2018 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby thefourwinds » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Saw the end of the Stanley/Carrington game. I have no dog is this fight in the tournament. I'm curious about whether that long 3-pointer by Stanley should have been allowed on the foul near half court. That would have also given the shooter a foul shot, with a chance to tie the game.

Obviously it was a bang-bang play, but did anyone else see that?
thefourwinds
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Old Drifter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 pm

hmmmm....Carrington's for real.....i really thought stanleys height and experience would do it...i'm not all broke up...i thought stanley winning it all this year was inevitable so i figured, well, i'll support em since i'm a region 8er and they had some decent players...once again the bluejays just didnt have the jam....now...GO ST.JOHN!!!
Last edited by Old Drifter on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Old Drifter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 pm

thefourwinds wrote:Saw the end of the Stanley/Carrington game. I have no dog is this fight in the tournament. I'm curious about whether that long 3-pointer by Stanley should have been allowed on the foul near half court. That would have also given the shooter a foul shot, with a chance to tie the game.

foul was before the shot...
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm

thefourwinds wrote:Saw the end of the Stanley/Carrington game. I have no dog is this fight in the tournament. I'm curious about whether that long 3-pointer by Stanley should have been allowed on the foul near half court. That would have also given the shooter a foul shot, with a chance to tie the game.

It really wasn’t even close. Foul was WAY before the shot. Definitely not “bang, bang”.

Looked like Stanley ran out of gas. Carrington made adjustments midway through the 3rd quarter and it worked. Tall order for the Cardinals tomorrow night with Hillsboro...but semi final night anything can happen.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 pm

I remember some Hennigsgards playing for Central Valley in the State Girls Tournament earlier this decade. Are they sisters to the Henningsgards on the recent HCV boys teams? If so, how many children do they have. Obviously, all very good ballplayers.
Good games today. Looking forward to semi-finals.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 am

Wilbur wrote:I remember some Hennigsgards playing for Central Valley in the State Girls Tournament earlier this decade. Are they sisters to the Henningsgards on the recent HCV boys teams? If so, how many children do they have. Obviously, all very good ballplayers.

Same family
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:06 am

Wilbur wrote:I remember some Hennigsgards playing for Central Valley in the State Girls Tournament earlier this decade. Are they sisters to the Henningsgards on the recent HCV boys teams? If so, how many children do they have. Obviously, all very good ballplayers.

Five kids to the best of my knowledge 3 girls and 2 boys. Jessica, Taylor and Kennedy all would have played on that CV team that went to state in 2011.

12-13 was the first year of the co-op and I think Taylor was a senior and Kennedy was junior. Jessica never played for HCV.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 am

I wasn't necessarily pulling for Stanley as a team to win, but definitely disappointed that I won't be able to see Hanson for 2 more games. It's not often that you see a Class B (or A for that matter) player that can dunk in traffic like that.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 am

sportsfan111 wrote:Day 1:
G1: #2 St. John (23-1) vs. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (21-2)
G2: #3 Minot (23-2) vs. Bismarck (19-5)
G3: #1 Hillsboro-Central Valley (23-1) vs. Beulah (20-4)
G4: #4 Stanley (22-2) vs. #5 Carrington (22-2)

Day 2:

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood vs. Bismarck
Beulah vs. Stanley
St. John vs. Minot
Carrington vs. HCV

Day 3:

Bismarck vs. Beulah

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood vs. Stanley
Carrington vs. Minot
HCV vs. St. John

Looks like there's only one bracket still alive in this thread...Nicely done Sportsfan111!
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:41 am

After watching the games yesterday I've got...

W/L over Shiloh
Beulah over Stanley
St. John over Ryan
H/CV over Carrington

Stanley 7th
Beulah 5th
Carrington 3rd
H/CV 1st

BUT, I could also see Carrington with the upset tonight and winning it all. They just seem to be one of those teams that is always going to be in it in the end and pull something out you wouldn't expect. There's something to be said about 20 straight wins as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:12 am

Day 1 Observations:

W/L vs. St. John - McGillis and Prouty were the two best players on the court. W/L has a group of kids that never give up and are very hard-nosed, and you can bet that I'll be rooting for small town St. John the rest of the way. McGillis and the Pistorius kid from class A WF are the best guards I've seen in ND this year.

Ryan vs. Shiloh - again the two best players on the court were the guards for Ryan, Hedberg and Bohl. Bohl could be a first team all stater but we'll see. Side note - Am I the only one that noticed but the crowd in the "Clash of the Privates" was much smaller than the rest of the games. Hmmm... Perhaps it's because these two teams are from Class A cities, where mainly just the parents go to the games??? Just an observation but this crowd was lacking compared to all of the others.

HCV vs. Beulah - what a great game. I just find it very odd that HCV's best player is a sophomore, but he plays like a senior. Give credit where it's due because HCV came out flat and crawled back like defending champs should.

Stanley vs. Carrington - another great game, which was again won by the better guard play and a much deeper bench. Bickett was the best guard on the floor by far. Vetter was the 2nd best guard on the floor. Apparently (from a previous post on here) Stanley missed a guard due to suspension and that appeared to be very evident. Chalk it up to a lesson for you young ones out there to keep your noses clean. These opportunities only come up once in every 20-30 years for some programs so make the best of it. Carrington was much more determined and they wanted this game way more by proving that you're never out, even when down by 12 or whatever it was in the 2nd half. Stanley quit doing what they do best and that is to get it down low. Chucking up 3's and taking contested outside shots when you have the talent down low is not a winning formula. Wyatt Hanson needed to have the ball in his hands more, either by bringing the ball up the court and setting a high pick or by posting up once in a while. IMO, Wyatt Hanson and McGillis are the 2 most complete BBB talents in the class B ranks this year and I can see why they are Mr. Basketball finalists.

Overall, all of these teams were very even and the scores could've went either way. I expect day 2 to be just as exciting as day 1.

In the semis, St. John vs. Ryan will be a battle of great guard play. If Carrington plays like they did yesterday, they will give HCV fits. I'll be rooting for a Carrington/St. John final.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan111 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 am

NodakQ2 wrote:
sportsfan111 wrote:Day 1:
G1: #2 St. John (23-1) vs. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (21-2)
G2: #3 Minot (23-2) vs. Bismarck (19-5)
G3: #1 Hillsboro-Central Valley (23-1) vs. Beulah (20-4)
G4: #4 Stanley (22-2) vs. #5 Carrington (22-2)

Day 2:

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood vs. Bismarck
Beulah vs. Stanley
St. John vs. Minot
Carrington vs. HCV

Day 3:

Bismarck vs. Beulah

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood vs. Stanley
Carrington vs. Minot
HCV vs. St. John

Looks like there's only one bracket still alive in this thread...Nicely done Sportsfan111!

Can I change my pick to a cardinal win tonight as well? How about that team effort!
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Old Drifter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 pm

well...my pick lost again...IMO, Ryan was a bigger faster version of st. john...and st. john gave the game away with poor shooting and poor free-throw shooting...not sure if st. john could have won the game against ryan even if they were hitting on all cylinders...ryan was just a bigger faster version....
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Old Drifter wrote:well...my pick lost again...IMO, Ryan was a bigger faster version of st. john...and st. john gave the game away with poor shooting and poor free-throw shooting...not sure if st. john could have won the game against ryan even if they were hitting on all cylinders...ryan was just a bigger faster version....

Felt like there were several poor possessions by SJ because McGillis was not a part of the offense possession. I feel like a player of that caliber needs to be a part of every possession...has to touch the ball at least once in the possession or be a screener (so he's a threat to the play).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bisonation6 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Old Drifter wrote:well...my pick lost again...IMO, Ryan was a bigger faster version of st. john...and st. john gave the game away with poor shooting and poor free-throw shooting...not sure if st. john could have won the game against ryan even if they were hitting on all cylinders...ryan was just a bigger faster version....

Coaching plays a big part too. I’m sure Steve Poitra is a nice guy and does a great job, but Bishop Ryan has much more experience on their bench. Jeremy Feller and Brock Teets alone as head coaches hold 2 State title games and 5 State tournaments. A couple of the other assistants have also coached in a tournament. You just can’t underestimate the importance of coaching like most people usually do. Lots of moments in the game where you could see prior experience and good coaching mindsets coming into play.

I still thought St. John was gonna be too much, but Bishop Ryan made the big plays when they needed to.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:19 am

bisonation6 wrote:

Coaching plays a big part too. I’m sure Steve Poitra is a nice guy and does a great job, but Bishop Ryan has much more experience on their bench. Jeremy Feller and Brock Teets alone as head coaches hold 2 State title games and 5 State tournaments. A couple of the other assistants have also coached in a tournament. You just can’t underestimate the importance of coaching like most people usually do. Lots of moments in the game where you could see prior experience and good coaching mindsets coming into play.

I still thought St. John was gonna be too much, but Bishop Ryan made the big plays when they needed to.

I thought of this also....B Ryan is well well coached and watching them last year i knew they would make a dent this year.....it is amazing how one player (Mcgillis) can make 30 of your points every game on average and come into a tourney with only one loss! Ryan is more of complete team but it still took 7 3's outta one player to beat St. John!....St. john wins the Grit Award for the 2017-2018 season IMO...................

side note:
HCV is back in the Ship.....but they did gain a transfer over the summer I believe that played a big part in their Football success and then has played a huge part in this run at another title....
one has to give them credit for shifting things around with the line ups (very well coached too) and making things work.....seemed like Troftgruben was (down in the dumps) the first nite going in and out of the game but last nite with the shave and the haircut made him a new man :)

will be very tough to repeat vs Ryan....but good luck to both teams!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:26 am

bisonation6 wrote:

I didn’t think coaching played into it all. I think Ryan had the 2nd 3rd and 4th best players on the court and had a kid have a career shooting night. McGillis did all he could keep them in it, St John has really struggled from downtown compared to how they usually shoot. I thought Ryan would win by more, Feller better have a better plan tonight or Teets or whoever the coach is. Only game I thought there was a significant sideline advantage was the last game of the first night even then someone was adjusting to not having a key player.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:15 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Felt like there were several poor possessions by SJ because McGillis was not a part of the offense possession. I feel like a player of that caliber needs to be a part of every possession...has to touch the ball at least once in the possession or be a screener (so he's a threat to the play).

BINGO. I thought there were several possessions where Mc Gillis was “on the outside looking in”.

Carrington just couldn’t handle HCV’s size. They did a great job on Heningsgard, but couldn’t handle “the bigs”. Carrington did a great job of adjusting at halftime but in the end the size was too much. I believe Carrington won 3 quarters of that game, but their bad second period cost them, along with the two last second threes HCV hit. (One on a great defensive possession where HCV nailed an NBA three at the buzzer and another at the end of the third). Those two threes were the difference in the game. I thought Carrington’s three at the end of regulation to tie was in. So close...
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby CentralCity » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Excited for the championship tonight. Two very good teams. Bohl is a very good defender and I can see him shutting Henningsgard down to less than 15. If Hedberg shoots like he did yesterday, BR will be hard to stop.

3rd and 4th place game will be very exciting also. Two of the best guards in the state, Mcgillis and Bickett, head to head.

My prediction- Bishop Ryan over HCV 65-63. Better guards. Can match big boys.
Carrington over St. John 74-69

All tournament prediction- Henninsgard, Camrud, Bohl, Hedberg, Bickett, Mcgillis, Prouty, Weigl, Young, Foertsch (sp?), W. Hanson

Thoughts on HCV and Carrington- Carrington played hard. Thought it should have been an intentional foul when Bickett’s Jersey was grabbed, but also a HUGE call in one of the biggest games (so I can see why they didn’t call it).
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bull Herbie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 pm

TAKE DOWN!!!! 2 points
Bull Herbie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:58 pm

What a weird game. Nothing went Bishop Ryan’s direction until the final two minutes and somehow they still forced over time and the Burros pulled through. Got a lot of frustrations to vent over how tight the game was called and our free throw shooting contest but just gonna focus on the positives.

Excellent display of sportsmanship on both sides. All of them are great kids and been amazed at the level of class by both the champs and runner-up in recent years. Always much better than Class “A” on and off the court whether it be social media or whatever. Glad we can play these games and life goes on one way or another. This is a privilege just getting here and there are some kids who never play in a REGION tournament.

What will be the finish next year at the B? It can only get better, naturally.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 pm

Some thoughts from the tournament after the final game. I attended all 12 games.
1. Some very good players, quite a few kids I was very impressed with.
2. I miss the scoreboard that showed individual points and fouls.
3. Might have been more fouls called in the championship game then any other 3 games combined.
4. I thought they let too much go the first 11 games.
5. Loved watching kids play their hearts out.
6. No charge circle was called very well.
7. If you’re going to have the coaching box, enforce the rules. Only the head coach stands and he has the 15 feet, not from half line to end line. No coach should be on the playing court during play, period.
8. Sportsmanship wasn’t evident in this tournament. If they still had the sportsmanship banners I don’t know how many teams would have gotten one.
9. FM Acro team is amazing.

You can disagree with any or all of my thoughts, happy to discuss
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby moverandshaker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Glad to see the B stayed with the B town, great job HCV.!
moverandshaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:51 pm

The Schwab wrote:8. Sportsmanship wasn’t evident in this tournament. If they still had the sportsmanship banners I don’t know how many teams would have gotten one.

I didn't pay near enough attention, but what did you see/hear?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Flip wrote:
The Schwab wrote:8. Sportsmanship wasn’t evident in this tournament. If they still had the sportsmanship banners I don’t know how many teams would have gotten one.

I didn't pay near enough attention, but what did you see/hear?

Every foul call multiple players on the court/bench and coaches arguing. Fans yelling awful things at officials. During this afternoons games I saw one fan turn a bright shade of red after hollering at an official over a non-travel call on a play that wasn’t a travel. I know most of these things happen all the time, but I thought it was really bad. I have more examples of individual things but this sums it up.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys