Mr. Basketball Finalists?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mr. Basketball Finalists?

Postby CentralCity » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Who are the top candidates in Class B Basketball?

Region 1- Andrew Christianson, Fargo Oak Grove
Region 3- Garrett Bickett, Carrington
Region 4- Kyler Mcgillis, St. Johns
Region 6- Anthony Vetter, Bishop Ryan
Region 7- Isaiah Kludt, Hettinger
Region 8- Wyatt Hanson, Stanley

This would be my list.
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Mr. Basketball Finalists?

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Region 2 Dalton Albrecht, Grafton, but maybe not as he is only a junior...
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:53 pm

there are quite a few others i would pick in region 6 over vetter.

Does it need to be a senior?
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Not sure how many candidates there will be, but I see a few names on that list that I think would be pretty good candidates.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 pm

The Schwab wrote:Not sure how many candidates there will be, but I see a few names on that list that I think would be pretty good candidates.

Key words: “a few names”...Others are All State Candidates, but not Mr. B.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Not sure how many candidates there will be, but I see a few names on that list that I think would be pretty good candidates.

Class A will occupy 2-4 spots for finalists as well...as it is a State-wide award not just a 'B' award.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:Region 2 Dalton Albrecht, Grafton, but maybe not as he is only a junior...

you should post more, you seem to really know basketball.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:02 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:

Class A will occupy 2-4 spots for finalists as well...as it is a State-wide award not just a 'B' award.

That’s what I was getting at Run. My point was that I’d be surprised to see more than two names on this list on the Mr. B finalist list.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:28 am

I think Class B might get 3 this year. I'm thinking McGillis and Hanson for sure and then Christianson will probably beat out Kludt because of Fargo Media.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 am

OldSchoolBaller wrote:I think Class B might get 3 this year. I'm thinking McGillis and Hanson for sure and then Christianson will probably beat out Kludt because of Fargo Media.

Honestly I think it will depend on which of those teams gets to the state tournament. If 3 of their teams make it to state and one doesn't that one will probably be the odd man out (unless it's Wyatt Hanson, then we could possibly have 4 class B candidates) that's my educated guess but I'm probably way off.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 am

The Schwab wrote:
OldSchoolBaller wrote:I think Class B might get 3 this year. I'm thinking McGillis and Hanson for sure and then Christianson will probably beat out Kludt because of Fargo Media.

Honestly I think it will depend on which of those teams gets to the state tournament. If 3 of their teams make it to state and one doesn't that one will probably be the odd man out (unless it's Wyatt Hanson, then we could possibly have 4 class B candidates) that's my educated guess but I'm probably way off.

Good Point. When are the finalists picked though? Is it before or after the State B Tournament field is set?
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:30 am

scc wrote:

"Fargo Media" accounts for a maximum of four votes. https://ndapssa.com/index.cfm?page=members

You also have Mayville with 2 and Valley City with 1 which are fairly close. Then you have Grand Forks with 3 which is also pretty close, and Region 2 or Grand Forks Area will probably not have a representative. Either way a kid from Fargo is going to get more media exposure than a kid from Hettinger for Mr. Basketball. That is not to say one is more deserving than the other, that is just the way that it is. You also have to remember that Christianson had a pretty good State Tournament last year, and the whole state got to see him on the big stage for 3 games.
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby CentralCity » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm

IMO Class B will get 3, maybe four candidates. What I should have said is "Who I think is good enough to be a Mr. Basketball candidate" I do not think all will be Mr. Basketball candidates, but they are all good enough. (Just my opinion)
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Generally Speaking? its all about stats
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby joew » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Anyone who has watched region 7 ball can't put Kludt on that list. Great athlete and good kid but against a strong Beulah Defense he was held to very few points. Beulah has 3 or 4 comparable kids. Christianson put up somewhere around 30 points against that same defense plus contributing in other ways. Hanson, Well he is just a outstanding athlete and deserves a strong look.
joew
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Howie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 am

Beulah has 3 or 4 comparable kids? No, they don't. Ferebee would be the only one on the level of Kludt. I would be willing to bet against Beulah Kludt was close to a triple double this year. There were 2 juniors on last years all-state team, Hanson and Kludt. There are good players across the state, please don't come on here and try to say that there are 3 or 4 kids from Beulah on the same level as Kludt. I bet if you asked Region 7 coaches to pick one kid to have on their team, Isaiah Kludt would be an answer by many.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Simply my personal opinion.

Of the players named, the only ones who I feel should be Mr. Basketball candidates are Wyatt Hanson and possibly Kyler McGillis. I have not had the chance to see McGillis play live, but from what I hear, he is in the upper echelon talent wise. No hate intended on anyone, but just obvious to me that Hanson is significantly better than the rest who I have seen, as are other players such as Josh Sipes, Joe Pistorius, Trae Steckler, or Jake Kava. I think everyone named is a good player, but just as an example, and not to pick on Andrew Christianson in particular, but I do not think he is a top 5 player in Fargo/West Fargo right now, so I would struggle to give him that honor when I feel there are a handful of players in his own area who are better high school basketball players.

Just my personal opinion. I do think all players are fun to watch and are talented, just feel that the talent gap between some is fairly large.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:07 pm

balla45 wrote:Simply my personal opinion.

Of the players named, the only ones who I feel should be Mr. Basketball candidates are Wyatt Hanson and possibly Kyler McGillis. I have not had the chance to see McGillis play live, but from what I hear, he is in the upper echelon talent wise. No hate intended on anyone, but just obvious to me that Hanson is significantly better than the rest who I have seen, as are other players such as Josh Sipes, Joe Pistorius, Trae Steckler, or Jake Kava. I think everyone named is a good player, but just as an example, and not to pick on Andrew Christianson in particular, but I do not think he is a top 5 player in Fargo/West Fargo right now, so I would struggle to give him that honor when I feel there are a handful of players in his own area who are better high school basketball players.

Just my personal opinion. I do think all players are fun to watch and are talented, just feel that the talent gap between some is fairly large.

I agree and like you say no disrespect....I've seen McGillis 2 times once as a Jr. and then again this year early in the season and he is complete....he is as complete or greater of a player than many many Mr. Basketball winners of the past....I saw Wyatt H. play the whole State tourney last year and was very impressed......definitely 2 different styles though.........they would be my top 2 from class B
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 pm

balla45 wrote:Simply my personal opinion.

AGREE 100%...Well said...My sentiments exactly.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby joew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Wasn't trying to make anyone mad. I said Kludt was a good player and would be a asset to any team. Playing Beulah he had 12 points 7rebounds. Ferebee Had 26 points 11 rebounds. Every games is different. I would put Ferebee ahead of Kludt but not in the same class as Hanson
joew
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Boys