:Hopefully they'll give HCV a good test tonight for the chance to go to state.

NC punches their ticket to state with a win over HCV. Guess they got hot at the right time!
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Tue May 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Central Cass 10, Thompson 0. Final-East Region Championship
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls softball