2017-18 Polls

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2017-18 Polls

Postby packers21 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:54 am

Flip wrote:If someone were to say, "HCV is the best team in the state." Give me a case against it.

Bc I think they might just be the 3rd best team in the toughest region in the state.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 am

Flip wrote:If someone were to say, "HCV is the best team in the state." Give me a case against it.

We'll see who the best in the Region is next week when they play Thompson...then you can start comparing as Thompson has a big one against Bishop Ryan tomorrow (Saturday). This is a BIG couple of weeks for quality matchups and we'll see where teams are at during that 2nd week of January.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

We'll see who the best in the Region is next week when they play Thompson...then you can start comparing as Thompson has a big one against Bishop Ryan tomorrow (Saturday). This is a BIG couple of weeks for quality matchups and we'll see where teams are at during that 2nd week of January.

Wow...Quite a schedule for Thompson. They play/played Carrington, Trinity, Ryan and HCV in about a 10 day period!
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 pm

FOURTH POLL
Tuesday, January 2nd

1. Bishop Ryan (4) 5-0 157
2. Stanley (12) 5-0 152
3. St. John 7-0 123
4. Hillsboro-Central Valley (1) 5-0 122
5. Thompson 5-1 95
6. Grafton 6-0 81
7. Shiloh Christian 4-1 68
8. Oak Grove 4-1 45
9. Our Redeemer's 5-0 36
10. Maple Valley 5-0 15
Others Receiving Votes: Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (4-0), New Town (4-0), Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood (5-0), Richland (5-0), Solen (6-0), Carrington (3-2), Dickinson Trinity (4-3), Bottineau (5-1), Beulah (3-3), Des Lacs-Burlington (3-3).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby spins » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:37 am

Seems like every year, at some point, there are at least 4 private schools ranked.
Why does this bother me so much?

I look at a team like MLS, who hasn't sniffed a top 10 or a state birth in many years. They have a legit chance of going to state this year if it were not for the 2 powerhouse private schools in their region. Oh well...maybe in 20 more years.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Edger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 pm

spins wrote:Seems like every year, at some point, there are at least 4 private schools ranked.
Why does this bother me so much?

I look at a team like MLS, who hasn't sniffed a top 10 or a state birth in many years. They have a legit chance of going to state this year if it were not for the 2 powerhouse private schools in their region. Oh well...maybe in 20 more years.

I have mixed feelings about this. It does get tough to see so many private schools represented each year but at the same time it makes the Titles that much sweeter when one of the smaller schools gets to the big dance. I'm afraid it may become less exciting all around if we switched to a 3 class system. Just my opinion.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby spins » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:47 pm

i dont mind schools like rugby, beulah, Stanley..ect.. competing with smaller schools. Thats still class B. The big difference is even the bigger enrollment schools have down years. All schools have ebbs and flows. The only consistent seems to be Shilo, Ryan, Oak Grove..ect. Give them there own class. Eliminate all private schools from class B and there is still 100 teams to compete for the true class B title.

I guess it annoys me more than it should.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:54 pm

Give them their own region and let them send one to state, 3 class system will happen way before that does tho
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm

spins wrote:i dont mind schools like rugby, beulah, Stanley..ect.. competing with smaller schools. Thats still class B. The big difference is even the bigger enrollment schools have down years. All schools have ebbs and flows. The only consistent seems to be Shilo, Ryan, Oak Grove..ect. Give them there own class. Eliminate all private schools from class B and there is still 100 teams to compete for the true class B title.

I think a lot of people are on your side with that one.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby spins » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 pm

packers21 wrote:Give them their own region and let them send one to state, 3 class system will happen way before that does tho

not a bad idea. I would say let the class B champ play the private school champ.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby Edger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

spins wrote:i dont mind schools like rugby, beulah, Stanley..ect.. competing with smaller schools. Thats still class B. The big difference is even the bigger enrollment schools have down years. All schools have ebbs and flows. The only consistent seems to be Shilo, Ryan, Oak Grove..ect. Give them there own class. Eliminate all private schools from class B and there is still 100 teams to compete for the true class B title.

I know where you're coming from. I've always thought that Region 6 is one of the toughest regions in class B because of Ryan and Orcs and given all the State Ranked teams along with the RV getters, it appears this season is no different. After Ryan and DLB wins this weekend, it probably is the toughest region at the moment. Looking forward to some great upcoming district and region matchups though. Eagerly waiting for Thompson and HCV game too!
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Postby OLDBBfAN » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 pm

All the more reason for 3 Class system. A school at 400 play a school with 2000 (doesnt sound right). Right now only the largest of the Class A schools complete year after year and the private schools in Class B. Get a 3 Class system going and it fixes a lot of issues. I have been to Montana's Class B & C tournaments and there is no way you can tell me that our Class B is better.
OLDBBfAN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 pm

OLDBBfAN wrote: I have been to Montana's Class B & C tournaments and there is no way you can tell me that our Class B is better.

What's your point?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:41 am

OLDBBfAN wrote: I have been to Montana's Class B & C tournaments and there is no way you can tell me that our Class B is better.

I would say the same thing about the South Dakota B and A Tournaments. I believe the biggest issue the NDHSAA has with the 3 class system is that they would have to schedule state tournaments on 3 different weekends (actually 5 if the bottom 2 classes held separate state tournaments). It would be difficult to find enough venues and it would definitely affect TV broadcasts. The TV money for the state Class B tournaments has to be a major factor in the NDHSAA decision making in my opinion. Still, I would love to see all Privates moved up to Class A or a 3 class system.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby OLDBBfAN » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 pm

My point is that instead of complaining about the private schools push for a 3 Class system and put them all in the middle Class. With the split between Class A & B at 325 it is way out of wack with large Class A and small Class A. Even in Class B the larger schools seem to have the advantage year after year (this includes all the coops).
OLDBBfAN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Sportsrube wrote:

I would say the same thing about the South Dakota B and A Tournaments. I believe the biggest issue the NDHSAA has with the 3 class system is that they would have to schedule state tournaments on 3 different weekends (actually 5 if the bottom 2 classes held separate state tournaments). It would be difficult to find enough venues and it would definitely affect TV broadcasts. The TV money for the state Class B tournaments has to be a major factor in the NDHSAA decision making in my opinion. Still, I would love to see all Privates moved up to Class A or a 3 class system.

State tournaments are on three different weekends right now. Wouldn't take much adjusting. Just have to have boys and girls for each class on the same weekend, which would help boost attendance anyway. Right now the B girls isn't much of a draw for attendance.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby OLDBBfAN » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:48 pm

ndlionsfan excellent response! I couldn't of said it better myself.
OLDBBfAN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby aNDkid91 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:

I think a lot of people are on your side with that one.

I am!! I would love to see private schools be moved up to Class A.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby muley14 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:26 pm

I don't believe the NDHSAA will (or should) create divisions by any other method than enrollment.

Take a look at the 19-20 football plan enrollment numbers. I realize coops may be a little different but I doubt it would change things much. Leave about 20 in the first division, put 32 in the second and maybe there are about 50 teams remaining. I count 2 privates in the top division, 2 in the second and 3 in the third. What does a 3 class system accomplish?

I cheer against the privates all the time too, but to say we are going to start putting classes together based on winning percentage is foolish. If that's the case let's just put everyone new regions every year: all the previous year region winners go into the same regions, runners up in another, etc.

I should ignore this topic but I'm tired of hearing that "my team doesn't win enough, my team really is good but the competition is just too hard."
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby OLDBBfAN » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:47 pm

If they keep adjusting the football plan. They why have they never addressed the basketball enrollments. Lets have 2 Classes for football. It's outdated and doesn't make since every other state has figured this out except ND.
OLDBBfAN
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:57 pm

OLDBBfAN wrote:My point is that instead of complaining about the private schools push for a 3 Class system and put them all in the middle Class. With the split between Class A & B at 325 it is way out of wack with large Class A and small Class A. Even in Class B the larger schools seem to have the advantage year after year (this includes all the coops).

I don't see what that has to do with MT having better basketball than ND, but I'll take your word for it that it's a good point.

muley14 wrote:Take a look at the 19-20 football plan enrollment numbers. I realize coops may be a little different but I doubt it would change things much. Leave about 20 in the first division, put 32 in the second and maybe there are about 50 teams remaining. I count 2 privates in the top division, 2 in the second and 3 in the third. What does a 3 class system accomplish?

I would feel pretty certain the private schools in the smallest class will opt up.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby spins » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:23 pm

muley14 wrote:I don't believe the NDHSAA will (or should) create divisions by any other method than enrollment.

Take a look at the 19-20 football plan enrollment numbers. I realize coops may be a little different but I doubt it would change things much. Leave about 20 in the first division, put 32 in the second and maybe there are about 50 teams remaining. I count 2 privates in the top division, 2 in the second and 3 in the third. What does a 3 class system accomplish?

I cheer against the privates all the time too, but to say we are going to start putting classes together based on winning percentage is foolish. If that's the case let's just put everyone new regions every year: all the previous year region winners go into the same regions, runners up in another, etc.

I should ignore this topic but I'm tired of hearing that "my team doesn't win enough, my team really is good but the competition is just too hard."

Na...i dont feel its like that. When true class B teams are have good stretches like Berthold and Rugby a few years back, I think people tip there hats to them...they dont whine about them. People understand that there are stretches when these small towns can thrive and be the best...the point is, its sometimes...not all the time.

What are we talking about here, maybe 7 or 8 private schools out of 110 total schools ?
I understand i get too worked up over it, but while driving thru rural ND i really enjoy seeing the sign in a small town that says "state champ".
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm from a very small school, our team has never won a state game in the history, but the next three years we will have a very good chance the next three years, and maybe even win state. I would feel more satisfaction beating the bigger schools then winning a class c state. Not everyone was meant win a state championship!!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm

muley14 wrote:Take a look at the 19-20 football plan enrollment numbers. I realize coops may be a little different but I doubt it would change things much. Leave about 20 in the first division, put 32 in the second and maybe there are about 50 teams remaining. I count 2 privates in the top division, 2 in the second and 3 in the third. What does a 3 class system accomplish?

I would feel pretty certain the private schools in the smallest class will opt up.[/quote]

Shiloh didn't in the last go around...
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Shiloh didn't in the last go around...

I was talking basketball if they went to 3 classes.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys