2018 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 pm

The Schwab wrote:Some thoughts from the tournament after the final game. I attended all 12 games.
1. Some very good players, quite a few kids I was very impressed with.
2. I miss the scoreboard that showed individual points and fouls.
3. Might have been more fouls called in the championship game then any other 3 games combined.
4. I thought they let too much go the first 11 games.
5. Loved watching kids play their hearts out.
6. No charge circle was called very well.
7. If you’re going to have the coaching box, enforce the rules. Only the head coach stands and he has the 15 feet, not from half line to end line. No coach should be on the playing court during play, period.
8. Sportsmanship wasn’t evident in this tournament. If they still had the sportsmanship banners I don’t know how many teams would have gotten one.
9. FM Acro team is amazing.

You can disagree with any or all of my thoughts, happy to discuss

Curious to hear some elaboration on poor sportsmanship. Don’t need to name teams or names, just common scenarios if you could. I mean every year a couple of fans yell at the refs. But really, were there obvious failures?
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 am

Few thoughts:
Refs don’t call crap the first eleven games but call everything in the championship?
Henninsgard is tremendous. How many great players would pass up a shot in the final seconds of the game?
Shout out to Shipman, Rosenau, Smith, and Page for the cardinals. Hard workers don’t get the credit they deserve most times, and these boys do the dirty work night in- night out.
Some really awesome players in this tournament. Always fun to see who shines when the pressure is on.
Another fantastic title game. Congratulations to HCV!
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby lennylive » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:44 am

1)...Fantastic State B as Always...No blowout games...which means that the talent statewide is overall even.
2)...Mcgillis impressed me the most...he has some smooth moves and handles the ball very well, creates points 1 way or another...IMO...if he played like that all year he shoulda been Mr. Basketball.
3)...I think the broadcast team needs to sharpen it up a bit... names were either pronounced wrong, or announced as a different person from another team.Another thing I want to bring to this is that..why in the world can they not broadcast ALL of the games? These kids fight for the chance to get to the state, cant the NDHSAA and the Broadcast station give them a little bit more respect?....Also, bring back the focus on the schools that get there also, do a story on them on how they got there, to much bla bla bla from the commentators.
4)...Title Game was Everything you could ask for. A little rough at times, but WOW..the agressive play and determination of each and every player was superb. THEY definetly left it ALL ON THE FLOOR !!
6)...Overall officiating was spot on, a few iffy calls, but that went both ways.
5)...Congrats to HCV Burros.... you showed us why you were ranked #1 in the Final Poll.
6)...Last of all Congrats to those Warbirds on their OT win over a Great Stanley team, great way to finish...the same as you were Ranked, #7. Stellar Defense is what got ya to the B !!
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 am

The Schwab wrote:Some thoughts from the tournament after the final game. I attended all 12 games.
3. Might have been more fouls called in the championship game then any other 3 games combined.
7. If you’re going to have the coaching box, enforce the rules. Only the head coach stands and he has the 15 feet, not from half line to end line. No coach should be on the playing court during play, period.
8. Sportsmanship wasn’t evident in this tournament. If they still had the sportsmanship banners I don’t know how many teams would have gotten one.

I was there for Fridays games. I watched the games on TV Thursday and Saturday.
1. TV coverage was tough to listen to. Izzo and Fridley are not the greatest. One of them tried to explain why a charge was called during the championship and gave viewers incorrect information about rules. Their commentary is pointless. It is evident they do not know anything about any team.
2. There were a few great players but overall the play was sloppy. Especially in the championship game. Maybe watching it on TV took away from it but it was sloppy.
3. The officiating was not the greatest. These teams were very physical. Way too physical to have only 3 or 4 fouls (per team - it was called very equal) with 2 minutes left in a half, which was common I felt. The championship game had a ton of fouls called but it was surprisingly the most sloppy game I seen in the tournament. I am sure that had something to do with the fouls called. Those are tough to officiate.
4. The coaches box!! The St. John/BR game could have been more interesting if Feller does not come onto the floor 3 feet and run to the half court line to get the timeout with around 2 minutes left while his team was about to get the 10 second violation. His assistant coaches were also standing an awful lot through out the tournament. They need to sit down. I don't care if it is the state tournament.

I love watching the B. The kids did their part and played their hearts out. I will keep my comments about sportsmanship to myself. There is a particular coach who should be called out but this is not the place.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

lennylive wrote:1)...Fantastic State B as Always...No blowout games...which means that the talent statewide is overall even.

It is the state tournament with the 8 of the better teams. What did you expect?
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 am

BISONFAN18 wrote:
lennylive wrote:1)...Fantastic State B as Always...No blowout games...which means that the talent statewide is overall even.

See Watford City against Medina/Pingree-Buchanan in first round of girl's tournament and get back to me.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BISONFAN18 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:23 am

Big Blue wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:

See Watford City against Medina/Pingree-Buchanan in first round of girl's tournament and get back to me.

The expectation is that every game should be competitive at this level. The other three games in the first round of the girls B was decided by a combined 12 points. I would say they were competitive. Anyway, using the state tournament as an indicator of state-wide talent is not a great tool.

Also, comparing a girls basketball game to a boys basketball game is silly.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby moverandshaker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 am

2)...Mcgillis impressed me the most...he has some smooth moves and handles the ball very well, creates points 1 way or another...IMO...if he played like that all year he shoulda been Mr. Basketball.
3)...I think the broadcast team needs to sharpen it up a bit... names were either pronounced wrong, or announced as a different person from another team.Another thing I want to bring to this is that..why in the world can they not broadcast ALL of the games? These kids fight for the chance to get to the state, cant the NDHSAA and the Broadcast station give them a little bit more respect?....Also, bring back the focus on the schools that get there also, do a story on them on how they got there, to much bla bla bla from the commentators.
4)...Title Game was Everything you could ask for. A little rough at times, but WOW..the agressive play and determination of each and every player was superb. THEY definetly left it ALL ON THE FLOOR !!
6)...Overall officiating was spot on, a few iffy calls, but that went both ways.
5)...Congrats to HCV Burros.... you showed us why you were ranked #1 in the Final Poll.
6)...Last of all Congrats to those Warbirds on their OT win over a Great Stanley team, great way to finish...the same as you were Ranked, #7. Stellar Defense is what got ya to the B !!

Your joking about the officiating right? Not sure how they choose the officials, but the two from Region 4 are two of the worst in the state. Region 4 has way better officials to offer up than those two clowns. All the officials let it get out of control and we saw what happens when you do that on day three, two athletes have hospital visits, one shoulder and one stitched up. A lot of these kind do are going on to play after this , it would have been tragic to see a career ending injury due to the lack of calls.
moverandshaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonation6 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:22 pm

BISONFAN18 wrote:

1. TV coverage was tough to listen to. Izzo and Fridley are not the greatest. One of them tried to explain why a charge was called during the championship and gave viewers incorrect information about rules. Their commentary is pointless. It is evident they do not know anything about any team.
2. There were a few great players but overall the play was sloppy. Especially in the championship game. Maybe watching it on TV took away from it but it was sloppy.
3. The officiating was not the greatest. These teams were very physical. Way too physical to have only 3 or 4 fouls (per team - it was called very equal) with 2 minutes left in a half, which was common I felt. The championship game had a ton of fouls called but it was surprisingly the most sloppy game I seen in the tournament. I am sure that had something to do with the fouls called. Those are tough to officiate.
4. The coaches box!! The St. John/BR game could have been more interesting if Feller does not come onto the floor 3 feet and run to the half court line to get the timeout with around 2 minutes left while his team was about to get the 10 second violation. His assistant coaches were also standing an awful lot through out the tournament. They need to sit down. I don't care if it is the state tournament.

I love watching the B. The kids did their part and played their hearts out. I will keep my comments about sportsmanship to myself. There is a particular coach who should be called out but this is not the place.

You have to be kidding me. After all this, you are complaining about a technicality rule and singling out Jeremy Feller? Pretty sure that’s only because you don’t like private schools. Countless people on here did the same thing to the ORCS team a couple of years ago. Every coach leaves the box and its purpose is in case a coach runs into a player, not to hand out technical fouls like candy every time a coach puts a toe out of it. And Bishop Ryan is the only team where the assistant coaches stand up? It’s every team and not to mention they have their former head coach down there somewhat co-coaching. You try to go coach in that environment and restrain yourself when you need to do some coaching. Plus, the refs are usually deaf so that’s why you need to come onto the court to call timeout.

Just lastly, all you people do is whine, complain, and attack the character of high school kids and their families on a personal level sometimes leading to the spread of disgusting rumors all because of your distaste of private schools. It’s a game, folks, and life is not. It’s not Bishop Ryan, Trinity’s, Shiloh’s, or anyone’s fault that a certain team hasn’t been to state in 40 years or that something else didn’t go your way.

I’m also pretty sure of this coach who should be “called out” for God knows what reason according to you. I’d be stunned if it wasn’t someone on the runner-ups bench based off your logic.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:51 pm

bisonation6 wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:

You have to be kidding me. After all this, you are complaining about a technicality rule and singling out Jeremy Feller? Pretty sure that’s only because you don’t like private schools. Countless people on here did the same thing to the ORCS team a couple of years ago. Every coach leaves the box and its purpose is in case a coach runs into a player, not to hand out technical fouls like candy every time a coach puts a toe out of it. And Bishop Ryan is the only team where the assistant coaches stand up? It’s every team and not to mention they have their former head coach down there somewhat co-coaching. You try to go coach in that environment and restrain yourself when you need to do some coaching. Plus, the refs are usually deaf so that’s why you need to come onto the court to call timeout.

Just lastly, all you people do is whine, complain, and attack the character of high school kids and their families on a personal level sometimes leading to the spread of disgusting rumors all because of your distaste of private schools. It’s a game, folks, and life is not. It’s not Bishop Ryan, Trinity’s, Shiloh’s, or anyone’s fault that a certain team hasn’t been to state in 40 years or that something else didn’t go your way.

I’m also pretty sure of this coach who should be “called out” for God knows what reason according to you. I’d be stunned if it wasn’t someone on the runner-ups bench based off your logic.

I won't get into your mud slinging match.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBfan4life » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 pm

I was actually surprised how well it was officiated. Refs are human, they make mistakes, they aren't perfect, they don't do this for a living, they actually have real jobs, families, other things going on in their life. I am only talking about the state boys tourney because I have seen some pretty bad officiating this year, as bad as I've seen in forever but I thought the state tourney was as good as it gets. The games got rough, that's not the refs fault. The kids play physical in the hopes of getting away with it but I thought the refs called a pretty controlled game. Everyone wants to blame the refs when the kids get out of hand. That's on the kids, it's the officials job to call fouls that they see when its very physical. I felt they did, did they miss some, well more than likely, again they are human but if they did it was even on both sides. If you are a player and go flying across the court for a loose ball and get hurt is that the refs fault? No, his job is to make sure, if there is contact, to take appropriate action. We were entertained by some very good basketball this weekend. We got to witness 16-17-18 year old boys that are extremely talented athletes leave it all on the court. They were all out there having the time of their lives. What a privilege that was.
BBfan4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kboftw » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 pm

BBfan4life wrote:I was actually surprised how well it was officiated. Refs are human, they make mistakes, they aren't perfect, they don't do this for a living, they actually have real jobs, families, other things going on in their life. I am only talking about the state boys tourney because I have seen some pretty bad officiating this year, as bad as I've seen in forever but I thought the state tourney was as good as it gets. The games got rough, that's not the refs fault. The kids play physical in the hopes of getting away with it but I thought the refs called a pretty controlled game. Everyone wants to blame the refs when the kids get out of hand. That's on the kids, it's the officials job to call fouls that they see when its very physical. I felt they did, did they miss some, well more than likely, again they are human but if they did it was even on both sides. If you are a player and go flying across the court for a loose ball and get hurt is that the refs fault? No, his job is to make sure, if there is contact, to take appropriate action. We were entertained by some very good basketball this weekend. We got to witness 16-17-18 year old boys that are extremely talented athletes leave it all on the court. They were all out there having the time of their lives. What a privilege that was.

Could not agree more. The purpose of the forum is to have some more fun with local sports. If you want to get out there and coach/ref/play with 8,000 people in the stands yelling at you and thousands more watching and critiquing you on television, by all means, do so and let us know how easy it was. It was a fun tournament with lots of emotion. Enjoy it for what it was.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:51 pm

You can say what you want to in response to my posts here, quite frankly I don’t care if you agree with me or not.

1. My feelings on private schools are this: they aren’t your typical class B school, they have resources and opportunities that the rest of class b schools don’t, does that mean I hate everyone and everything associated with them? Absolutely not. 3 of my favorite players to watch in this tournament were from privates (pg from Shiloh, Hedberg and Vetter from Ryan). Do I think they should compete in class B? No I do not.
2. I don’t care if Phil Jackson is your assistant coach or if the ref is deaf in one ear and can’t hear out of the other. If you’re going to have rules you have to enforce them. The coaching box rules state that the head coach can be standing in the 15 foot zone, other people on the bench can stand to applaud for a great play, not be up coaching, arguing with officials etc... again I don’t have any problem with any coaches from any team in the tournament. My point is: enforce the rules or don’t have them.
3. The officiating didn’t favor one side over the other in any of the 12 games, which is exactly how it should be. However, if it’s a foul in game 1 in December it better be a foul in game 27 in March. This isn’t college, we play by the NFHS rule book. Enforce the rules written in the book.
4. I will always cheer for the small public school, period.
5. The game is about the kids. As long as the kids had the time of their lives playing in the tournament that’s all that matters.

My thoughts are just that, thoughts. You might not agree with them, but they are based off of a lot of time put into the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby spins » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:48 am

My tourney experience.

1. I thought going in there was a big difference between what i thought were the top teams - Ryan-HCV-St John and the rest of the teams. I was wrong. I thought Carrington, Beulah, WL would not be able to compete. Carrington played very very well and it was nice to see a team give 110% no matter what. A very balanced tourney....although.... (see #2)

2. i had a hunch Stanley was fools gold- the starter that was suspended made a big difference

3. St.John is what the B is all about. Awesome fans--awesome support-great team. That town will talk about this trip to State for years. Those players will be heroes to the younger kids. Just a small town that "shut the lights off when they left". My hats off to them.

4 .I want a Hu-Hot in my town

5. The fans? Overall--pretty decent-especially how close and intense the games were...i did see one fan flip off the ref in the shiloh-Ryan game. i wonder if anyone else saw it...it was pretty obvious.

6. The Brock Teets, Jeremy Feller thing is kinda weird. The guys on the radio had an explanation of what happened which was not entirely accurate. As weird as it is...it works. Very well coached team. Another great coaching decision was H-CV going man instead of zone.

7 - the Bismarck event center is very nice with great seats, for some reason i still prefer the MSU dome

8- I see no reason these days can't be over by 9:00 pm instead of 10:30
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:07 am

The Schwab wrote:You can say what you want to in response to my posts here, quite frankly I don’t care if you agree with me or not.

1. My feelings on private schools are this: they aren’t your typical class B school, they have resources and opportunities that the rest of class b schools don’t, does that mean I hate everyone and everything associated with them? Absolutely not. 3 of my favorite players to watch in this tournament were from privates (pg from Shiloh, Hedberg and Vetter from Ryan). Do I think they should compete in class B? No I do not.
2. I don’t care if Phil Jackson is your assistant coach or if the ref is deaf in one ear and can’t hear out of the other. If you’re going to have rules you have to enforce them. The coaching box rules state that the head coach can be standing in the 15 foot zone, other people on the bench can stand to applaud for a great play, not be up coaching, arguing with officials etc... again I don’t have any problem with any coaches from any team in the tournament. My point is: enforce the rules or don’t have them.
3. The officiating didn’t favor one side over the other in any of the 12 games, which is exactly how it should be. However, if it’s a foul in game 1 in December it better be a foul in game 27 in March. This isn’t college, we play by the NFHS rule book. Enforce the rules written in the book.
5. The game is about the kids. As long as the kids had the time of their lives playing in the tournament that’s all that matters.

My thoughts are just that, thoughts. You might not agree with them, but they are based off of a lot of time put into the game.

Well said, enforce the rules or get rid of them. I have seen coaches cross the half court line numerous times to yell at an official or talk to one of their players. I understand it gets loud in the gym, but the rules are in place for a reason. I thought the officiating was consistent (I only saw the games on TV) and that is basically what coaches/players want. It was a great tournament and to me it emphasized why the B needs to be in Minot or Bismarck every single year and not in some football venue converted to a basketball venue.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby aNDkid91 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm

spins wrote:
6. The Brock Teets, Jeremy Feller thing is kinda weird. The guys on the radio had an explanation of what happened which was not entirely accurate. As weird as it is...it works. Very well coached team. Another great coaching decision was H-CV going man instead of zone.

May I ask what is the story there? Both my sister and I were confused as to why Brock was there for we had thought he left his coaching position at BR and that was when Jeremy took over. Both great coaches in my mind.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:26 pm

From i what i consider good sources-but NOT the horses mouth.

Teets retired from coaching due to job requirements-did NOT take another coaching position.
Feller took the Ryan job after a "falling out" with OCRS. Feller got the raw end of the stick IMO but handled it with class.
Teets is a great coach and had coached these kids for years, some parents and coach Feller asked /welcomed him back in a lesser role as to not jeopardize his job.

This is the version of the story I believe to be true - it might not have been this simple. Either way, its a little weird to me.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby aNDkid91 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Reading between the lines of the Minot Daily, I suspected Feller was on the raw end of the deal.
I can understand why parents would want him back. He is a very good coach. Interesting situation that's for sure!
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:52 pm

The Schwab wrote:You can say what you want to in response to my posts here, quite frankly I don’t care if you agree with me or not.

It's interesting that when watching the Parade of Champions there was hardly anything won by any of the private schools. With all of the advantages everyone claims they have they should have won championships in several sports.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:24 pm

My thoughts:

1. Great tournament overall as evidenced by the scores. Much better tournament than last year when there were only two really good teams. You could have played this tournament ten times and had ten different results.

2. Have to give HCV a ton of credit for pulling it out. Henningsgard is an exceptional lead guard and Camrud one of the best rebounders I have seen. Other than that they had role players that understood what they needed to do while still playing within themselves. They played very good team basketball.

3. Rotvold has now quietly accumulated 399 wins, three state titles and three state coach of the year awards. I thought his choice to play man against Minot Ryan was a great move and the Lions were a bit out of sync most of the game until the epic comeback. It's hard to believe he went 18 years between state appearances.

4. I thought all along that HCV would be susceptible to pressure because Henningsgard was their only strong ball handler. If a team would have used pressure early they possibly could have worn him down and gotten HCV off its game. Trying to play possession by possession in the half court against the Burros didn't work because of their offensive execution and ability to out rebound everyone.

5. Carrington was a very gritty team that really impressed me the whole tournament. They did not back down from Stanley after getting behind and also gave HCV a huge scare. Nelson is going to be a player to watch these next couple of years.

6. St. John had a great tournament as well and it was fun to see how much support they had from the community. The lack of size caught up to them against Ryan but they were entertaining to watch. An HCV versus St. John final would have been very interesting because of the contrasting styles and the fact that most of the Civic Center would have been backing the Woodchucks.

7. I did not think Stanley would win the tournament going in. I also did not think the Blue Jays would go 0-3.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bisonation6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 am

B Historian wrote:

It's interesting that when watching the Parade of Champions there was hardly anything won by any of the private schools. With all of the advantages everyone claims they have they should have won championships in several sports.

I know!!! Fun fact: Bishop Ryan has a smaller enrollment than most Class B schools.

It’s also fair to say a school like Kindred or Thompson is essentially an urban school in this day in age with all those “advantages and resources” others do not. This isn’t the 1980s and lots more kids are attending schools not in their district and a 20 minute commute is nothing for our mobile society.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonation6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 am

aNDkid91 wrote:Reading between the lines of the Minot Daily, I suspected Feller was on the raw end of the deal.
I can understand why parents would want him back. He is a very good coach. Interesting situation that's for sure!

I could use another good laugh from media broadcasts. What did the radio guys say happened at Bishop Ryan? Haha

I don’t want to say anything about the Feller story on here, even the theme most now know is true. But we would all agree the departure was not on good terms and Feller was treated horribly by ORCS all while they damaged their atheltic programs, enrollment, and image over something extremely silly. Bishop Ryan grabbed him when they were scrambling for a coach this fall.

Both are great men and perfect for high school coaching, which their records show. It’s weird how they went from coaching rivals to partners in one year as they both exchanged Region title game wins the last two seasons against each other.

Teets’ departure was not on any sour terms and as you could see he remains close to his players. It was completely related to professional ventures. He has never been an educator and coaching is a hobby. He recently took up a new gig in business, which you may be able to find if you google him, and there’s only so many hours in a day. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him return to the coaching ranks someday, even soon, perhaps a return at Bishop Ryan or someplace else. He certainly would miss coaching and his circumstances could change quickly to allow more spare time.

Just would have been nice to see them both get their first state title as they’re now both holding onto two runner-up finishes.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby KCATOR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 pm

bisonation6 wrote:
B Historian wrote:

I know!!! Fun fact: Bishop Ryan has a smaller enrollment than most Class B schools.

It’s also fair to say a school like Kindred or Thompson is essentially an urban school in this day in age with all those “advantages and resources” others do not. This isn’t the 1980s and lots more kids are attending schools not in their district and a 20 minute commute is nothing for our mobile society.

I have a question we always focus on the enrollment of these private schools. Key word private they do not have to accept everyone to their school that makes it pretty easy to keep enrollment down so you don't have to move up a level. School like Beulah, WC, Kindred once their enrollment reaches high numbers they can't tell a kid that they can not attend.
KCATOR
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Do you really think that at $9400 a student, Oak Grove is going to turn anyone that is not a disruption to their school away?????
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Baller wrote:Do you really think that at $9400 a student, Oak Grove is going to turn anyone that is not a disruption to their school away?????

Your point makes sense, but public schools CAN'T turn away the disruption.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys