10 days repeated

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

10 days repeated

Postby ReadyToPlay » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm

I notice that whoever played their final regular season game last Friday in (region 2 anyway) and was awarded a bye for 1st round regional, will be getting butt blisters for the next 10 days again. Ah, the longing for the district tourney atmosphere to return to keep those teams from going stagnate...
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: 10 days repeated

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:04 pm

and on that note... with all the time at the end of the season there should be no back to back Region games during the season in a Super Region...NONE!
some say "it happens at tournament time" and I say Yep!! "and thats why they call it a Tournament"
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bounce_32 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:59 am

I agree!
Talent is never enough, it's usually the hardest workers that come out on top!
bounce_32
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:03 am

winner-within wrote:and on that note... with all the time at the end of the season there should be no back to back Region games during the season in a Super Region...NONE!
some say "it happens at tournament time" and I say Yep!! "and thats why they call it a Tournament"

If only scheduling were that easy.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:28 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:and on that note... with all the time at the end of the season there should be no back to back Region games during the season in a Super Region...NONE!

If there is a committee and a meeting to convert 2 districts into one Region than there can be an arranged get together with the AD's and Coaches to put together schedules that make sense to the format....so many want this and want that (3 classes etc etc) but in all reality it just ends up being lets push thes kids through and get'm outta here...............
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:37 am

winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

If there is a committee and a meeting to convert 2 districts into one Region than there can be an arranged get together with the AD's and Coaches to put together schedules that make sense to the format....so many want this and want that (3 classes etc etc) but in all reality it just ends up being lets push thes kids through and get'm outta here...............

You really don't realize how much time people who work with kids dedicate to those kids and how much time they spend trying to make the experiences better for the kids...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:47 am

winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Not true. Its more than just scheduling basketball games. Its scheduling opposite of wrestling. And state wresting. And regional girls basketball. And fitting in our non-conference games with non-region schools. And the girls play a different non-conference game - oh, and we need to worry about the school we are scheduling schedule for EVERYTHING. And local school plays, music performances, JH activities, PT conferences. Wednesdays are out. Having a weather make up day. Some schools play over the holidays, some won't. Way more than just "there should be no back to back regions games." Sit down with Manley or Laxdahl and they'll tell you how difficult it is.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

You really don't realize how much time people who work with kids dedicate to those kids and how much time they spend trying to make the experiences better for the kids...

Agree 100 %
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:56 am

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Please don't try and degrade me once again Schwab....it is the only time you ever chime in.....you have know idea what I realize....its so obvious that many on here don't like what I say because I'm far from "politically correct" and far from lets say "public school politics correct".....I have paid my taxes every year and I have paid for every lunch my children have eaten at a school....my mother cooked for 21 years in a school and all those kids were like her own....my father was a custodian in school for 12 years I have multiple family involved in Teaching and Coaching in more than just ND.....so you can't tell me what I realize.....but you can read what I realize and see from the outside looking in...and from knowing things you don't know....I am fairly passionate about education and sports and complacency is a word that should never be involved with both....now does this happen all the time and in every school? nope!....but it does happen and some kids get treated differently than others....I know...I'm living proof.....and as a mod you know who I am I'm sure......once again I will say that it is very obvious this forum is full of School officials and school affiliated but one can't be overly sensitive or one can't deny.....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Please don't try and degrade me once again Schwab....it is the only time you ever chime in.....you have know idea what I realize....its so obvious that many on here don't like what I say because I'm far from "politically correct" and far from lets say "public school politics correct".....I have paid my taxes every year and I have paid for every lunch my children have eaten at a school....my mother cooked for 21 years in a school and all those kids were like her own....my father was a custodian in school for 12 years I have multiple family involved in Teaching and Coaching in more than just ND.....so you can't tell me what I realize.....but you can read what I realize and see from the outside looking in...and from knowing things you don't know....I am fairly passionate about education and sports and complacency is a word that should never be involved with both....now does this happen all the time and in every school? nope!....but it does happen and some kids get treated differently than others....I know...I'm living proof.....and as a mod you know who I am I'm sure......once again I will say that it is very obvious this forum is full of School officials and school affiliated but one can't be overly sensitive or one can't deny.....

You can have your own opinions and are entitled to them, thank you for paying your taxes and paying for your kids to eat lunch, thank you to your mother and father for their services to school in positions that most of the time go unnoticed or that don't receive the proper respect they deserve.

I encourage you to do some research on public school performance when you talk about your consolidation of districts. I know as a taxpayer you are frustrated with how some schools are controlled and how some funds aren't being utilized to the best of their ability, I get it, I really do. I don't think that small schools are the ones who waste that money. Any time there is a change in the state legislature in the past few years it seems to cut funding for schools, which is exactly what we shouldn't cut.

I probably got a little upset when you summarized the work that AD's and Coaches do like this:

"If there is a committee and a meeting to convert 2 districts into one Region than there can be an arranged get together with the AD's and Coaches to put together schedules that make sense to the format....so many want this and want that (3 classes etc etc) but in all reality it just ends up being lets push these kids through and get'm outta here"

I don't come to your line of work and tell you how to do it, please don't take shots at people in the educational field.

I will answer some of your scheduling question concerns: say your school has boys and girls basketball A, B and C squads as well as Junior High games going on during the winter months. That's roughly 60 regular season games (as well as tournaments for B, C and JH teams). Regular Season for basketball runs from December through February 90 days approximately minus Wednesdays, Sundays, Christmas Eve, Day, NYE and Day (Subtract 28 days) that leaves us at 62 days, quite a feat to schedule 60 games in 62 days without factoring in weather. Now lets say your school also has wrestling, that takes most weekends and at least one match a week minimum. Scheduling all of this without having some teams play back to back nights would almost be impossible. Then you have to factor in the reffing shortage. I'll use region 7 (Dickinson Roughrider Officials Association). We have approximately 15 referees in our association that covers a minimum of 12 schools high school contests (not to mention all of the sub-varsity games in Dickinson). I would love to see anyone be able to come up with a schedule that keeps everyone happy (remember most families have kids participating in multiple sports during the winter).

The fact of the matter is this: 9 out of every 10 coaches and AD's are in those positions for the kids, I am not naive enough to believe that everyone of them is, but a vast majority are. During the coaching months those coaches spend more time with those athletes than they do with their own families, not for the paycheck, but simply for the love of the game and the kids they are fortunate enough to coach. I haven't ever met a coach who's mindset was simply "get'm outta here", if they have that mindset, they have no business being in the educational field.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Winner--Excuse my ignorance on the back to back games within Super region, what is the concern for that? Please send me the reason because I know that there is more to the story that maybe I missed in some early threads throughout the last few years. :)
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm

The Schwab wrote:
I encourage you to do some research on public school performance when you talk about your consolidation of districts. I know as a taxpayer you are frustrated with how some schools are controlled and how some funds aren't being utilized to the best of their ability, I get it, I really do. I don't think that small schools are the ones who waste that money. Any time there is a change in the state legislature in the past few years it seems to cut funding for schools, which is exactly what we shouldn't cut.

As an educator you need to wake up. North Dakota needs to wake up. There is no local control. Small schools are getting the shaft because of the states funding formula. The state limits what can be levied locally and the state is responsible to make up the bulk of the funding forcing small schools to consolidate or close.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:49 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

You can have your own opinions and are entitled to them, thank you for paying your taxes and paying for your kids to eat lunch, thank you to your mother and father for their services to school in positions that most of the time go unnoticed or that don't receive the proper respect they deserve.

I probably got a little upset when you summarized the work that AD's and Coaches do like this:

"If there is a committee and a meeting to convert 2 districts into one Region than there can be an arranged get together with the AD's and Coaches to put together schedules that make sense to the format....so many want this and want that (3 classes etc etc) but in all reality it just ends up being lets push these kids through and get'm outta here"

I don't come to your line of work and tell you how to do it, please don't take shots at people in the educational field.

I will answer some of your scheduling question concerns: say your school has boys and girls basketball A, B and C squads as well as Junior High games going on during the winter months. That's roughly 60 regular season games (as well as tournaments for B, C and JH teams). Regular Season for basketball runs from December through February 90 days approximately minus Wednesdays, Sundays, Christmas Eve, Day, NYE and Day (Subtract 28 days) that leaves us at 62 days, quite a feat to schedule 60 games in 62 days without factoring in weather. Now lets say your school also has wrestling, that takes most weekends and at least one match a week minimum. Scheduling all of this without having some teams play back to back nights would almost be impossible. Then you have to factor in the reffing shortage. I'll use region 7 (Dickinson Roughrider Officials Association). We have approximately 15 referees in our association that covers a minimum of 12 schools high school contests (not to mention all of the sub-varsity games in Dickinson). I would love to see anyone be able to come up with a schedule that keeps everyone happy (remember most families have kids participating in multiple sports during the winter).

The fact of the matter is this: 9 out of every 10 coaches and AD's are in those positions for the kids, I am not naive enough to believe that everyone of them is, but a vast majority are. During the coaching months those coaches spend more time with those athletes than they do with their own families, not for the paycheck, but simply for the love of the game and the kids they are fortunate enough to coach. I haven't ever met a coach who's mindset was simply "get'm outta here", if they have that mindset, they have no business being in the educational field.

I think this is the right place to discuss a lot of this for the simple fact like I said before this forum consists of many faculty, and its better than tweets or Facebook.....If your child was where I worked and you helped pay my wages you would be at my work place if you thought I wasn't working in the best interest of them at times....also School boards have to be at-tentative
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:54 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

I think this is the right place to discuss a lot of this for the simple fact like I said before this forum consists of many faculty, and its better than tweets or Facebook.....If your child was where I worked and you helped pay my wages you would be at my work place if you thought I wasn't working in the best interest of them at times....

I agree - if I believe someone is shorting my kids i'd be in immediately. When someone signs up to work with kids they have better have accepted that reality. I just don't agree with the premise that scheduling the bball season is easy and no one should have to play back to back nights.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:56 pm

I said back to back Region games...2 pointers!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:26 pm

winner-within wrote:I said back to back Region games...2 pointers!!

Still not that easy
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:I said back to back Region games...2 pointers!!

Still not that easy

you shouldn't put the word "easy" in there... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 pm

I could see possibly running Region Games on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, but what is the point of this? If your team is to make it to state they would have to go 3 days straight. So in some ways running 3 games on 4 nights should be preparation for the state tournament.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:57 pm

If there are real complaints against a school/teacher/coach then absolutely people have to be able to defend their actions.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 am

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Please don't try and degrade me once again Schwab....it is the only time you ever chime in.....you have know idea what I realize....its so obvious that many on here don't like what I say because I'm far from "politically correct" and far from lets say "public school politics correct".....I have paid my taxes every year and I have paid for every lunch my children have eaten at School ....my mother cooked for 21 years in a school and all those kids were like her own....my father was a custodian in school for 12 years I have multiple family involved in Teaching and Coaching in more than just ND.....so you can't tell me what I realize.....but you can read what I realize and see from the outside looking in...and from knowing things you don't know....I am fairly passionate about education and sports and complacency is a word that should never be involved with both....now does this happen all the time and in every school? nope!....but it does happen and some kids get treated differently than others....I know...I'm living proof.....and as a mod you know who I am I'm sure......once again I will say that it is very obvious this forum is full of School officials and school affiliated but one can't be overly sensitive or one can't deny.....

To exemplify and elaborate on this comment, I want people to know that I stated this because I'm almost certain my folks didn't pay for all our meals.....and that I believe it played a part in them not pointing out or expressing concern to the school in times they should have, feeling they didn't have as much ground to stand on per say.....I would hope that if I received assistance or anybody else does or has that this wouldn't be the case and that people would voice if need be!......It is very important that the nutrition is there on a daily basis for all kids and that is what I would want donations or tax money spent on in a Public School!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys