2018 State Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 am

Thundersnow wrote:2 games, 2 upsets. Interesting start to the tournament.

LEM definitely should have been favored, but I don't think it was that surprising.
I don't know much (if anything) about Rugby or Killdeer, but Killdeer seemed like the better team.

KG4MVP wrote:Boy sure is fun watching Kindred get every call lol. Especially #5

I caught myself cheering for GC and I didn't think this.

Where can you get full box scores for the games?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:49 am

Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HSsportFan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:54 am

I was treated to a great day of basketball today at the Girls' B. Three great games and one that got out of hand early and only got worse. This happens in basketball sometimes, things just snowball out of control and the score ends up very lopsided. With that being said the WC girls never quit playing or trying their best. My problem is WHERE WAS THEIR STUDENT BODY. The other seven schools had their sections full of students and were all having fun cheering on their team. The largest school by far (moving to Class A next year) in the tournament and only a handful of fans in the cheering section. These gals worked hard to achieve a goal to make it to state they deserved better student support. Maybe they sat elsewhere so I could not see them if that is so then I apologize for the criticism.
HSsportFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:33 am

HSsportFan wrote:I was treated to a great day of basketball today at the Girls' B. Three great games and one that got out of hand early and only got worse. This happens in basketball sometimes, things just snowball out of control and the score ends up very lopsided. With that being said the WC girls never quit playing or trying their best. My problem is WHERE WAS THEIR STUDENT BODY. The other seven schools had their sections full of students and were all having fun cheering on their team. The largest school by far (moving to Class A next year) in the tournament and only a handful of fans in the cheering section. These gals worked hard to achieve a goal to make it to state they deserved better student support. Maybe they sat elsewhere so I could not see them if that is so then I apologize for the criticism.

I've been to state the last 3 years and I gave them an excuse when it was in Grand Forks, because it is so far away. I don't know why they didn't make it on day 1 in Minot.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:19 am

I share the same sediments at HSsportsfan. Wife and I had a great day watching the games. I would say the feeling of it being a true Class B tournament is there even though the stands aren't full.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby triplebbb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 am

The great enrollment increase in WC is from people from all over the US and many other countries. They have no ties what so ever to the school and especially the sports teams. Very few participate in any activities. It is an unusual dynamic and very unique but also VERY frustrating for long time WC residents, teachers, and coaches.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 am

I agree, great day of games. The way MPB played they will be tough to beat. Not that they just won in a blowout, but their defense was excellent. I thought that's what we'd see from LEM as well, but they pretty much gave the game to Thompson. If Thompson would have been able to make FTs it would have been at least a double digit win. Should be another set of good games tonight. GC should match up a bit better with MPB, but I still think the Thunder will win by double digits. I see Killdeer winning the other semi, but wouldn't be surprised if Thompson pulled another one off.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am

Was a great day of basketball, 3 games that were close! I'm surprised no one has mentioned how the personal foul/technical foul was administered. Completely botched how the free throws and possession of the ball should have been awarded.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:19 am

The Schwab wrote:Was a great day of basketball, 3 games that were close! I'm surprised no one has mentioned how the personal foul/technical foul was administered. Completely botched how the free throws and possession of the ball should have been awarded.

I was baffled by that whole process as well. Luckily it didn't come down to a possession lost there, but why wasn't their coach complaining about it?!?
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 am

I'm predicting a Killdeer vs. MPB final. I was impressed by Killdeer- they are long and I think would match up the best with MPB. Grant County will not beat MPB with 22 turnovers, if they clean it up they may challenge them but MPB is firing on all cylinders right now. One thing I took away from yesterdays games is how bad the FT shooting was, maybe it was just a case of the nerves for some of these girls on Day 1.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 pm

sportsphenom wrote:I'm predicting a Killdeer vs. MPB final. I was impressed by Killdeer- they are long and I think would match up the best with MPB. Grant County will not beat MPB with 22 turnovers, if they clean it up they may challenge them but MPB is firing on all cylinders right now. One thing I took away from yesterdays games is how bad the FT shooting was, maybe it was just a case of the nerves for some of these girls on Day 1.

your Championship prediction could very well materialize......as far as free throws? the problem I saw was hurrying the shot....I think one gets 10 secs (never have seen it called) to shoot a free throw....its like a putt in golf "take your time" oh yea! and "get the butt to the floor".... :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 pm

The Schwab wrote:Was a great day of basketball, 3 games that were close! I'm surprised no one has mentioned how the personal foul/technical foul was administered. Completely botched how the free throws and possession of the ball should have been awarded.

I thought the same thing. Killdeer didn't even get the benefit of the possession.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm

sportsphenom wrote:

I was baffled by that whole process as well. Luckily it didn't come down to a possession lost there, but why wasn't their coach complaining about it?!?

This would have been correct in college....I have seen more violation misadministered because the refs get the high school and college rules mixed up. Some of the officials do more college than high school and its starting to become an issue.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby littletown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:00 pm

GC will have to play a much better game to stick with MPB tonight. They did beat Killdeer at the end of January when they were still without their good player up in Killdeer but Killdeer looked good last night. MPB looked pretty tough last night but we may see a different team tonight, Hope we have 2 close games tonight!
littletown
NDPreps Rookie

Postby KG4MVP » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Apparently Thompson forgot they were down by 3. TWICE! Unreal
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Old Drifter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:27 pm

what do you mean they forgot they were down by three...???
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:27 pm

KG4MVP wrote:Apparently Thompson forgot they were down by 3. TWICE! Unreal

1st time: I think Hughes thought she had a better chance to get the And-1 call then to stop from full speed and attempt to put up a 3...not a bad choice IMO and there obviously was plenty of time because they got another opportunity.

2nd time: Hard to tell with this play if the player rolling to the hoop was supposed to flair to the corner or if they were hoping for Killdeer to forget that it was a shot attempt and foul as they had been doing with fouls to give...whatever the case...the play, essentially, worked it was just for 1 less point than they needed.

Both teams played a great game and should be commended for their efforts. Now for the next game...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby airmail » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:33 pm

They probably thought they were owed a call and would get the "and 1".
Hard fought on both ends. Good matchup.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby KG4MVP » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

1st time: I think Hughes thought she had a better chance to get the And-1 call then to stop from full speed and attempt to put up a 3...not a bad choice IMO and there obviously was plenty of time because they got another opportunity.

2nd time: Hard to tell with this play if the player rolling to the hoop was supposed to flair to the corner or if they were hoping for Killdeer to forget that it was a shot attempt and foul as they had been doing with fouls to give...whatever the case...the play, essentially, worked it was just for 1 less point than they needed.

Both teams played a great game and should be commended for their efforts. Now for the next game...

Not when the clock doesnt stop after a made basket and what, 3 seconds left? And you cant advance the ball with a TO. Let it fly.
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 pm

KG4MVP wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Not when the clock doesnt stop after a made basket and what, 3 seconds left? And you cant advance the ball with a TO. Let it fly.

Thompson had a TO and used it AFTER they made that basket...no time went off the clock. The player went with the higher percentage shot in the scenario. It was Hughes vs. Killdeer defender 1-on-1...the quality of shot was better on the 2 pt attempt...what if a foul would have been called...are we talking a different ending?!? Throwing up an unbalanced 3 may not have been in Hughes' interest at that time...during the game she looked like the type of player who likes to get her feet set for that 3...not rush one up wildly. Honestly, getting points in the 1st scenario was the most important thing...since they had that TO in their back pocket. If Hughes had a player on the wing...now then I could see shooting up that 3 but it was only herself back there.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby KG4MVP » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
KG4MVP wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Thompson had a TO and used it AFTER they made that basket...no time went off the clock. The player went with the higher percentage shot in the scenario. It was Hughes vs. Killdeer defender 1-on-1...the quality of shot was better on the 2 pt attempt...what if a foul would have been called...are we talking a different ending?!? Throwing up an unbalanced 3 may not have been in Hughes' interest at that time...during the game she looked like the type of player who likes to get her feet set for that 3...not rush one up wildly. Honestly, getting points in the 1st scenario was the most important thing...since they had that TO in their back pocket. If Hughes had a player on the wing...now then I could see shooting up that 3 but it was only herself back there.

Refs aren't going to call an and one unless its a serious hack. Second and a half went off the clock before a TO. Gotta shoot the 3 there 5 seconds and under. Pretty simple. Especially the 2nd time lol
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan111 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:20 pm

KG4MVP wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
KG4MVP wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Refs aren't going to call an and one unless its a serious hack. Second and a half went off the clock before a TO. Gotta shoot the 3 there 5 seconds and under. Pretty simple. Especially the 2nd time lol

Let’s not forget she’s a freshmen. She impressed the heck out of me. All out hustle from start to finish.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby KG4MVP » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I agree, great day of games. The way MPB played they will be tough to beat. Not that they just won in a blowout, but their defense was excellent. I thought that's what we'd see from LEM as well, but they pretty much gave the game to Thompson. If Thompson would have been able to make FTs it would have been at least a double digit win. Should be another set of good games tonight. GC should match up a bit better with MPB, but I still think the Thunder will win by double digits. I see Killdeer winning the other semi, but wouldn't be surprised if Thompson pulled another one off.

Say what? Maybe now GC gets some respect. Beat undefeated Shiloh, beat defending champs, beat #1 seed. Everyone forgets they were ranked #2 preseason. Told you they deserved a higher ranking. What a game!
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby birthday » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Rankings don’t mean crap, come to play and the best team wins
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:12 pm

KG4MVP wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I agree, great day of games. The way MPB played they will be tough to beat. Not that they just won in a blowout, but their defense was excellent. I thought that's what we'd see from LEM as well, but they pretty much gave the game to Thompson. If Thompson would have been able to make FTs it would have been at least a double digit win. Should be another set of good games tonight. GC should match up a bit better with MPB, but I still think the Thunder will win by double digits. I see Killdeer winning the other semi, but wouldn't be surprised if Thompson pulled another one off.

Say what? Maybe now GC gets some respect. Beat undefeated Shiloh, beat defending champs, beat #1 seed. Everyone forgets they were ranked #2 preseason. Told you they deserved a higher ranking. What a game!

I’ll eat my words as well. Looked like the better team on both ends tonight.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls