Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby NoDakGuy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:24 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:I think the 1989 Bisbee-Egeland team has some good trivia. Lost to Rolla I believe like 3 times. Twice in regular season and once in district championship then beat them in Region Chanpionhsip, not uncommon I know. Also I think they had like 8 or 9 losses and won the whole thing? So what team that’s won state has had the most losses? (I don’t know that answer)

Didn't Minot Ryan make it to the state title game after having to win a District Play-In game 10-15 years back? Seems like Essler was the main guy, and was out most of the year? Somebody out there can probably clarify a little better......
NoDakGuy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 pm

NoDakGuy wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:I think the 1989 Bisbee-Egeland team has some good trivia. Lost to Rolla I believe like 3 times. Twice in regular season and once in district championship then beat them in Region Chanpionhsip, not uncommon I know. Also I think they had like 8 or 9 losses and won the whole thing? So what team that’s won state has had the most losses? (I don’t know that answer)

Didn't Minot Ryan make it to the state title game after having to win a District Play-In game 10-15 years back? Seems like Essler was the main guy, and was out most of the year? Somebody out there can probably clarify a little better......

2000 Bishop Ryan's Tournament Run is as followed:
District 12 1st Round - Bishop Ryan DEF. Kenmare 77-44
District 12 Semifinals - Mohall DEF. Bishop Ryan 76-62
District 12 3rd/4th: Sherwood DEF. Bishop Ryan 71-60
District 12 Challenge Game: Bishop Ryan DEF. Surrey 63-61

Region 6 Quarterfinals: Bishop Ryan DEF. Dunseith 68-66
Region 6 Semifinals: Bishop Ryan DEF. Bottineau 61-41
Region 6 Championship: Bishop Ryan DEF. Des Lacs-Burlington 78-68

State Quarterfinals: Bishop Ryan DEF. L-M-M 69-66
State Semifinals: Bishop Ryan DEF. Center 68-49
State Championship: Oak Grove DEF. Bishop Ryan 53-38

Bolded comment may be what you are talking about...they were not part of a district play-in game (Surrey was).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:03 pm

BB11 wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Flip wrote:Is playing the same team 5 times in a season a record?

It would be hard to imagine many other scenarios where two teams played five times in a season.

I do know of one instance in the 80's where a team lost four games all season and the losses were all to the same team. Anyone know who this team was?

Yes - the Westhope Sioux lost to Newburg 4 times in either 84 or 85 - I want to say 85. They went 21-4 that year - all losses to Newburg.

You are correct. Westhope lost four times to Newburg in 1985. The two regular season games were very close but Newburg won 63-51 in the district title game and 84-69 in the region championship game.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 pm

Who is the only player to have played for both the Class A and Class B state champions in the same season?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:48 pm

B Historian wrote:Who is the only player to have played for both the Class A and Class B state champions in the same season?

Steve Larson. Wahpeton and Sargent Central in 1978-79.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 am

Who is the only team to lose 3 games in the regional tournement?
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 am

Wilbur wrote:
B Historian wrote:Who is the only player to have played for both the Class A and Class B state champions in the same season?

Whats the story on this one? Was he a top player for both teams?
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NoDakGuy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 am

woodchuck10 wrote:Who is the only team to lose 3 games in the regional tournement?

I don't temember the team, but it was due to FWM having to forfeit their opening round game in the Region 4 Tournament.
NoDakGuy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 am

NoDakGuy wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:Who is the only team to lose 3 games in the regional tournement?

I don't temember the team, but it was due to FWM having to forfeit their opening round game in the Region 4 Tournament.

It was St. John. They lost in the 1st round to FWM - but since FWM played an ineligible player - St. John moved on to the 2nd round lost that game, and then lost the 3rd/4th place game.
Interesting situation.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:13 am

woodchuck10 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

He was on the Sargent Central team that finished 5th at state in '78 and then transferred to Wahpeton that summer and played through Christmas there. He then moved back to Sargent Central and led the team to the '79 state title. He was a 6'7" center and was the dominant player in the state tournament that year.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 pm

B Historian wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

He was on the Sargent Central team that finished 5th at state in '78 and then transferred to Wahpeton that summer and played through Christmas there. He then moved back to Sargent Central and led the team to the '79 state title. He was a 6'7" center and was the dominant player in the state tournament that year.

Tough ball player. Believe they averaged 20+ point wins in all 3 games at state. Thinking there was a Kretchman and Sunquist (sp) on team as well. Did Larson play ball at Lake Region for a year or two?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:17 pm

wondering if anybody has had this cross their mind......

if you get 4th place at State you win 1 and lose 2
if you get 5th place at State you lose 1 and win 2 ... :)

side note: I was visiting with a fellow from Maddock ND last weekend (class of 80 I believe)
he said that there was a time that they Bused Kids from Ft. Totten (spirit lake) area to their school in the 70's and they played for Maddock and had some good teams.....I was never aware of that.....sounded like they stayed up there during the week also.....I had to cut conversation short and didn't hear the whole story but was it because there were to many kids or was it some sort of program by the government?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:21 pm

winner-within wrote:wondering if anybody has had this cross their mind......

if you get 4th place at State you win 1 and lose 2
if you get 5th place at State you lose 1 and win 2 ... :)

True, that is why you see the 5th place team getting awards in off-season tournaments, while the 4th place team does not.

I have seen instances where the 5th place team may have won the state title had they not run into the champion in the first round (Ex: New Town in 1981, Watford City in 1992 and New Rockford-Cheyenne in 2004. There are more of course, but just using a couple of examples).

However, there have been times when the 5th place team lost to the 4th place team in the first round (Ex: Sargent Central 5th lost to Wing 4th in the first round in 1978; and Larimore 5th lost to Linton 4th in the first round in 1979).
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:03 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
B Historian wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

Tough ball player. Believe they averaged 20+ point wins in all 3 games at state. Thinking there was a Kretchman and Sunquist (sp) on team as well. Did Larson play ball at Lake Region for a year or two?

There were three Kretchmans on the team- Larry, Curt and Craig- with Curt being the only one that got a lot of playing time. He averaged 15 points per game that season as did Mike Sundquist. They won by 5 over Mott in the first round, by 9 over Linton in the semis and by 5 over Halliday in the championship game.

That tournament was strange. Larimore was the top-ranked team, defending state champ and had two first team all-state players but lost 40-38 to Linton in a huge upset to open the tournament. Halliday looked like the top team through the first two rounds but got into foul trouble in the championship game and lost a fourth quarter lead after star center Wes Wasem fouled out. Larson finished with 25 points and 20 rebounds in that game and put up 61 points and 38 rebounds for the tournament. The year before he scored 64 points an had 42 rebounds in three state tournament games. I'm not sure if Larson ever played at Lake Region.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:07 pm

B Historian wrote:
BB11 wrote:
Flip wrote:
B Historian wrote:Which school beat an opponent four times heading into the state tournament but lost in the championship game when they played for a fifth time?

It's hard to beat a good team 5 times in a row.

Total guess here
Rolla over Bottineau in 1960 state title.

Correct! Bottineau beat Rolla twice in the regular season and in the District and Regional championship games. At that time two teams from each region made the state field so they met again in the state title game with Rolla winning 69-50. That loss ended a 40 game winning streak for Bottineau. They had won the 1959 state title and they were 30-0 coming into the 1960 championship game.

Was there ever a time when only the district champion advanced to the regional?
Anyone have history on how many regular season games you've been allowed to play?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:16 am

Flip wrote:
B Historian wrote:
BB11 wrote:
Flip wrote:
B Historian wrote:Which school beat an opponent four times heading into the state tournament but lost in the championship game when they played for a fifth time?

It's hard to beat a good team 5 times in a row.

Total guess here
Rolla over Bottineau in 1960 state title.

Correct! Bottineau beat Rolla twice in the regular season and in the District and Regional championship games. At that time two teams from each region made the state field so they met again in the state title game with Rolla winning 69-50. That loss ended a 40 game winning streak for Bottineau. They had won the 1959 state title and they were 30-0 coming into the 1960 championship game.

Was there ever a time when only the district champion advanced to the regional?
Anyone have history on how many regular season games you've been allowed to play?

I know only one team advanced to the region from each district in the mid 1960s to at least 1972. The first year I know for sure that they started taking two teams again was 1975-76. Took 8 out of three districts in each region from 1990-92, and have been taking 4 teams from each district since 1992-93 season. It is tricky. There was a time when two teams from each region went to state, and occurances where two teams from the same region met in the state title game. Two teams from each district went to the region for awhile and then reduced to one for a period of time. Unfortunately, most of my information is by memory, and I never followed sports until my brothers played in high school in the mid-1970s.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 am

Updated. In 1960, two teams from each district went to the regional tournament, and then reduced to 1 team from 1961-73, with a 4-team region tournament. (I don’t know how long two teams went to the regional before 1960, and am probably not going to find out on my own). The region tournament started taking two teams from each of the four districts in the 1973-74 season, and continued through 1989. From 1990-92, there were three districts in each region, and 3 teams from two of those districts advanced to the regional, while just 2 teams from the other district advanced. (I can’t remember how they determined which two districts would send 3 teams). In 1992-93, the regions were reduced to two districts, and four teams from each district advanced to the regionals, which continues today, although some of the regions and district numbers were changed before the 1998-99 season.
As far as I can tell, there were four regions which each sent two teams to the State tournament going back to at least 1948 (Linton went to State as the region runner-up), and continuing at least until 1961-62. Mott defeated Hazelton in both the region and state championship games in 1961, and Mott beat New England St. Mary’s in both the region and state title games in 1962.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:46 am

Flip wrote:Was there ever a time when only the district champion advanced to the regional?

Here is the history of how it worked:

1934-46: 16 districts. The champion of each district advanced to a one game regional with the winner of that game advancing to state. So Districts 1 & 2 played for the Region A title, Districts 3 & 4 for the Region B title, etc. (yes, the regions were referred to by letter)

1947-49: 8 districts. The top two from each district advanced to either an 8-team Class B East Region tournament in Devils Lake or a West Region tournament in Dickinson. From there, the teams that finished first, second, third and fifth qualified for the state tournament.

1950-55: 8 districts. The top four from each district advanced to one of four 8-team region tournaments with the top two teams from each region advancing to state. This was a confusing time. Most districts were split, so you would have for example a District 1 North tournament and a District 1 South tournament with the top two in each tournament advancing. District 3 (NE part of the state) split into four different sub-districts with one team advancing from each while District 7 (SW part of the state) had one big tournament with the first, second, third and fifth place teams advancing.

1956-63: 16 districts. The top two from each district advanced to one of four 8-team region tournaments with the top two teams from each region advancing to state. The structure was very similar to what was in place prior but much less confusing.

1964-73: 32 districts. The winner of each district advanced to one of eight 4-team regionals with the regional champion advancing to state.

1974-90: 32 districts. The top two teams from each district advanced to one of eight 8-team regionals with the regional champion advancing to state.

1991-92: 24 districts (3 per region), with the top three from two of the districts and the top two from another making eight 3-team regionals. Champion to state.

1993-present: 16 districts, although R1, R2 and R7 have gone to the super regional structure.

Flip wrote:Anyone have history on how many regular season games you've been allowed to play?

Prior to the 1958-59 season: Teams were allowed the same number of regular season games as weeks in the season (20) plus any tournaments, which were not included in the limit. This led to many state tournament teams playing a high number of games because they could compete in multiple in-season tournaments and not have it count towards the 20. For example, the Class C Alsen teams of '57 and '58 both went 34-0.

1958-59 and 1959-60: Teams were allowed 20 games plus one tournament.

1960-61 through 1962-63: Teams were allowed 18 games plus one tournament.

1963-64 through 1979-80: Teams were allowed 20 games or 18 games plus a tournament.

1980-81 through present: Teams allowed 18 games or 16 plus a tournament. Teams in super regions are allowed 20 games or 18 plus a tournament.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 pm

New trivia questions:

1. Which team had the most losses coming into a State B tournament?

2. Which coach had five state tournament teams that failed to win their district tournaments?

3. Which 1977 state tournament team finished 1-20 in 1976?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 pm

1. Isn't it that Standing Rock team 6-10 years ago?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Flip wrote:1. Isn't it that Standing Rock team 6-10 years ago?

The Standing Rock team from 2011 is not it.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:58 pm

B Historian wrote:New trivia questions:

2. Which coach had five state tournament teams that failed to win their district tournaments?

2. Dan Carr or Ed Beyer
3. Epping

Both guesses.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theboss » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 pm

2000 Minot team
theboss
NDPreps Rookie

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:27 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:
B Historian wrote:New trivia questions:

2. Dan Carr or Ed Beyer
3. Epping

Both guesses.

2. Ed Beyer is the correct answer. Hillsboro finished second in the district under Beyer in '62, '74, '77, '86 and '89 and made it to state each of those years. They won state titles in '74 and '77 without winning the district tournament. In his career Beyer won 13 region titles but just 14 district titles.

3. Epping is not correct.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:29 pm

theboss wrote:2000 Minot team

This is not correct. The answer is Bottineau in 1952, who incredibly came into the state tournament with a 15-16 record, then lost both games at state to finish 15-18!
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys