Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Statewide Girls Hockey!

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:50 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:
hazpay wrote:I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?

They have a U19 team. They are like 13-1 in the state. Grow the sport. To do that get more teams at the high school level. Would be nice to have a west and east region tourney. Simply asinine they don't have 2 teams.

I really don't think they have a 19U team. I think their 14U team plays some 19U teams.

http://www.ndaha.org/page/show/1497297-state-league

But if you look at the roster, its the same as the 14U roster on their website. And thanks Run for your input! :)

Looks like different players to me although a few are the same. Bottom line is get 2 teams. Grow the high school game.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:17 am

hockeynut wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:
hazpay wrote:I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?

They have a U19 team. They are like 13-1 in the state. Grow the sport. To do that get more teams at the high school level. Would be nice to have a west and east region tourney. Simply asinine they don't have 2 teams.

I really don't think they have a 19U team. I think their 14U team plays some 19U teams.

http://www.ndaha.org/page/show/1497297-state-league

But if you look at the roster, its the same as the 14U roster on their website. And thanks Run for your input! :)

Looks like different players to me although a few are the same. Bottom line is get 2 teams. Grow the high school game.

I agree with you. If the schools had their own team, at least they may even get more student fan support from their respective schools. The Bismarck and Century high school rivalry is one of the best in the state in all sports.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hockeynut » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:51 pm

Bismarck has a JV squad and full u19 team yet one high school team still. I just can't believe the brass at the NDHAA doesn't step in and force them to have 2 teams. Unreal.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby waldo8403 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:19 am

Not to mention, the roster for the 19U team has 19 girls on it!
waldo8403
NDPreps Rookie

Postby waldo8403 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 pm

And the High School team has 25 on the roster, sure seems like you could field 2 varsity teams. I know Minot had 10 skaters two years ago and held their own, they ended up taking 5th place at state. Bismarck's 19U team is 12-0 with a goal differential of 89!
waldo8403
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hazpay » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:40 am

hockeynut wrote:Bismarck has a JV squad and full u19 team yet one high school team still. I just can't believe the brass at the NDHAA doesn't step in and force them to have 2 teams. Unreal.

Just to clarify, Bismarck doesn't have a 19U team. 14U is the oldest group in BHB. I believe, however, they're playing a 19U schedule.
hazpay
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Their high school team is made up of a lot of 8th and 9th graders, so 14U must be the skill set their program is going for. It would be nice to see at least 2 teams from the 5 high schools that are represented on the Bismarck team. It would increase a little more interest in the sport, have some more competitive games, and would allow the athletes to showcase individual skills.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hockeynut » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:16 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Their high school team is made up of a lot of 8th and 9th graders, so 14U must be the skill set their program is going for. It would be nice to see at least 2 teams from the 5 high schools that are represented on the Bismarck team. It would increase a little more interest in the sport, have some more competitive games, and would allow the athletes to showcase individual skills.

Great post and I've been saying basically the same thing for the past 4 years.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:20 am

hazpay wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Bismarck has a JV squad and full u19 team yet one high school team still. I just can't believe the brass at the NDHAA doesn't step in and force them to have 2 teams. Unreal.

Just to clarify, Bismarck doesn't have a 19U team. 14U is the oldest group in BHB. I believe, however, they're playing a 19U schedule.

Yet they are still undefeated at that level even.

http://www.ndaha.org/page/show/2220288
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 am

hockeynut wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Their high school team is made up of a lot of 8th and 9th graders, so 14U must be the skill set their program is going for. It would be nice to see at least 2 teams from the 5 high schools that are represented on the Bismarck team. It would increase a little more interest in the sport, have some more competitive games, and would allow the athletes to showcase individual skills.

Great post and I've been saying basically the same thing for the past 4 years.

Recently, the hockey program had asked for money from Bismarck Public Schools to help add more sheets of ice for the local athletes in the area, and it was turned down. They were able to raise the funds thru their own fundraising and Parks & Rec and without going thru the schools, but do you think that extra ice times would encourage an additional girls team?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brucespook » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 pm

Here's what we tried to do two years ago. Bismarck had 39 girls eligible to play HS hockey in 14-15. We proposed to the school district to add another team. One problem is more girls went to Century than BHS but the numbers could have worked with the addition of Legacy and the St. Mary's coop. The parents and coach at the time fought tooth and nail to not allow another team. They came up with all kinds of scenarios where it wouldn't work. They were more powerful than those of us who wanted the opportunity for more girls to play HS hockey. I was told "we want to be competitive" The BHB board tried to silence those of us who wanted the girls to get more opportunity. Even tried to ban me from the rink on made up charges. The school district came up with the insane idea of having a JV team in 14-15 to try and keep all the girls playing but this was a doomed endeavor as there is no one to play. In girls hockey you can play with 14 and be competitive. The coach isn't going to play 20, there is too much pressure from the "power parents". So 14 play, 6 don't get to play and 7 only get to practice. Is it any wonder their plan fell apart? Too many girls quit the sport to have two teams in 15-16.

There were many hoaxes pulled to get the school district on this path. One family sold their business and said they were leaving town.... a lie of course, the parents of the young 8th and 9th graders told the school their child wouldn't play HS because the girls are older and stronger... even though they play a 19U schedule against some very strong and older players at 14U... also they all tried out for HS once there was only one team.... Liars.

Fact of the matter is if the school district would have made the move in 14-15, some of the girls from outside Bismarck may have played in Bismarck, BHS and CHS both would have made the state tournament and been "competitive", 10-12 girls would be PLAYING hockey this year that either quit or don't get to see the ice as they aren't the coaches darlings. This year the odds would be pretty good that BHS and CHS would be playing for a state championship, what would that do for the numbers in girls hockey in Bismarck?
The new rink was also an excuse but the power behind the one team also was in charge of the effort to get this rink built and it took 5 years for them to get started so it could be used as an reason to not have another high school team in town. Its unbelievable the extent these parents went through to keep their juggernaut alive. They could have had two but now they barely have one. The numbers for Bismarck girls will continue to drop as the young non stud players learn that its all about the star player at the high school level and there will be no place for them. Parents will eye the high cost of hockey in Bismarck and encourage the lesser skilled players to go an alternative route. Hope I'm wrong but this is the path they are on. Skippy and Fetch were too short sighted to see the big picture.

West Fargo and Grand Forks have their own ways of keeping their numbers down. GF doesn't have 14U so in effect they cut 7th graders out. If you're not the top 5 on 12 U might as well take up another sport because they don't want you.
brucespook
NDPreps Rookie

Postby waldo8403 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:15 am

Just heard of another issue with Bismarck hockey. According to the NDAHA rules, you are supposed to have one Boys Bantam A team as a feeder for every boys high school team. Well this year Bismarck only has one bantam A team and they were spanking everyone so the state moved them up to the new AA league for the state tournament.
waldo8403
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:27 pm

Wow. Girls hockey already struggles to get respect, and it gets even tougher when games are blow outs with 8th and 9th graders playing. High schoolers don't want to come cheer for a team that doesn't directly represent their school, and they aren't going to cheer for young kids that they don't know. The parents seem to spend a lot of time and money to give their kids a mediocre experience. The clothing must be nice, and kids really like clothing.

With that said, Mandan seems to be going in the right direction. I don't know if they co-op with anyone, but they seem to consistently put a competitive team on the ice.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brucespook » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:12 pm

Mandan has good numbers with I believe some new kids that came to town also. Those girls I would venture a guess would have come to Bismarck if there was any place to play in Bismarck. The people running Bismarcks program made a concerted effort to keep the numbers low enough to keep from having two teams. Bismarck's coach at the time had an infatuation with West Fargo and their coach. She wanted Bismarck's program to be just like theirs, good players go right to HS out of 12U and the rest wither and die. The parent's bought into this and believed that all their girls would play D1 hockey because of her and her "great" hockey mind. Not one player off her teams is playing any hockey except those still playing pickup games. She single handedly set the Bismarck girls hockey program back a decade. Of the girls who are seniors this year most had to play a 19U schedule as sophomores and juniors as there were no spots available on the HS team. 18 girls played 19U that year, the year Skippy choked it off at the state tournament. That 19U team would have most likely made the state tournament if they were in the HS league. The board of Bismarck Hockey announced at the end of that year that they would not roster anyone too old to qualify for 14U, effectively giving the players no place to go except to the HS team with its 39 players. Quite a few quit playing that year and some of those that never got to play quit this year. It pains me to see the hard work some of these girls put in to get stiffed by people who are supposed to care about the game and its players. Hey they'll probably win another state title that their parents can talk about ad nauseum at their cocktail parties.
brucespook
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sioux789 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:59 am

All i can say if you call Bismarck a super team then you're watching only North Dakota high school girls hockey. The talent in the state is at an all time low. I have seen 12u Minnesota teams that would beat almost every North Dakota high School team. The skill level is awful, especially the skating! Which leads me to say that only by expanding the teams will the talent level go up.
sioux789
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:33 am

sioux789 wrote:All i can say if you call Bismarck a super team then you're watching only North Dakota high school girls hockey. The talent in the state is at an all time low. I have seen 12u Minnesota teams that would beat almost every North Dakota high School team. The skill level is awful, especially the skating! Which leads me to say that only by expanding the teams will the talent level go up.

I don't think anyone really thinks they are a super team in terms of overwhelming talent. Most think they are a stacked team in North Dakota with the number of players they can draw from. Just like not all Class A teams are better than all Class B teams, but they have to compete in Class A because of the number of kids they can draw from.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hockeynut » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:36 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
sioux789 wrote:All i can say if you call Bismarck a super team then you're watching only North Dakota high school girls hockey. The talent in the state is at an all time low. I have seen 12u Minnesota teams that would beat almost every North Dakota high School team. The skill level is awful, especially the skating! Which leads me to say that only by expanding the teams will the talent level go up.

I don't think anyone really thinks they are a super team in terms of overwhelming talent. Most think they are a stacked team in North Dakota with the number of players they can draw from. Just like not all Class A teams are better than all Class B teams, but they have to compete in Class A because of the number of kids they can draw from.

All we are saying is they are an all star team from Bismarck because that town has 5 high schools. I agree the talent level has dropped since I coached high school girls hockey 3 years ago. With that said the numbers seem to be increasing. We have the 14U state tourney in town right now. 15 14U teams in it. When I coached 14U 8 years ago there were 6 teams at our state tourney. Hopefully with more girls the quality of play on the ice will get better.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Finally and I mean finally Bismarck will have 2 high school girl teams for the 2018-19 season.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:48 pm

hockeynut wrote:Finally and I mean finally Bismarck will have 2 high school girl teams for the 2018-19 season.

I will believe it when I see it. Fingers crossed. But I have a feeling some excuse with be made not to. :-(
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:02 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Finally and I mean finally Bismarck will have 2 high school girl teams for the 2018-19 season.

I will believe it when I see it. Fingers crossed. But I have a feeling some excuse with be made not to. :-(

Very true
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:34 am

So this weekend Bismarck had a tourney in Blaine - went 1-2 with the "varsity squad" - yet the "JV" won their tournament? How is Bismarck allowed to enter a "JV" team in a tourney, when we are told they don't have the numbers to do this? There isn't even a "JV" team listed on BPS. Better have two teams next year, as only have 3 seniors and a pack waiting at 15U waiting to come up. Or should I say 19U as they play the "alternative high school" league in the state.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:So this weekend Bismarck had a tourney in Blaine - went 1-2 with the "varsity squad" - yet the "JV" won their tournament? How is Bismarck allowed to enter a "JV" team in a tourney, when we are told they don't have the numbers to do this? There isn't even a "JV" team listed on BPS. Better have two teams next year, as only have 3 seniors and a pack waiting at 15U waiting to come up. Or should I say 19U as they play the "alternative high school" league in the state.

First I’ve seen this. Like you said in an earlier post. Have to see it to believe it if and when they have 2 teams.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Word on the street is there will only be 1 team in Bismarck next season yet again. The reason. Not enough goalies. Unbelievable.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

hockeynut wrote:Word on the street is there will only be 1 team in Bismarck next season yet again. The reason. Not enough goalies. Unbelievable.

Maybe the should start developing some goalies then ;)

If Fargo can have 2 teams...then Bismarck should be able to have 2 teams (not sure on GF as I don't know much about their program other than scores).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hockeynut » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Word on the street is there will only be 1 team in Bismarck next season yet again. The reason. Not enough goalies. Unbelievable.

Maybe the should start developing some goalies then ;)

If Fargo can have 2 teams...then Bismarck should be able to have 2 teams (not sure on GF as I don't know much about their program other than scores).

Just an excuse not to have 2 teams is all it is. I find it hard to believe considering the amount of players in that town. When I took over the program in town here in Jamestown I developed 2 of them right off the bat. They took their lumps right away but by the time the better one was a senior she was all state.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls hockey