Region 3 17-18

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 3 17-18

Postby CentralCity » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Predictions, top players to watch, etc..
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Region 3 17-18

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:44 pm

I believe District 5 will come down to Carrington and EKM with Oakes and Ellendale being very solid also. As for top players I would pick Bickel (SP?) from Carrington, Hanson from EKM and the young Meehl (SP?) from Oakes.
In District 6 I will take LHMB (if Weisser is healthy) with Napoloen and Strasburg being very tough. If Napoleon upset LHMB I would not be surprised. For District 6 players you have to start with Jamison Fettig from Napoleon with Cole Baumiller (LHMB) being very solid as well. I also think Stetson Haak from Strasburg could be very good this year. Weisser will be tough in the middle for LHMB (again, if he is healthy) and Napoleon has a few other kids who shoot the ball very well. I think Strasburg may be the most athletic team from top to bottom in District 6 and you know their coach will have them ready at tournament time. Any of these three teams could end up winning District 6.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsfan111 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:08 pm

I really do not see anyone competing with Carrington in the region this year (unless Linton plays zone and Carrington shoots themselves out of the game like they did in last year's championship).
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:20 pm

My predictions: District 5: Carrington, EKM, Ellendale and Oakes. District 6: NGS, Linton-HMB, Strasburg-Zeeland and Kidder County.

Top 4 in Region: Carrington, EKM, NGS and Linton-HMB.

At the end of last season, I picked Carrington to win the region, so I will stick with that. They will miss Edland, but have a lot of talent returning. EKM was an up and coming team last year and has one of the region’s best players in Lane Hanson. Ellendale lost some key players, but always seem to be competitive, and Oakes had a really young team last year, that looked like it could be tough in the future.
NGS is very quick and can shoot the lights out when on fire, but unfortunately, that is not every game, so I can’t put them at the top of the region. Wouldn’t surprise me if they do well in the tournaments, though. Linton-HMB wasn’t very deep last year and lost a couple of really good players in Jared Baumiller and Vander Laan, and Strasburg-Zeeland returns a lot, but lost a really good player in Huizenga. Should be close between Linton, NGS and SZ, and any of them could win it. Kidder County may be a surprise. It should be noted that Jamison Fettig (NGS) suffered an injury in football and probably won’t play until after Christmas. Lance Weiser (LHMB) had shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago, and may be out until late January or longer.

Standout players in the region IMO are Hanson (EKM), Bickett (Carrington),Tyler Voightman (Oakes), Fettig, Ethan Kleppe and William Kleppe (NGS), Cole Baumiller and Weiser (LHMB) and Stetson Haak (SZ). These are players that stand out to me, but there are others I know I missed. I’m sure someone will jar my memory, though.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:49 am

Valley City looks improved.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 pm

heimer wrote:Valley City looks improved.

Keep beating that dead horse here

If VC ends up in Class B again...I'd like to see them join R1!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:23 am

heimer wrote:Valley City looks improved.

Are they fielding a team? I assumed their basketball numbers were following their football participation and they folding, or looking for a co-op.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am

With Linton-HMB losing their main post player for most of the season, I believe District 6 is Napoleon's to lose with Strasburg coming in 2nd. If Linton-HMB gets their guy back healthy by District time they could be a threat to Naopleon in the tournament. Outside of those 3, I don't think anyone in District 6 is a threat to Carrington or Edgely-Kulm in the Regional.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby CentralCity » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 pm

District 5:
1. Carrington- No brainer. Very talented, well coached, and they have one of the best pure scorers in the state.
Top players: Bickett, Vetter, Nelson
2.Edgeley- didn't lose much from last year. Well coached. Post can be a force.
Top players: Hanson, Huber
3. Ellendale- well coached, always tough come tournament time. Always good defensively.
Top players: Molan, Hofer
4. Oakes- will look to build off of last years team. Will be more experienced.
Top players: Meehle, Voightman, Muggli
5. Lamoure- decent athletes, will look to be competitive and make regionals
Top players: Kramer, Klever, Ness
6. Barnes County North- young and inexperienced. Will look to rebuild
Top players: Contreras, Roaldson
7. Midkota- will look to build off of last years momentum.
Top players: Smith

District 6:
1. Linton- barring Weisser's return for tournaments, they will be solid.
Top players: Baumiller, Weisser
2. Napoleon- streaky shooters, have one of the best athletes in the region.
Top players: Fettig, Kleppe
3. Strasburg-Zeeland- have a few talented players, some good athletes
Top players: Haak
4. Kidder County- Couple decent shooters
Top players: Schmidt, Pfaff
5. MPB- young and inexperienced.
6. South Border- will look to rebuild.
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:51 pm

I see Linton beat Napoleon in a very low scoring game last night. (I believe the final was 39-34). Anyone at this game? I didn't expect anyone to hold either one of these teams under 45 all year long. That is a big District win for Linton without Wiesser.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Other way around. NGS beat Linton 39-34
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:51 pm

The Schwab wrote:Other way around. NGS beat Linton 39-34

Ok, then the paper I read this morning had it wrong. Then its a big District win for Napoleon. I'm still very surprised that it was that low scoring of a game. Thanks for the correction.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 am

After watching the Stutsman County Tournament this weekend, Carrington and Edgely-Kulm-Montpelier are definitely the class of Region 3 at this point in the season. I don't think anyone from District 6 can beat either one of these teams come Regional Tournament time. Carrington is well coached, disciplined and talented.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wilbur » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:49 am

It is obvious that Carrington and Edgeley-K/M are head and shoulders above the rest of the field as the tournaments approach, but their opponents for the Region semifinals are up for grabs with the rest of District 5 and District 6 (which has only one team—Kidder County—with a winning record at the end of the regular season. I have seen strange things happen in this region in the past, but I am not going to go out on a limb and predict that any team from District 6 can win the region, although it wouldn’t surprise me to see two District 6 teams make the region semifinals. It’s a long shot, of course.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Wilbur wrote:It is obvious that Carrington and Edgeley-K/M are head and shoulders above the rest of the field as the tournaments approach, but their opponents for the Region semifinals are up for grabs with the rest of District 5 and District 6 (which has only one team—Kidder County—with a winning record at the end of the regular season. I have seen strange things happen in this region in the past, but I am not going to go out on a limb and predict that any team from District 6 can win the region, although it wouldn’t surprise me to see two District 6 teams make the region semifinals. It’s a long shot, of course.

Agree 100% that this is Carrington's and EKM's region. Linton-HMB is better now that Weisser is healthy and playing and KC is a very good team, but I don't see them really challenging the top 2 from District 5. I know anything can happen in one game, but talent wise, Carrington and EKM are the best 2 teams in this Region and it probably isn't really that close. The only edge Linton-HMB may have over either of those 2 teams is a veteran coach who has been there many times and knows how to get his guys ready to play in a 1 game elimination tournament. I would not be surprised to see District 5 have 3 teams in the semi-finals of the Region 3 Tourny.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby CentralCity » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:59 pm

Apparently Lamoure should be tossed in with Carrington and EKM? Sure gave Carrington a hard time tonight. I really question what Carrington does on the offensive end. Players that should not be shooting very much are taking tough shots. Their best 2 players have no chance to get going. Almost no screens for the best player (maybe) in the region. Just weird to me. From the games I’ve been to, it’s been the same every time.

Congrats to Mason Smith (Midkota) on 1000 points as well.
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wilbur » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 am

As bad as District 6 is, I will make a bold prediction and say that the two finalists (Strasburg-Zeeland and Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter) for the District 6 Tournament will reach the semi-finals of the Region 3 Tournament. I picked them 1-2 in the district at the beginning of the season. Despite their record, Strasburg-Zeeland is playing really well, and I don’t know what to make of NGS except that they find ways to win in the post-season. Both will be a tough out in the region. On the flip side, the 3 and 4 teams out of District 6 will be done playing on March 5, and I will be utterly shocked if they aren’t.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 am

If LaMoure can put a full game together they can contend, they are well coached and competitive. Carrington is not the clear favorite, it's anyone's region at this point. I actually see EKM beating Carrington for the District 5 Championship.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Entertaining District 5 championship tonight. Carrington built an 18 point lead in the first half only to have EKM tie it. Carrington slowly pulled away in the 4th for the 10 point win. Lane Hanson was a force for EKM scoring 35. Bickett for Carrington scored 25. Both teams looked good but if Carrington plays like they did tonight, they’ll be tough to beat in Region 3.

I’ll go out on a limb and say it will be a District 5 sweep in the first round.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:37 pm

My predictions for Region 3 Tournament quarterfinals are

Carrington over Kidder County (may be more competitive game than people think)
Napoleon/G-S over Ellendale
Strasburg-Zeeland over LaMoure/L-M
Edgeley-K/M over Linton-HMB
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:01 pm

I know I said earlier that Carrington and EKM are the cream of the crop in Region 3, and I expected them to meet in the region championship game. That may still hold true, but I think there are going to be some very close games and possibly even some upsets in the first two rounds. I think Carrington will win its quarterfinal game with Kidder County, but it will be a lot closer than expected, especially in the first half. I expect Napoleon/G-S to get by Ellendale in another close game, and Strasburg-Zeeland will beat LaMoure/L-M. EKM should defeat Linton-HMB, even though I expect the LHMB to stay close at least for awhile.
In the semi-finals, I pick Carrington over NGS in another fairly close game, and I will go out on a limb and predict Strasburg-Zeeland to beat EKM in the other semi-final. I know EKM pounded SZ in December, but the Clippers are playing at a different level now. They are confident and will be playing as the underdogs for most of the tournament. I think Carrington will emerge as the region champion, although the rout and opponents the Cardinals will face may be different than most expect.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan111 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm

CentralCity wrote:Apparently Lamoure should be tossed in with Carrington and EKM? Sure gave Carrington a hard time tonight. I really question what Carrington does on the offensive end. Players that should not be shooting very much are taking tough shots. Their best 2 players have no chance to get going. Almost no screens for the best player (maybe) in the region. Just weird to me. From the games I’ve been to, it’s been the same every time.

Congrats to Mason Smith (Midkota) on 1000 points as well.

IMO Carrington is at there best when their best two players are creating shots for their teammates and moving the ball. I am not sure who you are referring to when you speak of players that should not be shooting? I would argue all of Carrington's players are capable of scoring.

If Carrington is moving the ball and taking good shots- I think they win the region fairly easily.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 pm

“I’ll go out on a limb and say it will be a District 5 sweep in the first round”. Good call, NodakQ2!
I was waiting for more posts on this thread before the start of the tournament, and thought I would shake it up a little with some wild predictions.
I didn’t underestimate District 5, I just overestimated District 6. Should have stuck to my original prediction. If I’m allowed another prediction the rest of the way, I will say that Carrington and EKM meet in the finals, and Carrington gets the title in a close one. The semi-finals, however, may be closer than expected.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Region 3 has been primarily in its current alignment (District 5 and 6) since the 1998-99 season, and District 5’s sweep of the quarterfinals on Tuesday was the first time one of the districts won all four games in the quarterfinals, but it was only the fourth time that District 5 won more than two games in the opening round, and the first time since 2005 (P-B-K, LaMoure and Kulm). District 5 also had three teams in the Region 3 semi-finals in 2002 (P-B-K, LaMoure and Litchville-Marion-Montpelier) and 200 (LaMoure, Barnes County North and L-M-M).
District 6 had three teams in the Region 3 semi-finals six times (2008-2010; 2013, 2014 and 2016) from 2008-16, but never won all four games in the quarterfinals.
Since 1999, District 5 has had both teams in the championship on five occasions—1999 (L-M-M and Ellendale), 2006 (P-B-K and LaMoure), 2015 (LaMoure and Oakes), 2017 (Ellendale and Carrington), and this year (??). In the same span, District 6 has had both teams in the title game just twice in 2012 (Linton-HMB and Napoleon) and 2014 (Linton-HMB and Strasburg-Zeeland). However, District 6 has had 11 region champions, while District will have 9, including this season.

When most of the teams in the region were in Region 5 (1993-98) with two districts (Districts 9 and 10), District 10 won at least 3 opening round games three times (1994, 1996 an 1998), including quarterfinals sweeps in 1994 (Linton, Shiloh Christian, Wishek and Strasburg) and 1996 (Shiloh, Linton, Strasburg and Medina-Cleveland). In 1998, Shiloh, Linton and Napoleon from District 10 reached the region semi-finals. District 9 had three semi-finalists in 1995 (L-M-M, Gackle-Streeter and Edgeley) and 1997 (L-M-M, Gackle-Streeter and Edgeley), and each district split their first round games in quarterfinals in the first year of the format in 1992-93 (Gackle-Streeter, Linton, LaMoure and Wishek).

Just food for thought for people interested in Region 3 Boys’ Basketball.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan111 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 pm

If Nelson plays, Carrington wins. If he’s out, I’ll go with EKM.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys