old school baseline

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

old school baseline

Postby ReadyToPlay » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 am

Still don't know the reason why a player in today's game cannot slide over to the baseline and use it as an asset instead of a liability. The scenario keeps happening---defensive player gives a player a free lane along the baseline, then opposite defender has to go help protect the basket, thus leaving his man for a shuffle pass to the basket.. The baseline is basic fundamental but have heard that this new way they are taught in "today's defense", is supposed to rotate this from happening.
Basically you are giving the offensive player three options--run the baseline for a reverse lay up, pass the ball to an incoming player, or pass the ball to a wing for a shot. With the baseline cut off, you are all sticking to your man with really no free offensive options. Anyone else notice this flaw?
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: old school baseline

Postby balla45 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 am

I do not understand what you are trying to articulate. Are you saying that you think help rotations are bad?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:40 am

Wouldn't have to rely on rotation if you took the baseline away in the first place. I remember back in the old days, the one thing defensively that sticks in my mind that the coach said was,"The baseline is our biggest asset--it's like a trap, take it away and there is no where to go."
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:19 am

Still confused. Are you a person who would have a defensive philosophy of giving up middle penetration as opposed to baseline penetration?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:19 pm

It is better to give up baseline than to let the ball get into the middle of the floor. ReadyToPlay put some scenarios out there about giving up baseline. Option are much greater for the offense and much tougher on the defense if the ball gets in the middle. If schooled properly the back side man will cut off baseline, drivers man will be on his hip. There will be no room for a pass under the hoop. Only options will be to pass the ball back where you came from or jump out and throw a pass to opposite baseline.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:21 pm

I think "give" is the wrong the word. We push them to the baseline. We try not to give them anything. If we get beat we want to get beat baseline. Getting beat middle creates way too many problems.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bingobangobongo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:27 pm

I understand what ReadyToPlay is getting at, and I remember the same defensive philosophy being prevalent in the 80's and early 90's when I played (at least in the old Region 5 area, which is now Region 3). It was the opposite of today's "Don't get beat, but if you do, force them baseline."

Back then, the idea was "Don't get beat, but if you do, force them to the middle," which was right into the teeth of your defense. This was for both man to man and any type of zone D. It was thought that the rotation to get down and cut off the baseline by the help defender was harder to do since it was an extra step or two, thus getting beat baseline was pretty much an automatic easy layup. But if you forced them middle, the help defense doesn't have to cover as much ground to stop the penetration.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:36 pm

I am guessing people no longer do that as the perimeter shot is a very useful weapon in today's game.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bingobangobongo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm

balla45 wrote:I am guessing people no longer do that as the perimeter shot is a very useful weapon in today's game.

I agree with you. I was "away" from the game for 10-15 years, and was surprised to see the change. But, it works, and is necessary with so many teams having multiple sharpshooters.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys