Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 am

Wilbur wrote:
packers21 wrote:
birthday wrote:
packers21 wrote:I would guess most recently would be Berthold, I know Linton won the district this year and had a losing record.

Linton was the number 1 seed but took 3rd in district tournament

My bad, still had a 8-14 record. I think that’s only Carr’s second losing season as a HC.

Technically it was Dan Carr's first losing season as head coach. Linton was 12-13 in 2006 but Carr did not coach in the final game (family death) which was a loss in the region 3rd place game. This year was the first time one of Carr's teams did not win at least 12 games in a season.

Did he have a losing season in Minnesota?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Wilbur wrote:
packers21 wrote:
birthday wrote:
packers21 wrote:I would guess most recently would be Berthold, I know Linton won the district this year and had a losing record.

My bad, still had a 8-14 record. I think that’s only Carr’s second losing season as a HC.

Technically it was Dan Carr's first losing season as head coach. Linton was 12-13 in 2006 but Carr did not coach in the final game (family death) which was a loss in the region 3rd place game. This year was the first time one of Carr's teams did not win at least 12 games in a season.

I don't know the answer to that. All I know is he had a 36-24 record in 3 seasons at Belgrade, MN before he went to Linton.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 pm

B Historian wrote:1. 1974 was the first year the state tournament was held in the Bismarck Civic Center. Prior to 1974, how many years did Bismarck host the tournament?

2. Which team lost 5 games in one season to teams that won a state championship?

3. Who scored 72 points in a game in 1976?

Question1: Without doing any research, I am going regard this as a trick question and say Bismarck NEVER hosted the State B before 1974.

Question 2: I don't have the faintest idea, but I would guess it was a team that played both the Class B champion multiple times, along with the Class A champion and at least one champion from another state (more than likely Minnesota or SD. If I could narrow it to a region, I would say it was a team from either Region 1 or Region 2 (more than likely Region 2).
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Wilbur wrote:
B Historian wrote:1. 1974 was the first year the state tournament was held in the Bismarck Civic Center. Prior to 1974, how many years did Bismarck host the tournament?

2. Which team lost 5 games in one season to teams that won a state championship?

Question1: Without doing any research, I am going regard this as a trick question and say Bismarck NEVER hosted the State B before 1974.

Question 2: I don't have the faintest idea, but I would guess it was a team that played both the Class B champion multiple times, along with the Class A champion and at least one champion from another state (more than likely Minnesota or SD. If I could narrow it to a region, I would say it was a team from either Region 1 or Region 2 (more than likely Region 2).

My guess to #2 is it had to be between 1948-50. A team could have lost to the Consolidated League champion, the Class C champion, and the Class B champion in one season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Wilbur wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Wilbur wrote:
packers21 wrote:
birthday wrote:

I don't know the answer to that. All I know is he had a 36-24 record in 3 seasons at Belgrade, MN before he went to Linton.

I don't believe he had a losing season at Belgrade, although I don't know the individual season records.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:55 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

My guess to #2 is it had to be between 1948-50. A team could have lost to the Consolidated League champion, the Class C champion, and the Class B champion in one season.

I'll say it was a town from the southeast, who lost to a mn state champion (maybe even multiple classes of them), SD champion and ND champion (maybe 3 times if they were in the same district).

I don't think it could be a team from the west, because no west river team in SD has won a state B tournament (White River technically plays in the west, but isn't West River or something like that).

The only other option I could see would have been a team like MPCG back in the late 90's when they played in the Shanley holiday tournament. Couldn't have been 96 or 97 because they won state so that would eliminate some possibilities. The only team from that time it could have been would have been the 98 team.

My ideas probably aren't right, so I'll agree with lionsfan.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:01 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

I'll say it was a town from the southeast, who lost to a mn state champion (maybe even multiple classes of them), SD champion and ND champion (maybe 3 times if they were in the same district).

I don't think it could be a team from the west, because no west river team in SD has won a state B tournament (White River technically plays in the west, but isn't West River or something like that).

The only other option I could see would have been a team like MPCG back in the late 90's when they played in the Shanley holiday tournament. Couldn't have been 96 or 97 because they won state so that would eliminate some possibilities. The only team from that time it could have been would have been the 98 team.

MPCG could possibly be it too. I know they played in those MN tournaments in the late 90s, but I don't think they did in 95 and in 98 they lost to Leeds in the state semis, but Leeds didn't win it that year so they didn't lose to the Class B champ. They might have lost to the A champ and a couple MN champs, though.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:07 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

MPCG could possibly be it too. I know they played in those MN tournaments in the late 90s, but I don't think they did in 95 and in 98 they lost to Leeds in the state semis, but Leeds didn't win it that year so they didn't lose to the Class B champ. They might have lost to the A champ and a couple MN champs, though.

I know during that time they lost to Shanley, Minnetonka and DeLasalle (spelling). I don't think any of them were the same year though.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Wilbur wrote:

Question 1: The answer is once- in 1952.

When the Civic Center opened in 1970 the goal was to try to get the Class A tournament every year with the Class B tournament viewed as a consolation prize. The Civic Center had the Class A tournament from 70-73 and had to "settle" for the Class B tournament in 1974 when the Class A was awarded to Fargo. Additional seating was added to the Civic Center prior to the 1974 Class B tournament and it was a huge success. The rest is history.

Question 2: You are on the right track and in the right area of the state. The answer is not May-Port CG as some other posters have suggested. To give a further hint: this occurred in the 80's.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:59 pm

1987 Hillsboro. Lost to Mayville-Portland, Norman County West and/or Jamestown. Might have lost to MP 3 or 4, NCW 1 or 2 and Jamestown 1 or 0

Edit* this is my guess.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:1987 Hillsboro. Lost to Mayville-Portland, Norman County West and/or Jamestown. Might have lost to MP 3 or 4, NCW 1 or 2 and Jamestown 1 or 0

Edit* this is my guess.

You are correct! They lost four games to Mayville-Portland and one to Norman County West, which won the Class A title in MN that season. They also lost to Hatton and I believe Northwood that year so a total of seven losses.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 pm

1. What team in the 80's played in five district tournament games in the same season?

2. What team in the 70's lost in the quarterfinal round of the district tournament and still made it to state?

3. What team from long ago played in two district tournaments in the same season?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 pm

B Historian wrote:1. What team in the 80's played in five district tournament games in the same season?

2. What team in the 70's lost in the quarterfinal round of the district tournament and still made it to state?

3. What team from long ago played in two district tournaments in the same season?

Can't wait to see these answers. Number one would have to be a team that had more than I teams in the district and played in a challenge game to get to region.
Number two has me baffled because only 1 or 2 teams from each district went to the region, meaning that the quarterfinals of the district was an elimination game.
Number three I am guessing was either during WWII, or had something to do with the Legion.

One a different note, Linton played 5 district tournament games in 1999. They were the 9th seed and beat Tappen in the first round and Napoleon in the quarterfinals. They then lost to Steele-Dawson in semis, Cackle-Streeter in 3rd place game, and Strasburg in challenge game. That was the only year Dan Carr did not take a team to the region in his 36 years at Linton.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:26 pm

B Historian wrote:1. What team in the 80's played in five district tournament games in the same season?

1. Through all my data I couldn't find anyone in the 80's that played in five district tourney games...as far as my booklet states...8 teams was the max in a district and therefore no 'play-in' games were possible with the possibility of a challenge game...but then again there may be a technicality that I am missing.

2. South Heart in 1977
Lost to New England in Quarterfinal Round
Defeated Beach in Consolation Round
Defeated New England in redemption game for 3rd/4th
Won Challenge Game over New England St. Mary's
Went on to win Region 8 Tourney and placed 8th at State (Gave Wing a good game in QF at State - 60-62)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

1. Through all my data I couldn't find anyone in the 80's that played in five district tourney games...as far as my booklet states...8 teams was the max in a district and therefore no 'play-in' games were possible with the possibility of a challenge game...but then again there may be a technicality that I am missing.

2. South Heart in 1977
Lost to New England in Quarterfinal Round
Defeated Beach in Consolation Round
Defeated New England in redemption game for 3rd/4th
Won Challenge Game over New England St. Mary's
Went on to win Region 8 Tourney and placed 8th at State (Gave Wing a good game in QF at State - 60-62)

South Heart is the right answer to #2.

The answer to both of the first two questions comes from District 29 and the strange tournament setup at the time. The tournament was set up like a wrestling bracket where a first round loser could come back and finish 3rd. If the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd hadn't played then there was a challenge game.

The answer to #1 is Belfield in 1986:

Beat Golva in quarterfinal round.
Lost to New England in semifinals.
Beat Beach in consolation round.
Beat New England St. Mary's in 3rd place game.
Beat South Heart in challenge game.

There were five other teams in the D29 tournament in 1986 and Belfield played all of them!

Of course Belfield went on to beat Glen Ullin in a huge upset in the R7 championship game and went on to finished second in the state.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 pm

B Historian wrote:3. What team from long ago played in two district tournaments in the same season?

The answer to this question is Svea in 1934, which was a dual member of the Consolidated League and the High School League (precursor to NDHSAA). Svea lost to eventual state champion Grandin in the Consolidated League District 4 championship game. But since the Class B District 3 tournament was a week later, Svea went ahead ahead and entered that tournament as well, which it went on to win and advanced all the way to the Class B title game before losing to Grafton.

The High School League then made a rule that any team that had participated in a Consolidated League tournament was ineligible for the Class B tournaments.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm

New Questions:

1. What school forfeited a regional tournament game so they could compete in a national tournament instead?
2. What two teams played in the 1974 game that started with 11 technical fouls?
3. In 1920-21 a team won games by scores of 130-4 and 113-3. Who was the team?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:12 pm

The Schwab wrote:New Questions:

1. What school forfeited a regional tournament game so they could compete in a national tournament instead?

1. Not sure on this one.

2. Robinson and Tuttle. The Tuttle coach forgot to list 11 of his players in the scorebook so they received 11 technicals at the start of the game. Robinson made 9 of 11 technical free throws and went on to win 68-48.

3. I will guess Valley City since they were very good that year. This was before my time. :D
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:21 pm

B Historian wrote:
The Schwab wrote:New Questions:

1. Not sure on this one.

2. Robinson and Tuttle. The Tuttle coach forgot to list 11 of his players in the scorebook so they received 11 technicals at the start of the game. Robinson made 9 of 11 technical free throws and went on to win 68-48.

3. I will guess Valley City since they were very good that year. This was before my time. :D

Correct on number 2. Number 3 is a good guess, but wasn’t them.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 am

B Historian wrote:

That is crazy. Today, this would be a single T. I wonder if that was the rule then and the officials messed up or if there was a rule change.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:42 am

The answer to number 1 is Minot St. Leo's in the 30s and number 3's answer is Hazen.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:57 pm

The Schwab wrote:The answer to number 1 is Minot St. Leo's in the 30s and number 3's answer is Hazen.

Interesting. It appears as if the St. Leo's forfeit came in 1933. Cando was the beneficiary of no regional game and went on to finish second in the state.

What is the background with the Hazen scores?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 am

B Historian wrote:
The Schwab wrote:The answer to number 1 is Minot St. Leo's in the 30s and number 3's answer is Hazen.

Interesting. It appears as if the St. Leo's forfeit came in 1933. Cando was the beneficiary of no regional game and went on to finish second in the state.

What is the background with the Hazen scores?

I will have to double check who they beat. There wasn't any information given besides the scores (in the History of North Dakota basketball book). If I remember right, one of the teams was Dunn Center.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Not really a Trivia question but yet a Statistic of Class B Ball...

list a High School that anybody knows of, that had just Boys and Girls Basketball offered as the only sport and still no Co-op options to any other schools for other sports, that was still functioning this way in 1984 (using this year because I think by then there were already many co-ops)

I know of 1 for sure:

1. Milton-Osnabrock Mustangs
the school consolidation started in the 1979-1980 school year.. HS was in Osnabrock, Elementary in Milton year one... and then switched around the next year (HS in Mil, Grades in Oz) and stayed that way till close in 2000.... eventually students could play football with Adams Edmore Edinburg...hence AEEMO
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Two possibilities....Wolford and Willow City
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys