Re: Region 8 - 2017-18 Predictions

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby OLDBBfAN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm

What is the predictions for Region 8 for next season?
OLDBBfAN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Region 8
1: Stanley should run away with title
2: Watford City have some good guards
3: North Shore Plaza
4: Burke County
5: Kenmare
6: Mandaree
7: New Town
8: Ray
Imo top 4 from each district
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am

Stanley - is the best, hands down. Have a chance to win it all.
Powerslake - I think they are the second best team. They just lack size, but alwasy seem to make up for it.
Watford - they return about everything, they are deep, but no players has amazing talent all just play hard.
Newtown - they will be alot like they have been last few years. shoot 3s and press.
North SHore - not getting enough respect. 2 very good big guys, and also and good sophmore guard
Burke COunty - could eaisy be a top 3 team. The guards seem to have a lack of confidence besides Dix
Kenmare - lost alot but still have 4 seniors and jacob rodin, they will be competitve like always
Parshall - i think they may surprise ppl, still have billy and also had very good guards on the JV team last year
Mandaree/White shield could be very good, just seem to be undisciplined at times, and struggle staying eligable
Trenton is alot better. have a lot of young boys that have played alot of varisty time
Trintity Christian lost 7 seniors last year that have done all the playing time the previous 3 years. so no experience, and shouldbe down for the next couple years
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Went to the new town vs powers lake game last night. New Town jumped ahead 20 points about 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter then foul trouble started for there big guys I think 3 of there 4 big guys had 3 fouls that early. After that power lake chiped away at there lead made for a better game though , because it was starting to look like a blow out
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:02 pm

1: Stanley
2: Watford City almost beat new town with 3 players
Missing
3: North Shore Plaza the Edwards kid is what they needed
If they are to have a chance of beating
Stanley
4: Powers Lake they have a chance if they make you play
there style of game
5: White Shield these kids are very quick and can shoot
6: New Town Hard to figure out right now let's just say
they will have a chance if they want too
7: Burke County
8: Mandaree
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Well i have seen most of the top teams so far and here is a updated list of top teams in region

1: Stanley
2: Powers Lake
3: White Shield
4: New Town
5: North Shore
6: Mandaree
7: Watford City
8: Burke County
IMO Stanley is still the best team but any team 2 through 7 can come out of this region as it is very hard to repeat a trip back to state
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thundersnow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:11 pm

January is almost over and this Region is still almost impossible to predict. But I'm going to try anyway:

1. Stanley - Defending champs and still undefeated so I have to put them at #1. Wyatt Hanson is a special athlete and this group knows how to win. Their closest games have been against Region opponents Powers Lake (46-40) and Watford City (70-65).
2. New Town - The Eagles offense is fun to watch and hard to stop, especially when LeBeau is hitting 3's. Their defense relies on forcing turnovers so a disciplined offense can score against them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they got hot during tournament time and ran the table to state.
3. Powers Lake - All 4 of their losses have been 6 points or less. They will not get blown out by anybody so the Ranchers are dangerous
4. White Shield - Very impressive win over North Shore-Plaza. I didn't see that game, but the result shows these guys are for real.
5. Kenmare - So far their only losses have come from outside the Region, but they haven't played all the top teams yet. I like Rodin, but I don't think he's enough to get them to state.
6. Watford City - Way better than their 2-10 record. Lost to Stanley by 1 at Regionals last year and led them most of the game this year before falling by 5. They lack size and a go-to scorer, but play hard all the time and might reap the benefits of playing an A/B hybrid schedule come tournament time.
7. North Shore-Plaza - Hart Andes might be the most underrated player in the state. Their guards worry me at times. They are well-coached and need to be firing on all cylinders to beat the top teams in this region.
8. Mandaree - Haven't seen them play yet, but have heard they can play with anybody
9. Parshall - Very different roster from the last few years
10. Burke County - Incredible size, they present matchup problems to everybody in the region besides Stanley

I think District 15 is the most balanced in the state from teams 1-6. Two high quality teams will be left out of the Region 8 Tournament. Stanley is still the team to beat, but there is a lot of great basketball left to played here in the northwest corner of the state.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 am

From what I've seen so far, I don't know why people are sleeping on this region or claiming that Stanley has a soft schedule, while having to play New Town, Powers Lake, etc. I think any of these teams in the top 6 could win on any given day. The White Shield v. North Shore/Plaza game was really good. White Shield had no answer for their size, but NS/P had no answer to White Shield's speed. I think Powers Lake is very underrated.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Edger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am

theman wrote:From what I've seen so far, I don't know why people are sleeping on this region or claiming that Stanley has a soft schedule, while having to play New Town, Powers Lake, etc. I think any of these teams in the top 6 could win on any given day. The White Shield v. North Shore/Plaza game was really good. White Shield had no answer for their size, but NS/P had no answer to White Shield's speed. I think Powers Lake is very underrated.

I felt their schedule was soft, because the majority of RV and State ranked teams have played other State ranked competition or other RV's. In fact, some State ranked teams have played more than a couple of other State Ranked teams or RVs for that matter, but Stanley has not. NT is RV, but that is the only other team from Region 8.

Have you saw any of the other State Ranked teams play or just Region 8's great competition?

I'm not hating on Stanley, I just think that the other State ranked teams will be that much more rounded and ready when it comes Tournament time.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Re: Re: Region 8 - 2017-18 Predictions

Postby packers21 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Hard to imagine a team capable to match up with the talent and athleticism that Stanley has but I just don’t think they have what it takes to win it. They had chance after chance to put away little Bismarck last night and were so undisciplined and wreckless with possessions the entire game. I will be cheering for them, they are blast to watch, but definitely have to clean it up.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HSsportFan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Edger wrote:
theman wrote:From what I've seen so far, I don't know why people are sleeping on this region or claiming that Stanley has a soft schedule, while having to play New Town, Powers Lake, etc. I think any of these teams in the top 6 could win on any given day. The White Shield v. North Shore/Plaza game was really good. White Shield had no answer for their size, but NS/P had no answer to White Shield's speed. I think Powers Lake is very underrated.

I felt their schedule was soft, because the majority of RV and State ranked teams have played other State ranked competition or other RV's. In fact, some State ranked teams have played more than a couple of other State Ranked teams or RVs for that matter, but Stanley has not. NT is RV, but that is the only other team from Region 8.

Have you saw any of the other State Ranked teams play or just Region 8's great competition?

I'm not hating on Stanley, I just think that the other State ranked teams will be that much more rounded and ready when it comes Tournament time.

Looking at the top ten ranked teams Fargo Oak Grove has 2 wins over top ten teams and Hillsboro-Central Valley, Minot Ryan, Stanley, Bottineau each have just one. So the argument that other teams play better competition really does not hold up. I also looked at strength of victory(SOV) and Stanley is ranked 4th out of all the top ten or RV only behind Dunsieth, New Town and FOGrove so their schedule is actually tougher than most. I use SOV instead of SOS because you shouldn't be rewarded for loses.

Stanley did not play their best against Shilo, missed more shots in the paint than previous games. The refs did let them play and both teams struggled getting off good uncontested shots. The thing that I liked most is when Shilo took their first lead with 4 minutes to go in the game Stanley responded with 9 unanswered to finish off the game.
HSsportFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:03 pm

scc wrote:
HSsportFan wrote:
Edger wrote:

Looking at the top ten ranked teams Fargo Oak Grove has 2 wins over top ten teams and Hillsboro-Central Valley, Minot Ryan, Stanley, Bottineau each have just one. So the argument that other teams play better competition really does not hold up. I also looked at strength of victory(SOV) and Stanley is ranked 4th out of all the top ten or RV only behind Dunsieth, New Town and FOGrove so their schedule is actually tougher than most. I use SOV instead of SOS because you shouldn't be rewarded for loses.

Stanley did not play their best against Shilo, missed more shots in the paint than previous games. The refs did let them play and both teams struggled getting off good uncontested shots. The thing that I liked most is when Shilo took their first lead with 4 minutes to go in the game Stanley responded with 9 unanswered to finish off the game.

HCV has 2 wins against top ten teams (Oak Grove and Thompson). SOS factors in opponents and opponents' opponents. Does SOV? If not, you could play a lot of teams in a relatively weaker region and still have an artificially higher SOV.

Stanley is right behind HCV on nd class b computer ratings
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 pm

SOS that is
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 pm

As far as ratings for region 8 IMO

Stanley
Watford City
Powers Lake
New Town
White Shield
NSP
Mandaree
Kenmare
Top 8 as of right now, one really good team will not make it to regionals out of district 15
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby HSsportFan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:32 am

1. Stanley 8-0 (14-0) – The obvious favorite
2. New Town (13-1) – Cause problems with their quickness and rebounding. Staying focus on defense will be their undoing
3. Powers Lake 5-4 (10-5) – Always find away to be in the game and can sneak out some wins
4. Kenmare 8-0 (10-4) – Playing better as late. Home field for Districts will them get a good Reg. seed
5. North Shore-Plaza (10-4) – Another team that hangs around and plays most teams very tough
6. White Shield (10-4) – Heard a lot of good things about this team but I have not seen them play yet
7. Burke County 3-6 (7-8) – their size will give some teams trouble.
8. Mandaree (8-5) – Lost some games lately that I thought they should have won
HSsportFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HSsportFan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Jack8 wrote:As far as ratings for region 8 IMO

Stanley
Watford City
Powers Lake
New Town
White Shield
NSP
Mandaree
Kenmare
Top 8 as of right now, one really good team will not make it to regionals out of district 15

Jack: Am I missing something on WC or are do you have a secret you want to share? I realize they have played a lot of Class A schools but still they only have 3 wins so far.
HSsportFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:07 pm

HSsportFan wrote:
Jack8 wrote:As far as ratings for region 8 IMO

Stanley
Watford City
Powers Lake
New Town
White Shield
NSP
Mandaree
Kenmare

Jack: Am I missing something on WC or are do you have a secret you want to share? I realize they have played a lot of Class A schools but still they only have 3 wins so far.

I'm just going on what I have seen no secret .
They were missing some players when they played new town early in the season and gave them a good scare.
They beat mandaree and white shield with there jv.
And there lost to Stanley of 5 points is the closest a team has lost to Stanley so far.
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Thought it might be worth mentioning that Jesse White (White Shield) hit 1000 varsity points last week against Mandaree as a freshman. I find that to just be incredible.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:02 pm

theman wrote:Thought it might be worth mentioning that Jesse White (White Shield) hit 1000 varsity points last week against Mandaree as a freshman. I find that to just be incredible.

Wow, that is awesome. How old is he? He must have been playing as a seventh grader?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby theman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:05 pm

d_fense wrote:
theman wrote:Thought it might be worth mentioning that Jesse White (White Shield) hit 1000 varsity points last week against Mandaree as a freshman. I find that to just be incredible.

Wow, that is awesome. How old is he? He must have been playing as a seventh grader?

Yes. 3rd year of varsity.
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jack8 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Stanley loses for the 2nd time in as many nights.
Anyone at this game did NSP just out play or was there foul trouble as stanley has a short bench and could be a problem come tournament time..
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby stir the pot » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 am

I see TLMM defeated New Town JV. Why is it listed as JV other than that would have been their 18th or 19th game with games left against Shiloh and Beulah how many games can you play. 19 regular season?
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby aNDkid91 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 am

Jack8 wrote:Stanley loses for the 2nd time in as many nights.
Anyone at this game did NSP just out play or was there foul trouble as stanley has a short bench and could be a problem come tournament time..

I don't have much detail about the NSP game but I know with MLS it was a hard fought game all the way through. Could be the boys just didn't have the energy needed. I'm trying to get info on the game and if I do, I'll pass it along.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby gsiouxo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 am

See Kaydn Hanson only scored 4 points....going to assume he was in foul trouble...was told earlier in season by a Stanley follower that North Shore/Plaza would be a team to watch out for
gsiouxo
NDPreps Rookie

Postby stir the pot » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 am

scc wrote:
stir the pot wrote:I see TLMM defeated New Town JV. Why is it listed as JV other than that would have been their 18th or 19th game with games left against Shiloh and Beulah how many games can you play. 19 regular season?

Yes, teams in regions with district tournaments may not exceed 19 regular season games.

So varsity game for TLMM and JV game for New Town right ?

Just saw TLMM Trapper Jacobs scored 50 in the Bismarck Tribune no mention of 3-pointers.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys