2018 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby HSsportFan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:47 pm

I agree that this tournament is like the Girls' B wide open

G1: #2 St. John (23-1) vs. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (21-2)
G2: #3 Bishop Ryan (23-2) vs. Shiloh Christian (19-5)
G3: #1 Hillsboro-Central Valley (23-1) vs. Beulah (20-4)
G4: #4 Stanley (22-2) vs. #5 Carrington (22-2)

St.John vs Shiloh
Beulah vs Stanley

Champion - Stanley
HSsportFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsfan111 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Day 1:
G2: #3 Minot (23-2) vs. Bismarck (19-5)
G4: #4 Stanley (22-2) vs. #5 Carrington (22-2)

Day 2:

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood vs. Bismarck
Beulah vs. Stanley
St. John vs. Minot
Carrington vs. HCV

Day 3:

Bismarck vs. Beulah

Wyndmere-Lidgerwood vs. Stanley
Carrington vs. Minot
HCV vs. St. John
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby KCATOR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:56 am

Old Drifter wrote:so who's gonna win it? I'm a region 8-er...My pick to win it all is the bluejays...they've got all the tools...a quality big man, a quality forward (and probably the best in the state Wyatt Hanson) and hotshot quards...I know any team can be beat but if they play smart ball, they'll celebrate come Saturday night...

I would be right with you, and was believing Stanley would win it all year. Now being down a guard do to suspension before the District Championship game they will struggle with a small bench. Hope someone can step up and fill the shoes. I also believe that they need to step up their defensive efforts to make it to the championship game.
KCATOR
NDPreps Rookie

Postby KCATOR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am

Old Drifter wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:My State Tournament Prediction

St. John defeats Wyndmere-Lidgerwood 61-58
Bishop Ryan defeats Shiloh Christian 62-43
Hillsboro-CV defeats Beulah 62-54
Stanley defeats Carrington 56-42

Consolation Semi-Finals
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood defeats Shiloh Christian 57-49
Carrington defeats Beulah 59-54

Semi-Finals
Bishop Ryan defeats St.John 60-54
Stanley defeats Hillsboro-CV 58-57

7th place
Beulah defeats Shiloh Christian 65-61
5th place
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood defeats Carrington 49-47
3rd place
Hillsboro-CV defeats St. John 65-53
State B Championship
Stanley defeats Bishop Ryan 67-64 OT

Now this is just a prediction so anything is possible. This could be just like class b girls tournament.

like you, i'm picking the bluejays to win it all this year...they played four winds pretty tough last year and imo, they just ran out of time. had the game gone another 5 minutes, i think they could have beat the Indians...any team can lose of course but if Stanley plays fast and loose without getting sloppy, i don't think anyone (with St. Johns the exception) can stay with them...

Blue Jays are down a guard. Do you think they can still pull it off when they don't have much of a bench? Being short handed has me worried about their success at this tournament.
KCATOR
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsfan111 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 pm

KCATOR wrote:
Old Drifter wrote:
Sorenson23 wrote:My State Tournament Prediction

St. John defeats Wyndmere-Lidgerwood 61-58
Bishop Ryan defeats Shiloh Christian 62-43
Hillsboro-CV defeats Beulah 62-54
Stanley defeats Carrington 56-42

Consolation Semi-Finals
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood defeats Shiloh Christian 57-49
Carrington defeats Beulah 59-54

Semi-Finals
Bishop Ryan defeats St.John 60-54
Stanley defeats Hillsboro-CV 58-57

7th place
Beulah defeats Shiloh Christian 65-61
5th place
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood defeats Carrington 49-47
3rd place
Hillsboro-CV defeats St. John 65-53
State B Championship
Stanley defeats Bishop Ryan 67-64 OT

Now this is just a prediction so anything is possible. This could be just like class b girls tournament.

like you, i'm picking the bluejays to win it all this year...they played four winds pretty tough last year and imo, they just ran out of time. had the game gone another 5 minutes, i think they could have beat the Indians...any team can lose of course but if Stanley plays fast and loose without getting sloppy, i don't think anyone (with St. Johns the exception) can stay with them...

Blue Jays are down a guard. Do you think they can still pull it off when they don't have much of a bench? Being short handed has me worried about their success at this tournament.

How good is this guard?
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:45 pm

sportsfan111 wrote:How good is this guard?

This is an important question. Depth is overrated on the winner's side of the state tournament bracket IMO. 5 mandatory timeouts per half is a lot.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby KCATOR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Flip wrote:
sportsfan111 wrote:How good is this guard?

This is an important question. Depth is overrated on the winner's side of the state tournament bracket IMO. 5 mandatory timeouts per half is a lot.

He was a starter. First suspension game was the district championship game. He is a junior also played a lot last year as well.
KCATOR
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Bigbrew22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:44 am

Here's how the cookie crumbles
1. Bishop Ryan
2. Stanley
3. HCV
4. WL
5. Shiloh
6. Carrington
7. St. John
8. Beulah

This will agitate a few but you can take it to the bank :mrgreen:
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 am

St. John wins it all.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Bigbrew22 wrote:Here's how the cookie crumbles
1. Bishop Ryan
2. Stanley
3. HCV
4. WL
5. Shiloh
6. Carrington
7. St. John
8. Beulah

This will agitate a few but you can take it to the bank :mrgreen:

Your picks don't agitate me. On the first day, I'm still torn on the first game, but I think you have the other games correct. So I would give you a good shot at being 4/4. I do think people who pick Stanley to beat H/CV are mistaken. I don't see that as a close game. H/CV is much better than they were last year. At state last year I thought Stanley was clearly better than only TLMM who must have played out of their minds to get out of regionals. Looking at your other picks, I can't see Shiloh winning 2 games and I don't think St. John will get beat twice. I think this tourney will be a good one.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Thursday, March 15th
G1: #2 St. John (23-1) vs. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (21-2) by 8
G2: #3 Bishop Ryan (23-2) vs. Shiloh Christian (19-5) by 12
G3: #1 Hillsboro-Central Valley (23-1) vs. Beulah (20-4) by 14
G4: #4 Stanley (22-2) vs. #5 Carrington (22-2) by 12

Day 2:

W/L over Shiloh by 10
Beulah over Carrington by 4
St. John over Bishop Ryan by 8
H-CV over Stanley by 3

Day 3:

Carrington over Shiloh by 8
W/L over Beulah by 3
Stanley over Bishop Ryan by 8
St. John over H-CV by 7

My guess. I'm assuming i'll be completely wrong.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby spins » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:47 pm

G1-Im going St.John only because ive boughten into the hype. Have not seen either one of these teams play
G2-Ryan wins, although they do play down some games-if they play to their potential-they win it all
G3-HCV- sounds like a solid team- Beulah nothing special---HVC for the win
G4-Carrington --see Beulah--Stanley wins this game, but it will be their last win of the winners bracket
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ndsportsman1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 pm

G2: #3 Bishop Ryan (23-2) vs. Shiloh Christian (19-5)
G4:#4 Stanley (22-2) vs. #5 Carrington (22-2)

Day 2
St. Johns over Shiloh
Carrington over Beulah
Bishop Ryan over W/L
HCV over Stanley

Day 3
Beulah over Shiloh
St Johns over Carrington
W/L over Stanley
HCV over Bishop Ryan

I went with a upset in the first round with W/L over St. Johns. I am not saying this is going to happen but I wanted to make the bracket a little more interesting! Still think it will be Bishop and HCV in the championship no matter the outcome of the other two first round games. Should be a fun one!!
Ndsportsman1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Should be a fun State Tournament and am looking forward to it. Too bad the two smallest schools (I assume) have to meet in the first round, much less the first game. Can't wait to see the St. John fans and how much noise they can make in the school's first-ever appearance, and W-L hasn't been there in quite awhile, and first time with a co-op. I will probably pull for the winner of this game for the rest of the tournament. Haven't seen many of the teams in this year's field, but if I would have to make a prediction, I would pick Hillsboro/CV, based on their experience and what people have been saying who watched them play all year. Regardless, good luck to all the teams, thanks for another great season of Class B hoops.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Since Class B began seeding the State Tournament o n 2013-14, I like to see what the pairings would be for the quarterfinals if the old 7-year rotation of regions was still in place. Under that format, they would be W-L vs. Stanley; St. John vs. Shiloh; Carrington vs. HCV; and Minot Ryan vs. Beulah. (This is based on the pairings in 2011. Don't know if they still used that rotation anymore). Meaningless, but I like to see how they compare to the seeded pairings.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Old Drifter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 pm

KCATOR wrote:
Old Drifter wrote:so who's gonna win it? I'm a region 8-er...My pick to win it all is the bluejays...they've got all the tools...a quality big man, a quality forward (and probably the best in the state Wyatt Hanson) and hotshot quards...I know any team can be beat but if they play smart ball, they'll celebrate come Saturday night...

I would be right with you, and was believing Stanley would win it all year. Now being down a guard do to suspension before the District Championship game they will struggle with a small bench. Hope someone can step up and fill the shoes. I also believe that they need to step up their defensive efforts to make it to the championship game.

Really....I didn't know that....(suspension) but i'm not sure if that will make a difference...unless this guard was a 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 10 assists player...must confess i haven't seen the bluejays play and am basing my assumption on last years play...I think with the guard out, that will simply define each player in their respective role...by that i mean the Hansons can be a little more 'selfish' if you will and not have to think about spreading the ball around and can then take charge of the game....we'll see i guess...
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sleepy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:36 am

woodchuck10 wrote:
Flip wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:Seriously guy it’s just St. John. Don’t know why you type it in it’s possesive form

It's "possessive." Don't know why you can't spell.

But anyway, I used to think it was St. John's for a time too. Both colleges I can think of are St. John's.

We’re not a university. Would you say St. Thomas’s, ND; St. Anthony’s, ND; St. Gertrude’s, ND. It’s so stupid to fight over but it’s equally as stupid that people continually get it wrong.

Yah, we always said St. Gertrude's. They probably have been closed for over 25 years, how do people even remember them.
Sleepy
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 am

Its hard to get to the B back to back let alone win it back to back....I thought Stanley should have been playing the night games last year....I'm confident they will this year....although no disrespect for any teams in the field because they are all high Caliber.....every year there is a development of an unexpectant, there is usually a new story line....it could be W-L this year, they are packed with "not a thing to lose seniors" but St.John is strong......whatever plays out, I'm sure this year will be one of the good ones when it comes to satisfying the fan....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Day one predictions
WL -could go either way. I’d have picked these two to win vs any team other than HCV.
Ryan -I’d guess it will not be close.
HCV -in the big school game of the day, HCV is to strong
Stanley -I’m just guessing here. I wasn’t impressed with the last year . Most of the are back so they should be better than last year.

1. HCV
2. WL picking them with my heart here
3. Ryan
4. Stanley
5. St John if they aren’t here they will be 2
6. Carrington
7. Miners
8. Shiloh
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Held off as long as possible...don't have a dog in the fight anymore so here are my predicitons

St. John def. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood - close game...could go either way...just thing SJ has too much firepower.
Bishop Ryan def. Shiloh Christian - game was close 1st time around with Ogbu; BR by 15 without Ogbu
H-CV def. Beulah - H-CV is the stronger team, Henningsgard is best player on floor; HCV by 10-15
Stanley def. Carrington - Another great matchup...Stanley's height moves them on.

Consolation
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood def. Shiloh Christian
Carrington def. Beulah - evenly matched teams...IMO
Semifinals
Bishop Ryan def. St. John - close game...BR pulls away late for a close win
H-CV def. Stanley - stronger post play moves HCV along

7th: Beulah def. Shiloh Christian
5th: Wyndmere-Lidgerwood def. Carrington
3rd: St. John def. Stanley - this could be a high-scoring, fun, fast-paced game
Championship: H-CV def. Bishop Ryan
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Your picks look good run. This first one is good as I expected it would be. WL down 2 going into the fourth. Way to many turnovers for the warbirds in the first half.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Proudy stepped up big and I was impressed with St. johns stamina, pressing down the stretch

St' John is a team where everybody knows their roll
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm

I would really like to understand the logic behind icing HS kids with media TOs
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Despite most people thinking they would get blown out without ogbu, I thought Shiloh played pretty well. I didn't expect the second game to be just as entertaining as the first. First two games were fun and closer than the scores indicate.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bigbrew22 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm

I wish the guy that's calling the games with Scott on the radio would forever stop using the phrase "shuffled the puppies " it sounds really stupid when said that much
Bigbrew22
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys