Super Region

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Super Region

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:What if instead if the super region format we had a “Sub-Region” tournement before the Region tournement. The top 4 teams would be in the regional automatically but could still play each other in a 4 team sub-Region tournement for the top four seeds. The remaining 8 or 9 teams could play a sub-region tournement using the current district tournement format to get 4 qualifying teams for the regional.

Using region 2 as an example.

Tournement at highest seeds home court (if they hold enough people to host), In this case at Hillsboro. Friday and Saturday.
#1 HCV vs #4 Hatton-Northwood
#2 Thompson vs #3 Grafton

This would have a championship game deciding first and second seeds and a third place game to decide the third and fourth seeds for regionals.

Play in game
#13 Drayton/V-E @ #12 FSHP

Tournement at highest seeds home court (if they hold enough people to host), in this case at Park River. Friday, Saturday, and Monday.
#5 Park River vs play in winner
#8 Midway-Minto vs #9 Larimore
#6 May-Port-CH vs #11 North Border
#7 Cavalier vs #12 Griggs County Central

This would be exactly like the district tournement with loser out and region qualifying games. Top four move on to regions. I don’t think you would need to play every team in your region during the regular season with this either. Just require at least 10 different region opponents on schedule. This would give teams that tournement atmosphere and feel like they have a chance to make regions better than a single play in game.

all good stuff and something to ponder.....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ball4Him » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:What if instead if the super region format we had a “Sub-Region” tournement before the Region tournement. The top 4 teams would be in the regional automatically but could still play each other in a 4 team sub-Region tournement for the top four seeds. The remaining 8 or 9 teams could play a sub-region tournement using the current district tournement format to get 4 qualifying teams for the regional.

Tournement at highest seeds home court (if they hold enough people to host), In this case at Hillsboro. Friday and Saturday.

This would have a championship game deciding first and second seeds and a third place game to decide the third and fourth seeds for regionals.

Play in game

Tournement at highest seeds home court (if they hold enough people to host), in this case at Park River. Friday, Saturday, and Monday.

This would be exactly like the district tournement with loser out and region qualifying games. Top four move on to regions. I don’t think you would need to play every team in your region during the regular season with this either. Just require at least 10 different region opponents on schedule. This would give teams that tournement atmosphere and feel like they have a chance to make regions better than a single play in game.

Great Ideas. The only problem I see is what if the top seed can't host the tournament. Do you give the advantage to the second seed or the third seed? I think a alternate way to do this could be to have the top 4 tourney at the biggest, most centrally located lower seed, in this case probably MayPort. Have the lower seeds held at the biggest, most centrally located top seed, in this case Grafton. The only problem I see this way is a school might throw a fit about hosting a tournament they aren't in, while they a currently playing in a tournament somewhere else. If Grafton and MayPort don't want to host a tournament it can go to the next team.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Play in game

There are several problems here.

The regular season #5 seed would have to win three more subregion tournament games just to keep that 5 seed. Teams 6, 7 & 8 lose the home court advantage that they currently have. And I don't think teams 1-4 want to playing each other an extra time just one week before the regional tournament.

A Super Region needs to have a full, balanced schedule with every team playing every other team one time. That's the best way to establish seeds. One man's opinion.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 am

HCV grinds through 2 months of undefeated region play only get the #1 seed in the seeding tournament? The current plan is better.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:

Play in game

The regular season #5 seed would have to win three more subregion tournament games just to keep that 5 seed. Teams 6, 7 & 8 lose the home court advantage that they currently have. And I don't think teams 1-4 want to playing each other an extra time just one week before the regional tournament.

A Super Region needs to have a full, balanced schedule with every team playing every other team one time. That's the best way to establish seeds. One man's opinion.

the more I look at this, I agree Bisonguy06......The one thing that is not going to change is certain teams always on top or towards the top in all regions.....but this is the case throughout the State and If complacency continues in Class B Basketball well then ND will always field its State tournament with Bigs and Privates....and three classes is not the answer IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:53 pm

winner-within wrote:
Bisonguy06 wrote:

Play in game

the more I look at this, I agree Bisonguy06......The one thing that is not going to change is certain teams always on top or towards the top in all regions.....but this is the case throughout the State and If complacency continues in Class B Basketball well then ND will always field its State tournament with Bigs and Privates....and three classes is not the answer IMO

What is the answer then?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:08 am

Less total Schools in operation resulting in more Schools with above 125 enrollment
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:16 pm

What about a super region tournament format for the other five regions.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby justplayalready » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Not a slam on R3, but since they were on TV today I'll use it as my example...

There is no reason any region game should be played before 6 pm on a weekday. Period. !
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby 4thegame » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 am

tell me if I'm wrong, but most teams today are made up of kids playing basketball, instead of kids who are basketball players. Schools need to spend more time developing players at younger ages during school hours (as in sport specific physical education and get away from a "well rounded experience" like broom ball for example), especially in these co-op districts where classmates live 50 miles or further away from each other. access to coaches, weight rooms, and kids to play against will always benefit and favor metro/large class b schools. IMO if you want to even things out for co-ops your going to have to make rule changes like player/coach access during phy ed time, player/coach access in the offseason, etc.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 am

justplayalready wrote:Not a slam on R3, but since they were on TV today I'll use it as my example...

There is no reason any region game should be played before 6 pm on a weekday. Period. !

I don't know what the attendance was for the afternoon games, but it could not have been enough to pay for the officials and the Civic Center. Does the NDHSAA track attendance at Regional Tournaments?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys