region 2 semi final

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

region 2 semi final

Postby ReadyToPlay » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 am

Should be an intense game between Grafton and Thompson tonight at the Betty. Grafton defeated them about 10 days ago with single digits in Grafton and Thompson was a bit off in shooting although could have been Grafton's defense. Thompson is very quick and Grafton has size. Should go down to wire and will all depend on fouls I think?
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: region 2 semi final

Postby BasketballKid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am

That game Thompson went 1/15 from the 3 point line and shot 33 Percent from the field, (their worst all year) Should be an interesting game because no one could shut down Grafton's post ( Albrecht) I believe he had 34 points. Should be an interesting game. Very excited.
BasketballKid
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:26 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:Should be an intense game between Grafton and Thompson tonight at the Betty. Grafton defeated them about 10 days ago with single digits in Grafton and Thompson was a bit off in shooting although could have been Grafton's defense. Thompson is very quick and Grafton has size. Should go down to wire and will all depend on fouls I think?

funny you mention....Cavalier had like 19 fouls to Thompsons 8 fouls given Tuesday nite......I' have seen players fouling out etc etc ....I can't for the life of me figure out why 2 teams can't just have a normal Basketball game based on the rules and leave it at that....No Hand Checking? Okay! the whole game hand checking! there is no way 2 quality teams are that lop-sided on fouls....

the whole world and the whole system wants 2 teams in the finals and one doesn't even have to blurt who I'm talking about..(literally the underlying story in Class B history of District and Regional tournament play)....so I think Grafton will be up against those odds also.....

as far as who is more powerful or who is a better team?.......well first off I Believe nobody has really "peaked" as a team compared to reg season, in the entire field of the tournament....so I look for it to be more of an individual "step-up" that sways the outcomes of these next 3 games (2 semi's and championship) and I believe how they are called is huge!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 pm

definitely want to see video of the last minute of that game. Sounds like Thompson got the shaft big-time according to Mayville radio.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 pm

vikingman wrote:definitely want to see video of the last minute of that game. Sounds like Thompson got the shaft big-time according to Mayville radio.

Can't be. The whole system wanted Thompson to win.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bequickdonthurry » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 pm

vikingman wrote:definitely want to see video of the last minute of that game. Sounds like Thompson got the shaft big-time according to Mayville radio.

Hoping someone will post a synopsis of the last minute, what happened?
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:35 pm

based on Mayville radio:

Thompson was up by 6 with 1 minute to play. Ball was at Thompson's end, two people went for the ball and the refs called an intentional foul on Thompson. Neither radio announcer could understand how the call was made, and given the situation, certainly no reason for Thompson to be intentionally fouling. Grafton made both free throws and a basket on the ensuing possession.

At the end, Thompson had fouls to give and the announcers said they were trying to foul, but the refs let everything go, and Grafton ends up with a basket with 2 seconds left.

Now, based on the Thompson-Hillsboro game with the disputed ending, I'd want to see it for myself, but I don't think the Mayville announcers had any reason to be biased towards Thompson.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Handcheck » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:00 am

He two hand pushed him in the back almost through the scorers table. That wasn’t the difference Thompson still had chances to finish the game but decided to go away from hegg who got them the lead. Then once again as in the hcv game didn’t use their fouls. It was a very physical game they let them play. And the announcers who do a great job one teaches at Thompson and the other I am sure would get more advertising money from Thompson than Grafton. Just saying lol.
Handcheck
NDPreps Rookie

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 am

I called the game, and i live in Thompson.

Nieman is coming away with a man underneath the basket wide open. Hughes dove to commit a foul to prevent the easy basket. Contact went to the body after the ball was gone.

From my view, it could be called intentional, it could also not be. One referee was emphatic it was intentional, the others not so sure.

It did matter. Both shots good, then they scored on the the possession, four point swing, won by one.

Sorry, i know youre looking for something more difinitive. I can see intentional, i can see regular foul.

But, again, IMHO, Grafton played 32 minutes. Thompson played 31:58.3. The shot to win for Hanson was literally about two feet from the sideline when they only needed a two. It looked like everyone thought that shot was the end of the game, and someone forgot to rebound. The intentional foul mattered, but Thompson wins by playing catch under the rim.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ReadyToPlay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:24 am

Both tremendous athletic teams that played to the end. But at the end of the night, it was Grafton's Marcus Nieman's performance and senior leadership that got his team to championship night..
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby bequickdonthurry » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:14 am

vikingman wrote:based on Mayville radio:

Thompson was up by 6 with 1 minute to play. Ball was at Thompson's end, two people went for the ball and the refs called an intentional foul on Thompson. Neither radio announcer could understand how the call was made, and given the situation, certainly no reason for Thompson to be intentionally fouling. Grafton made both free throws and a basket on the ensuing possession.

At the end, Thompson had fouls to give and the announcers said they were trying to foul, but the refs let everything go, and Grafton ends up with a basket with 2 seconds left.

Now, based on the Thompson-Hillsboro game with the disputed ending, I'd want to see it for myself, but I don't think the Mayville announcers had any reason to be biased towards Thompson.

The part of this in bold is a load of you know what. First of all there wasn't two kids going for the ball. Thompson player tried to prevent a wide open lay-up on the other end when Grafton had clear possession. What does every coach tell players when you foul, "you have to go for the ball." It is clearly stated in the rules if you aren't making an attempt to go for the ball and instead are intentionally fouling to prevent play or an action it is an intentional foul. It came at a time in the game fans didn't like but it was definitely the correct call. If you don't go for the ball you get the call. It was a tough call to make but the correct one. You can debate if the rule should have been enforced but it was definitely a violation of the rule.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby bounce_32 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 am

defensewinsgames wrote:

The part of this in bold is a load of you know what. First of all there wasn't two kids going for the ball. Thompson player tried to prevent a wide open lay-up on the other end when Grafton had clear possession. What does every coach tell players when you foul, "you have to go for the ball." It is clearly stated in the rules if you aren't making an attempt to go for the ball and instead are intentionally fouling to prevent play or an action it is an intentional foul. It came at a time in the game fans didn't like but it was definitely the correct call. If you don't go for the ball you get the call. It was a tough call to make but the correct one. You can debate if the rule should have been enforced but it was definitely a violation of the rule.

I agree whole heartedly defense, Hughes wrapped his arms around Neiman. That is a No! No! What I couldn't understand was how the ref's allowed Hughes and Schwabe to argue the call. I guess they have more pull in the system than other kids in region 2. Also what are your thoughts on the time that was put back on the clock. altho it wasn't much, I thought there was more like .8 to 1 sec left when the timeout was called. Heck of a game nonetheless!!
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:42 am

who was officiating?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I think one of the toughest parts of high school officiating is putting time back on the clock. Other levels can use the replay to figure it out. Trying to make that determination as a high school official while also watching the rest of the game and having no video to look back at has to be near impossible. I will never question officiating too much (unless it is obviously bad) because it is a tough job that you can never win doing. You make the right call - everyone is mad. You make the wrong call - everyone is mad. You make no call - everyone is mad. Especially this day in age where players and parents complain every call and have no fear in confronting officials, it is a job I would never want. I appreciate that people continue to do it so that we can continue enjoying athletics. What did last night boil down to? It was not the officiating, it was a team making plays at the end. Bottom line: Thompson was up by one with fouls to give and 13 seconds left. Grafton made a game winning shot. Thompson had a chance to heave one up with less than a second left. Two great teams played a great game. We belittle the teams effort and Grafton's accomplishment by blaming things on officials.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Flip wrote:who was officiating?

I really don't think calling out officials and discussing who was officiating is going to be beneficial in anyway.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Games don't come down to 1 play, 1 missed call, 1 bad call, 1 missed basket. There are 32 minutes in a basketball game (obviously sometimes more if it goes into OT). But that last minute will be what everyone remembers.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bounce_32 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 pm

For the record my comments were not a bash against the officiating at all. I feel the way it all played out was officiated the correct way. Marcus Neiman deserves the "GRIT" award, he played his but off!!
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby airmail » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Handcheck wrote:That wasn’t the difference Thompson still had chances to finish the game but decided to go away from hegg who got them the lead. Then once again as in the hcv game didn’t use their fouls.

Good question. With Albrecht injured, he couldn't shut down Thompson defensively in the post. And why did they go away from Overby also? With one GHS post injured and the other in foul trouble, it seemed like a no-brainer to pound it inside.
Another huge part of the Grafton win was when THS stayed in the man-to-man defense in the second half. When Albrecht got injured, Niemann played more of a role in the paint for the whole second half - the THS guards couldn't defend him once he drove down low. And they were probably tired too - THS never substituted anyone in the second half. But all credit to Niemann - great young man and one heluva player.

Gritty win for GHS - hopefully they can heal up and be ready for HCV - it'll be a tall order.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ndsportsman1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:23 pm

HCV vs Grafton any predictions for the final?
Ndsportsman1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 am

defensewinsgames wrote:

this is correct here...ultimately it was the bad wheel of Albrecht that sorta caused the whole situation as he was unable to run the floor with the rest of them and that left him back.....so when Nieman saw this, he of course was going to pass up court when in fact he was fouled.....now the ref closest with the best angle had to make the call.....hind sight is 20 20 but Thompson should have immediately regrouped and shook off the call instead of going crazy because they still had the lead......it was Class B ball at its finest and give credit to both teams for their efforts!! teams that have played Thompson in this tourney have not had good luck with bad wheels :wink: so take note and have fun.....

good luck to all the teams today!! :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys