scores

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

scores

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:12 pm

why can't we in this day and age be able get some good score updates with box scores, is it that hard to do.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: scores

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:why can't we in this day and age be able get some good score updates with box scores, is it that hard to do.

Forum is understaffed and therefore won't have many this year! Herald & Tribune have their area scores
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ProudPirate » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 pm

It's pretty sad Class B doesn't get any press anymore, & yes a box score would be great again. It's not all on forum tho either, coaches & ad's need to be reporting them too. I used to really look forward to seeing box scores if not next day, following for sure, but we all know you need to be a Bison to be in the forum.
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 pm

ProudPirate wrote:It's pretty sad Class B doesn't get any press anymore, & yes a box score would be great again. It's not all on forum tho either, coaches & ad's need to be reporting them too. I used to really look forward to seeing box scores if not next day, following for sure, but we all know you need to be a Bison to be in the forum.

Forum has asked for no box scores...A or B (unless the game is being covered by the Forum); ADs & Coaches send in information...newspaper chooses how much to use...usually it's not much. Bismarck Tribune & GF Herald do a good job of posting their area's box scores...I use them A LOT!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Tell me if I remember this correctly, but I believe the Bismarck Tribune used to post scoring for each team and how man 3 pointers each team made and who made them. Probably had the team's total record and JV score. I'm talking ~20 years ago.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:49 am

you would think someone should be able to start their own website and have each school report in the surrounding areas, I would pay certain amount every year, good job for a college kid. i know each school does stats on an Ipad, not to hard to figure out.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:57 am

hoophoophoop wrote:you would think someone should be able to start their own website and have each school report in the surrounding areas, I would pay certain amount every year, good job for a college kid. i know each school does stats on an Ipad, not to hard to figure out.

You realize how hard it is to just get the simple scores reported each night (just the score...not the box scores)...not every school does/will report. I've been trying to have a reliable site for scores, standings, etc. and I'm up begging for scores each night. A job that should take 3 hours (7:30p to 10:30p) on a weeknight tends to push until 1:00a or later just to ensure accuracy and having the scores posted. If you aren't going to get just the bare minimum (the final score) accurately reported...then good luck getting an accurate box score.

I help with score retrieval for MN and ND (www.minnesota-scores.net; www.northdakota-scores.net & here respectively)...MN is LIGHTYEARS ahead of ND in reporting scores. The issues are within the Class B realm as Class A does an outstanding job updating on their respective conference websites; and the issues mostly occur in VB, BBB/GBB & Base/Soft
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby granfan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:04 pm

And thank you for doing the scores. http://www.northdakota-scores.net is the first place I go to check the Class B scores/rankings/etc. Your hard work is very much appreciated!

Run4Fun2009 wrote:You realize how hard it is to just get the simple scores reported each night (just the score...not the box scores)...not every school does/will report. I've been trying to have a reliable site for scores, standings, etc. and I'm up begging for scores each night. A job that should take 3 hours (7:30p to 10:30p) on a weeknight tends to push until 1:00a or later just to ensure accuracy and having the scores posted. If you aren't going to get just the bare minimum (the final score) accurately reported...then good luck getting an accurate box score.

I help with score retrieval for MN and ND (http://www.minnesota-scores.net; http://www.northdakota-scores.net & here respectively)...MN is LIGHTYEARS ahead of ND in reporting scores. The issues are within the Class B realm as Class A does an outstanding job updating on their respective conference websites; and the issues mostly occur in VB, BBB/GBB & Base/Soft
granfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsnut5 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm

There is no excuse for not posting scores, but one thing that coaches struggle with is finding statisticians. With the seasons running together, almost anyone that knows basketball is playing basketball in small towns. I know teams that use programs like Krossover to do their stats. This is a 24 to 48 hour turnaround from the time film is uploaded.

Another excuse, but there should be no excuses, is sometimes with coops, coaches are 30 miles away from home even for home games. By the time they get home, they have missed the timetable to get their score on TV or in the paper.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 am

Couple things have been really hard on the newspaper industry, the postal service and the internet. The postal service deadlines have had a big impact on press deadlines. Earlier deadlines coupled with fewer employees in the sports department reduce the likelihood of rural class B score making the morning paper. Gone are the days where a manager/statistician could call the 800 number and read the scorebook to a sports writer who typed it as it was read. You can just about forget about the fax machine anymore either. The best chance is to email a box score so the writer has to do little other than copy the email and paste it into the page layout. Get that in after 9:30 and it might be too late. That does not allow anyone much time, not for the coach/manager after the game, or the paper to meet press deadlines.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:04 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:Couple things have been really hard on the newspaper industry, the postal service and the internet. The postal service deadlines have had a big impact on press deadlines. Earlier deadlines coupled with fewer employees in the sports department reduce the likelihood of rural class B score making the morning paper. Gone are the days where a manager/statistician could call the 800 number and read the scorebook to a sports writer who typed it as it was read. You can just about forget about the fax machine anymore either. The best chance is to email a box score so the writer has to do little other than copy the email and paste it into the page layout. Get that in after 9:30 and it might be too late. That does not allow anyone much time, not for the coach/manager after the game, or the paper to meet press deadlines.

100% spot on. Another issue with the small towns outside of the large cities with daily newspapers is that not many people subscribe to the paper so the paper doesn't put a lot of emphasis on covering those towns/teams.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:48 pm

I can't see why this should be an issue. You have student managers/stats/bookkeeper, etc. Assign any one of them to type up an email with the scores, send it to every newspaper, tv station, website in the state with one click. Job done. You could even start out with a template of the home-team names. Once the game is over, I can't see how this could even take 10 minutes.

Another option: Years ago, the NDHSAA site had it set up so that you could enter game stats directly on their site to a pre-made form. Every school's stats had a consistent look. It was a bit cumbersome to type the stats in, but it wasn't too much of a chore. I would think that there should be some way to do something a little more refined now.

If a school doesn't post their team photo/roster by a certain date, they get fined. Why can't the NDHSAA require that each team post stats after each game, and then make those stats available for various media to access the stats?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 pm

The NDHSAA website is a mess...several years ago the stats were way easier to post...it's not that easy anymore; a couple years ago there was talk to do stats, State-wide, by the NDHSAA but they had no direction and the idea faltered fast.

Essentially, you aren't going to change the newspapers way of doing things. They will post final scores, but only from their areas and only what the AP receives & NOT every school reports to the AP as they should...I see this every night when I'm searching for scores.

Really it shouldn't be that hard to report scores...half of the State does an awesome job. I receive 30-40 scores a night (on busy nights) via email, twitter, texts, etc; there are still a few schools that I rarely see anything from and am constantly begging for scores each night.

Scores are listed here and posted within the northdakota-scores.net database and posted on that website. I can't commit to doing box scores as I just don't have the time to add that to a non-paying job that takes 2-3 hours a night to do. (Maybe next year when, hopefully, I'll have more of a steady work schedule).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby vikingman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:52 am

I never realized that NDHSAA had a 'scoreboard' page until this morning. What is surprising is that it DOES have an area for full individual stats.

So, they must have it set up collect and display these stats. Why aren't schools using it?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:15 pm

vikingman wrote:I never realized that NDHSAA had a 'scoreboard' page until this morning. What is surprising is that it DOES have an area for full individual stats.

So, they must have it set up collect and display these stats. Why aren't schools using it?

I'm sure coaches view it as "why would I put my stats up so coaches can get an idea of who my main guys are, who are shooters etc... if not everyone is required to do it"
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls