Random questions/posts thread

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Random questions/posts thread

Postby leroybla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:23 pm

In South Dakota, the football cooperative named North Border Titans (north and west of Aberdeen) consisted of Frederick, Leola, Eureka and Bowdle. It's 83 miles from Frederick to Bowdle. I believe they played their home games in Leola (62 miles from Bowdle to Leola). Likely practiced in Leola too.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OLDBBfAN » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:29 pm

How does the Watford City class A situation have anything to do with another school being 30-40 miles away. Williston is 40 miles away, Mandeere is 30 miles away, New Town in about 45 miles away. The population is not from the rural farming/ranching families. It is do to the city growing because of the oil field. I guess in your thinking they could just bus half the town population 30 miles to another school....then I guess they could stay class B.
OLDBBfAN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 pm

OLDBBfAN wrote:How does the Watford City class A situation have anything to do with another school being 30-40 miles away. Williston is 40 miles away, Mandeere is 30 miles away, New Town in about 45 miles away. The population is not from the rural farming/ranching families. It is do to the city growing because of the oil field. I guess in your thinking they could just bus half the town population 30 miles to another school....then I guess they could stay class B.

I realize the town has grown by leaps and bounds and they saw that coming years ago....I am also certain there are kids coming from many miles away into WC for school

a school south of there (grassy Butte area) halfway between Killdeer and WC may have made a lot of sense to get started on 10-15 years back or so.....I've heard west and south of there a bit, some go to school in Sidney MT
I have seen when I was on the oil field that if the oil situation changes a town now has this big beautiful facility that isn't full anymore.......
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 pm

winner-within wrote:do a little research on Langdon area High School and how far kids are driving......the School is 60 miles from the ND/Minnesota Border and 270 from the ND/Montana Border....so I consider Langdon Eastern ND

Looking at the map I see that Langdon is 34 miles from Cavalier, 27 miles from Edmore, 28 miles from Munich. Divide that distance by 2 (assuming people who live in the exact middle of the two towns) I don't really consider 17 miles an insane distance to travel. Now if you're talking open-enrollment that's a whole different issue, if parents decide to send their children to school a greater distance via open enrollment then they must not be worried about travel.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Edmore and Munich both coop with Langdon right now both of these school districts are quite huge in themselves in size of school districts. If you combine all three districts I think you would come up with about 2000 square miles these schools are taking kids from. This puts nearest schools on east of Cavalier and Walhalla, and nearest Schools on the west of Rolla and North Star, to the South its Lakota and Park River. The Distances from Cavalier and Walhalla to Rolla is between 95 and 105 miles and distance between Park river and Cando(North star) is about 80 miles and then distance between Langdon and Lakota is 52 miles and Edmore district gets within 16 to 18 miles of Lakota so you can see the distances are very far across. But Winner-within thinks he understands school closings and that schools need to be consolidated but he doesn't live with what it means to have to travel these long distances. Once you your in valley schools are still within reasonable driving distances of each other. If he had to deal with school merger where all the kids north of Grand Forks had to come to Grand Forks school and you put them on bus of 75 to 100 miles we will then talk. There would be whole new understanding of what rural parts of the state are dealing with. Like I say my mind has changed on this because size of school has nothing to do with quality of education. Technology today allows small schools ability to provide a education of very highest to their students and to have best in teaching staffs and curriculum in their schools.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 pm

was just in FHSP over the weekend and those kids drive a long long ways down a not so good road to maintain their co-op, same with Dakota Prairie and alot of other Class B schools in the State.....which has been my point in the latest debate of "the east does not travel near as far as to school and practice etc etc as the west" does.....so thank you B-oldtimer for the reinforcement.......
it is merely the Valley that has the least amount of travel...

all the schools in the country (not in any city limits) in ND IMO are successful.....so would Northern Cass be the latest one?

there is no easy fix and it will become more of a challenge as time goes on but the real rural ND Public school system has to be in the forefront as we speak..
consolidating districts, when it makes the most sense vs sports co-ops and band-aids has to be looked at...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am

winner-within wrote:was just in FHSP over the weekend and those kids drive a long long ways down a not so good road to maintain their co-op, same with Dakota Prairie and alot of other Class B schools in the State.....which has been my point in the latest debate of "the east does not travel near as far as to school and practice etc etc as the west" does.....so thank you B-oldtimer for the reinforcement.......

all the schools in the country (not in any city limits) in ND IMO are successful.....so would Northern Cass be the latest one?

there is no easy fix and it will become more of a challenge as time goes on but the real rural ND Public school system has to be in the forefront as we speak..
consolidating districts, when it makes the most sense vs sports co-ops and band-aids has to be looked at...

I'm really unsure of what you are saying. You jump all over the place. You don't like the distance that FSHP kids travel for sports, but you want to consolidate districts and make every student travel that distance on a daily basis? You want to build schools in the middle of all the towns? Northern Cass is successful because it isn't very far from the towns of Hunter and Arthur. So we should build these super schools in the middle of a field somewhere between Michigan, Petersburg, Tolna, McVille and Aneta? Where are these teachers going to live? Should they drive 20 miles to work every day during the rough ND winters on these "not so nice roads" you speak of? Or better yet, should they live out in portable housing at the school?

There has been mention of all of these schools getting renovations and how it's not a good idea. My response, go visit Wyoming, go see how a state that handles its oil revenue correctly handles things. They put all of their money in the school districts, they have 4 classes of athletics and they don't have co-ops.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:was just in FHSP over the weekend and those kids drive a long long ways down a not so good road to maintain their co-op, same with Dakota Prairie and alot of other Class B schools in the State.....which has been my point in the latest debate of "the east does not travel near as far as to school and practice etc etc as the west" does.....so thank you B-oldtimer for the reinforcement.......

I'm really unsure of what you are saying. You jump all over the place. You don't like the distance that FSHP kids travel for sports, but you want to consolidate districts and make every student travel that distance on a daily basis? You want to build schools in the middle of all the towns? Northern Cass is successful because it isn't very far from the towns of Hunter and Arthur. So we should build these super schools in the middle of a field somewhere between Michigan, Petersburg, Tolna, McVille and Aneta? Where are these teachers going to live? Should they drive 20 miles to work every day during the rough ND winters on these "not so nice roads" you speak of? Or better yet, should they live out in portable housing at the school?

There has been mention of all of these schools getting renovations and how it's not a good idea. My response, go visit Wyoming, go see how a state that handles its oil revenue correctly handles things. They put all of their money in the school districts, they have 4 classes of athletics and they don't have co-ops.

yep, build the School along a well established State Hwy with shoulders (or renovate the best and most centrally located facility in the consolidation) not a county black top or old State hwy with no shoulders.....and 20 miles is chicken feed for an adult teacher.. unlike 20 to 30 miles for a 16 year old with his little bro and sis with in the car....spend the money on the right things....transportation and school buildings!!
like Wyoming....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 am

The problem I see with "country" schools is that no student, teacher, administrator or staff member walks to school. All must be bussed or provide their own transportation. No town's real estate values benefit from having a "country" school quite having one that's walkable. Country schools are the product of compromise and I guess that's how it has to be.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 pm

leroybla wrote:The problem I see with "country" schools is that no student, teacher, administrator or staff member walks to school. All must be bussed or provide their own transportation. No town's real estate values benefit from having a "country" school quite having one that's walkable. Country schools are the product of compromise and I guess that's how it has to be.

yep, only works in certain scenarios but more scenarios than we think...

think of how evolution in "how population disbursement" has changed in ND

-we have more people in our State than we did in 1940 to 1960
-back there were 200 people in a township that now has 10 people living in that same township
-there were rural schools some walked to them (uphill both ways) some took horse and sleigh etc etc
-now we have everyone living in town or for the most part in big Cities
-but we still have all the townships all the counties we had then and we have some schools with every child from one county, let alone township, going to one school (usually the county seat) and they are still 145 students away from being ---Class A.......isn't this a little mind boggling?

Farms won't get smaller.....People are not moving back out to these townships.....so planning for the future (once again) of the ND Public School system in the vast majority of our total landscape 80% Ill use....has to be at the forefront....to me it seems, it is pieced together and treated as a "well this will take us to the next 4-5 years"

30 million for another new elementary school in West Fargo just got passed, yesterday
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

yep, build the School along a well established State Hwy with shoulders (or renovate the best and most centrally located facility in the consolidation) not a county black top or old State hwy with no shoulders.....and 20 miles is chicken feed for an adult teacher.. unlike 20 to 30 miles for a 16 year old with his little bro and sis with in the car....spend the money on the right things....transportation and school buildings!!
like Wyoming....

I honestly think I have to stop talking to you about education. It's is obvious that you have done zero research into how children's brains work and the effect travel time to and from school impacts student success. I am really glad that you aren't in-charge of our educational system.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

like Wyoming....

I honestly think I have to stop talking to you about education. It's is obvious that you have done zero research into how children's brains work and the effect travel time to and from school impacts student success. I am really glad that you aren't in-charge of our educational system.

believe me, you confuse me more than I confuse you! :?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Schwab I am glad you speak up on problems of consolidation of schools. My kids are now done with public school but I remember long bus rides our children had to do for our local school and now they even want to consolidate the schools more. When my children got on bus in morning about 1/4 past seven in morning and didn't get off the bus to little before 5 in afternoon. This was when they were in kindergarten through 4 grade it meant your child put in 10 hour day going to school. Even the teachers were not putting that kind of day into school. I know that kids were even putting bigger days else where in the state so we were not unusual. This is hard on kids because your not even talking about home work after you get home and some down time of playing and getting them fed and then to sleep to start it all over. Then you start when kids get involved in activities are further bused being part of coop. Once they reached the Junior high our kids left home around 7.30 in morning to didn't return home until 7.30 to 8.00 in the evening. This was just for practicing and on game nights we had nights where we didn't reach home until as late as 11.30 to midnight while still going to school everyday. This is why we have lack of participation and I am sure has effect on the education of children. This goes to a lot of my arguments that I have about school activities because we need to think of kids to make it fun and still be able to get education. These activities were originally designed to keep our kids doing activity that was fun and learning to work together as group. It was not meant to be a feeder program for colleges or us parents to live our child hoods over again. ( I can say I may have been guilty at times of this but thanks to wise wife I have learned.) Technology now allows schools to be able to offer top education even when your small school the idea you need to have this large school is thinking in the past for rural schools. The next thing we need to do is change what we need in brick and mortar we are still trying to build schools like they were 50 to 60 years ago. Now a school needs to partner in community sharing space and combining there resources so the cost of replace a school and modernizing a school is not so costly. Also the cost of educating kids in rural areas are going to be more costly but its cost to have were going to have quality of life with our families here in rural ND. Also the state is going to have to come to that realization if were going to have quality people driving engine that creates large portion of this states wealth now and into the future.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:26 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:When my children got on bus in morning about 1/4 past seven in morning and didn't get off the bus to little before 5 in afternoon. This was when they were in kindergarten through 4 grade it meant your child put in 10 hour day going to school. Even the teachers were not putting that kind of day into school. I know that kids were even putting bigger days else where in the state so we were not unusual. This is hard on kids because your not even talking about home work after you get home and some down time of playing and getting them fed and then to sleep to start it all over. Then you start when kids get involved in activities are further bused being part of coop. Once they reached the Junior high our kids left home around 7.30 in morning to didn't return home until 7.30 to 8.00 in the evening. This was just for practicing and on game nights we had nights where we didn't reach home until as late as 11.30 to midnight while still going to school everyday.

are these days gone for all the kids now because of non-consolidation and technology?

we lived three miles from town....on the short bus route we were off in 15 minutes.....on the long bus route we rode for over and hour.....40 years ago....not much has changed except nowadays they aren't riding the bus as much and there might be 3 cars from the same family in town or at the school....

sports are the same now as they were then, very competitive like it should be and some have future goals like some did then, many many many kids played at the next level from the 70's, 80's 90's, and till now.....I ran my race but all kids in this State have to have a chance to run theirs too

I don't speak of consolidation so one can travel more....I speak of consolidation so there is more input from more tax payers to that facility and less administration with the highest quality and understanding of the times and future.....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Lets say the next Jeff Boschee comes along and gets selected for the McDonald's All American game. Lets also assume he's a good baseball player. Does he have to choose between playing baseball his senior year and playing in the McDonald's All American game?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue May 01, 2018 1:48 pm

I believe he can do both. He just can't play baseball during baseball season but he can play in another basketball game during baseball season. Kids play volleyball all spring while competing in track in soccer
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Thu May 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Flip wrote:Lets say the next Jeff Boschee comes along and gets selected for the McDonald's All American game. Lets also assume he's a good baseball player. Does he have to choose between playing baseball his senior year and playing in the McDonald's All American game?

Flip, I didn't get the point of your question. Then I looked at the title of the topic, and it fits. I see no reason someone couldn't do both. He would just have to decide if he was willing to miss some of his baseball season. This would have been the perfect spring to have it happen as he would have likely not missed a thing.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu May 03, 2018 1:10 pm

This was sent to me in a PM and I've heard other posters talk about it too.
NDHSAA has rules regarding all star game. 180 day ineligible for playing in an all-star game. That is why you see these "senior" all star games played during the summer. 180 days doesn't matter anymore.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu May 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Flip wrote:This was sent to me in a PM and I've heard other posters talk about it too.
NDHSAA has rules regarding all star game. 180 day ineligible for playing in an all-star game. That is why you see these "senior" all star games played during the summer. 180 days doesn't matter anymore.

"Students who have participated in athletics representing a member school and who have
not yet graduated from high school shall not compete on an "all-star" team, or in an "allstar"
game, contest, or meet during the school year in sports sponsored by the Association.
An "all-star" team includes, but is not limited to, the Shrine All-Star Football Teams, the
Lions All-Star Basketball Teams, and the Optimists All-Star Volleyball Teams. Violation
of this regulation shall result in loss of eligibility of the student for a period of one year from
the date of the last violation. Nothing in this regulation shall prohibit any student from
participating as an unattached individual or as a member of a non-school team in these
sports during the off-season for that sport in the school term, providing the contest is not
“all-star" in character. (Jan. 2008)"

This is interesting. I wonder if schools could apply for a waiver??
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Flip wrote:This was sent to me in a PM and I've heard other posters talk about it too.

So Haley Bucholz from Shanley was selected to play in an all star FB game in a couple weeks. If he plays is he done playing HS sports? I don't know if he participates in other sports.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Flip wrote:

So Haley Bucholz from Shanley was selected to play in an all star FB game in a couple weeks. If he plays is he done playing HS sports? I don't know if he participates in other sports.

Wolsky from Carrington also is playing in that All-Star game...and I don't know the answer to your other question.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Can a home school kid participate at a private school?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 pm

Flip wrote:Can a home school kid participate at a private school?

I believe they can. Pretty sure I remember a family that homeschooled and their kids participated in Speech and Drama competitions at a Private and if they can participate in that then they should be able to participate in athletics as well. (The Speech and Drama competitions were NDHSAA sponsored events.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 pm

what is the reason region 1 only allows 20 regular season games?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:57 am

Flip wrote:what is the reason region 1 only allows 20 regular season games?

R1 schools get the money from the play in games. Needs to be changed.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys