Dunking In Warm Up

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:54 am

Through out the years (33 of them)....... I've watched countless warm ups and have witnessed some very good Dunking displays....Tronis McKay comes to mind.....he did at least 5 every warm up I've watched him in (15-20 or so)... State Tourns included...Scott Guldseth was good ...Brandon Chrest etc etc

I've only seen 2 games start with a Technical throughout the 33 years and I've only seen one time where it started with 2 Technical Fouls on the same team and that was Thursday night...

what have you seen?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby pterodactyl5 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Last Tuesday the North Star, DVE game started off with a technical due to dunking. However I think you should be able to dunk in warm ups. If you can dunk in a game, you should be able to dunk in warm ups.
pterodactyl5
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:00 pm

The reason for not dunking is they don't want to have backboards breaking before the game. Also I believe it as safety measure to pervent kids getting injured. The number of dunks in game are very few usually and generally not where they hanging on the rims like they like to do in warmups. These were the reasons I have heard of for not dunking in warmups.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby leroybla » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 pm

I watched the Central Cass MASCOT dunk during warmups in a full length Squirrel suit (Logan McLean, 6'6" wrestler) during District 2 warmups. Got a warning.
leroybla
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby woodchuck10 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Region 4 tourney 2008 third place game Munich-Starkweather had 4 technicals for dunking in warmups. They played Warwick. Munich started the game down by 7 I think and ended up winning
User avatar
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:38 pm
Location: St. John, North Dakota

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby BBfan4life » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 pm

I don't know if I agree with the tech. during warm ups for it but I am not sure why you would even do it. If you are a "dunker" you might get one or two a year so to be practicing that during warmups is probably just a show boating visual. I don't know many great coaches that would encourage that as well. I am guessing there are many more quality shots to work on in warm ups than a dunk.
BBfan4life
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 pm

sometimes you have to use "common sense"

The NCAA approved a lot of rules to make college basketball better. The shot clock is now 30 seconds instead of 35! Teams can now only call three timeouts in the second half! Joy!

But perhaps the least important -- and best -- rule change of all: PLAYERS CAN NOW DUNK IN PREGAME WARMUPS WOOOOOOOOOO.

There was no good reason for the rule preventing dunks in warmups. It wasn't a matter of player safety: If dunks were particularly dangerous, they'd be outlawed in games in addition to before them. It wasn't a matter of preventing delays or saving facilities: When Siena broke a backboard before a game this year, they were assessed no penalty, because the dunk that broke the board came prior to the 20-minute countdown during which dunks were illegal.

There was just the one bad reason: That once upon a time, somebody believed dunking in warmups was a sign of bad sportsmanship. Dunking in pregame warmups, I imagine this person thought, could be unnecessarily intimidating to an opponent. Dunking in pregame warmups, they decided, was a sign players were too worried about showboating and not worried enough about practicing the layups and jumpers they need to be prepared.

Pregame warmups should be about getting the players and fans ready for an exciting basketball game, and if the players do exciting things to help facilitate that without hurting anybody, that's wonderful. Instead, it was outlawed.

And from time to time, it cost teams in actual basketball games. Kansas State picked up a technical before their 2014 NCAA Tournament game against Kentucky because a walk-on dunked at the 19:58 mark of warmups. North Florida picked up a tech for a pregame warmup this year, Tennessee Tech hit both free throws, and UNF lost by two.

College basketball will be slightly more fun and more reasonable at no expense to anybody. I think that's pretty good! Thanks for the common sense, NCAA, for once.....

By Rodger Sherman Jun 9, 2015

my (winner-within) perspective is this.....dunking is and has always been part of the game of basketball just like Dribbling passing and shooting when it comes to Offense....

I think it is totally wrong to look at a dunk as "show boating"

I also know that it is a rule as we speak that you can't do it in warm up otherwise a Technical can be given out....so one has to respect that
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby popefro » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:50 am

Winner, please realize ( maybe you do) that it wasn't too terribly long ago grabbing the rim while dunking in a game was a technical. Pretty sure it was like this until the late 80s early 90s. I particularly remember watching Brian Buhr of Page get called for a technical at Fargo Civic during districts around '86 or so. Not that I was a dunker, but jumping that high in the air, slamming er home and NOT grabbing the rim must've been hard, although I do recall Mike Hanson of Oak Grove slamming many home without getting the "T"...he was able to finesse that baby in without grabbing rim....anyways what it came down to back then is backboards broke fairly easy since they weren't break-aways back then...I'm not aware of many people havin the force to break a new generation backboard. With that said, I have no idea why they decided to leave the rule the way it is in at warmups.
popefro
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:26 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:14 pm

if the rims are set to tight (like many are and should be checked) the backboard shatters when the rim snaps back into place.....not from the actual Dunk .....a lot of schools won't soften them because it makes for a shooters Hoop, so they leave them tight and the ball wont fall unless its right on the money!

I know Cavalier has new rims and they're way to tight.............
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby classbman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I personally don't care for the dunks in pre game. I don't mind seeing the players that can do it get up there and drop it in. Knowing they can do it, I believe, is what is important to them. If we open it up for slam fest pre game then I think it will devolve into something.....well......NBAish.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:59 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 am

winner-within wrote:if the rims are set to tight (like many are and should be checked) the backboard shatters when the rim snaps back into place.....not from the actual Dunk .....a lot of schools won't soften them because it makes for a shooters Hoop, so they leave them tight and the ball wont fall unless its right on the money!

I know Cavalier has new rims and they're way to tight.............


That is a really interesting point. I would be willing to bet that when the rims were put up, no one thought about adjusting the tightness, they just put them up and made sure they were level and at the right height. I helped put up all six backboards in our gym (when we switched from the old tin ones) and none of us thought about adjusting the tightness of the rims.
Sportsrube
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 am

Sportsrube wrote:
winner-within wrote:if the rims are set to tight (like many are and should be checked) the backboard shatters when the rim snaps back into place.....not from the actual Dunk .....a lot of schools won't soften them because it makes for a shooters Hoop, so they leave them tight and the ball wont fall unless its right on the money!

I know Cavalier has new rims and they're way to tight.............


That is a really interesting point. I would be willing to bet that when the rims were put up, no one thought about adjusting the tightness, they just put them up and made sure they were level and at the right height. I helped put up all six backboards in our gym (when we switched from the old tin ones) and none of us thought about adjusting the tightness of the rims.



A lot of rims are higher out front then they are in the back by the Board (this is indication of to tight) ....easy fix is get a level on it and adjust.....when the day of break away rims come about many schools were bolting them to the old semi-round backboards....a lot of those boards broke from a true dunk with force because the glass was not as thick or tempered the way the newer square ones are.....If 250 pound LeBron can hang from one so can any player in ND, MN or lets say nation wide can.....but if you grab on and break it down and then let go on a real tight rim it can shatter when it snaps back into place.....I know because I've experienced both scenarios :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:50 pm

classbman wrote:I personally don't care for the dunks in pre game. I don't mind seeing the players that can do it get up there and drop it in. Knowing they can do it, I believe, is what is important to them. If we open it up for slam fest pre game then I think it will devolve into something.....well......NBAish.


Well you won't see NBAish even at NDSU or UND let alone Class B ND :)
and I agree there is a time a place for it and pre-game is not one of them necessarily although a good throw down dosn't hurt anything IMO

I say it should be up to the Coach, then the refs don't have to worry about it, or consistency of enforcing the effects of it....because we know its inconsistent plain and simple and I'm not pointing fingers, I'm pointing out facts... :) ...in a good way
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby BBB_LAVARBALL » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:27 pm

How hard is it to get a rule like that changed? The players, i feel would be all for it. Nothing is wrong with a pre game jam session by a team. It would make warmups exciting and i feel would get younger fans more involved and hyped up for the game.
BBB_LAVARBALL
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby Flip » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 pm

winner-within wrote:I think it is totally wrong to look at a dunk as "show boating"

A couple weeks ago I saw a left handed kid, in practice, go up for dunk cupping the ball like Michael Jordan used too. It definitely wasn't the easiest way to get 2 points. Would you consider that "show boating?"

btw he missed the dunk

BBB_LAVARBALL wrote:How hard is it to get a rule like that changed? The players, i feel would be all for it. Nothing is wrong with a pre game jam session by a team. It would make warmups exciting and i feel would get younger fans more involved and hyped up for the game.

Changing the rule isn't hard, they changed the mercy rule after one year, but I don't think there is any push by coaches to get this changed.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:I think it is totally wrong to look at a dunk as "show boating"

A couple weeks ago I saw a left handed kid, in practice, go up for dunk cupping the ball like Michael Jordan used too. It definitely wasn't the easiest way to get 2 points. Would you consider that "show boating?"

btw he missed the dunk

BBB_LAVARBALL wrote:How hard is it to get a rule like that changed? The players, i feel would be all for it. Nothing is wrong with a pre game jam session by a team. It would make warmups exciting and i feel would get younger fans more involved and hyped up for the game.

Changing the rule isn't hard, they changed the mercy rule after one year, but I don't think there is any push by coaches to get this changed.


A missed dunk in a game or even practice sends a Negative to the crowd even more than a missed layup simply because the theory is he could have just done a layup....but like I said, I've seen countless missed layups and few missed dunks.....show boating can be done in all facets of the game on Offence... passing, dribbling, one handed layup..... a person could easily consider a cup dunk show boating but like I've said before this is all up to the Coach....Coach K from Duke is far from promoating flamboyancy but I've seen some of his players throughout the years put on a show.......playing ball in a severe strict sence with old school fundamentals is hard to find anymore but it is still fun to watch.....I still say the day comes when you'll see even girls dunking ....things evolve and the game of basketball is evolving.....more and more players in Class B and Class A ND can dunk nowadays....in my day with the old slippery Wilson ball and no break away rims a Dunk was a huge deal....now its common place... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby d_fense » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:13 pm

winner-within wrote:Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?


I don't get this post.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 am

d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?


I don't get this post.


in a nutshell... some teams (usually ranked in state poll) get their showtime....
the only person/persons who can apply the penalty/penalties are not around

so then does that mean they (person/persons) believe this will intimidate the opponent, for a game advantage?

some may think I'm trying to be funny or facetious................but I know this forum is full of Teachers Coaches, HS administration, Referees, etc etc and I am seeking answers and or info :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 pm

winner-within wrote:
d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?


I don't get this post.


in a nutshell... some teams (usually ranked in state poll) get their showtime....
the only person/persons who can apply the penalty/penalties are not around

so then does that mean they (person/persons) believe this will intimidate the opponent, for a game advantage?

some may think I'm trying to be funny or facetious................but I know this forum is full of Teachers Coaches, HS administration, Referees, etc etc and I am seeking answers and or info :)

I don’t think I’ve been to a game in the last 30 years where the refs have been out the first 5 or so minutes of warmup regardless of team ranking.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:
d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?


I don't get this post.


in a nutshell... some teams (usually ranked in state poll) get their showtime....
the only person/persons who can apply the penalty/penalties are not around

so then does that mean they (person/persons) believe this will intimidate the opponent, for a game advantage?

some may think I'm trying to be funny or facetious................but I know this forum is full of Teachers Coaches, HS administration, Referees, etc etc and I am seeking answers and or info :)

I don’t think I’ve been to a game in the last 30 years where the refs have been out the first 5 or so minutes of warmup regardless of team ranking.


I've been to 10 games this year where the only 2 times they were not out was when 2 ranked teams were playing...have seen 2 technicals
with the tight rims in the one warm-up very very lucky no shattered glass, when the rim snapped back up...

Oh and I forgot to ask Flying Wallenda.....in your 30 years have you witnessed a Dunk in warm-ups or a T for doing one?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 am

winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:
d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?


I don't get this post.


in a nutshell... some teams (usually ranked in state poll) get their showtime....
the only person/persons who can apply the penalty/penalties are not around

so then does that mean they (person/persons) believe this will intimidate the opponent, for a game advantage?

some may think I'm trying to be funny or facetious................but I know this forum is full of Teachers Coaches, HS administration, Referees, etc etc and I am seeking answers and or info :)

I don’t think I’ve been to a game in the last 30 years where the refs have been out the first 5 or so minutes of warmup regardless of team ranking.


I've been to 10 games this year where the only 2 times they were not out was when 2 ranked teams were playing...have seen 2 technicals
with the tight rims in the one warm-up very very lucky no shattered glass, when the rim snapped back up...

Oh and I forgot to ask Flying Wallenda.....in your 30 years have you witnessed a Dunk in warm-ups or a T for doing one?

Jv game gets done, refs go down to get a drink, take a leak, visit, etc. varsity’s warm up - layup lines -dunking ensues. 5-10 minutes elapses - refs come back out, dunking ceases. Refs NEVER stay out the entire time during warmups. Personally dunked in warmup often, witnessed it, have seen a t from it but only a couple times.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:
d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?


I don't get this post.


in a nutshell... some teams (usually ranked in state poll) get their showtime....
the only person/persons who can apply the penalty/penalties are not around

so then does that mean they (person/persons) believe this will intimidate the opponent, for a game advantage?

some may think I'm trying to be funny or facetious................but I know this forum is full of Teachers Coaches, HS administration, Referees, etc etc and I am seeking answers and or info :)

I don’t think I’ve been to a game in the last 30 years where the refs have been out the first 5 or so minutes of warmup regardless of team ranking.


I've been to 10 games this year where the only 2 times they were not out was when 2 ranked teams were playing...have seen 2 technicals
with the tight rims in the one warm-up very very lucky no shattered glass, when the rim snapped back up...

Oh and I forgot to ask Flying Wallenda.....in your 30 years have you witnessed a Dunk in warm-ups or a T for doing one?

Jv game gets done, refs go down to get a drink, take a leak, visit, etc. varsity’s warm up - layup lines -dunking ensues. 5-10 minutes elapses - refs come back out, dunking ceases. Refs NEVER stay out the entire time during warmups. Personally dunked in warmup often, witnessed it, have seen a t from it but only a couple times.


not sure if this is a rule or just policy....in general, your description of a nite of ball, is for the most part what folks see...if of course they are even paying attention (not everybody watches arm-ups)....not to condradict or lets say debate but I'm wondering how does a T happen then?
and don't say "it happens when the refs do arrive" :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:38 am

winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:
d_fense wrote:
winner-within wrote:Looks like the Ranked teams get their 5 minutes to put on a show.....Perceived intimidation perhaps by the regulators?


I don't get this post.


in a nutshell... some teams (usually ranked in state poll) get their showtime....
the only person/persons who can apply the penalty/penalties are not around

so then does that mean they (person/persons) believe this will intimidate the opponent, for a game advantage?

some may think I'm trying to be funny or facetious................but I know this forum is full of Teachers Coaches, HS administration, Referees, etc etc and I am seeking answers and or info :)

I don’t think I’ve been to a game in the last 30 years where the refs have been out the first 5 or so minutes of warmup regardless of team ranking.


I've been to 10 games this year where the only 2 times they were not out was when 2 ranked teams were playing...have seen 2 technicals
with the tight rims in the one warm-up very very lucky no shattered glass, when the rim snapped back up...

Oh and I forgot to ask Flying Wallenda.....in your 30 years have you witnessed a Dunk in warm-ups or a T for doing one?

Jv game gets done, refs go down to get a drink, take a leak, visit, etc. varsity’s warm up - layup lines -dunking ensues. 5-10 minutes elapses - refs come back out, dunking ceases. Refs NEVER stay out the entire time during warmups. Personally dunked in warmup often, witnessed it, have seen a t from it but only a couple times.


not sure if this is a rule or just policy....in general, your description of a nite of ball, is for the most part what folks see...if of course they are even paying attention (not everybody watches arm-ups)....not to condradict or lets say debate but I'm wondering how does a T happen then?
and don't say "it happens when the refs do arrive" :)

Only the refs can drop a T - so, sorry to say, it happens when the refs arrive - kids don’t see them, refs walk on into the gym as kid rises to dunk.......T!!!!
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Dunking In Warm Up

Postby winner-within » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 pm

In Adams ND...lets say a few (quite a) years back....I recall a Tandem of refs (Schneider & Knoll I believe)
I was team Captain....and during the pregame Captain & Ref session they told me we'd be starting the game with a T on me for dunking.....Schneider (I believe) told me he wanted to set the tone because they would T me "when you get to Regionals" ....it was my last regular season game of my Senior year... Districts rolled around and we lost by 1 in OT to Cavalier in Cavalier to go to Regionals......who was reffing that contest? ....Schneider and Knoll..... :)

the game this season in where I witnessed a game starting with 4 free throw shots (first time ever for me) for 2 T's on same team, the Refs never left the floor.....the Players had no Idea they had T's coming......I talked to the ref....he said One for dunking one for hanging on the Rim.......

so the thread for me has been, lets say enlightning or rather interesting....In general it seems like there is a nonchalant of "Winner, it is what it is" which in fact I think there is truth to that.......not in any way am I degrading or disrespecting an Official....I have reffed a lot in my days and had my State reffing licence for 1 season....so I know how it goes......once again, I think that if it is allowed in a game, it should be allowed in warm-ups and the reason for that would be... if the Rule isn't consistent, or if it is overlooked in some gyms and not the other, well then, it could lead to the School itself making an ordenence of "no dunking" overall....not even in game....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Next

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest